Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    You are right about most salesmen. My dealership established a truck department because of this. There are only 5 of us who are allowed to talk to a truck customer. I've trained all of them on how to listen and work with the truck buyers.

Now, on to your question. I don't have my tape measurer handy, but you'd be best off making those yourself anyway. Obyone has the right idea.
  • ken0ken0 Posts: 29
    Cliffie - where is your dealership , it would be a pleasure to talk with knowledgable people,
    I hope it isn't too far from northeast Texas
    Ken-o
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Yep your pretty far away from cliff. Hes in the DC area correct cliff?

I know its not in texas thats for sure.
    Ryan is correct. I am in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC. If you click on my profile, you will get all the info. I never mind answering questions even for those whom I will never sell a car or truck to , so feel free to e-mail me with any questions.
    I will be in Leesburg and Staunton either this fall or the next spring and will try to contact you just to be able to have a chat
    Ken-o
    If you show up in Staunton in the fall, you'd better bring a rifle. Deer season is taken very seriously in these parts. I can also promise you that the Tundra will hold several deer quite nicely.
    Cliffy - My sis lives in Staunton and all I have to do is show up with a Bambi and family relations would be ruined forever ( I have a deer rifle son-in-law gave me and 100 rounds but have not had a chance to fire it (I am a bow man)sides we have pretty good whitetail and mulies in east Texas.
    Son lives in Leesburg and feels same way. Wife loves venison but rest of family goes bonkers at the thought of eating Bambi - this leaves me and wife and one daughter and son-in-law to do the eating (their loss)
    Ken-o
  • kcowboykcowboy Posts: 33
    I'm looking at getting either a Tundra or Tacoma DoubleCab, any advice or info anybody might have. I like the V8 Tundra 2WD with the TRD package but the back seats seemed to be a little cramped compared to the DoubleCab, but of course on the other end the Tacoma is smaller over all. How does the gas mileage on the V8 Tundra compare to the V6 in the DoubleCab, is there very much of a difference. I would like to go with the bigger engine in either model. Just curious on how ride,handling and quality compare. Thanks,
    First thing you need to do is decide how important back seat room is. If this is the primary reason for buying the truck, get the D-Cab Tacoma. If ride comfort, front seat space, power, towing capacity and size are more important, the Tundra is the logical choice. There is nothing wrong with the Taco, but it clearly is a lesser truck than the Tundra. Drive them both on the same day and you'll see what I mean. The back seat is much better on the Taco, but the Tundra has everything else. Fuel economy will be slightly better on the Taco as well.
  • reddogreddog Posts: 3
    I would like to install 17 or 18 inch wheels.
    Does anyone know what the tire size limit on the Tunrda V8 4x4? Will this affect the MPG if I install tall wheels and tires? (+) or (-)MPG numbres? Will taller wheels and tires restrict the turning radius? Will this affect the computer?
    Cliffie - for your info - 33" from cab to rear axel center.Didn't do it fast enough and salesman said I wouldn't have any problem with a fifthwheel
    (Yeah- like a dented cab and trailer corner the first time I made a turn)told him it was 10" too short for me to safely use it.
    Alson sent email to dealer in adjacent town and in it asked for email reply - no phone calls and guess what - next morning first thing - the phone rings and--------
    anybody there have an educated guess as to when Tundra will get a longer wheel base?
  • mjhammermjhammer Posts: 7
    First of all I would go to www.tirerack.com and look around. They are very knowledgeable and if you give them a call chances are they will know maximums for clearance purposes etc.
    I looked at some info. there and the stock 265/70-16 tires are 30.7" in diameter (in Bridgestone, other brands may vary 1/10" or so) the following sizes would probably work without affecting MPG, speedo, or computer much: 265/60-18 (30.4"), 285/60-18 (31.4"), 295/45-20 (30.5"). I believe tire rack says you can go + or- 1/2" and be within acceptable tolerances. The 285's above maybe a little tall. I would think you could go up to around 33" tall tires also and still stuff them in the wheel wells, but keep in mind you will have slower acceleration, longer stopping distances and more unsprung weight which I would think would adversely affect your mpg a little and definately throw off your speedo by about 10%. I'm not sure about the computer. My personal experience is that if you are just looking for the big tire look, as in 33" or bigger, they will work. If you are looking for improved or comparable performance to stock you will need to stay about the same total diameter using a bigger rim and lower profile tire. Other than extensive off-road low range use where taller tires and more aggressive tread would actually help. The tall ones are usually very noisy on pavement, too.
  • lcaldwelllcaldwell Posts: 2
    Hello,

I need some advice on buying a new truck. All I need is a very dependable, low cost truck to drive back and forth to work. I drive 42 miles one way each day. don't want to be cramped up for space though. I want something to haul things in, and it will seat 4 people comfortably. I am considering the Toyota Taco ma. Probably V6. Are there any out there in the 4 cylinder range that have good pick up on the freeway?

Also I am considering the MC Sonomas. If you that drive pickups can give this single mother some great advice as to which way I should go, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    Want to have a beer after work? (kidding)

The problem always...is having all things at once. You are going to rack up miles fast, so I understand your need. Taco would be a good choice, except seating 4 confortably? The 4 banger will last just as long as the six and give better economy, but leave you very disappointed with acceleration, especially highway acceleration.

You'll have to compromise somewhere, because there is no perfect truck. If you could at all afford it, the six will make your commute much more secure feeling, but you'll pay at the pump, and on the sticker.

Sonoma has more room, more comfortable and a better ride, about the same fuel economy, not quite as sturdy.

Ranger is a good choice, maybe the best choice.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    ranger is the best choice...better not let the taco owner hear that....but bang for the buck, I'd go with the ranger.
  • jwhaelen1jwhaelen1 Posts: 27
    I should have stuck with buying the Dakota,I was passed on a 6% grade by one the other day! I was empty and the Dakota was pulling a 25 foot Bayliner!?! Talk about having no power......Could stand some more ponies under my hood.Probably gonna go get a Dakota next time around.One of my neighbors has one and it rides soooooo much better than any Toyota out there!! I know because he let me borrow it to help move some of my things to a storage unit.Is anyone else having any power problems out there?
  • bamatundrabamatundra Posts: 1,583
    GMC Sonoma? Were you embarassed to say Chevy S10? What a joke. If Single mom wanted to get to know her Chev service manager better - I guess it might be a good choice. GM has consistently rated "much worse than average" quality and reliability by Consumer Reports across its whole product line.

I would guess that Single mom wants a quality, solidly built vehicle - the Toyota Tacoma quad-cab would fit her perfectly.
  • lcaldwelllcaldwell Posts: 2
    So the Ford Ranger would be a better deal than the Toyota Sonoma? I just want something dependable, economical, and easy to drive. I don't want a big truck, with gas being too expensive. On a side note. Any suggestions of where I can go to get information on how to maintain a vehicle. My daughter and I tried for an hour to change a tire this past weekend. We finally gave up and had to ask for a man's assistance.. :-)
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Posts: 324
    test drive.. it's gotta be the best thing to do when shopping.. test drive all of them no matter what brand.. it's your money and your satisfaction that's important