Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• I have the 04 Tundra Access cab, I love it, pretty good on gas, the new engine has more power and a 5spd auto. I'm not sure if the Ford bed is available longer than 5.5 feet, you might keep that in mind. Its a personal choice, you might find the seats in the Ford or GM more comfortable, depending on what you are used to.

Another tip, get the dealer to throw in running boards, anybody under 6 feet or so will have to hop into the cab. My mother is 5'2" and I had to give her an up turned bucket to stand on, or should wouldn't have made it inside. Kids have difficulty too, especially in winter, because of snow getting on their knees.
  • shhendrishhendri Posts: 7
    Hey guys, just got a 4dr 4whl sr5 tundra, and I love it, could have asked for anything more in a pick up (I would have liked to get the sunroof though). Besides the dealer accessories, has anyone found any good looking accessories to add to the tundra? i.e. nerf bars, grill guards, tail light protectors.
  • Here are a few sites for you:
    www.westinautomotive.com
    www.brandsport.com
    www.gorhino.com
    www.truckexpressions.com
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    I'm looking at trading in my '99 Exploder on a '00 Tundra SR5 4x2 access cab with 57k miles on it. My Ford is a 4x4, but I haven't had much luck with it. It's let me down several times in wet grass, so I don't think a 4x2 would be much worse. Also the gas mileage on the Ford is the same as the 4x2 V8 Tundra, 15/18.

My question is, what problems have been known for these trucks? I've seen transmission and brake issues named. Anything else? I noticed some rust on the one I'm looking at, is that common thing as well? Inside the front bumper on either side of the license plate bracket there is rust. I also noticed some rust stains (or else red mud stains) on the carpet inside the truck. The dealer says it's a Toyota Certified used truck, but it looks to me a lot like a flood victim.

I was very impressed with the ride and drive of the truck. The price they want is $15,990. Carfax showed 2 previous owners, but was clean. Any advice? Thanks,
    idntnvu
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    $15,900 for a used 2000 Tundra? You better run FAST! You can get a brand new 2005 Tundra access cab for $20,500 on sale.
  • victor3victor3 Posts: 15
    I am not happy with the "suicide" doors on my 2005 Tundra v-6, automatic, RWD, Access model. I would prefer the full double cab. What would a fair trade-in amount be? Original MSRP 25,900 and sale price was 24,249. How do they calculate the trade-in on such a new vehicle? I took the 0% interest rather than the rebates. I am trying to find out a fair trade-in and what my negative equity will be.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Victor, you could be looking at a stiff hit unless your dealer is willing o work with you on the trade. Best advice is to head over to Real World Trade-In Values, type in all the requested information (in red in the posting box), and see what the pros say.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Thanks, I will try Real World Trade-In Values.

Victor
  • si88si88 Posts: 39
    I am now considering both the 4x2 Titan Crew Cab and Tundra Double Cab with all options, NAV, DVD, etc. Don't need to haul more than a small boat with family bikes and camping equip, etc...

What are some of the major differences that made you buy your truck?

I know Titan as more power but Tundra has a more refined smooth ride. I like the Titan's color choices better. With both equiped similarly it seems the Tundra is less expensive. What to do? :confuse:
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    Then GET IT. The Titanic is now in it's second year, and they have had poor reliability. The Tundras are bulletproof, almost. I looked at the Titans myself. They are sweet looking trucks, but with as many problems as I've read about them having, I'd get a Tundra. After a few years I think the Titanic will get all it's bugs worked out and won't be such a sinker. I drove a '00 4x2 Tundra last week and loved it. It had plenty of power, and just the right amount of space (access cab). I do believe the double cab would have plenty of space. In the end it's your decision, but if reliability is a big factor, then you can't go wrong with Toyota.
  • shineshine Posts: 20
    I currently drive a 2004 Ram 2500 4x4 Gas mileage with hemi is zip 11mpg. First what to expect from the Tundra in mpg. Second can a plow be put on this. I do'nt mean a small one for your driveway. I use one at my business it's not huge but I need a decent plow. Is there a smaller engine on the Tundra that might improve mpg. If I could get 15 or 16 mpg with 50/50 highway-city my 35000 miles per year might not seem as bad. Any help would be appreciated.
    Tundra makes a V6. For your line of business (commercial), I would recommend getting the V8. The V8 is 16/18 mpg.
  • phsk100phsk100 Posts: 1
    i also have the exact same problem with my 02 tundra beetween 30 and 40 mph. i have had it at the dealeer 3 times for the problem and they say they cant here anything.it is intermittant on my truck but it makes the noise when cold or if the truck has been sitting for a while. did you get yours fixed? and if so what did they do? it sounds like a wheel bearing noise to me. does anyone else know anything about this grinding noise.
  • Anyone know anything good about the 2006 Tundra????
    I am driving 2005 double cab Tundra. This is not a major problem, just a very annoying one. Even when sitting still idling, as well as when moving, there is a mild continuous vibration inside the cab. It is most noticeable in the steering wheel and the floor. Is this normal like the toyota technician said or is it a problem with a solution. Please help. I love the truck but can't stand the vibration.
    Thanks so much.
  • im thinking about getting a 05 double cab limited tundra too and can you give me any more info about what the vibration sounds and feels like? any one else with that same problem? can it be fixed?
    victor, I have the same truck, I only feel a slight vibration right after start up on a cold day before the engine gets warm. Where dose it feel or sound like it's coming from?
    Does anyone know where to get a free wiring diagram?
  • tiger10tiger10 Posts: 46
    i have read all the truck discussions and they dont even seem to CARE about a Tundra, between the F-150, Ram 1500,Silverado, Sierra, Titan etc. i think Tundra is the best truck out there other than Ram 1500s and Sierras.
  • idahoronidahoron Posts: 18
    I would like to see a more more basic DC truck. I like my 05 DC but I would liked some things they diden't offer. I would like to see a standard transmission,. I would have liked a manual shifting transfer case. I would like to have had manual lock out hubs.I would liked to have had metal bumpers and more dent resestant body.
    I think that Toyota is a great company but they are starting to loose sight at what made them a great company. The company was built on models that were a little more plain. A little more affordable, and a little better gas milage, and tough as hell.
    My 88 xtra cab is a real 4X4. when you shift into 4X4 you know it is going to go in. With the new ones you rely on electronics. Everything is electronic right down to the odometer. I am almost reluctant to take it into some places I take my 88. I am worried about lots of off roading and lots of mud taking out the electronics.
    Will toyota get back to it's roots? Ron
  • ace654ace654 Posts: 8
    Hi. I think i know whats your problem check the belt if its lose fix it.
  • dssnuffydssnuffy Posts: 39
    How do you know? It sounds like you have had the same problem. do you have a 2002?
  • si88si88 Posts: 39
    dmorel,

