Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    Tbr - this is fairly common in the Tundras. My 2000 Tundra does it and so does a friend's. Like you said, once it warms up a little bit (about a minute) it goes away. You can't hear it from outside the truck and not at idle. We've come to accept it as a symptom the truck just has when it's very cold out. Not sure there's anything to fix on it.
  • tbr3847tbr3847 Member Posts: 4
    Does any body know how the remote key less entry and alarm work on the 2000 tundra it behaves as it has a mind of its own? There is a green button to the right of the temp gauge on the rear view mirror does anyone know its function? I also have a red button near the dim switch that blinks when depressed...no idea what it does!! None of these are explained in the owners manual so any help would be appreciated
  • lagitanelagitane Member Posts: 25
    Just bought a new Tundra V-6, SR5, automatic,access cab, in December. Rides nice and smooth. Real nice on the Hwy. My thing is, this truck on rough roads just doesn't feel strong. Handles OK, but feels weak. Don't think it will ever work on the gravel and rutty & heavy washboard roads I drive on. Just feels loose. Any of you guys got any tips on how to make it stronger. V-6's unfortunately don't come in a TRD package. Bilstein shocks are expensive, but if they really make that much different, I'll buy them. Other problem is that I started out the first month getting 20 mpg; now it has dropped to 17.9. Not cool! I'm in a rural area. Not alot of stop lights or signs. Tire pressure is good. Driving hasn't changed one iota. Anybody got any clue as to what's up?? Thanks.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Tires?

Did you get the passenger tires or the truck tires?
    tundradude:
     Just have the same tires the truck came with: Bridgestone Duelers, P245/70R16's. Keep them inflated to factory specs. Haven't changed anything since I bought it.
    I have those tires currently on my v8. When I had my V6, I traded those tires for the Michelins. I did notice a big difference since the Michelins were truck tires.

Having those passenger tires again, I accept the limitations of them. However, the next set will be the MIchelins again.

I would also recommend getting the 265/70 16 size when the time comes. I feel like it made a difference on my V6 as well.
    tundradude: Thanks for the advice. I agree that bigger, better tires will make this truck handle better on the nasty roads I'm used to, but I find it hard to believe that bigger, tougher tires will make up for the gas mileage loss. Now with gas prices climbing toward $2.00, this is crucial. I do alot of driving. Live 12 miles out of town where I work, plus get bored in Hicksville and spend most week-ends elsewhere, sometimes 200-400 miles away. I keep reading in the past chats about other people experiencing gas mileage increases over short periods of time. Something isn't right. Never had this happen before in any vehicle I've owned until it got old and wasn't running right. This truck is brand new. Don't get it. Scarey. The way things are, kinda wish I'd have just gone ahead and spent the money for a V-8. This V-6 sucks gas like one. (Oh, and I do check my tires for air weekly.)
    I averaged 17.5 to 20 in the V6 not towing.

I average 17 with the V8 not towing.

With my V6 that I had I noticed that it varied alot.
    Tundradude: So, other than towing, how would you compare the power and overall performance of your V-8 to your V-6. I only have 2300 miles on this truck. Afraid that, over time, I am going to be unhappy with this truck. Considering trading for a V-8 or even a Tacoma, at least there I'd have 4x4 which I miss from my old 94 Toyo PU. I am looking for a Toyo dealer who will deal strictly from invoice. Likely going to have to go to Phx for this. Can't find them here or in Tucson. Just really set on the MRSP. They are really into rebates and crap, but from MSRP, not invoice, no way. Have any information on Toyo truck dealers on the web who will deal from invoice? I liked this truck when I first bought it until I really drove it like I normally do over some bad roads and up and down mountains (narrow, rocky roads). Just very disappointed at this point. Truck was expensive. Just expected more from Toyota in a V-6.
  • touctouc Member Posts: 28
    My 2003 Tundra SR5 2WD TRD makes a clicking sound when I put in drive/reverse. Read somewhere it might be an ABS problem. Anyone familiar with this problem???
    I thought the power from the V6 wasn't bad. The truck I had before that was a T-100 4-cylinder. I also had the 5-speed transmission. The V6 had reasonable performance and I wasn't disappointed. However, considering the gas mileage difference and the power increase, the V8 is more fun. Its also more fun not to shift gears, especially when towing. I like manual transmissions, but the one with the V6 was not as smooth as my cars or past trucks are/were.

