Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• Can anyone share their opinions/experiences with the Toyota installed Security system vs. an after market system such as Viper. My vehicle is due within the next week or so and I'd like to decide which way to go.

Thanks,
    Tony
  • Does anyone know when Toyota will introduce a Quad Cab Tundra?
  • With the new redesign in 2004 or 2005.
  • fischdafischda Posts: 272
    New to this topic - like some of the characters who post here!

Got rid of my Ford Ranger in DC for a sedan, and now want a full-size truck. I'm moving to Omaha and buying a house, and I just need a truck. Will eventually tow a boat. I tested '02 Tundra and '02 Silverado, but not F-150 yet.

Based on the '99 Sienna I own, Toyota has the edge on quality, and the Tundra's smooth powerplant was a joy, even if hp/torque not up to Ford/GM.

Are there any Ford/GM/Dodge converts out there who love their Tundras? I see their downsides being smallish x-tra cab and lack of features. How would you rate its overall utility (ride comfort, kids in back, hauling, off-road manners, reliability, etc.)? Thanks for your input!
  • Be careful there, jmsintx!!! You don't want to upset all the die-hard Ford and Chevy guys who want to believe their tough, American-iron (in many cases, Mexican iron) trucks collapse like styrofoam cups compared to those weak tin-can "Toys."
  • If you can pick through the drivel from folks like plutonius you'll get some good info! He can't touch the keyboard without boosting his ego by bashing Ford or GM trucks and their owners.

As far as towing with the Tundra: A Truck Trend magazine article from this past summer rated the Tundra excellent for towing. The test was a Tundra and a Silverado pulling a good-size boat/trailer which weighed around 5000lbs (if I remember correctly). Both trucks performed great and the magazine the magazine gave the Tundra a thumbs up due to it's smooth ride and handling. They felt the Tundra was just about at it's comfortable suspension limits but said the Chevy could handle more if necesary. So both trucks have their strong and weak points. Either truck would be great for pulling a boat in that size range.
  • fischdafischda Posts: 272
    I'd tow no more than about a 23' ski.pleasure craft (no more than 5000lbs. I guess).

How about lack of options on the Toyo? Chevy has things like lumbar, pwr/heated seats, heated mirrors, auto 4WD, rear air vents, air temp display, etc. that Tundra doesn't offer...I know, I know - how did we ever survive the 70's w/o any of these things, but we're used to the gizmos these days!
  • hutch7hutch7 Posts: 88
    After owning 4 Ford tucks over the last 20 years,
    I am now a stedfast Tundra convert. The Tundra IS a little bit smaller than the big 3, but that's one of it's best qualities IMHO. I don't have to scout out parking spaces at Home Depot anymore... my "Toy" will fit into almost any spot. And it fits in my garage! Of course I'm still waiting for it to start falling apart like my last F-150 did...
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Posts: 235
    I too see the smaller size as an asset rather than a liability. The truck is extremely easy to drive in the urban jungle.

Since the overwhelming majority of us live in urban/suburban areas, then the Tundra makes perfect sense. Since 2/3 of those who drive trucks drive them to commute and on occasion aul stuf from Home Depot or tow less than 7000 lbs, then the Tundra make perfect sense.

Yes it is smaller than the big three. The only real problem is the rear seat. But I am a single man and I hardly use it.

Toyota did the right thing by making this turck ride and drive like a car and making it smaller. That is why the Tundra is meeting its 100K annual sales target.

Now that the Tundra has established a foothold in the truck market, the next step is to widen the Tundra models. The most needed is a quad cab and maybe a bigger engine.
  • Here's a full size truck made for tight parking spaces. Turn radius as tight as Honda Accord.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2002/january/200201_shorttake_gmcdenali.xml?&page=1
  • bamatundrabamatundra Posts: 1,583
    A GM owner who has bought a lemon Silverado is posting in this group. He surely must realize that he is posting off topic. Just sour grapes?

