Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Electrical Problems

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,613
    You have a ten year old vehicle that is still covered under an extended warranty? How did you get that?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    First of all, you have a 10 year old car. They don't run perfectly forever. Secondly, you act as if every Ford made is just like yours, they're not. I've had 8 explorers since 1994, and most of them have been amazingly good and tough. A couple of them had transmission problems, but one was seriously wrecked. They're excellent SUVs, best engineered and designed in the world, and put together fairly well. Yours is an old dud, get over it and get rid of it. No company makes 100% perfect cars, especially after being in service 10 years. :lemon:
  • wog33wog33 Posts: 1
    As I was driving I hit a small pothole and the radio went off, fuel gauge stopped working, and power windows stopped working! Now check engine light is on! Any suggestions on problem. All fuses seem to be in working order...
  • As far as No Power to Windows.. I just fixed this problem last night.
    The wiring harness that goes form door to the body of the car is crap !
    I found 3 broken wires hidden underneath the rubber boot that goes from the door to the body. The power wire for the windows, the main ground wire, and a 3rd smaller wire all were broken.
    For some reason, the wire is cheap, and by opening and closing the door all the time it weakens the wires when they bend and they just break. I fixed all 3 of the wires, and now.. the windows work, the door locks work, the mirrors work, and best of all, the FREAKIN door Ajar light issue that I have had for over a year, is resolved as well.
    Guess this is a common problem with these Fords, and a major headache.
    Good luck !!
    I had a Buick do this once - it turned out to be a staple through a section of the wiring harness that had worn through the insulation and had shorted out the wires. Problem was finding it. And the other problem is, the windows won't go down, and the A/C won't work, presenting a real problem in the summer! I had to drive around with the door open to breathe.
  • Hi I have the same problem! How did you fix this problem? Please help, the constant beeping of the door ajar is driving me crazy!!
  • I have a 2002 ford explorer xlt and when i was driving the suv started to loose power, the rpms wouldnt go over 2000, and it started to loose speed. It would start and drive with difficulty it would only go about ten mph and again the rpms wouldnt go over 2000. After it was towed home it would start and then stall, now it wont even start. I plugged the computer onto the truck and it read cylinder misfires, intake airflow sensor, and mass airflow sensor. I replaced the mass airflow sensor and charged the battery and it made no difference the truck has a full tank of gas and still refuses to turn over. I was told it could possibly be the coil packs or the ignition module. The coil packs are fine but could it be the ignition module and what other possible problems could it have? has anyone had these problems with their explorer? If so how was it fixed? PLEASE HELP I NEED MY TRUCK BACK!
  • Had the same issue with mine. The exhaust Y pipe with the catalytic converter was the issue. It was not cheap!!!!
    Yeah, it sounded to me like the cats were plugged. This will slow the engine right down due to back pressure, the exhaust can't get out of the engine. Check that first.....
  • mjeffmjeff Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Excellent post. I am having the same problem. I can only raise and lower my windows with the door all the way open.

How did you get to the wires inside the boot? Did you cut it off?

I appreciate your help.
    Thanks
    Jeff
  • Did you get it fixed? I have same issues. Windows worked periodically then quit all together. Interior dome light doesn't work, 4X4 lights flash and will not work. ???
    I highly suspect the Body Control Module. It's rare, but if they go bad, this kind of inexplicable stuff happens. What I recommend is a full reboot, which means disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, then rehook. If it continues, you may want to pursue that course. It's hard to find, and quite expensive though - I had this problem in an 06, and sold the car. Got a much better 07. I believe the module is behind a plastic panel somewhere in the rear driver's side. Not positive on that.
  • Yesterday after I started my car and warmed it up, My radio, power windows,interior lights and moonroof stopped working. I checked all fuses and relays. They all seem to be fine. Any ideas out there?
    See 232 above. I hope I'm wrong.
  • I had this issue with mine and it was the alternator
  • I figured out that it is the wiring harness thats causing my electrical issues. How did you get the boot and wires out? Do I have to remove the door?
  • I HAVE A 1997 FORD EXPLORER AND JUST RECENTLY AM EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS STARTING IT. EVERY MORNING AND AFTER WORK I NEED A JUMP. IT STARTS RIGHT UP AS SOON AS CABLES ARE CONNECTED. WHILE RUNNING, EVERYTHING LOOKS LIKE ITS CHARGING. EVERYTHING WORKS FINE. COULD THIS BE THE BEGINNING SIGNS OF ALTERNATOR ISSUES? CONNECTIONS? NEW BATTERY WAS PUT IN THIS SUMMER! CAN ANYONE HELP ME TRY TO NARROW DOWN THE PROBLEM PLEASE?
    Firstly, it could still be the battery, and that is where I would look. I had an identical situation on a 2003. Even a new battery can fail prematurely. And, if it's that new, should be covered.

Also, check your ALT gauge, if it shows normal charging, most likely your alternator is ok. IF not, that's where you should go first.

Lastly, it could be a ground connection, or even a loose terminal on the battery.

But, I'm betting on the battery.
  • I purchased a 2002 Explorer Sports Trac which just happened to caught on fire last night. I searched for any recalls that may have been issued on this vehicle. Fortunately my son was able to get out of the truck in time. He was traveling on the freeway, when the truck all of the sudden died he coasted to the inside lane. When he tried to restart the truck smoke came out and flames shout out under the drivers door. He managed to get out and the next thing the entire truck caught on fire. Has anyone ever reported any cases such as this and what are my options at this point? I will still have to pay on the vehicle since I only financed for 18 mos and had liability. Who do I need to address on this issue. Of course purchased as is but in a situation like this what can I do. I'm out the money and out the vehicle.
  • my miles per gallon computer/info has gone way down since using the 4 high for one day last week, it will not come back up and seems to be haywire, any ideas?