Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A3 Transmission Problems

Comments

• dbtdbt Posts: 298
    Part in today (Mechatronic), replaced; for now, car has not replicated the problem from before.

Another Audi forum has many other owners having this problem. search for audi a3 forums enthusiast avant

Happy to say goodbye to the Grand Prix, and hello again to the A3.
  • bmx43bmx43 Posts: 5
    yes. per my earlier posts, i have had similar and other problems with this tranny since i bought the car in April. i now have around 2500 miles on the car and the problem is only getting worse. it seems that you have 2 choices with the car: searching and lurching. searches in the manual mode, and lurches in the auto mode.

i have owned 5 audis. i will NEVER buy another audi with an auto transmission.

and also, the "no problems found" is the standard line from Audi. i have a lot of experience with them. they never ever admit there is a problem until they get sued. audi usa sucks.
  • naanaa Posts: 4
    Hi, I have a 6 wk old Audi which required a new clutch. Audi claimed the clutch failure was due to improper use of the transmission! The cost of the new clutch was VERY high. How may I find information to counter Audi's claim, info that I might, if necessary, use in Small Claims Court?
    Thanks!!!
  • What did Audi ask to replace the clutch? I remember one poster here quoting around $1400 or so.

If you do a web search for Audi forums, you should find several additional sites to which you can post to and possibly get answers from.
  • ...is... it possible to hose the Audi DSG clutch by manual operation?

With a clutch pedal, it's certainly possible. But DSG's don't have one!!
  • My 2003 Audi A3 is on it's third clutch at 60,000 miles. i've driven clutches my whole driving life (too many years to count). they keep telling me it's driving error and the 2003 clutches are 'super sensitive'. I think it's a problem with the clutch. what recourse do I have beside putting in a new clutch every year or selling my car? Thanks
    Hi. We just replaced the clutch on and 06 A3. Audi claimed driver error, we paid. Perhaps a class action suit may be the answer if there are a good many of these complaints.
  • DSG (Audi's calling it S-tronic for 2007) or manual?
    thanks for responding...it's manual.
  • I too have an 06 A3. I drive through rush hour Detroit traffic. My clutch failed just after 20K miles, guess what, I too was told that I was abusing the clutch. $2700 for clutch and fly wheel. We tried to reason with the dealer, who was rude, we called the customer relations office, they sided with the dealer. We are going to pay to get the car running, then we are going to dump it for antoher auto maker, We are also going to consult an attorney, it seems that Audi/VW has a long history of clutch failures. 70,000 were recalled that were made in 2004 with clutch failures! :mad:
  • If anyone is interested, we are contacting an attorney regarding this issue. Given the history of clutch problems that the A3 has had in the past, and the fact that there are several people with the same issue with very low miles, and not "kids racing" we are going to run this up the flag pole and see what happens. If you have the same issues, please contact me at wobschalld at charter dot net and tell me your story. I believe $2600 is far too much to pay for a car with only 20K miles!
  • Is this a DSG equipped car, or straight manual trans?
  • A straight manual transmission. I have owned several manual transmissions, never have I had this problem. Now after being at the dealer, they are telling me that the tranny needs to be rebuilt as well, due to the clutch failure, and at a cost of almost 1/3rd of the car. We have contacted an attorney.
    Hi, let me know if you proceed with an attorney....thanks. :sick:
  • Yes, we have consulted an attorney, he is going to look at our case and determine if he will take it or not. Based on the preliminary information, he is inclined to believe that we have a winnable case. For a much smaller retainer fee of $750.00, we are hoping that at the very least Audi will reconsider and repair under warranty. I have no less than 10 people who have ridden with me on several occasions who will state that I do not abuse or race the car.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    Any updates on that?

