Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Owner Experiences

Comments

• ricschricsch Posts: 540
    A friend of mine just purchased a new '02 Tundra. Other than the factory receiver hitch, what aftermarket hitches are available that fit good-tuck up under the truck as well as the factory hitch or is going with the factory hitch a better way to go. Does anyone offer a plug-in trailer wire kit other than Toyota, since theirs only comes with their hitch?
    Thanks
  • ricsch - the day I took delivery of my Tundra I drove it to "trailer world" and had them put a Reese receiver on it. I don't know of any receivers that aren't "tuck under" as you describe. I had the other piece (the slide in thing with the ball) from my previous truck. I have had zero complaints.

The same place offered a plug in wiring harness setup like you described, but it was a lot more expensive, I recall - something like 80 bucks or so installed versus the 25 or so for the one they put on. I'm vague on the actual prices, but I remember the plug in harness was significantly more. You'll save a lot of money over the "factory" hitch from Toyota. Shop the web and compare.

Jeff
  • I bought my hitch and plug in harness at U-Haul. The harness was about $50.
  • cwo4cwo4 Posts: 90
    I need your advice. I've owned GMC, Chevy and Fords trucks over the years but never a Toyota, even though I've owned numerous Toyota cars. I'm now in the market for a new truck and I ran into this deal a 2002 Tundra, basic 6 cyl with auto, air, bedliner, AM/FM only, tilt steering and frame mounted trailer hitch. It only has 3300 miles and the negotiated price is $14,500. This seems to good to be true. Is it?
  • It sounds good to me. I would get the fog lights, too. Remember, the autos from 02 get the transmission oil cooler standard. The radio can be switched out easily for any double din design.
  • xyz71xyz71 Posts: 179
    Go to a Dealer and have them price out a new truck with the same options - that way you will know for sure how good of a deal it is.

IMO when a truck with only 3,000 miles is up for sale it is because of some problem. Could be a financial problem - owner can't make payments, or a mechanical problem. Of course maybe the owner just changed his mind!

I would expect to pay at least $2,000 less than the price of a new truck. Because you are buying a used vehicle.

A quick look in the paper (Houston Chronicle)

Joe Myers Toyota (888) 548-6746 -
    New 2002 Tundra A/C AM/FM Digital clock Tilt $14,990

Mike Calvert Toyota (713) 558-8100 New 2002 Tundra A/C tilt floor mats clock $14,950

Looks like both of these have the manual tranny

Based on this I would say your deal is not that good.
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    I'm looking for a used Tundra. Does anybody know if there is printed anywhere on the truck (sticker in glove box, door, etc.) which options per their codes were installed on that particular truck?

Thanks in advance.
    I noticed that 03 brings a new option - towing pkg. IMO, the most important part of this is the external tranny cooler. Is it that 00-02 Tundra V8's don't have a tranny cooler, or was it just standard and is now optional.

Thanks for any comments.
  • The tranny cooler was standard in the auto Tundras for 00-02.
    Good news. It strikes me that the rest of the towing gear is customized to the towing application anyway, so I'd install as needed, though the heavy duty alternator in the 03 tow pkg would be nice.
  • 759397759397 Posts: 79
    You'll see the tranny cooler I believe up by the radiator.....then again I could be wrong. I haven't looked in a while.

26k miles on ours, although we have only put on 3k since we bought our 2001 used with V8 etc. No problems whatsoever. The ride is far superior to the Tacoma we had......loved the Taco for 4 years and 80k miles though.
  • Purhased my 02 2WD Limited new in April and have 9000 miles. Have TRD Pachage and all factory options available. Had to replace radio due to stations drifting off preset. Absolutely superb ride, comfort, and appearance. No other problems to date. Drove all other make trucks before purchasing Tundra, nothing else came close. Could not give a higher recommendation for a personal pickup.
  • I bought my 02 Tundra limited in 6/2002. Love the truck, can't say enough about the way it drives. I do wish I could get the center console that the 03 limited has. Does anybody know if you can purchase these as aftermarket? Will they fit. Also the power rear window would be nice too.
  • They offer more room, better styling (in my opinion), and the Ram drives close to a car.
  • ricschricsch Posts: 540
    A friend has a '02 Tundra Access Cab TRD 4x4 and has been experiencing a vibration that is felt through the floor, not at all in the steering at speeds of 33-39mph, below or above that speed it is not present, nor is it present when in 4 wheel mode. It is only noticable on a smooth road too. He has driven other Tundras and they are smooth, any advice-dealer contacted Toyota and they are aware of this condition, stating that it is normal. Sounds like a way out of helping a customer to me.
  • brucec35brucec35 Posts: 246
    Avalanche has better styling? LOL..that's funny. I guess for those who like vinyl siding...

