Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gadgetology - Marketing or Useful Advance

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Ummmmm, to be perfectly honest I don't recall exactly. I think it was on this generation 9-5 ?

It was one of their tag-lines in a commercial also.

Rocky
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,560
    Hm OK. I am pretty sure MB had it in the S in 2000, but 9-5 does date to 1999.
    I could be wrong fintail, but for some reason my "gut" is telling me that pal.

Rocky
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Ran across a new one today rocky:

Door panel mood lighting. Check out Edmund's First Drive of the new Mini Cooper S and then look at photo 11 of 15.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=117072?tid=edm- unds.il.home.photopanel..1.*#20
    Now that is useful. A true bachelors car, eh ? :blush:

Rocky
    I wasn't making any sort of editorial comments about door panel mood lighting (would I do such a thing? :blush: )

Just noting "where THERE'S something I haven't seen before" and thought you'd appreciate it.....

As far as the 'bachelors car' comment, ummmmmm.......I don't think I have the flexibility to even ATTEMPT something like that in a Mini...... :surprise:
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    #1 - Turning Headlights - I've seen this on a few cars where when you are going around turns the lights move to face the direction you are turning. I think this should be place in the "Needs to be on every vehicle" category.

#2 - Rear Camera's - I understand with the backing the SUV / Truck's up it helps to see, But unless it has the fancy slide clean ability like the NASCAR in-car camera's have I can see (or not see) during the winter months when you get all the salt / slush on the back of your car they won't make a difference. File this under the "Nice, but do we need it?" category.

What's next Mercedes taking the Grand Caravan and smacking their symbol on the front and calling it a Luxury MiniVan with 1st / 2nd row 8 Way power , and 3rd row Full power StoNgo folding seats? Oh and they will charge at least $52k for it. :P

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    Vehicles sharing data can prevent crashes

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061018/AUTO01/610180350

rorr, buddy now this is really useful gadgetology pal :shades:

Rocky

P.S. Everyone should read this article !!!!
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,700
    I think at speeds over 35? the rears turn in the same direction as the fronts to maintain stability when changing lanes.

I don't think so because if they did it would make for a very interesting drive once the highway curves.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

Well, it would make for an interesting scenario if the rears steered at the same RATE as the fronts......however, most 4ws systems that I'm aware of steer the rears to a much less degree than the fronts (when both turn in the same direction).
    however, most 4ws systems that I'm aware of steer the rears to a much less degree than the fronts (when both turn in the same direction).

Yes that is correct (4WS system) but it does work very well. Look at the big ol' Infiniti M45 for a good reference. ;)

Rocky
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,700
    All the 4Ws systems I am aware of turn the rear wheels opposite of the front.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

snake, I believe you are correct pal. ;)

Rocky
    "All the 4Ws systems I am aware of turn the rear wheels opposite of the front."

.....at low speed.

From wiki:

"Four-wheel steering (or all wheel steering) is a system employed by some vehicles to increase vehicle stability while maneuvering at high speed, or to decrease turning radius at low speed.

In most four-wheel steering systems, the rear wheels are steered by a computer and actuators. The rear wheels generally cannot turn as far as the front wheels.

Sports cars sometimes include 4-wheel steering for stability at high speeds. When performing an abrupt lane change at highway speeds, for example, a car with four-wheel steering will avoid rear suspension loading common in 2-wheel steering cars. Because the rear wheels steer in the same direction as the front wheels, the car is transitioned more gently into turning.

Alternatively, several systems (including Delphi's Quadrasteer and the system in Honda's Prelude line) allow for the rear wheels to be steered in the opposite direction as the front wheels during low speeds. This allows the vehicle to turn in a significantly smaller radius—sometimes critical for large trucks or vehicles with trailers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4WS#Cars_with_four_wheel_steering
    Thanx for the post rorr. :) I as most of you know am a huge advocate of more 4-Wheel Steering Systems to be available on the market. The greatest example was the Dodge Stealth TT because it used All-Wheel Drive also to further enhance it's performance capability. I could only imagine what such a modern system could be capable of today with a combo of both. ex. A Porsche 911 with AWD & 4WS. ;) :surprise:

I do think we will see it really soon because the rumor says the Nissan Skyline? GT-R will have TT 450hp AWD & 4WS and I will be willing to bet that this will become the greatest modern sports car in the world at any price. ;) I will tell you this much, this GM fan would love to own a copy. If the GM-Nissan Merge would of worked out I just might of saved all my pennies and bought one. :D

Oh well maybe GM, upper management will make me a good alternative someday. Hopefully before my mid-life crisis hits. :P

http://www.nissanusa.com/gt-r/

Rocky
    "ex. A Porsche 911 with AWD & 4WS."

Well, they've been building the Carrara 4s for a while now. But you gotta ask yourself: knowing what those guys know, why DON'T they use 4ws? There's gotta be a reason.....

Look at those marques which are famous for handling (ie. Lotus, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc.). And then look at which ones use 4ws for high-speed handling. Zero.

Personally, I think 4ws is great for low-speed work to enhance manueverability of long vehicles (GM trucks comes to mind). But I think it's a waste for sports cars. It adds weight to the suspension (right where you DON'T want it), complexity (cost) for some rather dubious benefits. It sounds great on paper though.....
    Ok, I agree.... However before I totally concede I'm going to have to see the GT-R in action first before I personally write-off 4WS W/ AWD as a unuseful piece of "GADGETOLOGY" ;)

Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    You could move to Canada and kick out in a nice R32 GT-R.
    bumpy, lol that is true but I'd prefer the modern GT-R. Besides if I was going to buy a car like that I'd buy a 94-96' Dodge Stealth TT w/ low miles ;)

Rocky
    The Mitsubishi GTO and its clones are certainly formidable cars in their own right, but the R32 GT-R is that much better: 3200 pounds, 4ws, AWD, 8000 rpm redline, and 450-500 hp from the stock engine once you set the turbo boost up to what it was designed for.
    You can do the same with the Stealth, and the Dodge looks alot better than the R32, well at least in my eyes. ;)

Rocky
    Except for the weight thing; the GTO was 3600 and change.
    What the heck is a Mitsubishi GTO ? I know what a Pontiac GTO is but not a Mitsubishi ? :confuse:

Rocky
    All you had to say was 3000, and I would knew what you meant. :P

Neways thanx for the link ;)

Rocky
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    The Mitsubishi GTO is the Japan Model for the 3000Gt we had here. Next your gonna ask what is a Mitsu FTO.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    Next your gonna ask what is a Mitsu FTO.

I don't know if that was a joke, or you being serious ?

If it's not a joke, then lemme know what a FTO is ? :confuse:

Rocky
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,560
    Mitsu FTO

Another car not seen in NA...but they'll pop in Canada in a few years
    LOL, now thats a weird lookin' car. :surprise:

Rocky