Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Get ready for a potentially long wait. I ordered the 07 4-Door Rubicon on Aug 15. After many follow up calls, around the first week in December, I also found out that the manuf assigned my car a VIN. After 2 more months I finally got the call that the car will be here on Feb 12th (almost 6 months from the day it was ordered). I suspect by now they have reached production capacity and all the initial manufacturing issues have been worked out - and you won't have to wait as long as I did. But, either way I'm sure it will be worth the wait (I'll let you know next week when/if it arrives) Good luck.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I suspect by now they have reached production capacity and all the initial manufacturing issues have been worked out

Not quite:

(SHG) Electronic front sway bar w/o Rubicon model has a Job #1 of 2/15/07

(DSH) Locker rear axle has a Job #1 of 2/15/07

(GWK) Sunrider soft top with 2-Door has a Job #1 of 3/19/07

The estimated lead time is 12 - 14 weeks at the moment, though this could change at any time of course.
  • EEK ! And I thought 9 weeks was long ! I hope that somebody (DEALER ? ) makes your LONG wait up to you somehow .But (when the wait is over) and it's summer time, and the top is off , WHO CARES ! ;)
  • Here are some more photos of winter here in WNY...and what happens if you slack off in snow removal.
    http://www.carspace.com/giantsin06/?50@@.59f1a27b :sick:
  • Please pardon the newcomer for asking what may be an obvious question - but I'm expecting delivery of my new 07 Unlim Rub 4-door next week (my first Jeep). I'll be using the jeep for 75% local urban commuting, etc.(sorry but I have to earn a living), 20% long weekend travel to and around mountain house with fairly rugged access and on-property trails, 5% (more hopefully) increasingly rugged 4x4 weekend get-away trips (rubicon trail, etc.)
    My question - what are the obvious modification that you would do in order to be 'trail ready.' Here is my list from my "jeep friend" - but I welcome comments and suggestions:
    (1) front bumper (Warn)
    (2) rear bumper (Warn, but at least 2 months until its ready)
    (3) Air intake system (Airaid or AEM - could someone tell me why this is not a factory spec if it is such an "obvious" upgrade to hp and torque?)
    (4) winch (Warn 8k lbs - is this enough?)
    (5) lights- side mirror mounted (I guess you can never have enough light)
    I suspect somewhere in the future there may be a lift kit, but think I need to learn more about the jeep first and how I'm using it before making this commitment. Thoughts?
  • guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    Yesterday a two door X arrived at my local dealer and I had a chance to look at it up close. My initial impressions include:

1) The interior is far more comfortable and spacious than that of my 2004 X, with one exception. That is the height from the seat to the roll bar. Even with the seat height adjuster all the way down, I hit my head on the bar every time I tried entering the vehicle. This never happens in my '04.

2) The front fenders are a LOT of plastic compared to only the previous lips. The temperature was below zero yesterday and I did a bit of pushing and tugging on the fenders to get a feel for their durability. Although nothing seemed ready to break, there was not much flex in them. Also not sure what the vehicle would look like when they begin to fade. I touch mine up a couple of times a year, but these would need a gallon of anti-fade and a 4" brush.

3) There does not seem to be availability of deep tinted rear and rear side windows on soft top only models this year.

Overall, this may be a better vehicle and value than the previous version, but the lowered toll bar clearance may be fatal flaw for me. Darn.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    1&2, I'd personally avoid Warn bumpers. Their open box design isn't as strong as the box designed versions out there. That is why I run a Jeeperman, which now makes bumpers for the JK (2007).

3, it's not standard, esp for an offroad vehicle because (1) that means they don't make $$ replacing or selling replacements and (2) they tend to let more dirt and junk into the air intake, which is bad for an engine. Offroad vehicles will (generally) see more offroad use.

4, 8k is okay, but 9k would be better. You never want to put a full strain on your winch if you can avoid it, and that 9k is just some extra breathing room.

5, Personal preference here. I have driving lights instead of fogs on the bumper, but I'm changing that to fogs on the bumper, driving lights on the hoop over the winch, and lights on the windshield frame (which cannot be used in regular traffic). Hella, PIAA, IPF, Warn all make great lights for the Jeep.

Enjoy your new JK. Keep in mind you'll pay more for JK parts than us TJ guys pay for parts since the TJ has been out since 96 as a 97 model year.

