Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    OMG. Didn't want to go there. Actually was thinking of the X5 and the ML500. BTW, how was the dealership's service department?
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Posts: 387
    The service department was not the best. My wife has been to the dealership so many times, they are pretty much on a first name basis!

They did fix most of the problems, however it took anywhere from 3-5 times per problem for them to figure it out and then fix it.

Most of the time, the service dept had to be prodded if you know what I mean. They were not very forthcoming with information and you kinda had to get tough with them to get something done. (Kinda like GM huh):)

The X5 is not a bad ride. My friend's sister has one and has not had any problems with it yet. It does ride a bit stiff, but then again its an SUV.

I can't speak for the ML500, although they do look real nice. Keep me posted on what you decide.

BTW, you've got mail.. I sent ya a couple of questions.

Jim
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    obyone, I have a ML320 and love it, no problems, etc. You may want to try and hold off till the 04 models come out many new changes I'm hearing and many are major.
    Should be no problem doing that...
  • nwdodgeguynwdodgeguy Posts: 22
    Hey, I came into the truck world as I inherited my 2001 4.7 V8 Club Cab Auto Dakota from my late father. I got the truck with 14,000 miles and have had it to the dealer twice. Once for a headlight issue, the second for bigger tranny issue that caused the truck to stall. I have over 20,000 miles on it now, and I am convinced that my lifestyle supports owning a truck and really like the Dodge in every aspect other than reliability. It really sucks, cause Dodge did everything right with this truck other than make it reliable, which is STUPID.
    I'd like feedback on Tundra reliability from owners....do you guys feel confident on a good 100,000 miles with minor detail problems?
    I have to say that before I got this truck, I drove a 1989 Camry for 6 years and had 278,000 miles on it with NO....and I mean NO....need for ANY work whatsoever. But I would like honest opinions if I'm gonna trade my Dakota in before the warranty runs out....
    Thanks all!!!!
  • weasleweasle Posts: 24
    I owned a Dakota previous to my Tundra. I was at the dealer 6 times in 15,000 miles. Only been twice in 46,000 with the Tundra. First time was because it was delivered with bad alignment. Second time to replace the oxygen sensors. The quality is alot better. Too bad, I would like to see some competition for the Dakota. I here the new Chevy Colorado may grow to that size, but I'm not too sure about reliability there either. I know my next truck will be a crew cab. I would love to see a larger Tacoma with a diesel.
    For additional feedback on the Tundra, headover to www.Tundrasolutions.com Lots of owners there to give you their insight on the truck.
  • twowheelertwowheeler Posts: 89
    the TS site is an excellent place for Tundra info (Sequoia's too). I've only got about 1,400 miles on my '02 SR5 Access Cab 2WD V8, only prob I have had was a minor vibration coming thru the driver's side floor pan at 2,500 rpm. I did some poking around under the truck and figured it was the heat shield resonating. I was able to change the resonant frequency and lessen the vibration of the shield by bending it around a little. A couple of more tweeks and the vibe should be gone, hopefully.

Some of the probs I have read regarding the Tundra reliability are O2 sensors as weasle mentions, cold engine knock, driveline thump when stopping (axle wrap?), chipping paint, vibration, and minor squeeks and rattles. I haven't gathered that these are widespread problems but more than a couple of folks at the TS site have the cold engine knock, driveline thump, and chipping paint probs. I'm crossing my fingers that my truck will be as good as your Camry. BTW, did you ever change the timing belt on it (or was the cam chain-driven on that model year)? Oh, forgot to mention another prob - can't put a snowplow on the front end apparently, that is, if you wanted to.
    There is the issue of the brakes...most common problem.
  • gregfockergregfocker Posts: 39
    Does anyone have a Lund Interceptor hood deflector/bug guard installed on their Tundra?
  • 68nascar68nascar Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 limited 4WD with all options including ABS and 21000 miles. I have had front and rear brakes replaced completely 4 times and the transfer case replaced once. Has anyone else experienced these kind of problems?? I have a friend in town that has had the same problem with his brakes.
    Yeah, brake issues seem to be the most likely defect in the tundra. Go to www.tundrasolutions.com for reading on others brake woes and potential solutions.
  • vibrationvibration Posts: 10
    Anyone have any hints on removing the tailgate?
    My 2000 2WD Extended Cab, V8, has 20,000 miles just took it in "check engine" light came on, turned out to be bad oxygen sensor. Also, have vibration, pulsing while braking, dealer says rotors need to be smoothed. Will pick up truck today, see how they did. Otherwise no other problems (bought the truck new).
  • Anyone out there think the TRD suspension is too firm. I am used to a Tacoma Prerunner and am thinking of trading up to a Tundra but am curious about the TRD ride. Any thought you might share.
  • capt2capt2 Posts: 57
    Since I put my money on it. My 2000 SR5 Access Cab 4WD lease was ending and I purchased it. Was really a no brainer, 39,000 miles and all I've ever done is scheduled maint. Few scratches, but nothing that would justify 10k for an 03'. Paid 17k and trade-in was listed at 19K.
  • pmjdepmjde Posts: 4
    I picked up my new Tundra at the end of July now 2000 mules later. This is one great truck , I came out of a 96 GMC and there is no comparison.
    Rides great , plenty of power, 16.8 mpg so far around town. Good radio comfortable seats (bench)
    I got a LINE-X spray in liner and it looks great.
    Very Happy....
  • Get the TRD, the truck rides excellent and the factory TRD shocks make it corner better and ride better over all sharp bumps. Not so on big rolling bumps though, like speed bumps. The shocks are soft in normal situations and firm up when inertia causes the valve inside the shock to close against a spring, that's how Bilstein's work. This is the secret behind many expensive European sporty sedans ride and handling. Get the TRD. Also the shocks will outlast any other.
  • I installed one on my Tundra new and 2 years and 29000 miles it is still perfect and looks good too. The wind noise on the windshield has increased at speeds above about 65 though. The glue on the Lund is more or less permanent, so make absolutely sure you have it perfectly aligned before you allow it to touch the hood, follow directions and double check where you want it. Once you put it down, there it stays.
  • I just purchased a V8 Tundra and have installed the exhaust system. Has anyone gone for the Supercharger?

