Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caliber Transmission Problems

Comments

• You are not going to believe this!! They said that we needed to have 3 wiring harnesses replaced. They had the car for a week and a half. I have had it back now for less than one week and the damn light came on again. I am so sick of this piece of [non-permissible content removed] car. I hate it, it is not safe. I can not even go on a family vacation with it.
  • how long did you have the calibre's for when u traded them in?
    How much $$ did you lose on them?
    I am seriously considering that but i am afraid i am going to lose too much $. I've had the car it was one year this past march 22, 2007. My car was just in the service dept. for just over a week and again they said it was fixed. They replaced 3 wiring harnesses and low and behold the light just came on again and we lost power, went into limp mode. The car and the dealership are really pissing me off. I could kill right now.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    Little over a year and less than a year, yeah we went upside down but honestly it was worth it to feel safe and confident in my vehicle. I really wish the Caliber would have worked for me, I still want to like it but I just can't. :(
  • duartemduartem Posts: 3
    I have an 08 dodge caliber with 5 speed manual transmission. My car only has 15,000 km and I also have problems with the transmission as well. In the morning, when I start the car after 2-3 minutes the transmission makes a rattling sound. When I press the clutch pedal the noise disappears (when I release the clutch, the noise returns.)
    I took the car to the dealership and they called an engineer. He told me "ALL" calibers make this noise, some more then others. So I told him if Chrysler are still making brand new cars with a rattling noise in the transmission next time I will buy another brand name. Chrysler and the dealership are still refusing to fix my transmission. :sick:
  • I have a 2008 Caliber SXT. I purchased it in early Feb. and now have right at 8000 miles on it.

It's fine on the highway (with the exception of an insane amount of highway noise), but driving it in town is embarrassing. The engine is extremely loud...my rear end vibrates when I am sitting at a stop light. The WORST thing about it is that every time I slow down, turn a corner, pull in to a parking spot, I get this weird noise. I think it sounds like something creaking, but my husband swears that it's something grinding. It's pretty loud, and happens every time I drive the car - but only when I'm driving at a slow speed or preparing to stop/start. It generally makes the car "jump" just a little. Has anyone else heard this noise with their Calibers? Any suggestions? It's been doing this since right after we purchased it, but it has gotten pretty severe over the last 3000 miles. It happens every time I drive it, without fail.

I've also noticed that sometimes it doesn't want to start. That is REALLY embarrassing. I paid 19,000 for a car that won't start half the time? It usually only chokes once and then it will start, but still...that's extremely annoying.

Any thoughts? Should I take it in to the dealership or is that just part of owning a Caliber and I'm just going to have to deal with it?
  • bigtsrbigtsr Posts: 149
    Hi jessica c09 sorry to hear your having problems with your Caliber.
    First thing I have to ask is have you been back to the dealer?
    You should rally push them as you have a warranty so take
    advantage of it,if you feel that particular dealer is not addressing
    your concerns or treating you as some do when it comes to
    women owners find another one they MUST honor your warranty
    no matter if you bought from then or not.
    Hiway noise is directly linked to the tires,if you notice when you drive
    on relatively new asphalt things quiet down considerably.
    Vibrations while stopped may be a exhuast pipe alignment
    problem and it's rubbing or touching the body while under tension.
    Creaking or grinding at slow speeds could be brakes or steering
    mechanism.
    You didn't indicate if you have a CVT(automatic) or standard shift
    but if you have the CVT the car does have a slight jump or funny
    feeling at abt 20 mph,that's the transmission and that is normal.
    I have a SXT also and have had no problems in 2 yrs of ownership,
    I admit the CVT tranny does take some time to feel right.
    I would take it to the dealership with a written list of concerns
    and if they try to fluff you off find another plus call Chrysler
    customer service and register your concerns.
  • I purchase my caliber in march of this year. its 4cy 2.0L with auto trans. i have currently a little bit under 7000miles and i been expreince some jerking when i let off the gas pedal. the dealership where i live said that its suppose to do that because slows the car down when deacceration. Right now i am not having any problems with my car. i did pay the extended warranty. My car does not have any extras in it ( no power windows,power lock, criues control) nothing like that. I had car that was 10 yrs old and none of the windows would rolls down and you had to opem the locks maunlly . that is why i bought a car with no extras, because i do not plan on selling this car anytime soon. i do not know if having all the extras in having something to do with, but it should not. i have been around cars since i was kid.
  • I own a 2007 Dodge Caliber and have had my automatic transmission replaced at 32,000km's do to stalling issues. The weird thing to this is i looked at the work order and i noticed it had said the transmission fluid was burnt. With reading that it kinda got to me if these tranny's are even good lol. Well the dealer replaced it and not even two days after that i was driving home and the cooling line on the new tranny blew. And i had the car towed back in. What i am getting at is i had my car since oct 2006 and had it in 40 times for warranty work. Including a new water pump too.

