Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caliber Transmission Problems

Comments

• lgrecolgreco Posts: 1
    I am interested in a possible class action against Chrysler Dodge. Please send more info
  • ekhuskeyekhuskey Posts: 1
    I would be interested in a class action lawsuit.
  • Class Action Lawsuit I am in. I had a 2007 Dodge Caliber CVT AWD RT for a week before the transmission went and the software needed to be upgraded. The dealership had to take it to a Dodge dealership because no independent mechanic can fix these damn things. All in all I am about 10,000 in debt for a car that stopped working the first week and have no way to get out of the loan. Problem is I even had someone look at it. This car has some serious electronic and mechanical issues.
  • momergmomerg Posts: 2
    I've just had something similar to this happen to me last night. I was on my way home from work and all of a sudden I had the message PRND8 appear, my engine and the Trans Oil Temp lights both turned on. I could not go over 15/20mph. I hooked up my OBD2 reader and ended up with fault codes U0101 & U0402; lost communication with TCM and implausible data received from TCM. Thankfully it happened when I was just around the corner to my house.

I do mostly city driving, my engine temp was ok at the time it happened. Today I checked the connections to the TCM and made sure it was properly connected. I still had both fault codes and the engine light but no Trans Oil Temp light. so I drove it up and down the street and the Trans Oil Temp light kept coming on and going off, while it was on I could not drive over 15mph, and when it went off I could drive normally.

I'm bringing it in tomorrow(Monday)
  • momergmomerg Posts: 2
    Turned out to be 2 broken wires un the left front wheel well. Not as bad as I expected! :D
  • damst75damst75 Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 07 caliber 3 days ago. They replaced the transmission control module but that didnt do anything, now they are telling me they have to replace the PCM as well.
  • Yea,I'd like to get in on any class action suit.I've got a 2008 Caliber with the
    beloved cvt transmission that needs replacing.Car has only 59,000 miles on it
    but,of course,I don't have the extended warranty since I bought it used Dodge
    wanted $3100 for a used trannie w/47,000 miles on it.Best price I could find
    was $2500 to get it rebuilt.(shop has several 5 star reviews on Google so heres
    hoping.They've had it for a week now,and pedaling bike to work 6 1/2 miles
    min each way is getting old.I have also sworn off Dodges,but this one had the
    sunburst orange color I love so,of course,I just had to have it.Wife has been
    kind enough not to remind me of that(yet)
  • janfayjanfay Posts: 2
    I would like to join a class action suit. My 2008 Dodge Caliber CVT transmission just went out. Only had 52,000 miles.
  • janfayjanfay Posts: 2
    2008 caliber cvt out. I want in on a class ation suit.
  • Had a 2007 CVT Caliber w/53,000 miles & I adored the CVT. Yeah scorpio, that Sunburst Orange is lovely. But it kept nagging at me how expensive it would be to repair if it did fail. :lemon: Traded in my Caliber for a great deal on a Hyundai Elantra w/100,000 mile warranty, that I also adore. Get 20+% better mpg with a good auto transmission, but miss the ultra smooth elegance of the CVT.
  • gizm0mangizm0man Posts: 13
    Also had an 07 awd Sunburst Orange. Tranny went at 50k back in 2010. Started making a whining sound. Luckily I had an extended warrantee. New ones were on backorder. Took almost a month to find a used one. From then on I had a bad hesitation at about 2400 rpm. Dealer replaced the tanny a 2nd time. So many problems I finally traded it in in March for a 2013 RAV4 XLE.
  • I have a 2007 Sunburst Orange with 55,000 miles. It started making a whining noise when driving. Bad gearbox bearings. I'd love to get in on a class action!! I am. In the UK, don't know if that would make a difference. I am American though.
  • gizm0mangizm0man Posts: 13
    Had the same problem with my 07 awd also sunburst orange back in 2000, at about 53k miles. Look back in the thread for my story.
    As far as a class action, I don't think it's worth getting into for several reasons. Are there enough people who have had problems that a law firm will take it on. If one does, after their fees, what would be left for us. Most likely, Chrysler would offer a discount on another Chrysler product. Would you buy one? I had so many other problems, that I traded it on a 2013 RAV4 XLE in March.
  • Mine was actually a UK-spec right hand drive, FWD. I'm from the US though, so thought that maybe it was still covered under warranty (I bought it from a 3rd party dealership used). I was hopeful the powertrain warranty would be at least 6 years/60,000 miles. No luck, 3 years/30,00 miles. Not surprised with the weak warranty terms though, with such a turd of a product. I have a 2005 Neon SRT-4 and I love it, but this experience with my Caliber has definitely soured my thoughts on Dodges. I was planning on buying a Challenger SRT-8 when I got back to the US, but now I think I'll just stick with GM. It helps that I get 20% off dealer invoice on GMs.
  • I'm about to take my 2007 Caliber in for the same thing. Only 53,000 miles on it!
  • We got our caliber in 07 with 8 miles on it. A year later, we had to have the transmission replaced. There were some other repairs as well, like a window that wouldn't work, and the lights would dim through the car at random times. We have the extended warranty and last December we had to have more repairs and they did a flash update to the CVT. Monday I turned the car back in because it wouldn't accelerate and was jerking like crazy. They called to let me know it needs another transmission! Then they called to let me know Chrysler is sending an inspector. Anyone had to have an inspector come out?

I wish I could lemon this car. I'm pretty sure it's past that point. The car is paid off and only has 70,000 miles on it. We can't afford a new car payment. Dodge is going to make me lose it!!
  • calibercrapolacalibercrapola Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    I have a used 2010 caliber that now, after the first 3 yr/36k warranty went out in Aug 2013, now the car is doing stupid things. It has stalled on me several times when leaving the stop sign. Now, when I am neutral, it makes a noise but when I push in the clutch, it stops. When I go to accelerate, it makes this almost whining noise until I push in the clutch, then it stops until I accelerate again to switch gears. There is no repair manual for it. I have the power train warranty but I'm not sure if it's the tranny, flywheel, pressure plate or clutch. I am afraid it will not be covered by the power train warranty. Anyone know where to get a repair manual? ????
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    The factory service manual is available from Mopar Tech Authority at 2010 Dodge Caliber Service Manual and costs $134.99

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• caboose10caboose10 Posts: 1

i have a 2007 r/s which has 85,000 miles on it. The AWD! light came on. I was thinking sensor. Went to trade in and they said they heard a whining noise.
    Dealer diagonosed it and said that there was a bad bearing in the tranny as well as a bad sylanoid pack. $4500 for a new tranny. Was told it cannot be rebuilt since non-servicable tranny
    I would be in class action if enough are having tranny issues

• I have a 2007 r/s with 129,000 miles and Dodge tells me I need a new transmission. It still runs real well and no problem in shifting, just a whinning noise on take off. Have never had the fluid or filter changed. Would changing fluid and filter help?