Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• That boy's been eatin' his Wheaties, gettin' up early, workin' after school! If testosterone can have polite manners, that's Ryan.

But Oby...well...be careful. He's rich, educated, good looking, lives on an island in the Pacific. A definite heart breaker, that one.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    "Ryan's a little kid"

:(

not what my gf says.
  • f1julesf1jules Posts: 288
    You're better off without that loser. Any man who would treat a woman like that is dirt. I give his marriage 1 year.

And yes, I have driven the Tundra. I drive one every day.

BTW-I think these Chevy guys are just after you for your truck. Hehehe.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    f1jules said,"BTW-I think these Chevy guys are just after you for your truck. Hehehe. "

Puhlease....give us a break....

We are not that shallow...course if you're talking M5....
    Oh, I see, you're just trolling for women here. I got it now. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • I know you're all Tundra owners but here is a question for you...I'm looking for a tow vehicle for a 16' open aluminum fishing boat. Boat, motor, trailer topping out at appx 1,200 lbs. Would like to do it with my 89 accord but seems just a tad under-sized. So, tacoma or tundra? I don't want to small and confined, yet don't need too big and heavy....Also would like to stay with a V-6 for mpg...but dont want an under-sized engine working too hard on wknds and thereby cutting down the mgp anyway. input?
  • bugwizrbugwizr Posts: 50
    Everybody is rich, educated, and good looking on the internet.

Didn't mean to put you down, Ryan. Just horsing around. It's easy with strangers.

My truck is really driving well. I kind of hydroplaned on the freeway. The big tires felt much better in the correction.

Eric, drive the Tundra. You will be surprised at the difference in feel. I was so close to getting the F150. To me, the Tundra felt more well mannered and solid.

I have to say, though. I have seen some gorgeous Chevys and some rough looking Rams. I just was worried about the reliability. The Ram gets really poor marks. And the Chevy was really expensive.

At our local Chevy dealer, they have a lot of trucks that are already lowered, or highly suspended. Teak wood strips in the bed, fancy wheels, and extremely high priced. Some are bright yellow! I think buying a truck that's already modified musn't be as much fun.
    Tundra, hands down. I think the Tacoma is the best looking. I love that truck. However, you can always pretend a truck is small. You can never pretend that a truck is big.

Get the V-8 Tundra and see how quickly you will grow into it.
  • fischdafischda Posts: 272
    Before my hour-long test drive in the Tundra last week, I repeatedly slammed the door of A Tacoma on the showroom floor (was probably really irritating the sales staff). There was this tinny noise like a spring vibrating everytime I closed the door.

Outside, I did the same to the Tundra, and no such noise, just a satisfying clunk. I'm big on that "solid" feel! I had just driven an F-150 and liked Tundra so much better!
    See, I knew once BUG's story came out the rest of you would start filling those drool buckets.

Looks like Eric and young Master Ryan are Tundra drivers 1 and 2 - whose number three? Let's get this game show going and see who gets to say, "My Tundra or yours, Marie?!"
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    "Looks like Eric and young Master Ryan are Tundra drivers 1 and 2 "

Sorry to disappoint you buddy but i have a great gf.
    I am still at home with the flu. I have been off work since the day after Christmas-complete with a doctor's note.

Still raining.

Thanks for the kind words. Now what do we talk about? PF Flyer will throw us off if we continue with this "Casablanca" knockoff.

All I know right now is my truck is very dirty and I am supposed to get the bedrug installed today. It will make my truck look complete. I also found some kind of cargo thing on one of the websites. Like a pet gate for the bed. Only this one is to hold groceries, etc. Looks like it would work better than those shower curtain rods that go across the back. They are worthless.

I haven't tried those pieces of wood that apparently fit perfectly. 6X2's or something like that from the lumber yard. Too ugly.

This is good. My truck is kind of like my house. I want it to be just right. With a bedrug, I can run away if I want to and sleep in the back. You can probably pull over in some parking lot and nobody would ever know you were there sleeping. A Gypsy life for me.
    Sorry you're sick - gives you a chance to surf the net for truck accessories, I guess.

Here's a topic for all: truck caps, hard/soft tonnau (sp?) covers, tool boxes, or nothing? What do you have and what brands?