Stuff i have noticed and still taking it in for are:

- Jerkiness in the tranny when letting the gas pedal go and resuming.
    - Door panels are coming loose and rattle in back right after having no bass applied
    - Front two rotors warped. (they want to charge me for diagnose on this i have a 7 year / 160,000 warranty lol ) vibration in steering wheel when braking.
    - back drums are sticking when you let go and apply bracks (dealership tighten them when i was in one time before)
    - getting a hollow and loose noise from front end when going over minor bumps (keep saying they can't find problem)
    - power steering pump loud sometimes
    - both front doors window motors being replaced.
    - just had front left tie rod replaced recently.
    - two front speakers being replaced.

The warranty work on my car seems endless lol.......
    Wow certainly sounds like you got the pick of the litter!
    I can't say that I have had any of those concerns come up
    and I am at almost 30,000km the car has only been back
    to dealer for free oil/filter changes and 1 computer update
    at my request.
    Good luck!
  • Boy are you thinking to get out of that car early. I bought a 2006 Caliber R/T and if you look for the subject Dodge Caliber with cupping and alignment problems you will see that I DUMPED my car and bought a used Pontiac Grand Prix GT. Now I am driving a real solid car!! the CVT will not be the only problems that you will be dealing with. Read as much as you can about the Caliber problems in other posts as you will be convinced to get out of your lease asap. Don't run....walk. ;)
  • i had my car for less than 30000 miles and the shifter refused to come out of park it was shift sensor. the dealer took 5 days to fix and would not get me a rental car although it was a warranty issue with the car. It was less than a month later it left me again same issue although by the time it was towed to the dealer for same problem dealer stated there was nothing wrong with the car it was working fine. Now at 75,000 miles the transmission overheating light keeps coming on and a throttle sensor light and the car will refuse to start once engine has heated up. This car has been nothing but trouble. I warn everyone who has stated an interest in this car not to buy one. I even talked to the corporate office about exchanging this car for a different one back at 30,000 miles and they refused to even discuss the problem. Dodge sucks when it comes to customer service. My exact comments would need to be sensored when it comes to this vehicle. :mad:
  • I have a 2008 Caliber with a CVT tranny. The tranny seems to search for the right gear when driving at a steady speed in town.When I mentioned that to the service manager at the 5 star dealership where I work, he commented that it was a go kart transmission.

