Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Has anyone ordered a Wrangler from the factory? What's the wait time?

DC seems to running a little behind at the moment. Wranglers are at 16-18 weeks, but if you want a Dodge Calibre you'll be waiting 22-24 weeks!
  • mdm3232mdm3232 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have an 04 TJ, it fits two car seats fine. We are having another and I want to keep a jeep. I wanted to know if anyone out there knew if the new 4dr Wrangler would accomodate 3 child seats? Thanks for any help.
  • giantsin06giantsin06 Member Posts: 63
    Before we move on shouldn't we excise anyone who begs the question ? :P
  • timothycnjtimothycnj Member Posts: 4
    I am in the process of ordering a 2007 Unlimited - Rubicon. I'm likely going with the dual tops and will then order the half doors after market. I guess we all agree that the rear half doors look so much better with the top down - so must Jeep becuase every picture in their brochure shows rear half doors when the top is down.

My question...do the doors come painted or do you have to take them to a body shop and have them matched to your car paint?

Thanks.
    They would normally come in transport primer, but expect them to be in short supply for some time.
  • unclejjgunclejjg Member Posts: 4
    I'm considering a Patriot because I like having a stable vehicle in lousy weather conditions. However, I don't know if the Patriot will have enough capability.....that is besides the point though.

For those of you who have driven the JK in snow and ice, how would you compare its traction vs. a vehicle such as a Chevy Blazer w/auto 4WD, or something along the lines of a Subaru Forester?

Again, all I'm curious about is how it performs in the snow. I've heard horror stories about previous Wrangler models, and though I'd love an off-road performer, I am to practical to deal with slipping and sliding in lousy weather.

Unfortunately, with the part-time system, I wouldn't be able to just leave it in 4WD at the first sign of snowfall.

My three big requirements are:

1.) Feeling secure going over a small "drift" (ie 1" - 2") on the highway, or at speeds over 45 mph.

2.) Pulling out of a snow/ice caked side street onto a main street with on-coming traffic. I don't want to make a decision to go (ie I can merge with traffic), only to have my ***-end not agree with me because its slipping.

3.) Fishtailing when I take a corner in snowy or slippery conditions......and no, I don't take them very fast.

I now drive a Chevy Blazer 2002 w/ part-time, low, and auto 4x4. The auto setting doesn't really do much, but it allows me to leave it set under 65 mph even on dry streets if I'm so inclined. This basically halves the problems listed above when it is engaged. I only have to use part-time when there is standing snow on the streets.

On the other hand, I also took my Blazer "off-roading" and quickly realized it wasn't a Jeep. Hence, I'm considering a Wrangler if it will fit my needs, or a Liberty (the '08 seems a bit big) w/SelecTrak, or a Patriot if all else fails.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    A few things here. AWD will generally be the type that will shift torque around to help you maintain traction. 4wd systems aren't always that smart, and I don't think the JK's 4wd system is a torque shifting version, as in the AWD version or what you'd find in a Grand Cherokee with Quadradrive II. If you have a JK with lockers (Rubicon), it will get squirrely if you activate those lockers.

As for your requirements, I personally feel 45 MPH is too high if you have 1-2" of snow/ice on the highway. AWD/4WD won't help you any at that speed, except to spin all your tires faster and put you off the road. But each situation is unique.

2. Either 4wd or AWD will help you as long as there is an axle that has traction. AWD will probably be better in this case in that it usually only requires 1 wheel with traction to get you going.

3. Do you WANT to fishtail or not? Hard to tell. Personally, I LOVE doing it and drifting it back in line, but obviously not something I can do in traffic. :)

I honestly don't know much about the Patriot's system. I've enjoyed my TJ in the snow, dirt, and mud, and found it easily controllable - and this is on mountain roads with curves and elevation changes. Patriot's COG may make it feel more stable, but I've heard GREAT things about the JK's COG and ride comfort, so that may be a wash.

