Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• ferris47ferris47 Posts: 131
    I swear they welded that console in there and just told people it could be removed as some kind of mean joke. It will come out but you have to use the Brute Force and Pray method. Just squeeze the little tabs like the book tells you and pull for all your worth. I believe I yanked one side out and then the other. It is a Beach, but it will come out. It is not nearly as hard to put the GDO console door in. Good luck.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    These things drive me nuts but once you figure out the trick, it is easy. First, open it up all the way. Then, place your index finger behind the hinge and pull straight back while using your thumb as leverage.

Once the garage door holder is out, you will notice a small piece of felt covering a piece of plastic. Push it back behind the plastic clip. Now, with the sunglass door in the open position, push back firmly until it snaps into place. Close the door and enjoy.

About 20% of the time, the door will not spay in the plastic clip. If this happens, remove the door and take a ball point pen and push back on the plastic clip that use to be covered by the felt. Don't bend it too much but it does need to move a little. Now, reinstall the door and you should be fine.

I do this 10 to 15 times a month. I wish Toyota would default the sunglass holder instead of the garage door opener. Nobody seems to own garage doors any more.
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Posts: 324
    My truck had the Sunglasses holder instead of the Garage Door Opener holder.

Found a problem with the back door swinging the other way. Loading groceries inside, while parked between other vehicles can be a hassle. There aren't enough room to maneuver because the front door has to be opened first. The grocery cart gets in the way of the other door because you have to pull it forward otherwise the cart will be behind the opened rear door.

I'd toss the groceries in the back if I had some kind of cargo net. But then again under the blazing sun here in Arizona, my groceries will be ruined!

Any other stuff I toss in the back, reluctantly. The dealer has yet to honor the 'I owe you' note for the bedliner. I've had the truck for over a month now.
    finally got the bed liner this weekend.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Posts: 1,006
    The dealer should give you the door opener holder. I got both with my truck.
    They gave me both but the suglasses holder was the one installed when I got it. I think there was a post regarding how much of a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] it was to remove! ha!
    It might hurt your fingers a little, but...."pain in the keester". I hope not! ;)
    thing the truck did twice already. Sitting on a stop while I had my foot on the brake pedal (it's an automatic) I felt a little nudge. It seem like the truck settled into a sweet spot. I dunno why/what it is. I'm gonna go see the dealer what this is about.
    You may be feeling the transmission shift. When I come to a stop after being in a higher gear the tranny downshifts in preparation for the next accelaration.
    Shouldn't it be in the lowest gear already by the time I came to a hault?!

I was in a complete stop already when I felt the nudge. I barely felt it my girlfriend didn't feel it.

I'm thinking does the truck starts off at 2nd gear? Sometimes?
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Sounds like what my silverado has periodically done.

Does it feel like a kick in the butt (so to speak only way i can describe it or as a jolt) after you come to a complete stop (not everytime but once in a great while)and then hit the gas?

Ryan
    Yeah something like that. It's a weird feeling. Always driven/owned manual transmission vehicles. Only time I drive an automatic is when I rent. I guess this is normal?!
  • arkie6arkie6 Posts: 198
    ratboy3? Where did you get a name like that?

Anyway, in reply to your post #38, what you may be experiencing is binding in the rear driveshaft slip yoke. If the splines are binding or inadequately lubricated then the driveshaft may compress abruptly instead of gradually after the truck comes to a stop (when you come to a stop, the front end dips slightly and the rear raises up slightly causing the driveshaft to extend, then once the truck comes to a complete stop everything settles back out and the driveshaft compresses as bed/frame comes back down. Also, the transmission may shift down during this time which will take the torque load off the splines allowing them to freely compress). Anyway, my Tundra had similar symptoms when I first got it (sometimes it could be described as a "thunk" from the rear). Here is what I did and it seems to have cured it (7000+ miles and counting): I greased the rear driveshaft slip yoke until I could not force any more grease in there (about 20-30 strokes if I remember correctly). The slip yoke splines are tight and I could not force any grease out around the shaft. I then gently stepped on the rear bumper several times (compresses the slip yoke) to help force the grease into the splines. I then removed the grease fitting from the slip yoke and then really jumped up and down on the rear bumper to force out the excess grease (you need room for the slip yoke to compress over bumps without binding the driveline). I then cleaned up the grease that was expelled and put the grease fitting back in and have never had another instance of the "thunk". Some have mentioned just putting a couple of shots of grease in the slip yoke to fix it, but all this does is put the grease in the void near the end of the splines and not where the friction is taking place. An alternative would be to disassemble the slip yoke and liberally lubricate it, but my method is easier and seems to have fixed the problem.
    Thanks for the input. I must say I have to pass this on to a friend of mine. I have no idea where those things are.