-Paul
    "The temperature was below zero yesterday and I did a bit of pushing and tugging on the fenders to get a feel for their durability. Although nothing seemed ready to break, there was not much flex in them. "

At below zero temps, I doubt anything is gonna flex much. Try your TJ flares and see how THEY handle the same temps. :)

-Paul
  • guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    -Paul

Your point is well taken. But I guess my frame of reference is that IF the plastic fender lips broke off my 2004 (regardless of temperature) I would still have fenders. Have you had a chance to personally look at the new design. There is a lot more plastic hanging there than I have ever seen on a vehicle and more than the printed literature portrays.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I suspect somewhere in the future there may be a lift kit, but think I need to learn more about the jeep first and how I'm using it before making this commitment.

At the risk of sounding boring, I'd learn more about your new Jeep in its standard form before committing to any modifications such as those you listed.

For one thing, it'll give you a baseline for comparison as you make changes later. For another, there's a lot more satisfaction to be had by developing the skills to learn the limits of your vehicle in its standard specification before adding to its capabilities. Until you learn the basic techniques you won't benefit too much from the add-ons. Just like a telescopic sight won't help much until you've learned the basics of breathing properly, squeezing the trigger, and using standard iron sights.

If you really want to treat your new ride to a few presents, why not look at some of the skid plates and undercarriage protection that's out there.

I'm sure the anticipation is making you antsy (in a good way), so now would be a good time to start sending off for the many, many catalogs of Jeep goodies available. Do your research and hold off from any big decisions for a while.

For what it's worth, I'd echo erickpl's opinions on your list, especially in regard to an alternate air filter.
    Yeah, I've seen the fenders and understand where you're coming from. I've also seen what Poison Spyder Customs is offering in the way of flat/tube fenders. :) THAT is the way I'd go on the JK. :)

-Paul
  • I agree about that roll bar. It is so close to my head. I'm fearful that hitting a certain bump at a certain speed will result in an impact on the head.
  • Check out http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/legends/heritage/index.html
    for pictures and comments on 65 years of Willys and Jeep . :D
  • does anybody know the towing limits on a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited equipped with an Automatic transmission? is it the same as the manual? (3500lbs).

Thanks
  • pkearpkear Posts: 26
    According to what I know which corosponds with the info at jeep.com it depends more upon your rear end gear ratio than transmission with auto and manual being the same. Now despite what the ability is of any vehicle you should have things like a transmission cooler if you are going to tow in the upper limits of your ability or for long distances at any weight.
  • At 998 miles driven (252 on this tank) I'm getting 15.3 mpg. Less than advertised...but when it's summet time and the top is off...YOU KNOW WHAT ! :P
  • We drove the 4 dr Wrangler Sahara hardtop on and off pavement. It was o.k., but overall not that impressive. It was/felt/drove 'big' compared to our 2 dr Unlimited we were looking to trade in. The 'new' engine, as others have mentioned, really,really needs more power. For the money DC is demanding, we expected more. After 5 Jeeps, perhaps our needs/wants have evolved. We paid $3,000 less and got a much quicker, more flexible vehicle for our needs here in WY, a '7 Xterra Off Road. Whereas, our 2 dr. Unlimited was fun off road, the X is fun on and off road.
  • Hello. Will some kind soul please remind me how to add photos ? Been there , done that...promptly forgot ! :sick: Thanks.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,955
    The easiest way is to upload them to your CarSpace page with the Add Photos link under one of your Albums (or create a new album).

Then when you click on one of your photos, a box will flop up with the html code you need to paste here to either link to your photo or put a photo in a post.

Here's the help faq about uploading photos to your CarSpace page.
  • toostoos Posts: 12
    Does anyone know what percentage of 4-DR UNLIMITEDs are sold with manual? I also would like to know if anyone has data on the reliability of the 42RFE auto transmission.

I am interested in the 4-DR Sahara Unlimited, but cannot decide between the 6-speed manual and the 4-speed auto. I test drove both and think the auto makes more sense for me, but I want reliability and I have no idea how the auto compares to the manual in cost of ownership/reliability. I usually drive my vehicles up to 200k. Just lost my JGC to a deer and the Wrangler Unlimited 4-DR seemed a good replacement choice.