Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Rodeo Transmission Questions

Comments

• art718art718 Posts: 2
    On a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo 6 cylinder-Automatic

Is the Range Sensor the same as a Nuetral Safety switch? And were is it located?
    also
    Were is the Transmision Mode Switch located?
    Thank You!
  • bahmedbahmed Posts: 66
    Yes, Range Sensor the same as a Nuetral Safety switch, it is located on the driver side of the transmission in Auto Transmission. If you get under the truck from the driver side, you will see it installed, there is a removable heat shield on this switch, if you want to see the picture, check out auto zone or oriellyauto website and search for Neutral safety switch. To confirm if this switch is on the saying and need replacement, move you gear selector on all settings P,R,N,D,3,2,1 if the lights dance and/or show incorrect light on the dash and if you are experiencing hard shifting or if the gear selector is on D and the dash light show R or D3,.usually this switch last 60k miles or so, both auto zone and orielllyauto sells them foe around $100. Please note how to install it back, note the dust marks with a permanent marker before removing the existing one, there is a drill bit notch to align as well, but the drill bit needs to be perpendicular to the driveshaft and not parallel tote driveshaft. If you install incorrectly, then it will shift rough.take a closer look at the circular fitting which slides over the shaft and it will make more sense, if you need more details with pictures just google it. Hope this helps.
  • I have a 1998 Rodeo that will not go when you put it in Drive with out it being in Winter Drive. What is going on with this thing? It also shifts hard at 2k rpm but I know that is the range sensor mode. I need advice on the transmission not moving in Drive. The Fluid is full I just had it checked by the Lube place. Please if you know anything let me know.
  • rollogicrollogic Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I have been experiencing the same problem as you describe with my 95 Honda Passport. I have to manually shift mine and also 4 th gear does not work.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
  • bolaobolao Posts: 1
    2000 Isuzu rodeo with auto transmission converted to manual, still shows check engine and transmission lights and jerks when cruise light shows.What to do next?
  • bobwoz55bobwoz55 Posts: 1
    i have a 98 rodeo 4x4 which had slipping 1st &2nd gears but only when stepping on it....the other day was driving home from work and all of a sudden i heard a grinding noise and lost all power to the wheels..i was able to idle it to saftey...shut the motor off and now all i get is a starter grind....and will not turn over....any ideas?
  • Hi I have a 95 isuzu rodeo and I have a question on my transmission. When you put it in drive frm the get go it wont go but if you put it in L (low gear) it will take off like nothing then change it back into D (drive) it will change gears like nothing. But come to a stop you have to put it back into L too take off. Can anyone help me is it the trans or a sensor. Someone told me that it could be the computer under the drivers side seat but Idk.
  • My transmission seemed to drop in and out of gear for a little while and now it barely works but still does the same thing. It seems like maybe the range sensor??? Im not sure so any help would be appreciated.
  • I have read every post on here and to say I am confused is a big understatement. I purchased a '00 Passport a year ago with 125 K miles . I have driven 17K pretty enjoyable and troublefree miles since buying it. I had to replace the battery. I love this little ute. Or should I say I DID. All of a sudden I am experiencing tranny shifting problems. I am not sure what all the posters who describe "hard shifting" mean by that. What mine is doing is slipping when I give it the gas,and as the gears finally catch the rear end shudders. I was hopeful that it might just be that range sensor many talked of,but they almost always included a mismatchhwith the shifter and the dash indicator. I have none of that going on. I gueas I will drive it until it no longer shifts.I guess my question to the expert mechanics here is whether they recommend cleaning or repairing the range sensor,or start saving my rebuild money. Thanks for your help
  • rojac5rojac5 Posts: 1
    Hi - did you work out this problem. I have a similar problem with my 02 4x4 rodeo automatic -- just driving down the road, it stops, have no gears etc
  • after putting in d on 2000 rodeo i hear growling noise ,jump and jerk . after it is ok . shift like it should . what to doe first ? please help . it has only 97 K miles
  • Mine was doin the same thing and now it wont go forward so was wonderin if you ever figured out what was goin on. Only difference is mine is a 02.
  • I have a 2001 isuzu rodeo 3.2. The check transmission light and cruise control light come on at the same time and then the engine stalls or dies and now it only drives in reverse. Please help! Thank you.
  • Sorry it took me so long to answer your question. It is not fixed, but it has been narrowed down some. I ended up having the tranny checked to make sure it was ok and found out it is an outside wiring issue. so thats a little good news. the wiring harness for this truck is a nightmare though. all those wires and finding the one that is shorting out. It sat in the shop for 3 month's before they figured that part out. I am to the point i have no patience to work on this truck anymore. I have been told replacing the transmission wiring harness would be simpler so i am to the point that is going to be done.
  • does anyone know how to check which transmission I have in my 1992 Isuzu Rodeo before I put the transmission.
  • Cyrix11Cyrix11 Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    Unfortunately, if you are referring to identifying a manual transmission, the only way that I know of is to measure the clutch disc AFTER you pull it. You may be able to find some numbers and then find a place to look it up. I didn't have any luck though. BIG difference in cost between the two clutch assemblies
    (I don't know why it is showing a response to "tahomas1" it is for the cheryl31)
  • i am working on a 97 rodeo just bought the nightmare tranny quit on way home from buyer
    ive looked for help and just found more questions so after getting down into it ive found the electrica problems i have changed outside fuse/relay box still no shifting so i went to change
    fluid and filter while under i found more electrical so i replaced transmission harness ive just got my fluid in and ready to go and doing a few more checks i found a electrical repair on driver side
    fender near firewall cut it open and followed badly burnt wires melted together i do not no how t he vehicle will start much less run well anyway im in the middle of this repair tracing wires leads
    to ecm and transmission i hope this will be my final repair i hoope this mite help some iwill come back and post when done with this repair maybe it will b e good news and maybe it wont i just want to let others know how this one repair of the thousands of rodeo problems repairs that are going on
  • My son replaced flywheel and clutch plate. He managed to get the transmission back in place using a jack but he has been having fits trying to get the clutch fork installed/seated correctly.

He purchased needle nose plyers with a 45 degree angle but still can not get the clutch fork attached.

Can anyone lead me to transmission installation instructions that explains the proper procedure to get the clutch fork installed?

He is repairing this vehicle to give me so I can go look for a job so any help at all would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
  • garygaryswaygarygarysway Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    my transmission will not go in any gear,and the engine reves...if i turn off the engine and start it up again,the truck isuzu rodeo sport will move at a slow pace for short distance....is the transmission gone?...is there a sensor?..do you think changing the filter will help.....not very mechanically inclind........plese help......this old man loves that truck so much i have had a little trouble pushing the shift lever button in the past to put the truck in gear..could this have anything to do with the transmission?
  • There is a clip underneath, that goes to your shifter. sounds like it came out.

P.s. Im a girl that is just learning the ropes of whats under the hood, but I did have this happen to my rodeo. :)