-Paul
  • wyoforesterwyoforester Member Posts: 25
    Besides getting our opinions, I'd advise you to test drive several, perhaps a couple of times, with the features you want and to try out all the features before you buy. Also, take your time, when there is a wintry day, go to a dealer and do another test drive. We drove several vehicles at several dealers on several occasions before deciding on getting our new ride. Time spent productively now should result in less unhappiness in the future.

Have had 5 Jeeps, including hardtop and softtop wranglers, the latest being an unlimited rubicon.
    , but not '7.

We test drove '7 unlimiteds before settling on a '7 Xterra Off Road, so anyway, for what it's worth:
    Sunrider top on '7 unlimited requires that you unlatch hooks on the front, connected to the windshield frame. Then you have to unscrew several round knobs on the sides above the driver and passenger doors, thoroughly, before you can lift and slide the top back. Be careful to thoroughly unscrew all the knobs. The salesman in his demonstration didn't, he thought the hinges that the knobs were holding down were just a little sticky, pulled a little harder and broke a hinge. Which is another reason to check and make sure the features actually work.

Rear plastic window, as it can't/doesn't have a washer/wiper/defroster like the hard top, gets covered with road grime quickly in inclimate weather, especially on the Interstate, and impairs your view out the back.

Crate your dog. Significantly, reduces dog hair and smell on upholstery. Based on traveling with multiple dogs, including cross country trips over the years, it's also safer for the dog(s), you and other drivers.

As a new, first time prospective owner, understand that the '7 Wranglers are more 'civilized' than the older ones, but not as much so as say, a '7 Toyota FJ. Then again, it's a Jeep thing we've come to understand.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I was at the dealer the other day and asked about removing the doors on a four door Wrangler. The model on the floor had power windows and locks. He showed be the wiring harness and said it had a "quick disconnect".

The Jeep sight says half doors aren't available if the Jeep comes with power windows and locks. The implication is the full size doors aren't removable if they have the power option.

So the question is - what's the real story here? Can I get a 4-door Sahara with power windows and locks and replace the full size doors with half doors in the summer??
    The Jeep sight says half doors aren't available if the Jeep comes with power windows and locks. The implication is the full size doors aren't removable if they have the power option.

I haven't seen the quote in question, but couldn't it just mean that power locks and windows aren't an available option if you specify half doors?
    Thanks. What I was thinking (hoping) was that I could do both. Since the Sahara trim comes with power windows and locks the half doors aren't an option. Even with the Sahara version I'd like to put half doors on in the summer. In order to do that the full size doors and electrical connection would have to be operator friendly. The video on the Jeep link shows the full size doors being removed - so easy even a woman can do it - but nothing about disconnecting electrical.

So...I'm okay with the full size doors. I'd like the power features. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about how easy (or not) it would be to disconnect the wiring harness.
    I think it's reasonable to assume that if the doors are designed to be removed, then it's likely that the electrical connectors will be straightforward to deal with.
  • pkearpkear Member Posts: 26
    Got the 4 door Sahara and while I have not removed the doors I have read the manual. It shows where and how you disconnect the door wiring so you can remove them. There is no power lock feature for half doors and definitely no windows so that is what what it means. BTW Half doors are already out in Aluminum diamond tread and tubular safari style for both front and back. I am planning on ordering some however momma has said to stop on jeep accessories until we build the bank back up some (and everything comes in).
    Well....where are the pictures ????? :surprise:
    Thanks! That what I was looking for. I realize I won't have power windows and locks when I swap out the doors. But it's gonna be summer (one of these days) and I'm hoping I can just run around without the door inserts (canvas plastic windows) from Memorial Day to Labor Day and just put the top up if threatens to rain.