What was the charge for your running boards from Toyota?

Thanks!
    Read my post over on the accessory board. Just bought an
    05 Tundra DC custom color keyed running board for $475. It looks awesome! It looks much better than the factory style running board on the Limited edition.

Now, I need to come up with some dough for a moonroof....Summer is almost here!!
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    The 06 Tundra would be bigger, more powerful than the current version. Toyota is building a plant near San Antonio, Texas ( I think ) just for the next generation Tundra and Sequoia. Also there most likely will be a heavy duty version with diesel engine available to compete with Ford 250, Silverado 2500 and the Dodge Ram 2500. Looks like Toyota is finally serious about competing in the full size and heavy duty truck market.
  • frieberg44frieberg44 Posts: 33
    THere seems to be a lot of argument here (the old, tired " one vs. the other") on the Toyota versus the Chevy. Here is what I have found out recently by driving them both: they are BOTH wonderful trucks, with two different personalities, and aimed at different segments of truckdom. What amazes me about the Chevy is the good ol' 350 ci block, and the 4 speed hydramatic tranny: still WONDERFUL for a truck (its intended vehicle) after all these years. Pushrods or no, that GM engine is still a great motor. WHere the Tundra shines: highway ride (hands down). The Chevy shivers, bumps, bounces and shudders on highway seems; the Toyota is largely insulated. If you're one who doesn't haul much, but uses a truck like a car, buy the Tundra. The Ford (I drove the F-150 XLT with the 5.4 motor) seemed simply too heavy and "fat"; it feels underpowered to me. The Ford has to be the heaviest truck out there for its size. But wow...what a GREAT interior. The gas mileage on ALL of these trucks is absolutely terrible. So, expect 11-13 in town, and 15-16 on the highway (with a 4x4). I saw a review in truck trend where the average was about 14 for their half ton fleet review...ouch.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Chevy/GMC hasn't used the 350 block in years. The current 4.8/5.3/6.0 small block V8s are based on the last-generation Corvette engine, not the old 350 block.

Having driven a Silverado 1500 with the 4.8, I will say it's almost too smooth/quiet for a truck engine :)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • vinhdeezelvinhdeezel Posts: 2
    Yo if you like smooth trucks then take the new tundra out for a ride the tranny is awesome. wow off the old corvettes sounds fast. but back to chevy vs tundra
    Ok so this guy wants to race me with his 05 4.8L silverado ls and I told him i got a lil 05 4.0L tundra. Both automatic tran and both stock or he said his was anyways mines bearly over 2,300 miles. So i was like nah you'll kick my butt. but he kept on goin. i just wanna know any info i can get before takin him on the road. im sure he will beat me but i saw the specs it aint that "far off"* for a v8 vs v6.

SILVERADO Tundra
    4.8L 4.0-liter
    285 5200 rpm 245 hp 5200 rpm
    295 4000 rpm 282 lb.-ft. 3800 rpm
    6,200 lbs 5,500 lbs

Im a new truck owner so the numbers didnt seem that much off sept the 40 plus horse power. but the tundra is lighter by 700 lbs. anyone care to comment.
    will i give him a lil run or just get smashed? oh yeah i dun wanna lose to bad so if thers a cheap way to get some edge i appreciat it.

* im lighter by 700 lbs
  • muskles33muskles33 Posts: 7
    Yes, I'm aware of all that "old news." I'm looking for something new and not just speculation. I'd especially like to know what the 2006 Tundra is going to look like inside. The dash and instrument panel is very outdated now and just plain boring!!!

Let's get the horses over 3 and jazz up the inside!!

Anyone w/ new info. on the 2006 Tundra, let me know!! Not just speculation, please.
  • idahoronidahoron Posts: 18
    In a 1/4 mile drag race,which do you think would getrdone? Ron