Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier Electrical System Questions

Comments

• paula57paula57 Posts: 2
    When I insert the key into the column, then turn it to the next position (just before actually trying to start the car) there is a fuel pump noise that lasts for maybe 2-3 seconds that can be heard. The motor USED to turn over and start up quickly and I never HAD to listen for the fuel pump so this is just a way we found to see if (or not) the car would start. No sense in grinding away at the starter and battery.

The dash cycle might not have been a very good way to put it but what I meant is that every warning light flashes and I hear some clicking noises as though the car is going through some kind of a cycle. (Possibly some type of diagnostics?)

I went out again last night, it didn't start the first time I rolled it over but the headlights came on. I guess the problem is going to have to get worse before it can be diagnosed by Chevrolet.
  • Did you take a look at the fuel pump relay? It's located inside the engine fuse compartment and can sometimes be at fault. Its a simple check not sure if it is the problem but it's worth checking out. :)
  • I have a 97 Cavalier. The A/C goes in and out. I don't know what to do. I know that it iI s not the blower motor or the switch bc those both have recently been changed. Um, I think it maybe an electrically problem but i don't know where to start. Please Help, I need some air...
  • I have a 94 chevy and for some reason the brake lights and the blinker lights just turned off at the same time. Can someone help?
  • Hey all...I have a 96 Chevy Cavalier automatic, and about three montsh ago the check engine light came on a day after I got my oil change. Took it back, they couldn't find anything wrong but said it was an Evap System Leak code, and they reset the system. All was fine for 3 months, and it just came on again. Took it in, same code. They said to do tests woul dbe about $200, then when they find a problem it could be as much as $300 more. He said it's related to emissions, and I probably wouldn't notice any driving symptoms, at least now. I was planning on getting a new car by the end of the,year/early next year...any one have evap system knowledge or experience with a similar problem? Hesitant to pay up to $500 to fix it if it won't really affect performance for 3-4 months...any help is appreciated!
  • 11071107 Posts: 1
    I have a 96 cavlier have a new starter ,alternator recently it would not start had it jumped and took it to have battery checked tested bad so got a new battery now all the gauges stay on I had the code reset and they are still on any suggestions?
  • I have a 2001 Cavalier I am trying to replace the alternator. I can not get the belt tensioner to release. I have a serpentine belt tool but can't get it to go on the bolt. I only have about 2 inches to work with so I can't use a socket. Anybody have any advice for me.
  • The tensioner is released by turning the tensioner pulley bolt in the CLOCKWISE direction. Can you get an open end wrench on the bolt?
  • 2000 Cavalier 2-dr coupe, I noticed the floor shifter is not illuminated and the digital odometer is not lit at night. Also one or two ares of the instrument cluster seem dark. Any ideas on how to access these lamps?
  • Not exactly sure on the access of that particular year but you need to remove the guage panels noting which hardware goes where for reinstall. The shifter is quite similar with screws possibly mounted on the sides. Make sure voltage is up if new bulbs are not the complete remedy. :shades:
  • Hello,

I am replacing the alternator in my 99 cavalier. I removed the old part fairly easily, but it seems about impossible to get the new one installed. Is there some way to loosen the belt? Should I remove the engine mounted piece?
  • how do i connect them and how many peaces are there
  • Daughter left lights on all day. Calls AAA for jump start, drives car for 45 minutes, stops and turns engine off. Attempts to re-start car then and there and gets no engine response, but alarms go off, a loud repeating beep, and interior lights blinked on and off. Red warning light on the dash blinked on and off. Lights went out of their own accord in about 10-15 seconds. Attempting to start the car causes the same behavior, as does opening the drivers side door.

Battery should not be dead after a 45 minute charge. Can the system be re-set?

Thanks!
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 874
    Disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes.
    Sometimes trying to charge a dead battery with the alternator will burn it out.
    Another thing check the battery for charge, the charge is not known at this time.
  • I just love my Cav. The only problem I have is that there is no warning alarm when key is left in ignition, the door is open, and when headlights are left on. Does anyone know what my problem is? I've checked the fuses. Got stuck today when I forgot to turn off headlights. Please Help. Nanahotrod
    Check the door switch, maybe stuck.
  • this miss's car has some gauges that are acting up. she said when she was driving the other day the spedo and other gauges just shut off, then sprang back into action. as well as the warning lights came on. it sounds like what happens when you turn the key off then back on. but the car never shut off. it s a 2000 chevy cav with a 2.2 anyone have any ideas??
  • Hi I have a 2005 cavalier 2.2 litre. I have problem with my battery light blinking on the dash board on and off once in awhile. I check my ground wire and clean them. Problem still coming back. I am wondering if it is my alternator. Help?
  • i want to put blue LED aftermarket fog lights on my 2002 chevy cavalier. does anyone know how to do that? do i just hook it up to my daytime running lights where the BCM module is which is located under the dash? i want it to hook it up so when i start my car and when i turn on my headlights it will go on. i also have an aftermarket pioneer car deck and i got someone to install it for me. i dont kno where they connected the power because i kno cavaliers are a hastle to instal these stupid car decks. would that affect my connection to my aftermarket foglights? thanks!
  • i think it might be your alternator because i have a 1996 2 dr cavalier and had the same problem. i took it to the garage the minute i saw my battery light was blinking because i was afraid the alternator was not charging it properly. after i changed the alternator, the light turned off and everything was working fine again.
  • I checked and that's not it. But I didn't check to see if the switch may be bad. Thank you.
  • My sons girlfriend owns a 1997 Cavalier. She went to start it and said she heard a poping sound and now there is no electrical power. I'm not a very good GM person, so where can I start to look?
    Start at the battery connections, maybe even a cracked battery.
  • I will start at the battery, I was wondering if the Cavalier has a fuse/relay box under the hood. The problem sounds like a fuse/relay has gone bad.
    Lift the hood and look, it will have a plastic cover.
  • A/C low on freon
  • I have an 04 cavaleir. None of my guages or horn work. Is there a recall on the 04 cavaleir? I don't think I should have that type of problem on my car, and I know it cost alot to have that fixed. Tell me what do I need to do?
  • bcar03bcar03 Posts: 5
    Bulbs are burned out, replace blubs.