I hear what you're saying on the financial oversight. Separate checking accounts is the only way to go!
  • pkearpkear Member Posts: 26
    Actually momma bought the jeep for me to drive so I don't argue when she wants spending to stop. Usually I do a lot of horsetrading and cash deals to get my toys because if I had to keep track of a checking account I would be overdrawn all the time because if there are still checks there is still money right? :D
  • ghostryderghostryder Member Posts: 2
    The 2007 Jeep wrangler has changed every thing about it,the frame is longer and the body is wider.Its a nice change for the wrangler.I own a 07 wrangler x model 4x4 and i cant complain at all.I have made some mod. to it.
    How about posting some pictures ??? :D
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "But while sales of other truck-based SUVs plummet, the Wrangler Unlimited is scrambling off dealer lots.

Days-to-turn, a measure of how long, on average, a vehicle sits unclaimed at dealership, is 20 for the Wrangler Unlimited, according to data from the Power Information Network. For the average vehicle overall, days-to-turn is well in excess of 60."

Wrangler 4-door rare hit for Chrysler (CNN)
  • mr_anton89mr_anton89 Member Posts: 72
    The Sunrider soft top seems like the better way to go, compared to the Freedom top.
    The first time I used the sunrider part it took me an hour to get it on and another hour to put it back on.
    The second time I just went to the dealer, but after that I'm getting the hang of it and in no time it should come on and off in 10 minutes or less. But it sure was a pain at first...
    - You can hose out the interior if you take out the carpet...there are drain holes
    - The rear seats in the 07 Unlimited do fold flat, thus creating your "sleep-able interior"

...From this they are closer to finishing this Jeep than you think
    For those who have already bought their Unlimiteds, including myself, would you have still bought it if the Hummer H3 had a convertible option?

Shun me from this group if you want, but if Hummer offered their H3 as a convertible there is no doubt I would have bought that instead.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Example of H3 Convertible (http://www.newportconvertible.com/Detail.tpl?rnd=734&cart=117298792820590492&sk- - u=117246836218600186) or their even better open top concept
    ......but if Hummer offered their H3 as a convertible there is no doubt I would have bought that instead.

You could have bought a convertible Hummer H1 though. :shades:

Alpha production ceased last year but there's still plenty of new ones available.
  • bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Just need that dang diesel....

Most of my driving is the unexiciting, to-work-and-back stuff but the commute is around 140 miles most days. Getting into something that gets less than mid-20's is financial suicide for me.

It just looks like a lot of fun to keep that top off for the ride....
    Well, I placed my order with a dealer in Warren County, NJ for a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Jeep Green, Grey Interior). He said they were looking at 4-5 weeks for delivery (and that was two weeks ago).

One other question with respect to the half-doors...do they come with the soft top upper? Stated with more detail...I got the dual top option. So when the hard top comes off and the soft-top goes on, I'll have a soft-top that covers everything but the door area. If I swap our the rear doors for half-doors will that come with a soft-top upper to bridge the gap?

Thanks!
    It all depands on what exactly you ordered. The basic door comes as bare shell without locks, trim, hinges etc. and certainly no soft uppers.

Normally, a door would be ordered to replace one that had been accident damaged, so it would be supplied as a shell which would be painted and then built up with the undamaged parts from the old door. You really need to check with the dealer to see what you're getting.
  • saadysaady Member Posts: 1
    I am going to buy an 07 wrangler to drive around the west, NM, AZ, TX , NV , Utah in particular.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2007 2wd wrangler pretty cheap, my question is---is 4wd really neccesary?

I have a 98 wrangler with the small engine now and rarely-almost nver do I use 4wd and even then I wonder if I really need it as most of the west is hard rocky terrain.

Though I will go to moab and places like that I'll never be a rock crawler.

2nd: Is the two door w07 wrangler the same size/legnth as the four door model? I notice they are much much less expensive.

Thanks for your advice.
    We've never been in the desert....but on the dunes of Nantucket you better have 4-wheel or you don't even get in there, let alone get out . If you're going to do any sand driving , 4-wheel is a must....IN LOW...WITH MOST OF THE AIR LET OUT OF TIRES. :shades:
    Thanks. But, while I have ordered the Jeep itself, I haven't ordered any half doors yet. I'm waiting for my car to come in and then I'll worry about it.

