Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caliber Changes You'd Like To See

PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,810
edited April 3 in Dodge
Ever find yourself thinking, I just wish the Caliber had...

Well this is the place to let us know what improvements you would make to the Caliber to make it even better!

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Comments

• I would like to have had a power seat instead of the manual barber style chair for the driver,and it should have rear window tinting like the Magnum,and the minivans.Other than that I'm happy with my R/T
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,810
    It's amazing how fast those nice "extras" almost become necessities. Power seats and windows, cruise control.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• I'd like to see dcx use padding on the center and door armrest areas, they are very hard on the elbows! I'd also like to see easier access to the coin holder area as it's almost impossible to reach for coins going up to a toll booth, etc. Another improvement would be for them to take the hard plastic dash out and use a softer padded dash. Also, I still think it's possible for the engineers to give the cars computer a "tweaking" to make it get better gas mileage. Those are my thoughts so far.
  • I miss not being able to control door locks from passenger side. Also would have like to see power seat control
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    I drove a Caliber yesterday. I must admit it was a smooth ride. This car has the biggest blind front pillers I have ever driven. WE drove up a steep on ramp, the transmission got up to over 6500 rpm and would not shift or move the belt to the next step, I had to take my foot off the accelerator. I could sure feel the belt move as it went up.
    For me, I thought $17,890. was no real bargin and with no rebates, and no Farm Bureau rebate I said no thanks. We then took a test in the new Nissan Versa. It was $14,600. and had the biggest back seat with plenty of room for you feet of any compact car and even some big cars, it was better than the Caliber, except for interior room.
    One thing that DCX has to deal with is Ford has a 5 year 60,000 mile no deductable warranty. The 3 year 36,000 mile DCX has needs to be
  • I would like an inside trunk release like I had in my Ford Focus wagon. Also since I'm not tall I have a hard time closing the trunk so a strap would be a help.
  • Electronic Stability Control (ESC) & Traction Control!!!
    Hopefully in the 2008 Model Year!

I'd also like to see an All Wheel Drive SRT Model.
  • Unless you drove a Caliber with a Standard Transmission it had a CVT Transmission and they don't "Shift" as they don't have gears.

http://www.carpages.ca/go/roadtest/2007_dodge_caliber_road_test.aspx
  • Let's get rid of the stupid air conditioned glove box and spend more money on a better flashlight and a more efficient engine. Change the ugly butt too.
  • First, all car designers must have safety foremost in their minds. The Caliber has terrible blindspots front & back, windows that are too many(along with too many posts) & too small(both in width & height), & posts that are too wide.

The back roof should not be tapered down. Front headroom is almost too much(unless one is very long torsoed), while back headroom is quite a bit less. A non-tapered back roof would also allow more glass & rearward visibility.

More space efficiency is needed. There is far too much fore & aft space in the console between the firewall & the driver's instrument panel. Space is wasted also with the stepped hatchback above the rear bumper, plus the overly raked rear window. With a redesign of the rear, the rear window wiper could be enlarged to clean a much larger area of rear glass for greater visibility safety. With an extensive space efficiency campaign, the Caliber could be reduced in size & weight with a comparable decrease in engine size making for further decreases in weight & size with little space sacrificed to humans or cargo.
  • Check with your local dealer, ESC should be available now.
  • bigtsrbigtsr Posts: 149
    Your absolutely right with all your points,I overcome the
    rear blindspots with convex 1-1/2 inch mirrors on the side
    mirrors and a large panoramic(slightly convex) on the inside
    rearview mirror.
    The styling is one of the major factors in my buying the
    Caliber,if the size,mid range fuel economy and look at me
    style were not present I could have a Ford Focus wagon or some other plain jane box.
    Just my opinion as a biased extremely satisfied Caliber
    owner.
  • A reporter seeks longtime loyal Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep buyers who want the company to build a subcompact model or two. Please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, October 20, 2006 with a few relevant comments and your daytime contact info.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• Being 6'5", i wouldn't mind seeing the steering wheel that telescopes in addition to the tilt function. When i sat in a Caliber at the dealer the other day, the steering wheel was too close to me.
  • bigtsrbigtsr Posts: 149
    I am not being a smart*ss here but I am 6'2" and I have
    found the tilt plus seat movement resolved this concern
    when I was test driving the first few Calibers before
    buying a SXT.
    I would hazard a guess that someone who has out of"norm"
    body proportions (heel to waist say) could have genuine
    problem without telescopic steering column.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,810
    I'm only 6' even, but have those long legs and arms, so I can relate to this. Not only would additional leg room be nice, but my wish list might include the ability to move the steering wheel a bit closer to the dash for arm position too! (realizing that there's no doubt going to be a monetary cost for fulfilling my wishes :P )

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• A reporter from a large daily newspaper is looking to speak to women who are current Dodge Caliber or Compass drivers. The reporter would like to discuss why you purchased the vehicle. Please provide your daytime contact info to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, October 18, 2006.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    These are the changes I'd like to see:

2.0 as an option with the stick shift, included with the SXT package;

PZEV emissions in the green states (where I live - it's not just better for the environment, the cat converter and a lot of other emission parts are then covered for 150,000 miles).

ABS standard - the more I think about it, although studies don't see a safety benefit from ABS (due to operator mis-use - taking the foot off the brakes when it pulsates) this is a matter of education, not the equipment. Every time it rains out here I get nervous not having ABS, and I don't see how those of you in the snow states can live without it.
  • mek0123mek0123 Posts: 33
    Sunscreen glass (just like the Compass), cruise control, tilt/telescoping wheel, and better sound deadening materials to control road noise.
This discussion has been closed.