I can assure you that this car with a CVT tranny is not for mountain driving. Recently, we drove up Pikes Peak, at the gate where I paid, the Park Ranger inquired if I knew how to use the plus and minus on the gearshift, I assured her I did, she stated I should use 1st on the way down. As I left the parking lot at the peak, I got into 1st gear while still on the level. 1st gear will not hold the car back enough, I had to use my brakes way too much. At this point, I should mention that I have driven several vehicles on that road, and have made 8-10 trips, so I have a very good understanding about overheated brakes and driving in a lower gear on mountain roads. About half way down, everyone gets to stop to have the brake temp checked, I was just barely low enough, temp wise, but was so close the Ranger made a phone call to double check. In 1st, the car will speed up while coasting, instead of the other way around.
    Very interesting results on an extreme gradient which is also
    very long.
    I don't doubt the veracity of your statements as I have never driven
    Pikes Peak at all.
    If you look at my location on a map you would doubt that we have
    any concerns regarding such driving however we have quite a number
    of 4-6% grade of from 1-2 miles in length.I have found on 2 of the 6%
    I leave it in Drive and set the cruise for 40 kph/25 mph and the car
    will brake against the engine while it gains no more than 4-6 mph.
    You can watch the tach and see the rpms go up as the engine is braking
    the car,I have never tried putting in Low while doing this however.
  • I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber with 34,000 mile.
    My car died and my transmission was no good. It was replaced with a new transmission and as I drove the car out of the dealer repair shop it would not go more that 5 miles per hour. I drove it right back and they said they fixed it. The next time I drove it away I got about 2 miles when the car died again. It was towed back and they said that the new transmission was no good . They then put in a second new one. That one lasted 3 days and it died again. Has anyone had any luck with the lemon law? I have only had the car for for 1 and a 1/2 year
  • :mad: :lemon: I bought my USED 2007 Caliber with approx. 38,500 miles on September11,2008.
    January 25,2009 juu\st 41/2 months and milage at 42,500. the Transmission is a gonner. I can't believe it ... )o: NOT sure yet what the dealer is going to so but, It does NOT look good. I will be contacting the local BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU if they do NOT replace the transmission. My suggestion is that the MORE people that do this the better. Dodge needs to learn to make better cars. This is a potential safety issue. Well, PLEASE e-mail me with a respone if you can or wish.
    NASCAR820@Frontiernet.net
  • I had an opportuinity to rent a Caliber for about 1 month....gotta tell you it was a very interesting experience. I have never "posted" a message on a blog, or message center, however, i thought it was important enough in this case to hopefully help steer folks away from considering or should I say even thinking about buying a Caliber. I am a major car guy....since the age of 15....now 48. This car is junk, and in my opinion not even safe for use on public roads.
    I,m not sure where to start....the lovely tranny, that sounds like a gremlin resides deep in it's belly, or the car's inability to either catch up to traffic when entering a highway, or it's issue with shaking upon throttle lift before braking.Whoever signed off on this mechanical design needs to either resign, or take a brush up course on product development as this one leaves an awful lot to be desired, and my heart goes out to anyone who has paid hard earned money for this mess on wheels.Maybe this is another reason that Chrysler is taking on water at a rapid rate.....
    Well too bad you had an unhappy experience with POS rental.
    It left a bad taste in your mouth however my personal experience
    has been the opposite after 2-1/2 yrs of ownership.
    My 2.0L/CVT has only been back to the dealer for my lifetime
    free oil/filter changes and 1 software update.I have driven it as if
    I stole it from day one and it gets 26-28 mpg US/city and as high
    as 34 mpg US/hiway.I would say for 2L that it accelerates extremely
    well on any occasion I have needed it to.
    Again any experience with a rental would not lead me to condemn
    any product out of hand.
  • jagz1jagz1 Posts: 1
    hi i am also a owner of a 2007 caliber and am having many of the problems you all are ive had it to two dodge certified mechanics and they have tried to fix it the last mechanic thought maybe we should just put in a new transmission my problem with that is it was a new transmission when i bought it so whos to say that its not gonna have the same problem down the road i dont know about u guys but i dont have money to keep putting into this car i did google class action lawsuit dodge caliber and got a couple of websites one was a lemon law lawyer who will review your case for free ive tried getting some answers from dodge but that was leading nowhere so im gonna be a pain in there side till something is done
    What have been or are your problems?
    Possibilty someone who is forum member has been there done that!
    You may get help if you explain.
  • The Dodge Caliber that we just recently purchased has been making a howling noise whenever we back it out of the garage and apply the brakes. It only does it when we let it sit overnight, when the car is in reverse, and only when we apply the brakes.
    I thought that it was the brakes, until I popped it into nuetral while it was still moving back and I was still applying the brakes the howling stopped.
    I don't understand the transmission in this thing, but I wonder if there is some sort of braking going on in the thing that could be making the noise.
    I contacted the dealer and they said that it was normal but they wouldn't tell me what it was. Maybe it's time to contact a different dealer.
    I'm just throwing this out there to see if any you out there have had the same problem or any advice for me on what to do.
    You neglected to specify if it was a standard or the automatic(CVT)
    transmission.Many standard trannies will make a whining or
    howling noise of varying degrees while in reverse,this is particularly
    noticeable when you accelerate backwards then let up on