I should have bought the V8 to begin with, but O well. I enjoyed the long bed on my V6 Tundra and it was cheaper in price. I wish Toyota would someday make an extended cab long bed.

Overall I have enjoyed both of the Tundras, but the V8 allows me to enjoy it more.
  • apurazzoapurazzo Member Posts: 1
    nothing to worry about its your abs when you first pull away went to the dealer and test drove another and it also did it
  • touctouc Member Posts: 28
    Anthony, did the dealer tell you that it was the abs system? Did they say that was "normal"?
  • skottyskotty Member Posts: 2
    I absolutly love my Truck. It rides better than my car and the power is just fine. It is a truck after all and not a race car, so the cops wont be stopping me anymore and ill save money...LOL

happy driving
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I was quoted a price of $300.00 below invoice plus $1,500 cash back or 3.9% for 60 months on a 2003 Tundra 4x4.

This sounds a little to good. I must be missing something?
  • kevinmhuynhkevinmhuynh Member Posts: 6
    What price did you offer to them??? You was quoted 300 below invoice...What is the Tundra v8 or v6? what option...etc...any info i appreicate it...I'm planning to buy Tundra 4X2,4dr,V6...with all of the option...I check EDMUNDs
    MSRP $22015 option $2270 = 25504...
    True market value is $23,435...How much should I offer to those value? also right now has $2000 rebate...Should I minus $2000 to 25504 or 23435??? Any info of your i thank you...
  • az_tundraaz_tundra Member Posts: 3
    Got my new truck two weeks ago. Love it. Had a 1977 Ford F150 Ranger 4x4, 400 c.u. engine, it was just too old. I move around, including overseas, so I wanted a truck that could get worked on anywhere in the world.

I got a good deal, I believe: out the door for $30,300, including 5.6% tax and the following options: captain's chairs, limited slip diff, TRD, auto-dimming mirror w/compass and temp, tow pkg, upgraded stereo (6 disc CD). Also got windows tinted, pin stripe, and fabric protectant free from dealer in Phoenix, who transferred my truck to Sierra Toyota in Sierra Vista, AZ. It's Salsa Red Pearl with oak interior. The price includes a $1500 factory rebate and a $500 active duty military rebate. I financed at 4.75% on my own.

This truck moves out! I wanted a lot of power after having the F150, and I tow a 5000 pound travel trailer. Plus I have a lead foot and don't mind paying for the gas. I almost bought an Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe because it really hauls, but it's not too practical...

No complaints here--I don't have kids, so wasn't really worried about full-size rear door & seats.

I'm getting about 16 mpg in the city, and I'm a lead foot about 1/2 the time.

The chairs are much more comfortable than the bench, and of course the V8 has tons of torque and HP. My wife's 4Runner has the V6 w/190 HP--the Tundra smokes it.

Haven't tested the TRD in any serious 4x4 situation yet, but will let you know. Figured I might as well get the full meal deal while I was at it, rather than pay for it out of pocket later.

I like the lockable rear gate--Arizona has a lot of truck and truck parts stolen. Also like the inserts for the 2x4's or 2x6's, keeps stuff from sliding around. You might want to use a thin piece of packing foam to keep the boards from rattling around...

The stereo is great, too. It's the premium one, and again is better than my wife's stereo in her 2001 4Runner.

Great truck if you need Toyota reliability, plenty of power, and don't need a full back seat.
  • az_tundraaz_tundra Member Posts: 3
    I saw several 4x2 Tundras on the lots here in Tucson and in Sierra Vista--the dealers will give you a good deal!

I recommend you go in and offer invoice plus $500. The dealer has to make a little money. Then ask them for a couple of freebies like floor mats...

Don't be afraid to call several dealers in your town or nearby town and play them off each other--it's YOUR money! And if you get jerked around, WALK OUT!

