Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Too true. :)

Either way, they are similar enough that the addition of the Gladiator would not be a major hassle since I would imagine a lot of body, sheet metal, and interior pieces would be shared.

Maybe a Wrangler Gladiator or Scrambler to go along with the Wrangler Sahara and Wrangler Rubicon - just another variation on the theme?

-Paul
  • Hey Greg:

Just a couple of comments about that butt-ugly liberty. My butt-ugly liberty has 110,000 miles on the 3.7 liter motor and truely has no leaks. Granted, I can only lift it 2.5 inches to make room for the 275/75/16's but I get a great ride everyday back and forth to work. Granted I shouldn't put a locker in the front pumpkin, but ARB makes a great unit for the rear. I think you wrangler guys should swallow a little pride and invite a few libbys out on the trail for a day. I think you might be surprised that by golly its a jeep too! I think Im going to break down and get a 2007 Rubicon to park along side the 2002 Libby. Let's keep it all American!! Oh Yeah.. You can get a diesel capable of using biodiesel in a Libby right now.. no need to wait for the Wrangler. Unless you live in the UK those units will be available this fall. Keep the rubber down and lets go wheelin
  • Jeez:

I bet youre glad you bought your new jeep then.. that 2007 with 32" tires and lockers on both ends, cool 3 piece top and even electic windows surely wont be as good as your '05...
  • And the reason there is no diesel in the next Wrangler is?
    Most likely the reasoning is that the new generation of diesels being used need the cleaner burning diesel that is being mandated by 10/2006 standards going in to effect. I believe this is the same time MB is using a new diesel engine in their E Series (E320 CDI).

I would think that if a diesel would be coming in the new Wrangler (and maybe Gladiator if they build it), I wouldn't expect it until the 2008 model year sometime next year.

Most automakers don't offer all versions of a vehicle at one time.

Corvette didn't have a C6 Z06 until this year - one year after the C6 come out.
    BMW doesn't have an E90-based coupe yet for the 3 Series (E92 for the coupe version). And their M's and convertibles follow several years after THAT.

Perhaps they want to work out some of those first year kinks that always seem to pop up before they drop another engine into it and introduce additional variables.

Don't be so quick to think it won't happen. It still may not, but at least realize that there may be some rational thought behind as to why.

-Paul
  • Has anybody seen a 2006 vs 2007 specification comparison chart :confuse:
    Thanks.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Jeep.com has a section previewing the 2007 Wrangler now.
  • Jeep website shows a CRD Diesel engine will be available on the new Wrangler but it says ( Export Only) anyone know what that means ?
  • You will be able to get the 2.8 CRD here in the States. It will have to be a special order though which can jack the price up. For what reasion I don't know. But You can get one.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Export Only means only for vehicles exported out of the US.
    At least for now. Europe's diesel market is much stronger than the diesel market here.

Again, wait until the new diesel fuels are here in the US.

-Paul
  • I think for what the wrangler was built to do, the 4.0 I6 was, and is the best (gas) powerplant they could use. It has lots of low end torque, built like a tank, lasted forever. Guys who are buying wranglers for road trips, etc won't ever benefit from a wrangler, no matter what motor it's running. It's simply not the vehicle for that. It's ment as an off road machine. You need lots of low end torque for that...and a small v6 just isn't going to provide that. If you can, get the diesel if they take the I6 away (and you plan to do any thing offroad.
  • Image hosting by Photobucket">
    The front bumper is covered in plastic . The hood and grill looks like that renegade liberty . Available 18" dubs ? 17"s on the rubicon ? Why ? Bucket seats in back? Is it wider cause we are fatter ? Trails are narrow around here. Its longer so it will high center easier. Power windows ? Whomever they marketed it for wasn't me .

With negs out of the way I do like the idea of bigger tires . 32s are not bad . I like the tow package offered on the X that includes a rear 44 w/ a locker . 6 speed . I am glad they still offer half doors and a soft top . I havent made up my mind if I like it or not .
    Have you compared the specs of the JK versus the current TJ? I'm not all that sure that it is that much wider when you go from the widest points (wheels). Yes the body may be wider, but notice how those 32's just fit in there just fine with little apparent sticking out. My 33's stick out a good bit with the stock wheels.

