Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1996 - 2001 First Generation Honda CR-Vs

lisanlisan Posts: 3
I'm looking into buying a 99 Honda CR-V. Most the reviews I read are pretty good, but it has high miles. (123,135) Does anyone have a 99 CR-V or one that's got a lot of miles on it? How much more life does it have in it? I don't want to buy it if it isn't going to last me awhile.

Thanks!

Comments

• hoordershoorders Posts: 4
    Hi........im new to this site and seems like there is plenty of great info.
    Im having a problem with my 97 crv. On warm days it like to run real hot.....the temp gauge keeps rising and rising and the fan on the rad on't come on. I checked the fuses and they are fine....im wondering maybe if its the sensor?.....and where is that sensor?......if anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate it....thanks!!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You may want to try the Honda CR-V Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion.

tidester, host
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    Rather than say "older CR-V", why not create forums for "Gen 1 CR-V" and "Gen 2 CR-V"?
    Great idea! I changed the title.

Am I correct - first generation goes from '96 to '01?

tidester, host
  • First model year for the US is '97.. Not sure about elsewhere, though...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Thanks, Walt. I had to do a little digging but it looks like the first model year was '96 when it was introduced in Japan and made its debut in North America in February of '97. At least, that is according to this article.

tidester, host
  • I don't even know cars go in generations... that's why I didn't title it that way. Sorry. BUT anyway, back on track, does anyone know how much more life the CR-V has in it once it's hit that many miles???? (Which was in fact the point of the post.)
  • Will someone please tell me if this CR-V has more life in it? I WANT to be an educated buyer, not get duped into buying a vehicle that's not going to last.
  • I believe that it will last you a long time. I have a family member that has a 2000 Honda CR-V with well over 200,000 miles, and it is still runing great. I have a 2001 CR-V with 123,000 miles on it, and runs as good as when I bought it.
  • Hi - I'm the original owner of a 2000 CRV LX 2WD and it has 73,000 miles. At <30,000 miles the transmission would not shift out of 1st gear. Still under warranty Honda replaced the transmission. The replacement transmission now has approx. 43,000 miles and it seems to be slipping when going into 3rd gear. Honda says I need ANOTHER new transmission. What's up with that? The 2nd transmission is out of warranty but Honda will split the cost of replacement. My cost will be $1,000. Has anyone had similar problems? Would taking it AAMCO be wise? Any insight/info/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks - MLJ
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    Two Honda transmissions? I'm sure you won't like it but I have to wonder if it's something you are doing. Transmissions go bad. Honda has had problems with certain vehicles but AFAIK the 1G CR-V was not one of them. I guess it could just be bad luck.

FWIW I have not heard things about AAMCO. I'm sure there are forums here that mention them.
  • I've also wondered if it's something I'm doing but what could it be? I thought the timing of the 1st transmission break-down was suspicious as that very morning I had taken it in for an oil change and they tried to sell me their transmission service. I politely declined and 4 hours later my tranny breaks????? The Honda dealership has not mentioned possible user error..... I'd like this next transmission to last at least 50K. Suggestions?
  • Hi All,

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2001 EX model CR-V as my daily driver. I've found a couple with around 100k miles. Should I be concerned about the high mileage? Especially since my commute from home to work is 42 miles each way.

This would be my first Honda and I know they are known for their reliability and quality but I wanted to get your thoughts.

Is there anything specific I should look out for or ask? I'm sure that at 100k miles there are a list of things that should be inspected or replaced.

Lastly, what kind of life do you think I can expect from this vehicle? I know that depends on a lot of variables but I live in the midwest, drive conservatively, and take care of my things.

Thanks!
  • blaze07blaze07 Posts: 10
    I have a 2001 Honda CR-V EX that I use almost daily in the evenings with over 123,000 miles on it. My mother delievers mail in it all the time, which adds up to over 100 miles a day, and it still runs great. It has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever had.

With high mileage, it would be a good idea to make sure that the brakes are still in good condition. I would also recommed getting the big tune-up, it made a difference in mine.

I spend a lot of time taking care of it, not because it needs it, but because I like my vehicles to look as good as possible. Also, I would recommend putting a protectant on the bumpers to avoid any fading issues. In general, it's not that hard to take care of.

If you have any more questions, I will be happy to answer them as best I can.
  • I have a '97 CR-V with 130K on it. The car runs like the day I drove it home from the dealer almost ten years ago. Not a dollar spent on anything other than scheduled maintenance. I plan on giving it to my son next spring when he gets his license. Good luck.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Hi - I'm the original owner of a 2000 CRV LX 2WD and it has 73,000 miles. At <30,000 miles the transmission would not shift out of 1st gear. Still under warranty Honda replaced the transmission. The replacement transmission now has approx. 43,000 miles and it seems to be slipping when going into 3rd gear. Honda says I need ANOTHER new transmission. What's up with that? The 2nd transmission is out of warranty but Honda will split the cost of replacement. My cost will be $1,000. Has anyone had similar problems? Would taking it AAMCO be wise? Any insight/info/advice will be appreciated. Thanks - MLJ </i>

What kind and how often do you replace the tranny fluid in your vehicle?
  • mljcrvmljcrv Posts: 4
    With 43,000 miles on this transmission I've only had the fluid changed once at the dealership.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    With 43,000 miles on this transmission I've only had the fluid changed once at the dealership.

I assume they replaced it at 30,000 miles with Genuine Honda ATF. Honda does have transmission issues with higher toruqe and horsepower engines and automatic trannies, but not with the 146 hp, 130 ft. lbs engines. Do you have a supercharger or a turbocharger?
  • mljcrvmljcrv Posts: 4

I assume they replaced it at 30,000 miles with Genuine Honda ATF. Honda does have transmission issues with higher toruqe and horsepower engines and automatic trannies, but not with the 146 hp, 130 ft. lbs engines. Do you have a supercharger or a turbocharger?

No - nothing fancy. They did tell me that the replacement transmission was re-built but I got the impression that was pretty standard.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Not really a problem.

Consider this... the longer a vehicle is in production, the more time the manufacturer has to work out the kinks and bugs. The 1st generation CR-V had a six year run. As mentioned above, it was put into production back in the model year 1996.

Furthermore, production of that generation never changed facilities. All CR-Vs shipped to the US at the time came from the same factory. So, by 2000 or 2001, that factory had a good deal of experience with the CR-V.

I put 114,000 miles on my 1999 EX 5MT over the course of 7 years and never had significant problems with it. For years, this generation of the CR-V was also the top rated vehicle on Consumer Reports reliability rankings.

So, if you're purchasing a 2000 or 2001 CR-V, you're getting a vehicle which has all the advantages a vehicle can have (in terms of reliability). That does not guarantee a good car, but you can't buy one with better odds.