On my last truck, I had a Glasstite cap that was very good, but a pain to take off and put on if I had to haul something big. I basically got it for the dogs to travel in the winter - and to lock stuff in the bed.

Do most buy Toyota truck accessories or go aftermarket?
  • eric2001eric2001 Posts: 482
    Sorry, can't talk about being the tundra driver yet, we haven't discussed $$$.

Bug: I am not interested in the Tundra in its current form. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the truck, I just wanted a full size crew, which they don't currently make.
    -Eric
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Posts: 126
    Before I bought my Silverado I was looking at the Tundras. The miss really wanted one!. had certain squabbles that might interest other people. First what bothered me was the interior space. I had none compared to the Silverdo. Second, the price. Why would I pay 28K for a base 2wd v8 Tundra when I can get a LT Z71 for that much?? Third safety. This was the clincher after I put a '01 Tundra 4x4 on hold(Sticker was 30K got it down to 24K demo truck) On my way home I actually saw a Tundra and a Silverado get in an accident. The Silverado T-Boned the Tundra. The Silverado was not an EXT cab, the Tundra was! The Toyota was totaled while the Silverado had front end damage. Keep in mind this was a 30-35 mph T-bone crash. No offense to [non-permissible content removed] cars my Miata was great before I sold it(100K with no probs) but the truck in my opinion is a waste!. I mean it's funny all u Tundra owners think u can beat A silverado off the line. Look at the HP ratings! And yes I do have the 4.8. Toyota makes a fine luxury car(Camry, Lexus line) but the pickups need work. Plus I would never buy a Toyota for the fact that half the dealers ignore you when you walk into the dealership. nd half don't even have a Tundra in stock!(I mean what's a dealer in here in Anchorage doingwith a 2wd!) Plus I hear they take you in F&I for everything. I guess that's why haf the country is driving them same as Honda high payments=Car. My 2 cents.
    While it's true that Silverado offers more space and more features for the money, I'd personally pay a bit more initially for Toyota quality. I don't know about the two trucks, but I have enough experience with GM and Toyota to tell which would be more reliable over time. Do all the research you want, Toyota will beat GM in initial quality and long-term reliability hands down.

I drove a 1500 LT a while ago and was generally pleased. While more powerful, it lacked the smoothness of the Toyota engine, and torque was more noticable in the Tundra. I also give Tundra the egde in interior parts quality and ergos. I'll have to drive them back-to-back again soon.

As for the interior volume question, as many have pointed out, the Tundra's size makes it more drivable in everyday situation. For most of us that means an urban setting.
    I will agree with you on Toyota's long term engine quality. If I was buying a car my money would indeed go to Japan!. My primary concern was the safety issue. Had the Toyota been the price of my Silverado I would have bought it. I will admit that the Chevy engines do lack he quietness and smoothness of Japanese engines bu you bought a truck, Not a Lexus. I am not saying in any way that the Tundra is a bad truck, it may be my Toyota experience was not good (Getting ignored). Look at a Tundra and a Silverado from the front sometime. Big diffrence in width. But If I wanted a Lexus I would have bought one. Trucks need that certain sound. I guess it's the same as a Vette you just have to hav that sound.
    Uh, the base Tundra is not 28k. Don't know what dealer you were shopping but it isn't even close to that.

Actually, comparing similarly equiped F-150s and Tundras the Tundra was actually cheaper. So much for the "imports are more expensive theory."
    "I will admit that the Chevy engines do lack he quietness and smoothness of Japanese engines but you bought a truck, Not a Lexus."

Yes, but if you can get Lexus smooth driving in a truck (and you can with the Tundra) then why would you choose the less refined Chevy?
    And Dave,

Nothing bad intended but I did have 3 VR6 GTI's and a Jetta GLX. GTI's were 96,97, and 98 models while the GLX wad a '99. they were all warrenties lemon law for the electrical system failure. VW's suck(New ones for that matter) I'll keep my '87 16V for rainy days. Other then that find Me a Corrado SLC VR6 anyday! My advise get rid of that thing. Check out http://www.myvwlemon.com and http://www.vwvortex.com

Info that can help you.