Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Extended Warranty Advice

2»

Comments

• dealer tried to pull some crap on me I think. when it came time to talk about the extended warranty he said there was some special going on where it was half price. he quoted me at $841 for 72 month/75k or $945 to get me to 84 month/75k. said that deal would expire at the end of the month. then when i was about to pull out he said "the deal could end any time"
    that should have set of my BS alarm right there, but it didn't.

I never buy something the day I learn about it, so I said I would consider it. I love forums like this, so now I know these are pretty standard rates and there is no deal, the guy was straight up full of it.

there are so many aspects to buying a new car, it can be overwhelming, with these forums help I think i got through it with a pretty good deal. thanks to everyone that shares information, it really helps.
  • I have tayota Corolla ce 07. I put in almost 750km/week. Is it worth buying an extended warranty for 1400CAD+tax. I am already at 59000km and I was told to decide before hitting 60,000 clicks. So far I had no any issues with the car since I bought!
  • I have tayota Corolla ce 07. I put in almost 750km/week. Is it worth buying an extended warranty for 1400CAD+tax. (5years/150000)I am already at 59000km and I was told to decide before hitting 60,000 clicks. So far I had no any issues with the car since I bought!
  • Thats a great price. Can you tell me where you got it from. What dealer and a phone number. I('m looking to buy two of them.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    I live in the North East, Allentown, PA to be exact. If this travel is feasible for you I can hook you up with the dealer. They were excellent to deal with and is was probably the best car buying experience I have ever had. Post to let me know and I can give you the details.
  • I just called a dealer in Faulkner PA. They quoted me $800.00 each + 6% tax $848.00. I bought two corollas.
    It is for the Platinum warranty 7 yrs. 100,000 miles 0 Deductible. How does that sound? Which warranty did you get that price on?
    Call Thompson Toyota in Doylestown, PA. Offer them $675.00 for the Platinum Warranty, that's what they quoted me on.
  • Actually I have an esc that has a wear and tear provision. It states that if a non covered part breaks and causes damage to a normally covered part they will all be covered. So that picks up an extra couple thousand parts and covers all the problems you are talking about.... and as for waiting... BAD IDEA! A warranty is the same as life insurance. The older it gets the more miles the longer you wait the more expensive the policy. once over 25K miles the cost goes up by $750. You can always cancel the policy if you trade or get out of it early!
    Sounds good but off hand I can't think of any case where this "wear and tear" provision would apply, do you have any examples?
  • Can one purchase a factory extended warranty from any dealer or do you have to purchase from the dealer where you purchased the car. My dealer's quote in Tulsa was 1300+.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    I tell everyone the same thing - don't buy an extended warranty. Invest the money you would have used to buy the warranty, and if something breaks, you'll have the money. But, more than likely, you will make the interest on the money and not have to spend any of it for unscheduled repairs during the same time period that you would have purchased the extended warranty.

I keep my Toyotas for at least 100,000 miles, and never buy extended warranties. I have never regretted it. $1,300 is a lot of money!!!

You can buy an extended warranty from any dealer.
    Your quote was very high. Please see my post # 31 in this very topic. I would just give them an offer of half that price and walk out and see what happens.
  • So, extended warranties are negotiable. I do recall that being the case with my 2002 Corolla.

On a new 2010 Corolla, manager didn't seem too negotiable on the price of extended warranty. I live in Canada. The manager actually said if I were to buy the extended warranty later, there would be an extra $300 cost of some sort. Anyone can shed some light on this?
  • I have an '07 Corolla CE with 88,000 km on it now. At 45,000km the water pump blew and at 50,000 the car started to run irratically at idle and they changed the intake manifold gasket (now made of plastic btw) but only after they changed the thottle body, the CPU etc. It's fixed now but I figure that especially with the CPU replacement that I would have paid thousands for this stuff. I purchased the 200,000 EPC warranty from Toyota for about $1,900 canadian.
    I never expected such problems with a Toyota.
    So basically you just got your up front $1900.00 back that you paid for the warranty? Really, with buying an extended warranty for a Toyota your chances are much greater that it WOULD be a waste of money then they would be for really having a major car problem or repair during the warranty period. So even if you WOULDN'T have purchased this warranty you would have just put out the $1900.00 later rather than sooner. That being said, your situation of a major repair (or any repair really) was highly unusual for a Toyota and a $1900.00 bank deposit would have been the gamblers choice with the better odds of a win.
  • maforermaforer Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Corolla. When I bought it I also paid $3000 for extended warranty. It is really useful to keep it? I consider It is a very high cost since Corolla's reliability is considered very good. Should I cancel such a warranty instead?
    No way - cancel it. Don't spend it all, but save it, just in case something does happen. Most likely, you will still have most of it after the extended warranty would have expired anyway. If you really insist on an extended warranty, I have read that people have bought them cheaper by shopping around vs. the dealer you bought the car from.
    OMG no ! Dump it, what a waste of money for a Toyota.
  • Just got a new Corolla and am immediately regretting the extended warranty. It was 1450 for 8 years / 100,000 miles. I decided to go for it since I live in northern New England and the cold and salt has beat up my car and repair costs around here are outrageous. Should I try to go back to the dealership and cancel the warranty?
    Yes, cancel it and put the $1,450 aside, just in case. Chances are, you will still have most, if not all, of the $1,450 after the warranty is up. Besides, the warranty doesn't cover everything.

You can check many sources, but you will find that just about everyone agrees that an extended warranty on a Corolla is not worth it.
2»