I hate hearing of stories such as this which make a corporation and it's employees look like a bunch of greedy dishonest corporate scum bags and more evil than Satan himself.
  • We are now waiting for a "Forensic" guy to look at it. Since the tranny and clutch both failed, at a cost of $8200.00 for 20 k miles, we are not in a hurry to pay for this out of pocket until we are sure that we have exhausted all avenues with Audi.
  • visanth3visanth3 Posts: 3
    My 2006 A3, always driven in DSG mode, has multiple transmission issues but none that are reproduceable enough for me to take it into the dealer and have them check out. First, after sitting in the garage overnight, a typical morning trying to get the car to start ends in at least two frustrating attempts before it catches and fires up. The engine turns over and over like a an old plymouth, and even if I give it gas it sometimes won't start at all. I have to stop, and try again and usually the second time it will go but NEVER quick and from the start like a new car should.

Second, when driving, cold or hot engine, it tends to jerk into second when I press the paddle to shift up. Sometimes it happens into third as well. It doesn't downshift very well but it doesn't lurch or search like others have complained about either. It's more like it doesn't like being made to use the gears instead of me using the brakes.

Third, and sort of a side note, I only had 12,000 miles on the car, it had been to it's routine service and I had the oil light go on saying I was very low on oil. I happened to be passing an audi dealer so I drove it in, they checked the dipstick and found it to be bone dry! The guy added two quarts to put it in the middle of the stick and then told me I should be checking my oil more often. Why could my car be burning so much oil? There is no leak.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Fact of life, engines use oil. Period, full stop, the end.

Fact of life, blown engines tend to use more oil than normally aspirated engines.

Fact of life, the VWoA 2.0T is typically a bit thirstier than most.

You should be checking your oil at least every other fill-up. As for make-up oil, do yourself a favor and buy a case of Castrol Syntec 0W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40 and keep your engine topped off.

Hopefully you didn't do any serious damage to your engine as any engine failure will now most likely not be considered a warranty item as it is most probable that Audi now has it on record that you ran your car low on oil. :( FWIW, those engines can be a bit pricy to replace.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,645
    It's either leaking or burning. I'd demand a "cylinder leakdown test" ASAP. The dealer may make you do an oil consumption test before he does that for you gratis, so you may have to jump through that hoop. This way, the test will prove the engine at fault, not you.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

I don't understand why you say that. Assuming visanth3 has followed the standard maintenance schedule, he/she was 7,000 miles into a scheduled 10,000 mile OCI. It is not at all unreasonable for the 2.0T to consume a quart of oil every 3,000 miles, in fact, by all accounts 3,000 miles is actually a bit above the norm.

At this point, if there IS engine damage, I seriously doubt that Audi will be willing to foot the bill because the owner didn't check his/her oil.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I have since this episode become very OCD about checking my oil, though even my BMW 330ci didn't need this kind of babying and that was much more of a sports car than my A3. And, even though 2,000 miles after an oil change shouldn't have meant the car would burn 4 quarts of oil. I can see topping it off every once in awhile but not burning through the whole lot of it in 2,000 miles.

However, this has nothing to do with the shifting issues I have described since they have been occuring since I bought the car with increasing regularity. Can anyone please comment about the DSG issues?
    Wait, I'm confused. First you said:

"Third, and sort of a side note, I only had 12,000 miles on the car, it had been to it's routine service and I had the oil light go on saying I was very low on oil."

"Routine service" for your engine oil is at the 5,000 mark and then again at the 15,000 mile mark. The implicaiton here is that you went 7,000 miles on the oil after your "routine service".

Then you said:

"And, even though 2,000 miles after an oil change shouldn't have meant the car would burn 4 quarts of oil. I can see topping it off every once in awhile but not burning through the whole lot of it in 2,000 miles."

Are you sure? BTW, you originally claimed that your car was down two quarts, now you are saying four quarts. Ummm, I'm confused again.

Regarding your BMW, the I6 in your old car had a seven quart oil capacity, your A3 isn't even five (IIRC), and as such is going to be MUCH more intolerant of being down a quart.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Sorry for the confusion. The car went in for service at 10,000 because of an indicator for service. They did the service at my request though they said it was a faulty glitch in the system that caused the indicator to tell me to service the car. So the oil was changed at 10,000. And I said it was down 4 quarts because the tech said it was bone dry and he added 2 quarts and that did not take it to FULL, only half way. But, honestly, this is more of an inconvenient side issue and I would really like info on the shifting problems that have been going on far longer than this oil debacle.
    From what I understand and some have confirmed, the dipstick measures down to 1 quart low, meaning, if its at half way, it's only a half quart low.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,749
    I remember reading there was some sort of DSG recalibration procedure for some of the earlier A3's. Did the dealer do that on yours?

