Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1996 - 2001 First Generation Honda CR-Vs

lisanlisan Member Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Honda
I'm looking into buying a 99 Honda CR-V. Most the reviews I read are pretty good, but it has high miles. (123,135) Does anyone have a 99 CR-V or one that's got a lot of miles on it? How much more life does it have in it? I don't want to buy it if it isn't going to last me awhile.

Thanks!

Comments

• hoordershoorders Member Posts: 4
    Hi........im new to this site and seems like there is plenty of great info.
    Im having a problem with my 97 crv. On warm days it like to run real hot.....the temp gauge keeps rising and rising and the fan on the rad on't come on. I checked the fuses and they are fine....im wondering maybe if its the sensor?.....and where is that sensor?......if anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate it....thanks!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to try the Honda CR-V Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion.

tidester, host
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Rather than say "older CR-V", why not create forums for "Gen 1 CR-V" and "Gen 2 CR-V"?
    Great idea! I changed the title.

Am I correct - first generation goes from '96 to '01?

tidester, host
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    First model year for the US is '97.. Not sure about elsewhere, though...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks, Walt. I had to do a little digging but it looks like the first model year was '96 when it was introduced in Japan and made its debut in North America in February of '97. At least, that is according to this article.

tidester, host
  • lisanlisan Member Posts: 3
    I don't even know cars go in generations... that's why I didn't title it that way. Sorry. BUT anyway, back on track, does anyone know how much more life the CR-V has in it once it's hit that many miles???? (Which was in fact the point of the post.)
  • lisanlisan Member Posts: 3
    Will someone please tell me if this CR-V has more life in it? I WANT to be an educated buyer, not get duped into buying a vehicle that's not going to last.
  • blaze07blaze07 Member Posts: 10
    I believe that it will last you a long time. I have a family member that has a 2000 Honda CR-V with well over 200,000 miles, and it is still runing great. I have a 2001 CR-V with 123,000 miles on it, and runs as good as when I bought it.
  • mljcrvmljcrv Member Posts: 4
    Hi - I'm the original owner of a 2000 CRV LX 2WD and it has 73,000 miles. At <30,000 miles the transmission would not shift out of 1st gear. Still under warranty Honda replaced the transmission. The replacement transmission now has approx. 43,000 miles and it seems to be slipping when going into 3rd gear. Honda says I need ANOTHER new transmission. What's up with that? The 2nd transmission is out of warranty but Honda will split the cost of replacement. My cost will be $1,000. Has anyone had similar problems? Would taking it AAMCO be wise? Any insight/info/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks - MLJ
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Two Honda transmissions? I'm sure you won't like it but I have to wonder if it's something you are doing. Transmissions go bad. Honda has had problems with certain vehicles but AFAIK the 1G CR-V was not one of them. I guess it could just be bad luck.

FWIW I have not heard things about AAMCO. I'm sure there are forums here that mention them.
    I've also wondered if it's something I'm doing but what could it be? I thought the timing of the 1st transmission break-down was suspicious as that very morning I had taken it in for an oil change and they tried to sell me their transmission service. I politely declined and 4 hours later my tranny breaks????? The Honda dealership has not mentioned possible user error..... I'd like this next transmission to last at least 50K. Suggestions?
  • wrxtcwrxtc Member Posts: 9
    Hi All,

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2001 EX model CR-V as my daily driver. I've found a couple with around 100k miles. Should I be concerned about the high mileage? Especially since my commute from home to work is 42 miles each way.

This would be my first Honda and I know they are known for their reliability and quality but I wanted to get your thoughts.

Is there anything specific I should look out for or ask? I'm sure that at 100k miles there are a list of things that should be inspected or replaced.

Lastly, what kind of life do you think I can expect from this vehicle? I know that depends on a lot of variables but I live in the midwest, drive conservatively, and take care of my things.

Thanks!
  • blaze07blaze07 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2001 Honda CR-V EX that I use almost daily in the evenings with over 123,000 miles on it. My mother delievers mail in it all the time, which adds up to over 100 miles a day, and it still runs great. It has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever had.