How do you like it and what kind of mileage did this coversion get.

Thanks
  • I'm now at 2.5 years and 25K miles. No significant issues or problems to report. Haven't had a chance (or a need) to take it out and beat it in while.

Jeff
  • ricschricsch Posts: 540
    A friend of mine just purchased a new '02 Tundra. Other than the factory receiver hitch, what aftermarket hitches are available that fit good-tuck up under the truck as well as the factory hitch or is going with the factory hitch a better way to go. Does anyone offer a plug-in trailer wire kit other than Toyota, since theirs only comes with their hitch?
    Thanks
  • ricsch - the day I took delivery of my Tundra I drove it to "trailer world" and had them put a Reese receiver on it. I don't know of any receivers that aren't "tuck under" as you describe. I had the other piece (the slide in thing with the ball) from my previous truck. I have had zero complaints.

The same place offered a plug in wiring harness setup like you described, but it was a lot more expensive, I recall - something like 80 bucks or so installed versus the 25 or so for the one they put on. I'm vague on the actual prices, but I remember the plug in harness was significantly more. You'll save a lot of money over the "factory" hitch from Toyota. Shop the web and compare.

Jeff
  • I bought my hitch and plug in harness at U-Haul. The harness was about $50.
  • cwo4cwo4 Posts: 90
    I need your advice. I've owned GMC, Chevy and Fords trucks over the years but never a Toyota, even though I've owned numerous Toyota cars. I'm now in the market for a new truck and I ran into this deal a 2002 Tundra, basic 6 cyl with auto, air, bedliner, AM/FM only, tilt steering and frame mounted trailer hitch. It only has 3300 miles and the negotiated price is $14,500. This seems to good to be true. Is it?
  • It sounds good to me. I would get the fog lights, too. Remember, the autos from 02 get the transmission oil cooler standard. The radio can be switched out easily for any double din design.
  • xyz71xyz71 Posts: 179
    Go to a Dealer and have them price out a new truck with the same options - that way you will know for sure how good of a deal it is.

IMO when a truck with only 3,000 miles is up for sale it is because of some problem. Could be a financial problem - owner can't make payments, or a mechanical problem. Of course maybe the owner just changed his mind!

I would expect to pay at least $2,000 less than the price of a new truck. Because you are buying a used vehicle.

A quick look in the paper (Houston Chronicle)

Joe Myers Toyota (888) 548-6746 -
    New 2002 Tundra A/C AM/FM Digital clock Tilt $14,990

Mike Calvert Toyota (713) 558-8100 New 2002 Tundra A/C tilt floor mats clock $14,950

Looks like both of these have the manual tranny

Based on this I would say your deal is not that good.
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    I'm looking for a used Tundra. Does anybody know if there is printed anywhere on the truck (sticker in glove box, door, etc.) which options per their codes were installed on that particular truck?

Thanks in advance.
    I noticed that 03 brings a new option - towing pkg. IMO, the most important part of this is the external tranny cooler. Is it that 00-02 Tundra V8's don't have a tranny cooler, or was it just standard and is now optional.

Thanks for any comments.
  • The tranny cooler was standard in the auto Tundras for 00-02.
    Good news. It strikes me that the rest of the towing gear is customized to the towing application anyway, so I'd install as needed, though the heavy duty alternator in the 03 tow pkg would be nice.