Wrt Oil, VW and Audis burn more than most and need frequent changes. Turbos only make it worse, and it's good idea to use best synthetic you can with these.
  • dwobschalldwobschall Posts: 6
    Attorney is pursuing a law suite. We hired a forensics person to do an eval. No signs of abuse or "Racing" as Audi stated, he did however find hairline cracks in the clutch that he thinks may have caused the clutch to go out, and causing the tranny to have troubles. Long process, but at least now we know the truth! Cannot wait to hear what Audi is going to do about it. Our total repair bill with clutch and tranny is over $8200.00, we have so far just paid the $2800 for the clutch, and the car has been sitting at the dealer for 3 months.
  • peevedpeeved Posts: 2
    purchased a 2007 2.0T automatic A3 two weeks ago. Feel in love with the model after a month long courtship, also looked at vw jetta gli (too preteen), subaru legacy 2.5 GT (too unpredictable), acura TSX (too underpowered), 3.2 a3 (too slow at altitude)... but that 2.0T took my heart. I know nothing about cars, just what feels comfortable, appears classy, and can induce euphoria. I don't know manual, but was/am astounded by the DSG/S-Tronic! It knows if i wanted to really accelerate and spool the turbo, or if i wanted a gentler ride. It shifts without any lag and due to the ever ready second clutch, it never seems to pause in neutral. It keeps the car in 6th gear at any time possible to save gas. GOD! i could go on forever about the brilliant engineering that was put into that transmission.

But then yesterday, my lil automatic A3 decided to trade in the Dr. Jekyll personality for Mr. Hyde. While accelerating up a 6% grade hill at 75 mph, I completely lost power. The display showed the gearbox was spinning its wheels in neutral while seemingly randomly picking out gears that nearly stalled or redlined. What followed was a terrifying 30 seconds of jerking, whining, revving, slowing down and speeding up, and feeling like my car was about to not only completely stop on the freeway, but then start to roll backwards into an approaching semi. Eventually I got it to a safe place to pull off and it reverted to its domesticated persona, shifting as normal. After feeling slightly idiotic waiting for a tow truck to pick up a sub1K car that appeared to running just fine, I got back on the highway, this time downhill and cruised home without problem.

Talking with the dealership on the phone on the ride home they wouldn't concede it could possibly be a tranny problem and instead blamed the occurance on ineffective gas intack due to low gas (1/4 full) which resulted in "sputtering." Taking the car in tomorrow and see what they have to say. Hope to god i don't have a lemon. At less than 1000 miles if they need to replace the transimission i think i'm gonna demand a replacement car, i don't wanna drop 30+G for a frankenstien jalopy. Anybody had similar trouble with an 07 or have heard of won cases over A3 transmission with regards to lemon laws?

From reading this forum tonight and my own experience, all i can say is that the Auto DSG Transmission is a true idiot savant! Most the time it performs amazing feats but sometimes you're gonna have a psychotic on your hands.
    Maybe its just the brain of the tranny (computer) and not the mechanicals that are psychotic?
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,749
    An automobile is the absolute worst environment for computer systems (I used to design them). A strong radio transmission, Power line electrical arc, etc. can generate enough interference to freak out all but the best shielded computers.

I've seen computerized cars temporarily shut off turn signals, power steering and other items due to such interference.

Unfortunately, Euro cars (per some mechanic articles I've read) tend not as well shielded as USA and Japanese designs. It's one reason why Mercedes and others have relatively bad reliability records.

FYI, I have never heard of any car "sputtering" on a 1/4 tank of gas unless it was being driven insanely hard, usually on a race track. Is that what Audi dealers truly believe their owners are doing?
    Hopefully you'll get a satisfactory answer and help from your Audi dealership next time the glitches happen.