As for the bumper, fuhgedaboudit. That's what aftermarket is for. :)

Bucket seats in the back would probably HELP those sitting back there while wheeling, if you have passengers. My back seat has been out for a while now, so whether it is bench or bucket (I forget ;) ) is irrelevant.

The 18" wheels for street driving would probably make for a fairly responsive drive versus the taller sidewalls of offroad tires. Be realistic, what percentage of Wranglers actually see trail time? I'm thinking it is not even close to 50% - probably closer to 15% and even that may be high. Those 18's will appeal to those who want to have a rugged vehicle but keep it on the street. I look at it like this:

That is a potential used vehicle for me that I know will not have been offroad and be a GREAT selection for me when the used ones come on the market. :) I'll keep the 18's for street use and get some good offroad tires/wheels. :)

Length is rather irrelevant. I've wheeled with Cherokees, GRAND Cherokees and Libertys. Wheel length was irrelevant. If you notice the JK's t-cas is tucked higher than the shovel we have now - unless you go with a tummy tuck. I've seen several Unlimiteds wheel just fine. I'll take an experienced driver in an Unlimited over a newb (like me) in a SWB Wrangler any day.

-Paul
  • Thanks for the positive reply to my rather negitive post ! All of you points are right on and make good sence . :)

Image hosting by Photobucket

I think you are probably right about lenght . I know there are many benifits to a longer WB and the only drawback would be high centering but as you state the belly is tucked and the tires slightly taller and with a locker in back sounds like the pros are outweighing the cons on that one .

I may just be afraid of change to my all time favorite . Im will be keeping a open mind and looking forward to seeing and driving one this fall .

• Has anyone heard any rumors about the new 3.8L? I was wanting to see the torque curve. The new engine makes slightly more torque than the 4.0L but I was wondering where it made it. Hopefully this engine will get better mpg ratings than the 4.0L. Has anyone heard anything about that? I know that there are some people who like the L6 engine, I'm one of them. But I need the JK to be a daily driver too so mpg counts.

Dose anyone have an opinion about the new convertible top? I realize that if the cabin is longer then the top will be longer and with a bigger hard top it will be more difficult to find a place to store it when it's off. So considering that it makes sense to be able to brake it down into three pieces. I still haven't made up my mind if I like the new top. It seems to me that it might leak. Not right off the show room floor, but eventually. Hopefully if it appears to be a pain there will be aftermarket solid hard tops.

I don't think I like the plastic fenders. I'm more fond of the TJ fenders. However, if you beat up one of these on the trail then to replace it requires little or no prep work such as painting. Just bolt it on and your good to go. If you look closely at all of the new plastic on it you'll notice that it's all around the lower edges. This is where most of the off-road damage will occur, right? So therefor it seems like Jeep wants you to be able to just bolt on replacement part without having to paint them or prep them.

But those are just my opinions. All car comments/replies are welcome. :)

Thanks,
    Aaron
  • I think the first thing I would do is paint the fenders. I have never been a fan of black plastic flairs.
  • karluverkarluver Posts: 3
    I agree with you 100%. Paint the fenders! If I wanted to have cheap after-market fenders on my jeep I would buy them myself!
    :P
  • karluverkarluver Posts: 3
    I want a new Scrambler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:
  • jimlw2jimlw2 Posts: 122
    I'm still undecided on the new Wrangler. I am tempted to trade in my wife's Liberty and get a second 2005 or 2006 Wrangler before they are no longer available new. However, I must admit, I think my wife would be more comfortable in the new Wrangler thanks to items like the power door locks and windows as well as the potentially easier roof configuration of the new hard top. Personally, I wouldn't want power door locks or windows in a Wrangler but I can see why people would like those little "perks".

The thing I like the least is the plastic front grill. It's almost the same plastic front grill found on my wife's 2005 Liberty Renegade Rocky Mountain Edition. I guess the old-fashioned, heavy-metal of a Wrangler front grill seems more appropriate behind a serious winch and/or after-market bumper.

Just my 2-cents worth...