With high mileage, it would be a good idea to make sure that the brakes are still in good condition. I would also recommed getting the big tune-up, it made a difference in mine.

I spend a lot of time taking care of it, not because it needs it, but because I like my vehicles to look as good as possible. Also, I would recommend putting a protectant on the bumpers to avoid any fading issues. In general, it's not that hard to take care of.

If you have any more questions, I will be happy to answer them as best I can.
  • pictonepictone Member Posts: 3
    I have a '97 CR-V with 130K on it. The car runs like the day I drove it home from the dealer almost ten years ago. Not a dollar spent on anything other than scheduled maintenance. I plan on giving it to my son next spring when he gets his license. Good luck.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Hi - I'm the original owner of a 2000 CRV LX 2WD and it has 73,000 miles. At <30,000 miles the transmission would not shift out of 1st gear. Still under warranty Honda replaced the transmission. The replacement transmission now has approx. 43,000 miles and it seems to be slipping when going into 3rd gear. Honda says I need ANOTHER new transmission. What's up with that? The 2nd transmission is out of warranty but Honda will split the cost of replacement. My cost will be $1,000. Has anyone had similar problems? Would taking it AAMCO be wise? Any insight/info/advice will be appreciated. Thanks - MLJ </i>

What kind and how often do you replace the tranny fluid in your vehicle?
    With 43,000 miles on this transmission I've only had the fluid changed once at the dealership.
    With 43,000 miles on this transmission I've only had the fluid changed once at the dealership.

I assume they replaced it at 30,000 miles with Genuine Honda ATF. Honda does have transmission issues with higher toruqe and horsepower engines and automatic trannies, but not with the 146 hp, 130 ft. lbs engines. Do you have a supercharger or a turbocharger?

I assume they replaced it at 30,000 miles with Genuine Honda ATF. Honda does have transmission issues with higher toruqe and horsepower engines and automatic trannies, but not with the 146 hp, 130 ft. lbs engines. Do you have a supercharger or a turbocharger?

No - nothing fancy. They did tell me that the replacement transmission was re-built but I got the impression that was pretty standard.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Not really a problem.

Consider this... the longer a vehicle is in production, the more time the manufacturer has to work out the kinks and bugs. The 1st generation CR-V had a six year run. As mentioned above, it was put into production back in the model year 1996.

Furthermore, production of that generation never changed facilities. All CR-Vs shipped to the US at the time came from the same factory. So, by 2000 or 2001, that factory had a good deal of experience with the CR-V.

I put 114,000 miles on my 1999 EX 5MT over the course of 7 years and never had significant problems with it. For years, this generation of the CR-V was also the top rated vehicle on Consumer Reports reliability rankings.

So, if you're purchasing a 2000 or 2001 CR-V, you're getting a vehicle which has all the advantages a vehicle can have (in terms of reliability). That does not guarantee a good car, but you can't buy one with better odds.
  • willfirstwillfirst Member Posts: 1
    1. when I make sharp left turn, the left front wheel makes squeeming noise against the road even after I did four wheel alignment( I hit that wheel on the curve before).
    2. I had a hard time to start the car, and I could hear the clicking sound. I let the car o/n, this morning I push the gas twice, and try to start the car while push a little gas, eventually it started. ( new battery, 43000 miles, 2001 Honda crv)
    3. the dealer want me to change tires, I just read Yokohoma is better, any idea?
    thanks
    You may want to look into Honda CRV Engine Stalling and Honda CR-V Tires & Wheels.

tidester, host
  • helpme12helpme12 Member Posts: 1
    I'm attempting to repalce the main relay on my '97 CR-V. I've read its located under the dash but am having a difficult time finding its exact location.
  • 1970219702 Member Posts: 1
    Replace your differential fluid. check out hondasuv.com.
  • swvswv Member Posts: 7
    My 1999 CR-V has 148,500 miles and is still going strong. I wish I knew how much more life it has, but it probably has a lot.

