Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti Q45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 97 Infiniti Q45 with 95K miles on it. Recently changed the spark plugs on it at firestone ( I know ... Big mistake). They used Bosch Platinum Plugs...
    I had originally started a thread for my issue but someone suggested that I search for this thread, and the symptoms described by Renkema pretty much mirror what I'm expreriencing.
    I started having the problems after driving for 500 miles on the new spark plugs.... So it wasn’t instantaneous.
    I have taken it to Autozone couple of times, the first time they diagnosed the following codes
    P0300 Random Misfire
    P0325 Knock Sensor, Bank 1
    P0330 Knock Sensor, Bank 2

So I took the car back to Firestone and asked them to check it out... They said the problems were not related to spark plugs - they performed their diagnostics and said everything looked fine.... So they disabled the codes and charged me $85 . This was about 2 weeks back...
    But I still continued to experience the symptoms- surprisingly Firestone tech's could not see the same ???
    Since the check engine light was not coming on I neglected the symptoms and drove, but few Days back the Check engine light came back on so I took it to Autozone again- this time the following codes showed up in their Diagnostics.

P0110 IAT Sensor

So I went back to Firestone one more time.... They said that they would charge me $85 one more time to perform a diagnostic AND IF the problem was not related to Spark plugs work that they had done. I decided not to get the diagnostics done until I had a better understanding of this issue, hence I'm here asking for your help and suggestions.

I also read a post on NICO CLub form that someone had a similar problem and it started after throttle body cleaning service by the dealer- but I have no knowledge of this service being performed by firestone.
    My question is
    1. How do i convince Firestone that the spark plugs that they used are not suitable for a Infinit Q45.
    I have a 97 Infiniti Q45 with 95K miles on it. Recently changed the spark plugs on it at firestone ( I know ... Big mistake). They used Bosch Platinum Plugs...
    I had originally started a thread for my issue but someone suggested that I search for this thread, and the symptoms described by Renkema pretty much mirror what I'm expreriencing.
    I started having the problems after driving for 500 miles on the new spark plugs.... So it wasn’t instantaneous.
    I have taken it to Autozone couple of times, the first time they diagnosed the following codes
    P0300 Random Misfire

So I took the car back to Firestone and asked them to check it out... They said the problems were not related to spark plugs - they performed their diagnostics and said everything looked fine.... So they disabled the codes and charged me $85 . This was about 2 weeks back...
    But I still continued to experience the symptoms- surprisingly Firestone tech's could not see the same ???
    Since the check engine light was not coming on I neglected the symptoms and drove, but few Days back the Check engine light came back on so I took it to Autozone again- this time the following codes showed up in their Diagnostics.

P0110 IAT Sensor

So I went back to Firestone one more time.... They said that they would charge me $85 one more time to perform a diagnostic AND IF the problem was not related to Spark plugs work that they had done. I decided not to get the diagnostics done until I had a better understanding of this issue, hence I'm here asking for your help and suggestions.

I also read in a post on NICO CLUB that a similar problem arose after throttle body cleaning service by the dealer- but I have no knowledge of this service being performed by firestone.

couple of questions here:
    1. Could this be a problem related to the spark plugs that I got changed, if so how do i convince firestone about it, and the fact that they are not supposed to be using Bosch Plugs on an infiniti Q45. I mean is there any documentation that i could show them to point that they used the wrong plugs. All i have come across is opinion based on individual experiences, but havent seen any results from test/analysis etc performed on bosch plugs.

2. If the problem is not related to Spark plugs, any suggestions/ideas/direction of why the car is experiencing this problem ?

TIA
    MK
  • maymanjmaymanj Posts: 10
    I found it on the internet under spark plug testers. Not sure of name. The theory is: When the insulation gets old and there is a path for spark breakdown to the block,that spark creates an RF field that lights the neon bulb. So it jumps to the block before it gets to the plug;therefore that cylinder won't fire-or weak. Very much like RF Field strength meters they use in the Cell Phone industry.When my Infinity Dealer saw it work he bought one and has used it ever since.
    Jerry
  • maymanjmaymanj Posts: 10
    Now my P.S. is 100% shot . Turning the wheel is like driving without PS. used up 15 oz of fluid.Could Pump be shot? I hope to get the high pressue hose replace today (THUR). On my 1st trip to the Dealer he couldn't find leak,but cleaned it up and asked me to drive it a few more days to find leak. Could the fluid with "stop-leak" gum -up the pump? well I hope dealer can fix it today.
    Jerry
  • abl28abl28 Posts: 1
    I've had my '95 Q45 for about a year now. Over the past 4 weeks or so, I've noticed that the car has a delay when shifting from reverse to drive. . .like it sits in neutral before kicking into drive. The transmission also starts to whine (high pitch, sounds rotating) when accelerating quickly. . .any thoughts on what this may be? thanks
  • elwessoelwesso Posts: 42
    have you checked your trans fluid level? Sounds like the transmission could be heading southward.

