Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C230 Problems and Repairs

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 48,339
    edited January 2013
    If you mean that it snaps your neck between upshifts, that's not a real good sign. If you're looking for a trouble-free used car, generally speaking (and I've been proven wrong sometimes), a high mileage German car out of warranty with transmission issues is not the best odds.

By all means, have the car checked out prior to purchase.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• nwtnwt Posts: 10
    Bought a C250 yesterday. Got it home and it is making loud rattling/sputtering noise when idling in gear. It is now in the garage for them to inspect. It had 13 miles on it at the dealership. I'm feeling like I got the reject that other people test drove and rejected because it was rattling. It doesn't make the rattling every time - maybe half the time. I plan to keep this car for 8 years or more. I do not want on-going rattling and headaches. Should I insist upon a new one? The salesman said if I really want a new one they will probably do it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 48,339
    Not for a rattle---sure, they'll trade you into a new one, but you won't like the price difference.

Give 'em a chance. Discouraging I know, but maybe it's some nit-picky little thing.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I would stay away from this Car. I have owned one from 16 to 88 thousand miles and this is the list of problems:
    *Windshield wiper mechanism failed 3x last resulted in sudden loss of vision and serious accident, write off.
    ** transmission replaced 2x (one in warranty) second $3,000.00 bill.
    ***Engine harness $1,000.00
    ****Air mass sensor $800.00
    *****Computer (used one ) $900.00 engine stalling during normal driving city and freeway.
    ******Instrument cluster, in warranty. Failed again when out of warranty.

Like most owners, I did not get anywhere with Benz service, even so I brought up the problem to service manager while the car was still in warranty. Lovely car, cheap to buy compared to cost of ownership.
  • Hey I'm interested in this MBA lawsuit! Please tell me how to join? I hate I'm seeing this so late but we can get more done together. Anybody can reply with help I will appreciate it. It's currently Nov 1013 & I just bought a 2007 in Dec of 2012 with 56k on it. I drove the car for 2 months before all of a sudden the transmission started skipping. I went to the dealer who promised it was a small job to find out it was the transmission speed sensor & that the part alone was close to 1800 dollars!! I've only had this car 9 months with now 68 thousand miles & have gotten the oil changed twice & the car isn't even drivable ! I got in it one day & it wouldn't change out of first gear, & the engine light came on & I hsvent drove it sense! This is non acceptable I'm a female with a Mercedes with transmission issues at less than 100k miles. I'll never buy a Mercedes again & I'm surely trying to sue cause I'm still making payments !!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,976
    Hi - we don't permit using the forums to organize legal action, and we don't permit email addresses/phone numbers to be posted either.

Please be sure to report the problem to the NHTSA at
    If they get enough complaints, they have the authority to investigate and recommend a recall if they think it's warranted.

Need help navigating? - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews