Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Extended Warranty Advice

Comments

• bcgirl62bcgirl62 Posts: 2
    Sounds like good advice.

We did just sell our 2001 Sienna. Never had a single problem with it until a few months ago when the a/c compressor went.....then a fuel sensor. Those were expensive repairs for us but it had 175 K on it when we sold it, so I think it was a good vehicle for us and we never had put an extended warranty on it. Our misgivings with the new car are regarding all the electronics...smart key, sunroof, etc. We haven't owned a vehicle before with this many gadgets.

I appreciate your response. What you said was basically what we've been thinking. Just wanted to get some impartial feedback.

Thanks!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Don't buy the extended warranty - just invest the money, watch it grow, and you'll have it just in case something happens. But more than likely, you'll still have your money AND some interest earnings. You've seen the results of your Sienna, excellent reliability. The electronics are not that new, by the way.

The dealer is just trying to make money.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    When you got to Best Buy or Circuit City all you see is Japanese electronics, not German. There's a reason for that.

I don't think an extended warranty is necessary either for this type of car. There's just no history of excessive electronics failures on Toyota (unlike SOME cars that will remain anonymous).

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Actually, what you see at Best Buy and Circuit City these days is mostly Chinese electronics (PRC or Taiwan). ;)

The main reason you don't see many German, or U.S. electronics in discount stores is they are too pricey.
    Do you think chinese electronics are in Japanese cars? I have no idea. Well hopefully the Chinese are building the electronics to Japanese specs and design.

I'm not sure the lack of German electronics is price related. People will buy quality but they won't buy something if it costs more but doesn't do anything better (or is maybe worse).

For some reason Japanese black boxes in their cars seem tougher than anybody else's. Go figure.

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Picked up my XLE today and was offered the seven year Platinum warranty. The price started at $1016.00 but by the time we were ready to leave they were down to $675.00 This is for the bumper to bumper warranty and I must say covers just about everything except general wear parts like wipers and brakes. I have owned other Toyota and have received excellant reliability from them. I never purchased any extra warranty but at this price of $675.00 I'm thinking about it considering the new electrinic steering and many other new electronics. They gave me the weekend to decide. Any ideas or suggestions?
    I guess I would suggest that you read the "bumper to bumper" warranty over very carefully.

Keep in mind that these extended "warranties" often express what they WILL cover, but don't list all the things they DON'T cover. It's up to you to figure out what they left off the list.

So by all means give it a good long read.

• aj2aj2 Posts: 12
    How long do you intend to keep this car? I did not buy the warranty with my car in 2005. I was offered the best warranty for something like 700.00 at that time. I decided I'd keep that amount in a bank account for needed reparis in the future, instead of the warranty.....and yah, keep in mind what it might actually cover for real in the future. I was also told by many that toyotas are often very reliable, and a lot of people don't purchase the warranty. Maybe if i'd bought mine used, i might have seriously considered it.
  • aj2aj2 Posts: 12
    one other thing...there is no need to purchase the warranty when you buy the car, you can wait until your 3 year warranty runs out-you'd get it before it runs out...just so you know. You can also be contacting Toyota dealerships across the country to get the best price on the warranty, you don't have to buy it at the same place you bought the car....I contacted places coast to coast to get prices for a warranty quote.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    The loophole to watch for in all car warranties is that breakdowns caused by a normal wear and tear malfunction is NOT covered by the warranty. For example, a radiator hose breaks and results in a loss of coolant. The vehicle overheats and you blow your engine. The radiator hose is considered normal wear and tear and the repair to the engine is likely not covered by the warranty. That's why I make sure I change the belts and hoses every 4 or 5 years or 50,000 miles whether or not I have an extended warranty.
  • dealer tried to pull some crap on me I think. when it came time to talk about the extended warranty he said there was some special going on where it was half price. he quoted me at $841 for 72 month/75k or $945 to get me to 84 month/75k. said that deal would expire at the end of the month. then when i was about to pull out he said "the deal could end any time"
    that should have set of my BS alarm right there, but it didn't.

I never buy something the day I learn about it, so I said I would consider it. I love forums like this, so now I know these are pretty standard rates and there is no deal, the guy was straight up full of it.

there are so many aspects to buying a new car, it can be overwhelming, with these forums help I think i got through it with a pretty good deal. thanks to everyone that shares information, it really helps.
  • I have tayota Corolla ce 07. I put in almost 750km/week. Is it worth buying an extended warranty for 1400CAD+tax. I am already at 59000km and I was told to decide before hitting 60,000 clicks. So far I had no any issues with the car since I bought!
  • I have tayota Corolla ce 07. I put in almost 750km/week. Is it worth buying an extended warranty for 1400CAD+tax. (5years/150000)I am already at 59000km and I was told to decide before hitting 60,000 clicks. So far I had no any issues with the car since I bought!
  • Thats a great price. Can you tell me where you got it from. What dealer and a phone number. I('m looking to buy two of them.
    I live in the North East, Allentown, PA to be exact. If this travel is feasible for you I can hook you up with the dealer. They were excellent to deal with and is was probably the best car buying experience I have ever had. Post to let me know and I can give you the details.
  • I just called a dealer in Faulkner PA. They quoted me $800.00 each + 6% tax $848.00. I bought two corollas.
    It is for the Platinum warranty 7 yrs. 100,000 miles 0 Deductible. How does that sound? Which warranty did you get that price on?
    Call Thompson Toyota in Doylestown, PA. Offer them $675.00 for the Platinum Warranty, that's what they quoted me on.
  • Actually I have an esc that has a wear and tear provision. It states that if a non covered part breaks and causes damage to a normally covered part they will all be covered. So that picks up an extra couple thousand parts and covers all the problems you are talking about.... and as for waiting... BAD IDEA! A warranty is the same as life insurance. The older it gets the more miles the longer you wait the more expensive the policy. once over 25K miles the cost goes up by $750. You can always cancel the policy if you trade or get out of it early!
    Sounds good but off hand I can't think of any case where this "wear and tear" provision would apply, do you have any examples?
  • Can one purchase a factory extended warranty from any dealer or do you have to purchase from the dealer where you purchased the car. My dealer's quote in Tulsa was 1300+.