Nissantech, thanks for the compliments. I seem to remember seeing you somewhere, but I can't remember exactly where, something stands out in my memory about you though.
  • waliswalis Posts: 35
    Hi...can someone please give me a list of chain guides I'd need to change mine in a '92 Q45. They seem to have several guides...right and left cramshaft, oil pump and many more. Which ones do I need to get. Any help is greatly appreciated!
  • How do I locate the ballast for the R/H side headlamp on my 02 Infiniti Q45? Once I locate it, how do I replace it?
  • I have a 2000 Q45 and the auto-up on the driver window was not closing properly and I was having air noise on the highway. So, I took the door panel off and reset the regulator as defined in the Tech manual (put window all the way up manually, hold in the reset switch on the window regulator while manually putting the window in the down position, release the button and manually put in the up position).

Well, now my window does not work on auto-up at all - thought I can manually put it up. While resetting the window with the reset switch, I heard a clicking sound for several raises and lowering of the window and since then, auto-up is not functioning.

Any suggestions? Do I now need a new regulator?
  • Can I get a copy of any paperwork where Infiniti acknowledges this issue? I have a 99 q45t with the same problem. So far I have had to replace numbers 3 and 6 at my expense yet the rough idle, poor performace continues.
  • Well, I hope you are not questioning the fact that I had my 97 Q45 repaired by Orlando Infiniti. My bill clearly states that my " Coil-On PLUG" 's were replaced. I spent 35 years in the Aerospace business. It was not unusual for high voltage insulators to fail. It's the dielectric constant breakdown due to : heat stress,mechanical vibration and other factors. It's called material scienceWhen their shop manager used that radiation detector to find the bad units it only took a microsecond for the Japanese Factory Engineer to understand that it was a QUALITY CONTROL ISSUE.Yes the GM, PETER WILSON REPLACED MINE. Send him a letter. My Q runs like a clock. JERRY
  • Nope, not questioning it at all. To get Infiniti of Memphis to do the same for me I would need to show them where Infiniti is acknowledging the issue. Infiniti of Memphis has the attitude of "when it breaks, tow it back to us." That is a direct quote. They have had my Q45 four times for this issue. So yes, a copy would help my case here in Memphis. The local Nissan dealer has the same attitude. Two independent garages can not find the problem either.
  • hey all. My 92 Q has had the hicas indicator lit up for the past couple months. I know its got something to do with the 4 wheel steering system but still not sure whats going on since the car still seems to drive and steer ok. Any thoughts on what it could be or how much it could cost to fix. I got my Q in october with 120,000 mi and 1 owner.
  • check your fluid level.
  • joesrjoesr Posts: 17
    The only time the hicas light came on in my 94 Q45t (which my Son now has) is when the fluid is low in the fluid cannister. - As I recall it takes a particular type of power steering fluid (manual should indicate type).
  • joesrjoesr Posts: 17
    My Son let the brake pads wear to the point of the worn brake pad warning light come on in his 94 Q45t. - We replaced the pads w/Infiniti pads and have been unable to get light out. - He went on this forum some months ago and followed recommendation of shorting the sensor wire, but was not sucessful. - I removed brake sensor and shorted as he did and light persists.

Any thoughts?
  • Just noticed today that the SLIP and TCS lights come on after about 10 minutes of driving. When I turn car off, and restart, they go away.

The car is driving fine. Any idea what this could be?

Thanks.
  • thats exacly what it was. i added just a few pours of fluid and the light went out right when i started the car. the dipstick in the cannister was completely dry. I just wish the guys at jiffy lube would have told me that with the complementary fluid check that they supposedly give with my $70 oil change.
  • I just bought a 95 Q45 from a good friend of mine. It's really a nice looking car. I was running fine until I had the car do the coolant and transmission fluid flushes. It started to leak a bit of coolant. The mechanic claimed the coolant flush might have flushed out the deposit which temporarily prevented the leak. So I had a new radiator and thermostatic installed. At the same time, I replaced 3 belts since they are about to wear out. Now, no leaking but when I turn on AC, car starts to overheat. I would like to learn more before I talk to the mechanic. Please help.
  • I would say that its the TCS relays... Theres 2 relays under the battery.
  • waliswalis Posts: 35
    Hi, I have a quick question: is a 1996 Q45t driveshaft with center bearing better than the one on my 1992 Q45? I have a good chance to obtain one from a friend and I want to know if it's worth changing. Thanks a lot!