I guess the old posts in here was right on target, them tindras are fer them yuppies! ha!
  • Bought my Tundra LTD 2 months ago. Already have 11,000 miles of pleasurable driving. I think it is a very refined vehicle that is especially pleasing out on the interstate with great handling and plenty of power to get away from the pack. My main gripe is about the inability to turn off both the rear deck lamp (the switch must be activated each time you wish to shut it off) and also the inability to idle without the daytime running lights being turned on. I solved the deck lamp problem by removing the bulb. The other problem is beyond me. My work requires me to park and wait in my truck at night for extended periods in a pretty unsavory neighborhood where I do not want to attract attention. Also, it is hot outside, and I want to keep the AC running. It seems the daytime running light is part of the headlamp bulb, kind of like a 2 or 3 way light bulb. There seems to be no way to turn the damn thing off. Can anybody help? Is there another headlamp bulb that would work in the Tundra that perhaps does not have the low level daytime feature? Is there anyway to defeat this feature. I love my Tundra, but I might actually have to get another kind of truck, if I can't get this changed. I think the Toyota engineers kind of dropped the ball when they planned the lighting features for this truck.
  • tundra_guytundra_guy Posts: 49
    Most Tundras don't have daytime running lights it's a safety feature they put in with your ABS brakes!Don't know why.The big 3 also have daytime running lights. Good luck!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    the lights when so desired. Well the Chevy/GMC can anyway. Doesn't it kind of tell you what the toyota engineers think of the toyota drivers? Not even letting them turn off a light if they so desired. Wars have been started for less than this...
    Damn Toyota engineers weren't thinking of me! It would have been a nice option to turn the Daytime Running Lights off when on idle.

I wonder when did GM added on that feature? My friend's '98 Blazer's Daytime Running Lights are stuck on ON position as well.

Praise to Ford engineers for the adjustable foot pedals.
    Lights for some vehicles you push the parking break or something (dads 2000 blazer) and on mine you hit the dome over ride 3 times (2000 silverado) also when you put the truck in park the DRL turn off.

foot pedals- if your to short buy a smaller car or drink more milk hahaha (sorry had to say something to be a smart ^&#%#)

Ryan
    haha! that's cool.. funny anway!
  • arkie6arkie6 Posts: 198
    Regarding the daytime running lights question: Seems like I remember someone posting something about pressing the parking brake down a click or two will turn them off. I'm not sure and my memory may be a little fuzzy on this since I wasn't too concerned with it (I don't have the daytime running lights). The other option would be to deenergize the relay the turns on the daytime running lights, which operate the main headlights at about 50% intensity. There may be a fuse you can pull or a wire that can be disconnected. You might also checkout www.tundrasolutions.com message board for this same question.
  • egbakeregbaker Posts: 13
    These lights are required by law now, I believe.

I have a T100 and bought all factory service manuals($137.00 for all - Toyota ripped me off).
    These things pay for themselves and I have bought some for each car I have ever owned.

Anyway, I believe my manual indicates a special relay is used for this daytime light function(for Canada models at the time). Look for a relay panel(usually either the drivers left foot wall or the engine compartment - there are more than one panel in Toyotas). The relay may be labeled, or its socket when unplugged. Unplug it and see if anything else associated with the lighting system is effected.

Good luck and let us know if you find one that works.
  • Got all excited and went out and fired up the Tundra. The parking break solution is a dud. As for relay switched, I'll check it out, but I think I'll let somebody else that might know what they are doing go out and pull plugs. Is it possible that the relay is buried in some computer chip? Just a thought. Anyway, I appreciate all the suggestions, and I'll let you know what I figure out.
    Start snippin wires haha.

parking brake method is used i know for a fact on blazers.

Ryan
    Parking brakes used on Blazers to cut off the Daytime Running Lights? I have to tell my friend they skipped his '98 Blazer.
    This is on a 2000 blazer i know for sure the 99 and 2000 uses this. You push the parking brake in till you hear a little noise (cant describe it) you do not activate the parking brake. Only annoying thing is on the dash one of the warning lights comes on no biggy though.

Ryan
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    On my Silverado, you can just pull the fuse for daytime running lights. I like having 'em on, so fuse stays in. I would like to be able to turn the headlamps off at night. Not that I need to, but I just don't like it that GM doesn't trust me to turn them on. Big brother. On the 2000 and newer models, you have the option. But on '99s like mine, you're stuck.
    Wish my Tundra had that option. Running light go off after the engine is shut off.

My friend's Blazer's turn signal blinkers are bugged out though, the clicking when you turn them on the signals comes from under the glove box! haha!
    Dads blazer turn signal noise is loud and comes from the passenger side up by the window and speaker. I hate the noise.

Also on my silverado when i put it in park like at a RR xing (this morning when i got stopped for example) the DRL's go off so they dont blind anyone.

Ryan
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    The 99 Silverado head lights can be shut off at night, but it is a pain. You need to turn the truck off, put the parking brake on, then restart the truck. The lights stay off until you release the brake or put truck into gear.

I have only used this system once (4th of July fireworks display) so 99.9999% of the time I just let the auto-light feature do its job.