It has been a great car.

swvsings
  • eforce2eforce2 Member Posts: 13
    Try the wiring coming from the fan in the radiator to the engine. Try to bleed some coolant in the raditor and add some 100% coolant to raise the coolant concentration to make it run cooler.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    1st be very careful w/hot coolant! When you car is cold check the auxiliary coolant plastic bottle and see if it is up to the proper level. You could,again on a cold engine,check the radiator and see if it's full. You should be using honda brand coolant. It comes premixed so you don't have to add H20. Hope this helps.
  • crvme3crvme3 Member Posts: 140
    Sounds as if we need a little cooling system 101... 1st check coolant level in resovoir bottle with engine cold, if o.k. check radiator coolant level by removing cap (again do this only with engine cold) if low add Honda pre-mix coolant and proceed to have system pressure tested for leaks. If full then further diagnosis is needed. other possible causes of your concern are: faulty radiator cap! (modern systems require pressurized closed system to function correctly) faulty fan sensor! (this is easy to test by bypassing wiring at sensor & see if fan operates... sensor generally is located on lower portion of radiator) Clogged or partially restricted radiator! since you indicated it runs hot on hot days you may have a circulation issue... A thermal heat gun is a real handy tool for locating cold spots in radiator. Radiator should read approx. the same uniform tempurature top to bottom as well as right to left. Thermostat may not be opening correctly. This can be tested by use of a thermometer in radiator neck (cap removed) & running engine to operating temp & checking to see is coolant flow thru radiator is good & moving, or can be removed & put in boiling water to determine if it is opening or not. Hope this helps you in you quest to find cause of overheating. :)
  • hoordershoorders Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for everyones replies.

It ended up being a bad fan.............I ran a direct line to the fan and it would not come on........picked a used one up from the wreckes and she is good to go.

Thanks again!
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Good Job! How many miles does the car have?
    Go for it...100k is still good and will run like new once you tune up the car (new spark plug wire, spark plug, rotor and cover) and . Just make sure the timing belt is new-including the water pump then do the other thing one by one if you can do it yourself like transmission oil, gear oil and coolant.
    it's sad you have this kind of problem... did you ever tow your vehicle with your ignition set to off. I 'm just curious because I remember some CRV owner with this towing problem that CRV can only be tow when the ignition is set to on of it will break the transmission. I think there is a recall about this.
  • ashleyhayesashleyhayes Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    Looking at a few CR-Vs to buy, about year 1999/2000. Hope this not a stupid question but what features are associated with each of the CR-V codes.
    etc:
    RSVi
    Si
    GLi

If it makes a difference it will be a Ireland/UK version.

Any info appreciated.
    Thanks
    A
    Hi all,
    Looking at a few CR-Vs to buy, about year 1999/2000. Hope this not a stupid question but what features are associated with each of the CR-V codes.
    etc:
    RSVi
    Si
    GLi

If it makes a difference it will be a Ireland/UK version.

Any info appreciated.
    Thanks
    A

It make a lot of difference. In the US we get LX - lowest trim level. EX - middle trim level and SE/EX-L highest trim level. They all come with the same engine, and choice of tranny or AWD (LX). In 1999-2000 only LX was sold as 2WD, and was only avaialble as auto, while 5 spd manual was available on LX and EX AWD, and SE came with auto only.

Si is usually reserved for sports models (Sport Injected), the rest... You will need to get a hold of a brochure from 1999-2001 to get full details on what were the differences between trims.
  • ashleyhayesashleyhayes Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info blueiedgod.

Anyone know where I can find brochures for old European CR-Vs? Thought I found some the other day but don't understand Japanese!

Cheers
    A
  • stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    We found old owner's manuals for a ten year old accord on e-bay. worth a try.
  • caseyc2caseyc2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Honda CR-V LX 2WD... I have 251,423 miles on it... Only maintenance I've ever done to it is every 100,000 miles have the timing belt and spark plugs changed... never changed the transmission fluid... Still runs great!
  • suebugsuebug Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks,
    My car, a 1999 CRV, was either tampered with or slipped out of park INTO drive a few days ago while idling in my driveway. It then crashed through the gates to the backyard and made impact with the garage, doing considerable damage to the garage, but not to the car. There are scrapes on the bumper but not one dent! The only other way we can think of, that this may have happened, is that perhaps the car was ACTUALLY stuck between neutral and drive but then popped into drive.

