Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 vs Nissan Sentra

radical_dreameradical_dreame Posts: 1
edited March 7 in Mazda
Please help me convince my brother to buy a 2004 Mazda 3 over a 2002 Nissan Sentra. Please!

My family is currently car shopping and for some weird reason my brother to get a nissan sentra. Ugggg. Ewwwww.

Anyways, the one he found is 2002 Nissan Sentra with 40K miles for $9,000.

I found a 2002 Mazda 3 S, with 20k miles for 15,000. Please what do i need to do to convince him. We gotta travel 100 miles to test drive both.

Also what do i need to do to convince my parents that the 3 is much better than the sentra even with that huge price difference.

Comments

• thenebeanthenebean Posts: 1,124
    if he likes it, why do you feel the need to convince him otherwise? the sentra is a good small car. how old is your brother? also, what is his budget with regards to a car purchase? sometimes, the nicer cars just aren't in your price range. there's no point in stretching yourself thin for no reason. the sentra will get your brother from point A to point B just like the mazda 3...

just my opinion though!

-thene :)
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The only problem with a Sentra is the lack of legroom in the back seat. $9000 sounds a bit high for a 2002, however it is difficult to price without more details.
    Sentra will deliver better mpg, Mazda 3 will deliver better handling.
    Other than personal preference, what is your argument for or against each vehicle?
  • thenebeanthenebean Posts: 1,124
    the sentra is kinda small in the back seat, but most compact cars are like this - the mazda 3 doesnt have THAT much more room, in my opinion. i own a sentra, and a friend of mine has a mazda 3. both great cars!

either way, i think a lot of it will have to do on how much your bro wants to spend, and what you can negotiate for prices on the two cars.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    The wife has a '05 3s and it's way better than the '03 Sentra I traded this past June. No comparison in my opinion. Contrary to what others say, the Sentra's mileage was pretty lousy and the only things good about it were the standard non-ABS brakes and the Road Trip Package sound system. Besides those 2 things, the car was as bland as can be. The 3 is a much better vehicle hands down.
    Good luck!

The Sandman :)
  • Just read the Mazda 3 vs Honda Civic review if they need any convincing. "The 3 did things at the track that would have impressed us in a car that cost $10,000 more." $15,000 sounds a little high for the 2004 Mazda 3 though unless it's fully loaded. The base Mazda 3 S is pretty nice by itself if you don't need features like leather seats, moonroof etc. I remember I was checking out a new 2005 Mazda 3 I touring a year ago and it was 15,000 out the door.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I remember I was checking out a new 2005 Mazda 3 I touring a year ago and it was 15,000 out the door

Wow, that's cheap. The base Mazda3 i with a 5-speed manual started at $15,150. The Mazda3 i Touring with manual close to $17,000, $18,000 with an automatic...before taxes.

Back in 2005 they didn't offer the Touring model. It was the "power package" in 04-05.
    The performance models of the Sentra should be compared to the higher price Mazda 3 models.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "The performance models of the Sentra should be compared to the higher price Mazda 3 models."

Hmmmm, well considering that for 2007, there is NO SE-R or Spec V, then you're talking about the '06 models.

From a pure performance standpoint, the SE-R and Spec V are probably a better deal (particularly if you can find a dealer trying to blow out his remaining '06 models with the '07 models hitting the lots).

But, according to the Edmunds review of the '06 Sentra:

"It's still one of the fastest economy cars on the market in SE-R, but it's outclassed by its peers in most other areas. The Sentra's biggest drawback is its cramped cabin. It's hard to find a comfortable driving position and legroom is almost nonexistent in the backseat. A decent features list and the solid performance of the SE-R models still make the Nissan Sentra a viable choice, but most small-car buyers would be better served by the Civic or Mazda 3".
    Hmmmm, well considering that for 2007, there is NO SE-R or Spec V, then you're talking about the '06 models. :sick:

No rorr, I'm referring to the 2007 SE-R and SE-R Spec V models. Not 2006. Not 2008.
    They will be officially released at the end of this month at the LA Auto Show.

quote-
    All-new for 2007, the Nissan Sentra will once again have SE-R high performance models; both SE-R and SE-R Spec V. As a pioneer model in the field of sport compact cars, the 2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R offers more power, performance and technology to this highly acclaimed model. The SE-R Spec V model will be powered by a specifically designed high-output version of Nissan’s 2.5-liter DOHC 4-cylinder engine. Additional information on the SE-R with be announced at the LA Auto Show on November 29th.
    -end
    Hmmmmm, well when you said we should be comparing the SE-R and Spec V Sentras to the higher end Mazda3, HOW did you propose we do that for cars that nobody knows about?

BTW - before I made my last post I checked here at Edmunds for the 2007 Sentra (nope, they don't list the SE-R or Spec V models for '07) as well as under the "Future Cars" section.

If you'd like to compare the '07 Sentra SE-R and Spec V to the upper-end Mazda3, go right ahead........
    Hmmmmm, well when you said we should be comparing the SE-R and Spec V Sentras to the higher end Mazda3, HOW did you propose we do that for cars that nobody knows about? :sick:

Well, you did not know about them.........however, the major details of the SE-R and Spec V Sentra 07's have been released and known for the over 6 months.

BTW - before I made my last post I checked here at Edmunds for the 2007 Sentra (nope, they don't list the SE-R or Spec V models for '07) as well as under the "Future Cars" section. :sick:

2007's are not really "future" cars, are they?

If you'd like to compare the '07 Sentra SE-R and Spec V to the upper-end Mazda3, go right ahead........

I will later this month. ;)

He had better keep in mind that the "upper" Mazda3 is now the Mazdaspeed3.

Personally, I do not see much comparison between the Sentra SE-R Spec V and the Mazdaspeed3 until I see official data from Nissan.
    If the Spec V is priced near the $22,835 base price of the MazdaSpeed 3, then that would be the most relevant comparison.
    IMO, all trim levels of the Sentra are overpriced, and if the Spec V does approch $23,000....it is going to be found lacking compared to the M'Speed 3.
    I have been unable to really find anything on the 07 SE-R Spec V. Have you seen any official info? If so, where can I find it?
    "....however, the major details of the SE-R and Spec V Sentra 07's have been released and known for the over 6 months."

And the major details are.......? C'mon already, we're dying in suspense.

BTW - I looked in the "future cars" sections becaaaaaaaaaause....the '07 SE-R and Spec V models AREN'T OUT yet. :P
    All I have been able to find is that the car will be debuting at the LA Auto Show later this month....numerous sites stating "....the SE-R Spec V will have more power then it's predesessor..."
    Yep; that's about all I've been able to find out as well.

I'm still trying to find out what 'major details' about the upcoming car were released 6 months ago.... :confuse:
    :blush: As I stated on 12 Nov and which is now confirmed
    07 Sentra SE-R Spec V
    200 HP
    Limited Slip
    17" wheels
    6 speed manual
    It will be interesting to see how this stacks up against the Civic Si and VW GTI
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    agreed. it seems like it should be able to keep up with the gti, given its amount of torque, and it may even leave the si behind because of that same reason, although i think the civic will still out handle both vehicles.
This discussion has been closed.