Bottom line--they want to get the truck off their lot!
    Just got an 03 Tundra 4x2 V-8, Auto. As soon as I got it home, found out the CD player skips all over the place. OK, still on warrantee. But brakes are acting weird off and on. Sometimes when I have to brake on a rough surface, I feel them make this grinding, metallic sound under my feet. Sort of feels like they just catch a bit. Spooky feeling. Anyone know what that might be? From what I'm reading, other people have had lots of trouble with the Toyo ABS brakes. A friend just traded her V-6 Tundra for a Ford F-150 cause it needed new breaks in less than a year.//Other shock was mileage. I was incredulous. Only getting about 15.5 mpg mixed driving and about 16.6 mpg on the Hwy. Never had a truck with that bad of mileage. Neighbors Ford F-150 gets 19 mpg; only a SOHC. Hoping it gets better after the break in period. Anybody got any feedback. I was told to expect at least 17-18 on the Hwy. I'm not even close. About ready to take it back to the dealer and down size to a Tacoma V-6. I like Toyotas. Have always trusted their reliability, but I'm not too crazy about my short experience with this Tundra so far, and don't like the other stuff I'm reading and hearing either. Any helpful feedback and advice would be appreciated. Getting pretty spooked, considering the money I've already forked out for this machine. (Went to Tundra Probs & Solutions, but all those guys do is argue; lots of testosterone flying around. Not helpful.) Hope someone here can help.
    My 2000 Tundra limited has 32,000 miles on it now and I've had zero problems... nor have I heard or read of anybody else experiencing problem brakes like you describe. There was a TSB on the 2000 Tundras for the star adjuster (a few).

As to the mileage. When I first got mine I was a little surprised at the mileage. But after breaking in, it's improved somewhat. You have to learn not to jump on the gas if you want decent mileage. I towed my boat from north Alabama to DC and averaged about 21 mpg on the trip. Daily commuting to and from work I average 15-18.
    Hate to sound stupid, but what is a TSB? Still new at this site and the lingo. Also don't know what a "star adjuster" is. Please explain. I'm just learning.//After talking to the guys on the Tacoma site, I decided to stay with the Tundra and just bite the bullet on the gas. Got some good suggestions there about using synthetic oil after a couple thousand miles; then switching to a K&N filter, plus using Octane on long hwy trips. Figure a tuneau cover should help with wind resistance as well, or maybe a camper shell. Brakes are still on warrantee, so not too concerned yet, just paying attention to them. Gas mileage unfortunately is not. Gotta find ways to trim that mpg down a bit. Everybody says it will do better after the break in period, so I'll just wait and see. Found this site on the Tacoma line about a different break in method a motorcycle mechanic came up with. Seems to work for cars/trucks as well. Makes sense to me. Gonna try it. If intersted, go to the Tacoma site, thread: "Poor mileage acceptable to Toyota" and scoll down until you find it. Pretty interesting. Thanks.
    TSBs are technical service bulletins available from the NHTSA. You can find them on this government website:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

I'm not an automotive maintenance expert and couldn't begin to tell you what a STAR adjuster is or does. My brakes work fine and always have so I didn't dig into the issue. Peruse the site and see if there's something listed there that describes your braking concerns.

As to the mileage, you can do whatever you want, but experience generally says that things like tonneau covers (while nifty devices) generally don't pay back in any reasonable timeframe on MPG. The difference is negligible. Same thing with higher octane fuel - after you add the expense, the difference in mileage is tiny (adjusted for similar driving conditions). Same goes for synthetic lubricant - not a bad idea as a lubricant, but not likely to change your fuel economy enough to notice.