The Ram is stylish, but unless you get the 20" wheels/tires and sport body colored grill, I think the proportions are a bit off. I found the Ram to drive "big" compared to the Tundra, which turned me off somewhat, especially with the slightly underpowered engines offered on light duties. It wasn't bad, but I certainly didn't feel it rode and handled as well as my Tundra, despite having good numbers on the test track. But I admit I only took a couple of test drives in town.

Actually, I have a black '02 Silverado Z71 reg cab sportside AND a green/silver '00 Tundra SR5 V8 2wd and like both, so I feel fairly objective about these trucks. But in terms of controlability in panic situations, road feel, and confidence, I prefer the Tundra. The Silverado rides smooth and has great low rpm torque, and looks better. I also like that the Tundra steers and brakes with less effort, an advantage when you have to act fast or are tired.

My experience with the Tundra has been good, but not outstanding. In 40,000 miles of heavy use (towing a trailer much of the time) I've had two Oxygen sensors go bad. While it could still be driven, I had to wait quite a while the first time on parts to arrive. Also the paint quality was disappointing, chipping very easily. The serpentine belt squeaks when wet outside and they "conditioned it" but refused to replace 3 times. It's squeaking again out of warranty so I will just replace it. But as far as the transmission goes, this is the best one I've had and I've owned all major makes. No problems with heavy duty towing use. Brakes did require resurfacing and rotor turning at only about 22K mi, and are ready for it again at 40K, but again, I use them hard. No big deal, $175. Toyota also cheaps out and doesnt' use platinum plugs, so you have to change them at 30K. Did it myself, so not a big expense. Resale is phenomonal. Drove it out for $25,000 in '99. Seeing advertised prices from $18,500-$20,000 on autotrader for comparably equipped/mileage models. Great cupholder setup with buckets.

Things I would change on the Tundra in the future:

1. Make it full size for better rear seat room and bed depth/size.
    2. Better door detents so they stay open.
    3. Improve paint quality.
    4. Fix styling, which seems to be getting worse rather than better IMHO. What is with that step bed?
    5. Fix problem of bed sagging with heavy load. Rated for 1850 lbs but sags with just 1,000.
  • brucec35brucec35 Posts: 246
    I second the thumbs up on the TRD/Bilsten shocks. I saved some money by buying the identical non-TRD shocks online and installing them myself. They're just blue/yellow instead of blue/red, I think. I used the 4x4 version on my 2wd and it handles better and doesn't bottom out anymore. Much firmer but not harsh. I felt the stock ride was too squishy. They give you just a slight jitter over rough areas, and it's not sedan smooth, but I prefer that to a smooth but flabby ride. I recommend them highly.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Nice comparison. I own an 00 Silverado (ext cab Z71)

I have the squaeky belt when it is wet outside or damp. Have you noticed it on your silverado. Dont think its a big deal (i have 32K and will be changing this spring). Also i think all the manufacturers are skimping on their paint jobs. Less paint = less money = more profit. Also notice how the sheetmetal each yr gets thinner?
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    A great improvement to my truck was adding some bilstein HD shocks. Might wanna try that on your stepside it will definitly help
  • I currently own a '99 GMC Sierra base model truck. To date I haven't had to many problems with this truck and am in the market for a new truck.

I have done some research on new Tundra's and wanted some real world experience with this truck. Anyone out there own a 2003 Tundra 4x4 Limited with TRD? How has this truck been so far? What are others paying out there for this truck? I'm also looking for some good pics of the 2003 Tundra...Know where to find any?

Any input would be much appreciated.