Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• john217john217 Posts: 10
    Guys, I really appreciate the information. The one I'm looking at goes for Msrp of $16,115.

Base truck= 15,345
    ca $0
    cb $150
    ck $70
    do $ -90
    fw $100
    mg $60
    delivery $480

Total $16,115 (invoice $14,385)

TundraDude, I guess I'm out to lunch because I am not familiar with the vibration problems. Do you think this is still a current problem or has toyota rectified it ? Again, thank you for your time and help, John.
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    The vibration problem should no longer be a problem. It just affected the first 10000 estimated) 2wd models. I have #6000.
    Even that # was random on the 10000 or so. Only a few were actually affected.
  • newfbwnewfbw Posts: 1
    Looking to replace my 1993 Ford Aerostar (4.0L) with a Tundra. Was on the lot Sunday and know what features I want, etc.

I tow a Coleman Pop-up camper; loaded, it grosses out around 4,200 pounds.

It appears from other posts that the V-8 Tundra is more than adequate -- how about the V-6 with the 5-speed?? It will save me about $2,000 if I go with the V-6.

Thanks!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    A 5 speed will be fine on level ground but I would avoid it for pulling boats from the water. the V6 will do the 4200 # you are looking at but it will be pushing it. If it were me, I'd pay the extra $2K and get the V8. In the long run, I think you would be happier with the performance of the V8 and in 5 or 6 years, you will have forgotten about the $2K.
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Posts: 324
    I towed a pop up camper and a boat with my V6 Tacoma. I must say it felt like I was pushing it going up hill. It was adequate because it wasn't a daily thing. But having a V8 option on the Tundra was nice.
  • dogsterdogster Posts: 94
    After owning a T100 4x4 V6 5 speed and owning a Tundra 4x4 automatic I would definitely buy the V8 and automatic for $2000 more. Ther's only about 3 mpg difference (towing 4800 lbs.) Most people tow with an automatic because the torque converter multiplies the engine torque 'till it locks up, which will give you more pulling power and flexibility than with a 5 speed. I had to shift the T100's 5 speed a lot on the interstate to keep it in the powerband. Plus you will make up the $2000 on resale, since 6 cylinder full size trucks are harder to sell - everyone wants a V8.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Posts: 1,583
    Go for the V8. I own an access cab V8 4WD and I can attest that the V8 is sweet! The engine is derived from a Lexus (bulletproof reliability) and with the 32 valve DOHC powerplant it hauls [non-permissible content removed]! The truck I have is probably at least 4600 lb. and the truck jumps when I press on the accelerator.

It is extremely torquey down low and yet it loves to rev. $2000 is an amazing bargain for this engine and it is one of the main reasons I bought a Tundra.

You will pay a 1-2 mpg penalty over the V6, but it is worth it!
    If you are comparing a V6 SR5 with a V8 SR5, you will get more for your money if you get the V8 regardless of the towing.

I tow with my V6, and it does great and I did save thousands of dollars.

Ask yourself this question: Am I purchasing a trailer someday in the near future that may weigh in around 6000 lbs? Then go with the V8, otherwise its a feature call between the two different SR5 models. This is assuming that the base model is out of your analysis.

I am hoping by the time I upgrade into a bigger trailer (more weight), they will have a Toyota heavy duty version. Even the T100 had a one ton model. I have never seen one though. I know that this model had no extra towing capabilities but Toyota did make it.
  • tundra_guytundra_guy Posts: 49
    Hay anyone have a problem changing the overhead console from the garage door opener to the eyeglass holder? I have a Tundra V8 Access Cab Limited 4X4 this one problem made me so mad!
  • ferris47ferris47 Posts: 131
    I swear they welded that console in there and just told people it could be removed as some kind of mean joke. It will come out but you have to use the Brute Force and Pray method. Just squeeze the little tabs like the book tells you and pull for all your worth. I believe I yanked one side out and then the other. It is a Beach, but it will come out. It is not nearly as hard to put the GDO console door in. Good luck.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    These things drive me nuts but once you figure out the trick, it is easy. First, open it up all the way. Then, place your index finger behind the hinge and pull straight back while using your thumb as leverage.

Once the garage door holder is out, you will notice a small piece of felt covering a piece of plastic. Push it back behind the plastic clip. Now, with the sunglass door in the open position, push back firmly until it snaps into place. Close the door and enjoy.

About 20% of the time, the door will not spay in the plastic clip. If this happens, remove the door and take a ball point pen and push back on the plastic clip that use to be covered by the felt. Don't bend it too much but it does need to move a little. Now, reinstall the door and you should be fine.

I do this 10 to 15 times a month. I wish Toyota would default the sunglass holder instead of the garage door opener. Nobody seems to own garage doors any more.
    My truck had the Sunglasses holder instead of the Garage Door Opener holder.

Found a problem with the back door swinging the other way. Loading groceries inside, while parked between other vehicles can be a hassle. There aren't enough room to maneuver because the front door has to be opened first. The grocery cart gets in the way of the other door because you have to pull it forward otherwise the cart will be behind the opened rear door.

I'd toss the groceries in the back if I had some kind of cargo net. But then again under the blazing sun here in Arizona, my groceries will be ruined!

Any other stuff I toss in the back, reluctantly. The dealer has yet to honor the 'I owe you' note for the bedliner. I've had the truck for over a month now.
    finally got the bed liner this weekend.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Posts: 1,006
    The dealer should give you the door opener holder. I got both with my truck.
    They gave me both but the suglasses holder was the one installed when I got it. I think there was a post regarding how much of a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] it was to remove! ha!
    It might hurt your fingers a little, but...."pain in the keester". I hope not! ;)
    thing the truck did twice already. Sitting on a stop while I had my foot on the brake pedal (it's an automatic) I felt a little nudge. It seem like the truck settled into a sweet spot. I dunno why/what it is. I'm gonna go see the dealer what this is about.
    You may be feeling the transmission shift. When I come to a stop after being in a higher gear the tranny downshifts in preparation for the next accelaration.
    Shouldn't it be in the lowest gear already by the time I came to a hault?!

I was in a complete stop already when I felt the nudge. I barely felt it my girlfriend didn't feel it.

I'm thinking does the truck starts off at 2nd gear? Sometimes?