What you CAN do is drive more conservatively - much more. That can easily give you an additional 10 percent MPG without costing you a dime. And ten percent is a helluva lot compared to the marginal increases you might see from the aforementioned measures.
    Thanks for that web site for TSB's. Will explore that. Having a terrible decision dilemma about taking this beautiful Tundra back and trading it for for a V-6 Tundra or a V-6 Taco Pre-Runner TRD (can't talk the dealer into a V-6 4x4 Extra cab-he says I'm too upside down). I took the Tundra up the side of a 9,000 foot mountain yesterday to see how it did climbing. This is a pretty good dirt road; Forest Service keeps it plowed, but its rocky with lots of tight switchbacks. Sucker did OK for a 4x2, I must admit. TRD package does make a difference. A little skiddish on the fine gravely surfaces (granite) we get in the SW, and needed to keep it in Low gear (auto tranny) on the way down. My old Taco I4, 4x4 handled that road like a dream. In low 4x4 gears, didn't need to use breaks much. The Tundra did the hairpin turns fine. Has plenty of power to get up that steep sloaps, but GAS. Dang. Sucker guzzled gas like it was starving. Unreal. I had it in Low gear all the way, and didn't push it. (Still in break in period.) I was always told that a V-8 wouldn't have to work as hard as a V-6, so wouldn't have to work as hard on hills. WRONG! Freaked me out. Ate an 1/8 of a tank tank for 24 miles. Not good as I have been getting at least 100-110 per 1/4 tank on mostly flat pavement. Is this normal? This is gonna be a big problem for me, as I spend my 3-day week-ends and vacations in the White Mountains (on New Mexico border), plus drive back to Idaho once a year; that's all uphill from AZ. So whatdaya think? Is it Taco time, or what?
    It sounds to me like you made a bad decision on the V-8. Pretty much anybody will tell you that a V-8 pickup truck is not something you buy if you're gas-conscious.
    Yup, you're right. I just got alot of misinformation from several Tundra owners about their gas mileage, including my neighbor. I don't think these folks even check it. Don't have to. They make so much money, not an issue for them. And, or course, the dealer lied. Duh!
    Love this truck, but think I'll be riding my 10-speed to work alot from now on. Should have come here first. Oh well.
  • norcalmike2norcalmike2 Member Posts: 133
    Hi folks,

I am seriously thinking about buying a 4X2 V-8 access cab. I am told that the TRD off road package smooths out the ride somewhat on bumpy pavement (something that a city slicker like me would like). Is that true? I'm anticipating towing a small 5th wheel trailer. Keeping that in mind, would it be a good idea to stay away from the off road suspension? Also, I would appreciate any real world feedback from Tundra owners on their gas mileage experiences. Thank you very much for any responses.
    Bought a V-6 Tundra last December. Didn't like it. Too soft & bouncy and dash rattled on bumpy, washboard roads. Just didn't feel solid, and gas mileage was bad at first and varried alot, but after break-in, I was getting about 17 around town and a whopping 20-21 on the Fwy as long as their were no grades or headwinds. //Recently traded the V-6 on a V-8 TRD. Love this V-8. What a difference. Just a stronger, more solid and stable ride. Takes to bumpy roads well, but not quite the car ride as a V-6. It's a TRD afterall. They are just tighter and stiffer, still very good overall on rough roads. I got the Limited slip differential. Makes a big difference on slippery surfaces, but can't compare to a 4x4. Now, mileage is gonna shock you. I was freaked about that. I'm averaging about 15 commuting (live in country-have to drive to the City to work). On the Freeway, best I've gotten so far is about 16.6. Haven't been able to do better than that yet, even when I take it easy. This is on FLAT pavement. If I take this puppy up a steep grade (which I often do), it sucks gas like there is no tomorrow; then mpg dropped to below 14 mpg, worse than that if I go up in the mountains with it. It also sucks a little more gas with the A/C on. I shudder to think what would happen if I were to pull something, or haul alot of weight. My truck may be just quirky. But I'm about to take it back because I just can't live with this kind of gas mileage especially with gas prices soaring between $1.68-$1.82 in most of AZ. Now, if money isn't a problem for you, I'd say, by all means go for that big V-8 Tundra. You'll love it. Otherwise, if you are on a budget, forget it. It will eat you alive at the pump.
  • brews1brews1 Member Posts: 40
    Mine is three months old with 4800 miles. Great highway ride, great side road ride. Last night on the NYS thruway at nearly 80, I felt like I was driving a well handling solid car. The suspension is a little too soft over bumps at low speeds, but that is a compromise because you want more suspension travel off road and just like anything else, I got use to it. I like this truck more and more every day, solid, fast, good handling and it fits well in my garage. I towed a 3500 pound pop-up trailer only a short distance and it felt fine. As far as gas mileage, my first tank in February was 14.7 around town and I was hoping it would do better when it got warmer. The best I have done on the highway so far is 19.2 in late April (much warmer)and the last tank 70/30 hwy/city was 17.7. Just be careful if you decide to go with the V8 because I have to control myself since it reminds of my Z28 when I was a little younger and it makes me want to drive too fast. It is quick. The more you floor it, the worse the gas mileage. Check out tundrasolutions.com for other points of view.
  • dp279871dp279871 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
       I am brand new to the board and am going to purchase a new truck within the next 2 weeks to a month. I am looking at the Silverado, the Tundra and Dodge Rams and Dakotas. I think i am more leaning toward the Silverado or the Tundra. Either truck would be extended cab, 4wd, v8 with a towing and off road package. Without getting into the great American versus [non-permissible content removed] truck debate, could anyone advise me as to any problems they are having with their Tundras or dealership issues? I am currently driving a 13 year old toyota 4wd that has never had any real service issues so long term reliabilty is a concern. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
             Dan
  • wanabuyatruckwanabuyatruck Member Posts: 1
    I cam across a low mileage Limited 4X2 that is offered for what appears to be a good price. Question: Since this is the first year, are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? I understand the brakes were a problem with this truck but I am told this was resolved by the dealarship replacing the rotors & calipers on warranty.
    Please comment.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I do not own a Tundra truck but may buy one in the near future. There are numerous complaints about the gas mileage of a V8 Tundra truck in this forum. Combined mileage of 15 MPG for this truck is quite normal, especially for the 4X4 access cab model.
    First of all, the curb weight of a 4X2 access cab V8 is 4450 lbs and that of 4x4 model is 4725 lbs. The real axle ratio for both models is 3.92:1, and 3.91:1, respectively. This axle ratio, combined with high curb weight will simply not allow good fuel economy. If you buy a Chevy or Ford full size pickup with a 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 rear end, which is the closest to 3.91:1, you are not going to get any better fuel economy than Tundra. I have read complaints about Chevy Silverado 4X4 with 3.73:1 rear end getting only about 13-14 MPG.