I read other posts on this forum that seemed to indicate half-doors would be available later this year. While I'll be glad to have the full doors and hard top in the winter, I'm really wondering if I should have skipped the dual top option so the vehicle would look better when the top is down. I really don't love the way the Unlimited looks with the top down and four full doors on it.

THanks for your help though. If I do order half-doors, I'll make sure I pay attention to what I'm getting.
  • tsctstscts Member Posts: 1
    Ordered an 07 2 dr. Rubicon Dec. 28. Finally arrived last week. Against my objections had to pay additional $525 increase in base price. There's been two base price increases since my order. Assembly delays because of Freedom top roof fasteners and the front sway bar disconnect. On leaving the dealership dash light passenger seat would not go off. Malfunctioning passenger seat/airbag system has kept my new Jeep at the dealer until parts received from Detroit. Headrest for rear seats are not removeable, rear visability limited. When ordering, be sure and get negotiated price on a locked in contract.

In driving the Jeep home and then back the next day, have to admit 07 is smoother, quieter, bigger, heavier, more computerized and will be more complicated when using 4WD than '02 Sport I had for five years.
    Sorry to hear of your problems. I'll have to check the rear seat headrests.....I have the seat forward and down...Of course , in the summer, with the top off...Who cares ! :shades:
    Hey ! I just took top off for first time , took back seat out....and it started to rain ! Ah well.....but I discovered that the back seat head rests do disengage : You have to push BOTH buttons simultaneously . One button sticks out a bit and the other is flat/recessed : . Good Luck. I may place a picture if the sun comes back out. :shades:
  • twolabstwolabs Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up my new 4 dr Sahara and the only issue that I have is no power mirrors. Or am I overlooking the knob? I jumped on the road and was not able to adjust the mirrors. Otherwise, the 20 mile ride home was good ta go.
    No power mirrors..afterall this is the first time power windows are offered!
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    I see you keep the Jeep in a nice garage, but how did the half doors and soft top handle all the snow in upstate New York this year?
    This is a Jeep . Jeeps in all configurations handle everything . I'm glad winter is over , but we get used to zipping/unzipping the windows and other minor inconveniences , because when summer comes , and the top is off....WHO CARES ! :shades:
  • wiggles1wiggles1 Member Posts: 12
    Hi All,

I'm trying to become a 2007 Jeep Wranger Unlimited owner but am running into supply/demand issues!

I'm searching for a Unlimited X, 4X4, power group and the options group that includes fog lights, wrapped steering wheel etc... I'd love sirius radio, but that's not a deal breaker. I simply can't find a vehicle in the color that I want (and the only colors I don't want are black and either of the greens), without tons of extras that I don't want. (don't want upgraded stereo w/subwoofer, don't need the serious off-road upgrades) Problem is 1)availability and 2) dealers around here not budging off of MSRP. It's their right not to budge, but it's also my right not to pay it .... so for now I sit and wait.

Any tips on how to speed this process up (without paying sticker) would be much appreciated. I've got a 2006 vehicle to trade in or sell through private sale - so that figures into the deal. I'm set with financing through my credit union and have my down payment sitting in the bank.

Thanks for any advice you may throw my way. I'm prepared to be patient, but I'm also pretty eager to start having fun when I drive!
  • tommyijrtommyijr Member Posts: 56
    You could be in for a long wait.....this seems to be the only product Chrysler is holding fast on MSRP. The one we took delivery on required a month long wait, my wife wanted the Sahara w/ the duel top and other bells and whistles. She initially wanted the black but really fell for the steel blue metallic. Good luck on the waiting it out, whenever I take it in for an oil change I speak with the dealer that sold us ours and he tells me the ones that come in that aren't already spoken for go within days.
    Assuming that there was a good reason for not ordering the specification you wanted originally, if you either can't find or can't get a sensible price on what you want locally, you need to expand the area of your search. Unless you need a CA spec vehicle, there's no no reason you can't source from anywhere in the country.