My Tundra has been flawless for the 2 years I have owned it. It has been the best quality and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
  • steering will fix the shaking steering column in those Shakerados!
  • My wife started up the tundra this afternoon and there was some heavy smoke from the exhaust. I didn't see it when it exited the pipe so I couldn't tell if it was white (coolant) or blue (oil). It's a 2000 extended cab with the V8 and I have been religious with the maint. Has anybody out there seen this problem? I know what causes both types of smoke but with only 36K miles I am very concerned.

I will update the board after I get it in the shop. This board helped me get the brake/vibration taken care of so I owe a follow up to the rest of you.
    Regards,
    Jeff...
    Quad, WHY would any red-blooded American want to buy a pickup made in Canada (no offense to Canadians) ALL Tundras are made in the US.
    And so-called "American" Silverado trucks are built in Canada. During the 4 months that your truck spent in the shop, did you worry about where your truck was built?
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    bama what state was your truck built in?
    Why would any red-blooded american want to buy a foreign built truck? I would rather buy a Tundra - all Tundras are built in the US. All Denials are built in Canada (A foreign country).

If you buy a GM Denial - You are shipping jobs out of the US!
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Posts: 235
    STOP. Please keep this thread about rating the Tundra. If you want to flame, go to the ride and mpg thread.

Personally, I do not give a sh*t where my truck is built as long as it has quality and reliability engineered in it. If Afghanistan made a reliable quality truck, then I will buy it.
  • You are ridiculous, go F*UCK yourself, you F*UCKING pig.
    I totally agree with you! Unfortunately, ObywannaTundra and Quad do not agree! Even though they both own GM Lemons, they insist on posting in the Tundra forums.

They got stung buying their $30,000(or $40,000) Lemonados. They are trying to resolve their pain by bashing Toyotas. Please give them the pity they deserve!
    bama maybe you missed post #950 but what state was your truck built in? If i am not mistaken it was built in indiana. The state i live in and OH yea my silverado was built in the same very state.

"Why would any red-blooded american want to buy a foreign built truck?"

So when did indiana become a foreign nation?
  • hutch7hutch7 Posts: 88
    Seems like every thread I visit on this site involves some sort of dicussion about the Chevy.
    What's with that? I've given up on the Big 3 and yet still they haunt my threads!
    i apologize but i cannot let misinformation be spread throughout topics.
  • mr620mr620 Posts: 60
    you have to forgive those gm boys because owning gm trucks and jumping threads to threads to bash others are the most patriotic things they have ever done in their lives.

Oh they says toyota parts are made in japan. Little do they know that the nickel, copper, aluminium and plastic likely came from north american soil. I'm sure japan don't have these material.

Hey obyone, quad, etc, keep those truck and suv orders coming, and keep buying new one every 2 years because we canadian just loves those US dollars.
    What misformation? Many Shakerados are built in Canada. You have to accept this simple facr.
  • Now obyone is criticizing people for not answering any questions related to their truck! obyone, how many times have you done the same, using your dumb old Tacoma side-impact rating anytime somebody addressed you regarding GMC trucks?

Funny you get so hot and bothered about a hypothetical situation, like trucks made in Afghanistan. You must truly live in a hypothetical world, where trucks that spend 4 months a year at the dealership are the best trucks money can buy...
  • at least I can drive my truck 12 months a year, not 8 months a year like you. For safety's sake, your best argument is your truck isn't on the road 33.3% of the time 'cuz it's at the dealership on a lift...
  • advertised "as the most dependable, longest lasting trucks on the road" need "corrections" AND an extended warranty, especially when new?

Sidestepping into the past? The past is a good indication of the future. Your NEW truck was plagued with problems that took 4 months to fix, what the HELL makes you think it will "improve" with time and more miles???

This is all TOO FUNNY! It's obvious you're only here trying to justify your purchase of that LEMON!!!

Oh yeah, did that 4 months at the dealership solve your truck's tendency to crumple like styrofaom in a collision that was so clearly illustrated by the IIHS' crash test?
  • Why does a Chevy lemon owner whose truck spends a third of the year in the shop bother lurking around Tundra threads anyway?