In order to increase fuel economy, Ford used to offer an F 150 pickup with a 4.9 liter straight 6 engine, manual transmission, and 2.71:1 gear ratio. The truck came with the following note in the owner's manual: do not recommend any towing with this truck. How would you like that? This gave Ford an excuse to void any warranty if this truck was used for towing because clearly 2.73:1 rear end is not exactly the best gear ratio. Toyota does not play these games. I own a 95 Nissan 4X4 SE V6 king cab pickup with a 3 liter V6, 5 speed manual transmission, and really low gearing in the rear end (something like 4.375:1). I never get better than 17-18 MPG combined out of this truck, and much less when towing. And, at 3900 lbs curb weight, this truck is a lot lighter than a 4X4 V8 Tundra access cab (4725 lbs).
  • aggiebartaggiebart Member Posts: 37
    I am going to buy a 03 4X2 V8 Tundra. I do not know if I should buy the TRD Sport or Off Road package or neither. I want the smoothest ride possible on pavement. I will probably never go off road. I do plan to get the 17" wheels.

Any recommendations?
  • akasrpakasrp Member Posts: 170
    Sorry if this has been hashed out before, but am
    hoping to get some feedback from Tundra 4x2 owners.
    I am thinking I probably do not need 4x4 but would appreciate some help. Never owned a truck. Live on the edge of the Mojave. Travel to Death Valley, Eastern Sierras, etc. Aside from the rare snowfall I encounter (how do the 4x2's handle the snow?) I can't see where I'd need to engage the 4x4. Not going big time boondocking, just traveling dirt (ie, rock!) roads carrying the bikes, hiking gear etc to trailheads - have done all these things in my old Honda Accord hatchback without calamity (have been snowed in and had to ditch in Big Bear, though).
    Any of you 4x2 owners kicking yourselves that you didn't go 4x4?
    (FWIW, also looking at an AWD Subaru Forester but think the open bed might be a lot more convenient...)

thanks,
    -srp
    Any of you 4x2 owners kicking yourselves that you didn't go 4x4?