Selling price is really dictated by buyers, rather than the dealer. At the moment, in most but not all areas, buyers are still prepared to pay top dollar.

You may want to consider a 2008 model, which will be little different from the '07s except for all the inevitable bug fixes. Apparently some pre-production models have already been assembled and production is scheduled to start in late July.

There's information here in the forums from people that have purchased at invoice, so it may pay to do your research, place your order, then sit back and get one of the first '08s.
    Thanks for your replies ....

Thought about ordering EXACTLY what I want, but I've never ordered a car before and I'm not sure what goes into doing that .... My previous 3 vehicles were Ford, Ford, Honda. Negotiations were easy as I wasn't ever getting a really "hot" car. I knew what was fair, the cars were on the lot, and I drove away! Pretty simple stuff. If I order a car, how much of a deposit does a dealer typically expect? Are they more or less likely to sell close to invoice since there is zero overhead for them? Are there associated costs with ordering a vehicle that you don't find with buying off the lot?

Again, replies are very much appreciated.
  • simms3simms3 Member Posts: 1
    I would not expect any type of near invoice price on these types of cars anytime soon even if ordering one. Try carmax however they have really good prices. When ordering if you know the dealer and or the vehicle is one he could sell quickly I would not deposit over $200.
    Unless you're ordering some kind of weird options that would make it hard to sell if you back out, most reputable dealers will only require a minimal deposit and will hold your check on file until the vehicle arrives.

There are no additional costs associated with ordering a vehicle as opposed to taking one from stock, quite the opposite in fact. The longer a vehicle sits on the lot, the more it costs the dealer, which is why they'll always try to put you in one of those first.

Personally, I cannot imagine not ordering exactly what I want in a new vehicle. Also means you don't get added demo miles as an unwanted bonus. :)
    For anyone considering a new vehicle, I would recommend checking out AAA's car buying service. They pre-negotiate the selling price for new cars using certain dealerships. I recently ordered my 2007 Rubicon Unlimited and expect delivery in (hopefully) another three weeks. The AAA negotiated price (I'm in the mid-Atlantic region) was $200 over invoice. And, though the dealer certainly didn't love me, they honored that price. You should know that some dealers specifically exclude Unlimiteds or Rubicons so it's not fool proof for a hot car like this year's Wrangler. But typically you get contact info for three dealerships so you have choices. I wound up driving an hour to the dealership I'm using.

Here is the link for the AAA car buying service. I consider myself a pretty hard negotiator, but with a pre-arranged price it's nearly impossible to do better. I've used it two or three times all with great results. And consdiering how many people are paying sticker price...I think I did pretty well this time as well.

http://www.aaamidatlantic.com/automotive/auto_buying.asp
    The AAA negotiated price (I'm in the mid-Atlantic region) was $200 over invoice.

Assuming there's no excessive added 'document fees' or other dealwer added profit items, that sounds like a pretty reasonable deal at the momment.
    Reminds me that my AAA is just about to expire! I'll re-up and then look into using their service.

Unlimiteds are also excluded from getting the military discount. One dealer asked me if I was military and I replied that I was ex-military (Air force 1993-97) and he said "oh good, hang on" Then he came back and said "sorry, we can't offer that to you". Checked online and it's only good for a few of the Jeep models.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't forget about the Jeep Wrangler: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too.
    Will there be any visual differences between 2008 and 2007 Wranglers? How did you hear about the pre-production models? Just curious as to what there is to look forward to.
  • newjeepgirlnewjeepgirl Member Posts: 7
    Found this:
    http://forums.streetfire.net/showthread.php?t=16459
    Is this for real?

This as well, but i can not tell when the article was written:
    http://www.automotive.com/spied-cars/90/112-0509-2008-jeep-wrangler/index.html
  • rjenkins1rjenkins1 Member Posts: 2
    Had been thinking about Sahara, having trouble finding exactly like I wanted on lot. Found an X that is pretty much dead on. What are the main differences, other than price? Trying to decide what I am losing by going w/the X and not Sahara. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.