Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Its on the way. No details on size or when, but it is coming.
  • andyr4andyr4 Posts: 3
    I read somewhere that a "Durango-sized" suv off of the Tundra platform was in the "advanced prototype stages." My guess would be that this is the new 4runner, but I read that the new 4runner would once again be off of the Tacoma platform. Who knows anything about this? Does anyone know where I can find a picture of the 2002 4runner? Thanks.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The 2002 will be unchanged, but there is a new Runner coming out this winter. I don't know if it will be a 2002.5 or a 2003. It will be larger with an optional 3rd seat and V8 engine. As of yet, those are all the details I know.
  • wmunson1wmunson1 Posts: 1
    What is the best thing to use to remove paint used for highway striping. I picked it up on the tires, mudflaps and wheelwells?
  • I am considering a 2001 Tundra with the off-road package. Is this package suitable for everyday normal street driving? Does anyone know what the differences are in the suspensions?
  • Just bought a '02 Tundra this week. Very happy with it so far. Has anyone else bought the '02 yet and have you heard of any problems?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Just a suggestion, try tundrasolutions.com for answers to your question. The owners there don't live in denial. Good luck with your truck....
  • Welcome to the club!

Which one did you get?
  • Hey Guys. I appreciate the advice. I got the Limited Edition. Leather, Security system, chrome tube steps, TRD Package, Thunder Gray Metallic. I plan to have it detailed. (Just to put my personal touch on it)
    The only two things that bothered me were that things I saw on the internet and the dealers that I talked to led me to believe that limited slip differential and ABS and daytime running lights would be standard on the LE'02's. That is why I waited. I could have had the same truck in '01. Has anyone else ran into this?
  • bamatundrabamatundra Posts: 1,583
    If you really have to have LS - you can have the dealer install a TRD LS and it will have the same 5yr, 60K warranty as the rest of the powertrain.

I wanted LS, but after owning my truck two years, have never missed it. I am glad I got the truck without the additional expense of LS. I just put it in 4WD when I feel I need additional traction. If your truck is 2WD, then LS would be an advantage.

I didn't hear that ABS and daytime running lights would become standard, so that is a surprise to me.
  • Has anyone been able to find a hitch receiver cover that has a light in it for the Tundra's? I have seen them on the Dodge, Chevy, and Fords but not for the Toy's.
  • My buddy just bought "brake lite" hitch reciever cover for his Tundra at Walmart for $12.00. Since I've had my F-150 rammed by mini-vans several times I leave the "impaler" on at all times.
  • Hey, that's a good idea but the first day I do that I would run into it with my shin. Thanks for the info. What kind of '02 Toy are you lookin' for?
  • I owned a 2000 tundra until Sept 4 2001. I was broad sided by a fully loaded Semi truck and lived to tell about it. Truck is totaled, and I fully intend to go back to the dealer and buy another. This truck is fantastic. Event though it does not look as good as the big 3 production trucks, I believe this truck will last many years and hundreds of thousands of mile without any/many problems. Ford has had brake problems, Chewy, small transmissions and Dodge major suspension, brake and axle problems.

Tundra is the way to go.
  • frey44frey44 Posts: 230
    What MPG diff. is there between the 2 and 4 wheel drive Tundras ? (assuming V8, Sr5, Auto). Any ideas ? the window sticker claims 14-17 for the 4x4, and 15-19 for the 2x4. Is this accurate ? I will use this truck mostly on the highway, with some occasional towing. I plan to buy a new 2002 with limited slip option. Should I spring the extra money and get the 4x4 ?? I live in Ohio, and deal with snow, but want to avoid the MPG penalty of more weight and friction.
    Any thoughts ??? Will the LS do well in snow ? (I have never owned a LS differential). Thanks in advance ! By the way, here in Ohio, the Limited Slip option is priced on the sticker at $ 275.00. That seems reasonable to me.
  • I've had my '02 for 2 weeks. Went on a 300 mile trip last weekend and got 17 MPG. It is a Limited Edition with TRD package. I wanted to get the Limited Slip Differential but the dealer told me they needed a 4 month lead time.
    The LS and ABS/daytime running lights were supposed to be standard on the '02 LEs (Or so I was led to believe). Other than that, Lovin' the Tundra. That thing will fly. I had an '89 'yota 4X4. Trying to get used to taking $25 to fill up versus $15.
    Has anyone heard of or using the Lubrication Engineers engine oil? It is supposed to be an extended run oil that is a blend of synthetic and parrafin bases.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    You may want to look into Mobil 1 motor oil

Good stuff
  • frey44frey44 Posts: 230
    FWIW, I put Mobil 1 in my Ranger 4.0 and gained about 1 mpg, as near as I can tell (using 5-30, as recommended by Ford). My regular highway commute at a steady 65 MPH went from 18.7 to 19.7 MPG, almost immediatley. Of course, I realize other factors are invovled. But I think the synthetics really shine on reducing friction ( i.e. INCREASING MPG) when the engine is COLD at startup and early running.) JMHO. Good luck with your Tundra. I am sure your MPG will get a lot better at a few thousand break in miles. They are indeed beautifully made trucks. I can't BLEIEVE HOW QUIET they are !! Like a Cadillac !!! Very nice to drive on the highway ! I plan to buy an 02 soon myself, if I can get somebody to buy my Ranger. It is a tough sell !!! I depreciates too fast ! Mercy !!!
  • I know I saw a post of someone having a problem with the drivers seat belt clicking. Who was it and what did you do to stop it? Mine started today.