NO
  • johnmeijohnmei Member Posts: 44
    I am seriously considering purchasing a 2003 in a few days or waiting about 6 weeks and also look at the 2004 Tundra 4x4, Access Cab, V8 with the towing package, etc. The other vehicle I am considering is the totally new 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3V8, Z71, and towing package. I have heard that the problems of the past few years were elimated with the new 2003 model? I am retired. I have heard from a few friends that they get 18-19 1/2 mpg on the highway and 15 or better around town with the 5.3 V8. True or false, I don't know. Do you? The Sierra 1500 has nice style, a lot of space and comfort. The other vehicle I am considering is the Toyota Tundra 4x4 V8 although its rear seat is VERY small and the gas mileage I am told is about 16-17 on the highway and 13 - 15 mpg around town. However, it is a "bullet-proof" vehicle as far as safety, reliability and fit and finish. I have had 3 Toyota vehicles (not pickups but currently an Avalon) and they are virtually trouble free with a very strong front end that hardly ever needs alignment, regardless of the road condition.
    I read alot of negative comments. What are the positive comments about the 2003 Tundra and/or Sierra 4x4, 5.3 V8? Has anyone had both vehicles and honestly can compare the two from personal experience. I really need your input, advice, and experiences. Many thanks-John
  • geezer3geezer3 Member Posts: 30
    Has anyone out there heard the rumor that Toyota is putting a 5 speed automatic transmission in the 2004 Tundra? Apparently it's the same transmission that was introduced into the new 2003 4Runner with the 4.7 V8.
  • geezer3geezer3 Member Posts: 30
    Bought new and mileage was 14-17 until about 10,000 miles, and now averaging 17-20MPG. None of the problems I've heard about, but the dealer did replace rear drums and brakes anyway. Also the proper length oil dipstick. At 26,000 miles I've had no problems whatsoever, and is the nicest riding car I've ever owned, especially on long trips. Will be running an ad on it sometime this summer for $21,500... Always garaged, never abused,and Toyota seviced. Is this a reasonable price ? Will be getting a 2004 this fall cuz I want the electric rear window, and the compass and outside Temp. feature.

Someone on another post asked about " liters Vs. cubic inches " .... I just multiply 60 x the liters.. Tundra V/8 is 4.7 liters. Using this formula comes out to 282 cubic inches. I think that's pretty close isn't it ? Also the question came up about a childs seat in the rear of the extended cab. Have used one for our Granddaughter with no problems, especially with one of the front seats slightly forward, or the seat back raised to nearly vertical. I think they have solved part of that problem with the 2004 model.

In essence,I like the Tundra just fine, with no problems thus far. Like anything else however, a vehicle should satisfy your needs and pocketbook.

Geezer
  • medawnmedawn Member Posts: 1
    After reading all of your postings, I too figured to throw out my question and ask for your advise and/or comparisons.

I am looking to purchase a truck, probably "newly" used. Most of my mileage will be city, with some towing of a 21' boat.

My comparisons are the Tundra, F150, Sierra and Silverado. I'm looking for something with low maintance. I have been a long time Ford owner and am considering branching out. Any advise would be great?
    I just went through the exact same exercise. I own in addition to a Toyota Avalon a 1984 Ford F-250 4x4 truck and I am the original owner. The old Ford is ready to be put to rest. That said, my wife and I looked at the current models and really like some features about the GMC; however, when it came down to a final decision, my wife and I each drove a brand new GMC Sierra on a paved country road and on the interstate. We did the same with the Tundra. The Tundra was smoother and quieter and gave me more a feeling of security especially in a panic situation. We also like the feature that the Tundra is a little smaller and thus easier to park, etc.
    The drivetrain warranty on the Tundra is for a longer period of time. It will tow my 21' boat just fine with power to spare. We also have owned Toyota vehicles for over 10 years, put many miles on them and NEVER have had a problem. Thus, our decision is to buy the Tundra. We just are too apprehensive about going GMC or Ford as I don't wish to spend my time in a dealer's service area waiting for problems to be corrected. We know the Tundra is a great vehicle as all the reviews, crash test results clearly demonstrate.
    Hope this helps.
    I have a 02 Tundra SR5 V8 that I tow a Sunnybrook 26FK camping trailer. I have had two camping trips that were around 11 or more hours away and many more 5 hours or less.