    the gas pedal.If it's the CVT I have not experienced a noticeable
    noise level while reversing.
  • bevygirlbevygirl Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problems. Don't get me wrong, I love my caliber. It drives beautiful and really don't have any other complaints, but...I am at 24,000. miles and when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, sometimes to 4th it clicks (the only way to describe it is like the sound a sparkplug would make or just a click sound, weird?) I can only hear it when my window is down, but it's hard to describe. Not a huge deal, but still concerning.
    I also had my brakes checked just because they felt a little unusual and they ended up replacing the drums and pads! I can't explain that because I do not ever ride the breaks and have only had the car for 8 months? But...they also told me after replacing the back brakes, that my front brakes were at 25 percent and that they needed to be changed within a couple of weeks. It's been two months since then and I decided to have my stepfather change them because they charged me almost 300. and when he went to change them, he told me that my brakes were fine and still had a long, long way to go before they needed to be changed. Now I'm wondering if my rear brakes were ever bad at all? I guess next time I will bring it to another dealer. :(
    Anyway, it is still clicking after they replace the clutch switch? so...not sure what it is, but I am looking for another dodge dealer to help me. :confuse:
    Once again though...I do :blush: love my car....
  • ltyler44ltyler44 Posts: 2
    After 25K miles no problems with anything on '07 Caliber SXT. However, mileage was very disappointing until I passed 8K. Then MPG on the road increased to 30, remains around 20 MPG in town.
  • mek0123mek0123 Posts: 33
    I have a question to those of you who have had to make multiple trips back to the dealership for the same problem. Are those respective dealerships slated to close now? I've noticed in the Detroit Metropolitan area, 90+% of the dealers here that are slated to lose their franchise license give really poor service. I'm talking about more than a standard tune up, oil change and radiator flush. Since the front line for a manufacturer is the dealer, the bad ones need to just go away. That goes for GM/Ford/Toyota/Honda/Nissan/VW/Mercedes/BMW and others too. When you have repeated complaints about a dealer's service department, the offending dealership needs to be eliminated. Automobiles cost too much for continuing hassles!
  • kc3029kc3029 Posts: 1
    i own a dodge caliber SXT.just want to ask if anyone have any problem with the power sterring pump?because mine got accelerating sound when i step on the gas.reply me ASAP..thnaxs :)
    Have you checked the fluid level in the power steering supply?
    I don't see the PS making any noise accelerating in a
    straight line,try it in neutral with hood up to pin point source.
    My sxt is 3 yrs old and no strange noises to date.
  • ojennjennojennjenn Posts: 1
    Hi - I have read some of the messages here and am having a similar issue with my 2007 Caliber. The transaxle overheat light has come on twice... once on a day that was about 85 degrees and I had been in my car for something like 40 minutes when the light came on the first time... it went into "limp" mode which is where the RPMs increase but the gas pedal will not allow the car to move at a faster pace until the car seems to completely disengage the gas pedal from the engine/transmission. The second time this happened, I was heading up a freeway and the grades are moderate but nothing too extreme (Hwy 50 from Sacramento to Placerville CA)... and I had to stop twice to "cool off"... When I was driving up my parents' driveway, the car actually stopped and would not move forward no matter how much pressure I put on the gas pedal... it was insane. So, I took it into the dealership and they are telling me that they cannot duplicate the problem ... I insisted that they drive the car for at least 40 minutes in the afternoon or drive it until it happens. I don't like the feeling that they are going to charge me a diagnostic fee telling me that everything looks fine and then next week it happens again and they try to charge me another deductible or diagnostic fee for the same issue. Are all dealership service centers just filled with ignorant mechanics? Shouldn't the transmission specialist know about the quirks that have been reported by people? This seems like since they are "specialists" that there should be some knowledge about it. Sorry, this is more like a rant than a request for feedback/suggestions. Thanks. :cry:
  • dmyrderdmyrder Posts: 1
    I have the exact same issue with my 2007 Dodge Caliber. It will go into limp in mode whenever I go on long trips that have grades of 6% or greater. did you ever find out what was causing the problem? i am scheduled for an apointment with the dealer tranny specialist, and i hope they can fix the problem. please let me now if you ever got your problem fixed and what the solution was. Thanx
    I was wondering about 2 things:
    1-What is the milage/kilometers on the odometer?
    2-Have you followed recommended CVT maintenance schedule at milages
    indicated by owners manual if those distances have been achieved?

There are 2 coolers on the CVT one is on the tranny itself and is referred
    to in the service manual as a "water to trans fluid cooler" and the other
    is the "trans fluid to air cooler" located in front of the standard radiator.
    Have these been checked?
  • I JUST experienced the same issue last night with the car 'limping'.

I had not driven it since the day before, so it wasn't even warm, never mind hot or overheating, and not a block down the street, I'd put the pedal down to go and it would just crawl. RPMs were about 2500 and the car was going about 10 mph...on a flat street!?

It's an '07 SXT (cvt) with 60,000 miles on it. Not sure what indicator light you guys are talking about, but my orange/yellow 'engine' light came on before this happened. I went to AutoZone and got a free code read: P0717 - Input Speed Sensor Circuit Low Input....and P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction.

I have not yet looked into a remedy for this, but my hunk 'o junk has been running just fine today. Go figure. This coming week's 500 mile back-and-forth should prove interesting to say the least.

Is there a Dodge Tech out there who knows what the **** is going on with these cars?!?!?