Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gadgetology - Marketing or Useful Advance

124»

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,781
    While its rivals plunged ahead with advanced controls and abandoned trusty knobs and buttons, Chrysler has moved more slowly with its simpler Uconnect system.

"We've definitely seen a shift in terms of what breaks," said Jake Fisher, the director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center. He picked up his iPhone from a conference room table: "Now, it's this as opposed to transmissions and engines.

Chrysler, which introduced its Uconnect system in 2003, has been relatively quiet in marketing its technology compared with GM and Ford. The automaker has introduced updated versions of its touch screens into new models as they debut rather than blanketing its whole lineup with its latest up-to-date system."

Chrysler dodges touch screen woes by letting Ford blunder (Detroit News)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

A reporter is looking for any drivers out there who can discuss the creative ways they've tried to keep their car clutter-free. There are so many gadgets, toys for kids, stuff for pets and other goods carried along in vehicles today, and he'd like to know how you manage or organize all these things inside your car. If you think you have helpful tips or ideas, please let us know at pr@edmunds.com by Monday December 24th.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    Funny about your original post... I saw a vehicle today with the pushbutton tranmission. No crosswind detection yet though, but after Sandy... I bet its in the works... lol.

Odie
    I saw a vehicle today with the pushbutton tranmission

"And now, just a few months after the CUE system made its debut, we have two high-volume cars from Ford—the Fusion and the Lincoln MKZ—with consolidated touch-screen/capacitive switch panels. The MKZ panel, in particular, recommends itself as a sweeping banked console that flows between the front seats. The gear selector comprises a vertical row of P-R-N-D-S touch-screen buttons on the left of the central LCD touch screen (shades of the '64 Plymouth Valiant)."

There was a push button Valiant in my family growing up. :D

Rest of the article is a good summary of where the cockpit is headed in the next couple of years. Goodbye rotary dials.

Dash Away, Lexus! Seriously, Throw the Dash Away (Wall St. Journal)

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,776
    I just hate the shape of that upper center stack area. It's pseudo-artsy, kind of pretentious, good for the target buyer probably.
    Interesting note in the article about how the "prime" square foot in the center stack is pretty much the battleground for the automakers now.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,776
    It's where the excitement is, as not as many know or care about what is under the hood.
    "Individual driverless cars come with important opportunities for increased efficiency. Groups of driverless cars likewise have the potential for even greater collective efficiencies, for example through shared reduced drag. And driverless vehicles seamlessly connected to smart infrastructure offer even greater promise still.

Autonomous cars and a smart parking system could allocate parking spaces to the nearest vehicles in need of a spot, and vehicles could navigate to those spots directly and quickly, reducing the fuel consumption, emissions, and time associated with searching for a spot.

One giant elephant in the driverless car room is vehicle miles traveled (VMT). It’s tempting to believe that driverless cars will reduce VMTs through various efficiencies, but the opposite could also happen. In a highly autonomous vehicle future, we may do far more with our cars than we currently can."

Will Driverless Cars Decrease Fossil Fuel Consumption? (National Geographic)

I like the idea of your car dropping you off at work and then going to a parking garage six blocks away where there's space available on the 8th floor.

edited February 2013
    "General Motors Co. is expected to announce today a partnership with AT&T that will bring embedded 4G LTE mobile Internet access into most 2015 GM vehicles sold in the U.S. and Canada.

The Detroit automaker said the rollout, which first will be available to consumers in mid-2014 as they buy 2015 Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC vehicles, signifies the largest implementation of 4G LTE in vehicles to date."

GM, AT&T team to give vehicles high-speed Internet access by '15 (Detroit News)

BMW, Audi and Chrysler have made similar announcements in recent months.

edited April 2013
    "Toyota reached an agreement with Microsoft in April 2011, to work together on telematics, or network technology for cars.

It is unclear whether the site will really lead to car sales, but Toyota will be able to tap into data on consumer behavior, as well as try to revive Japanese people's fading interest in cars, he said."

Toyota, Microsoft beef up Gazoo.com Net service (Anchorage Daily News)

"Runaway 18-wheelers, death-defying motorcyclists and vehicular acrobatics that seem to defy the laws of physics have become a staple of YouTube, in large part a result of the availability of dashboard video cameras. It’s all entertaining, but there are also practical reasons for recording while driving.

Once plugged into a car’s 12-volt outlet, the Genius DVR-FHD590 automatically begins recording when the car is started and stops when the ignition is switched off. A built-in sensor will initiate emergency recording in the event of an accident, and the file remains stored until the owner deliberately deletes it. "

The one reviewed costs ~$120.

A Just-in-Case Provision for Incidents on the Road (NY Times)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    Do these devices do scheduled "clean-ups" once the disk is full?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Good question - maybe they start overwriting the older stuff? Could just get a bigger card to stick in the slot too.

"As the car has become more connected and consumers demand increased interaction between their mobile devices and their car, we have seen the number of auto manufactures at the International CES rise year after year,” said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO of the Consumer Electronics Association.

“CES touches every corner of the consumer technology economy, from digital health to automotive. We can’t wait to welcome a record number of automotive manufacturers to the 2014 CES.”

A record 9 automakers to exhibit at 2014 consumer electronics show (Detroit News)

edited November 2013
    "Siri Eyes Free was originally revealed in June 2012, and lets people issue voice commands to an iOS device through a wheel-mounted button, while keeping a device's screen off to avoid distractions and battery drain. iOS mirroring is a newer concept, a part of the iOS in the Car initiative Apple announced in June of this year. That technology should see more widespread adoption in 2014; Eyes Free has been slowly trickling out to automakers such as Audi, BMW, Chrysler, GM, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, and Toyota."

So, put your iPhone on the passenger seat and run the gasbuddy.app from the dash?

2014 Honda Civic Coupe to support iOS mirroring on dash display (electronista.com)

A reporter would like to speak to a new car buyer under 40 years old who purchased their car because of the connectivity features. Did you buy a Ford because of Sync and MyFordTouch, a Chrysler because of UConnect, a Honda because of HondaLink, etc.? If so, and you'd like to share your story, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than 3 p.m. PT/6 p.m. ET on Monday, 1/7/14.

124»