I have never had a single problem with my Tundra. It gets around 17-20 without towing and 8.5 - 11.5 while towing depending on speed and mountain grades.

I wish Toyota would make a higher towing rating truck. I have heard that this will happen in 2005. I also wish the current Tundra could do some of the things like the new Nissan Titan. Here again, maybe in 2005.

I really enjoy my truck for camping. It has never let me down. I really like how it can pull my camper up and down sharp grades in the mountains.

I have been really amazed how my current Tundra has woke up the industry. It is like what Lexus did to MB and BMW. The truck industry as a whole has some wonderful offerings especially in the towing department. Well at least until 2005, there is a double cab option in Toyota's stable. That should silence the critics on how tight the extended cab is (although it does make a wonderful bed while traveling those long trips).
  • brews1brews1 Member Posts: 40
    I went through the same process and wound up with the Tundra in February. Got a 2003 SR5 4X4 TRD LSD V8 because I liked the size, the power, the ride and comfort. I also thought it just felt better compared to the others. The fit and finish was better and my experience with other GM products pushed Toyota over the edge. I tow a 16 foot jet boat and got 13 mph while towing. No problems at all at 10,000 miles. My only complaint is that the front end feels a little bouncy on the highway at times with the TRD suspension, nothing really bad, just feels a little too soft for my taste at times. Thinking of adding a sway bar or stiffer shocks.
  • mickeysmstrmickeysmstr Member Posts: 6
    If you are in the market for a new truck, you are selling yourself short to not wait a few months and check out the new F150. That truck is going to be the most heavily scrutinized vehicle coming off the assembly line, and the quality will likely be outstanding. It already has gotten great reviews by various media reports. Don't overpay for a truck just because it is a Toyota - its not worth it in the long run.
  • 02whttrib02whttrib Member Posts: 39
    I think it is very brave of you to offer advice like Quality and Ford in the same post.

Give me a break. Did Ford cut it's advertising budget as well and send you to disperse this misleading info? You get what you pay for in this case.

Ray, the only Ford I'll EVER own again will be on my display shelf.
  • chergingerlchergingerl Member Posts: 1
    We shopped for 2 months; Labor day approached. We waited. Toyota was finally offering $2000 off..
    We got $2000 more off.. Then they could not come up with the truck we had ordered; therefore, we got another thousand off, having settled for one with "Toyota Guard" .. It is beautiful, roomy, seats are nice
    (except for that danged headrest, which is NOT as pushy as mOST that are coming in new cars and trucks)
     The power is awesome and so is the ride. We will let you know more later.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    In my humble opinion, this truck is a lot uglier than the 03 version. It is really boxy looking.
    One comment: You can get a wonderful truck with just about any make or model these days. It is just that the probablity of getting a lemon is much higher with US domestic models than with Japanese designed ones. So buying a new vehicle is always a gamble. This is why I tend to hold onto those that I am happy with for a long time.
  • 02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only changes for 2003 is the front bumper facia, ABS standard, side-step model and on the limited; steering wheel controls and power rear window. Does anybody have any experience with the power rear window? Do you like it? What's the primary purpose? To hual longer items, or just to open things up, kinda like a rear sunroof?
  • quen10quen10 Member Posts: 1
    also i dont realy regret not buy 4x4 b/c i dont drive off road but i would say its always good to have the option..but for me 4x2 v6 is good enough for me crazy testdriver
  • ohmboyohmboy Member Posts: 3
    I've owned this truck for four years now and as pleased with it now as the day I bought it. 42,000 miles and 1 o2 sensor and a headlight glitch both repaired under warranty. Not too bad for a 1st year run. Average 17-18 mpg in daily driving and around 20-21 on the highway. This, contrary to what some others seem to think, is pretty good truck milage The original equipment Dunlops though were somewhat lacking. I change my own oil using Mobil1 @ 5000 miles and except for other routine maintence has been trouble free. This is a lot more than I can say for my work truck which is a 1 ton Chevy diesel. But then that's a whole different story. I came out of an 88 F150 when I purchased this truck and it was also mostly trouble free. The 165,000 solid miles on my wife's Avalon prompted me to look Tundra and at least so far am happy with the choice.