:confuse:

Has this happened to ANYONE else? Thanks for your help!
    Hi Folks,
    My car, a 1999 CRV, was either tampered with or slipped out of park INTO drive a few days ago while idling in my driveway. It then crashed through the gates to the backyard and made impact with the garage, doing considerable damage to the garage, but not to the car. There are scrapes on the bumper but not one dent! The only other way we can think of, that this may have happened, is that perhaps the car was ACTUALLY stuck between neutral and drive but then popped into drive.

Has this happened to ANYONE else? Thanks for your help!

Did you engage the parking brake?
    NO AND it was on a slight incline.
    NO AND it was on a slight incline.

If I were the police officer at the scene, I would have issued tickets for failure to secure the vehicle.

Having automatic transmission does not mean you don't need to apply parking brake. Plus, having the parking brake on takes the stress off the tranny, prolonging its life.
  • arigarig Member Posts: 4
    i had a 1998 cr-v with 136 000km amd had a blockage in transmision but best car in world and recomened to any 1 and they never die!
  • kregiskregis Member Posts: 1
    i also own a crv which now has 172,000 miles and runs harder than ever. the only thing that ever gave me problems (other than replacing the belts and water pump) was the thermostat. i plan to do some motor upgrades to put me closer to the 200hp range
    I'll take note of the parking break comment in so much as it takes the stress off the transmission. Thanks! The ticket... ARE you a police officer? We didn't actually call the police, just the home owners. Kind of difficult to prove someone tampered with our car, in our driveway, crashing into our garage.

SO... I guess the answer to my question is NO... no one has ever had gear slippage issues and YES it was probably the group of smart-ss kids across the street who shifted the car into drive.

Thanks.
  • goherd27goherd27 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Honda CRV with about 128k miles. I have recently noticed two problems that may or may not be related.

The air conditioner from time to time but rarely will not turn on. It will not blow air, hot or cold. Usually after turning it off and waiting about 5 minutes it will come on and work fine.

Possibly related, when the air conditioner is on, the car idles pretty hard sputtering at times as if it might stop. It immediately returns to the correct idle if the air conditioner is turned off.

I am not sure if this is related to the compressor problems others have spoken about but any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • baileysmom1baileysmom1 Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Honda CRV stalls intermittently. I can limp along for awhile by playing with the gas and brake then it is fine. I had the fuel filter replaced but it didn't solve the problem. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks!
    My 1999 Honda CRV stalls intermittently. I can limp along for awhile by playing with the gas and brake then it is fine. I had the fuel filter replaced but it didn't solve the problem. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks!

Information about mileage should help. But, the valves on that engine need to be adjusted every 30,000 miles. If they have not been adjusted, they get tighter and push the valve seats into the soft aluminum head and the valves start to burn. Once the valves are burnt, you get stalling issues. The cost to replace the head on this engine is about $3000 from Honda.

But, you may be in luck. If you have the Owner's manual and is says that valves don't need to be adjusted until 105,000 miles and you are under that mileage, you may have a leg to stand on to have Honda to foot the bill.

1) Check the owner's manual for valve adjustment intervlas.
    2) If it says 105,000 miles or 90,000 miles and you are under that mileage. Take it to the dealer.
    3) Have the dealer do diagnosis, usually $80.
    4) When they tell you that the valves are burnt and you need a new head, call Honda corporate (the number is in the manual)
    5) They will open a case, and depending on how nice you are and how many Hondas you have owned in the past, they may cover it 100% or have you pay for labor.

Good luck.

P.S. Register with Honda Owner's link (on Hondas main website), enter you VIN number to see if the ignition swtich recall has been done.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Clean the throttle body.
  • faz3168faz3168 Member Posts: 1
    my 1998 CR-V (mileage 85,000 miles) vibrates continuously when I stopped at traffic light. It vibrates even more in "P" than in "D". Can anyone help me with this problem???
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    Perhaps you've got a bad engine mount.
This discussion has been closed.