Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix Tire/Wheel Questions

Are you experience abnormal tire wear? - I'm collecting data or tire wear for the Matrix.

My car is wearing the inner most tread only front and rear tires. And I am getting tire noise that increase with speed - it's annoying to say the least.

My mechanic says this is normal - yeah right!

-Marty

Comments

• aquawolfaquawolf Posts: 2
    I have an '03 XR FWD and I am in the market to buy a new set of tires. I've decided to purchase Bridgestone Turanzas - everything I've read about them has been extremely positive. Has anyone put these tires on their Matrix or know of someone who has? Also, I'm uncertain as to whether I should go with the H-rated (Turanza LS-H) or the V-rated (LS-V) tire. Will "upgrading" to the V-rating tire improve my car's handling/response or, given that the Matrix is wagon-like, should I just stick with the H-rated? My car is mainly driven in the city, with occassional trips (~1000 miles) a couple of times each year. Any comments are greatly appreciated!
  • aquawolfaquawolf Posts: 2
    I have an '03 XR FWD and I am in the market to buy a new set of tires. I've decided to purchase Bridgestone Turanzas - everything I've read about them has been extremely positive. Has anyone put these tires on their Matrix or know of someone who has? Also, I'm uncertain as to whether I should go with the H-rated (Turanza LS-H) or the V-rated (LS-V) tire. Will "upgrading" to the V-rating tire improve my car's handling/response or, given that the Matrix is wagon-like, should I just stick with the H-rated? My car is mainly driven in the city, with occassional trips (~1000 miles) a couple of times each year. Any comments are greatly appreciated! :)
  • bzedbzed Posts: 2
    My 2005 Matrix has only 24,000 kms on it (15,000 miles) and, to the shock of my mechanic at a recent oil change, the inside tread on all four tires is worn right down. Excessive vibration now occurs at speeds above 60 mph. To make matters worse, I change to winter tires every winter, so these Continentals that came with the car have logged less than 16,000 kms (10,000 miles). My mechanic has never seen anything like it. This can't be right.
  • Thanks Bzed,

No it is not normal or acceptable. Is your car All Wheel Drive(AWD)? WE have talked to people that have tried several different types of tire on the same car - it is not a tire quality problem. What do your snow tires look like?
  • Marty,
    We also have a 2005 Matrix and have had tire problems. At about 3000 miles we noticed the noise. We kept on going to see if it would get worse and it did. AT 6800 miles we took it to our dealer and they sent us to a Tire place. There they noticed the left front tire wearing very badly and the right front was starting - so he sent us back to our Toyota dealer. There they checked the alignment and contacted Toyota who gave us 4 new Goodyear tires in exchange for the Continental tires. Now we are hearing the nose again at 12,000 miles. What to do????? Does anyone have any suggestions????? (get ride of the car or go back to our dealer??????). Humbug
  • Hello Humbug,

By the time you heard the noise the tires were already in a state of wear. To answer your question - I don't think there is anything you can do at this point. We noticed the tire wear at 250 mi. After that we tried to get the dealership to address and admit there is a problem here - they told us this abnormal wear was "normal" - Crap!! At this point we researched the Lemon Law for New Hampshire (You can check your state)

If your warranty is out so are your options. We started the process of giving Toyota three documented chances to fix the wear problem before they are forced to buy the car back.

At this point they are trying to buy us off with a set of Michelin tires. It will stretch out the time the wear shows up but it's not going to save them.

Short of a class action suit I don't think they are going to fix the design flaw in the car. My guess is the rubber bushings in the suspension system are not stiff enough or they have the wheel alignment set to compensate for some other issue (like roll-over test compliance).

If you are out of warranty you can have your mechanic tweek your alignment out of specification to correct the wear problem - this is a last ditch effort we have not applied because it will void the warranty. According to one of the mechanics we grilled during one of our visits the tire wear is a common re-curring problem. I don't see a 50% reduction in tire life and acceptable condition. Stay tuned and encourage other Matrix people to respond. With enough statistics there will be enough of a reason for out of warranty action.

Thanks,
    Marty
  • Just bought a 2007 XR FWD with automatic. Are you guys all driving AWD models? If not what options? Thanks.

Brian
  • AWD here.

although this is a forum for tire wear I've seen a couple of other common notes -
    -If you get a hiss from your drivers window when closed at hwy speed double tap the down button (seems the door architecture is a bit off)
    -at 40MPH if you get the lugging sound and vibration from the engine and transmission - find another speed and avoid 40 MPH.
    -If it seems like the brakes grab all of a sudden going down hill - it really just the transmission - our dealer mechanic suggest downshifting manually to avoid the surprise (I'm still waiting for the snow - this should be interesting)

-M
  • Hi Brian and Marty,
    Our Matriax is FWD XR. 12,100 miles and we have had this noise since 3,000 miles. As of this date we haven't decided what to do, but we did talk to a friend of ours who works at the dealership. Toyota replaced the tires at 6,800 miles and we were told to be sure and rotate the tires every 5,000 miles which we have done - this is according to the owners manual. Now at 12,100 we are into the noise again. This is the only problem we have had. The car itself runs perfect. City mileage is aboaut 30 and the highway has been as high as 38. We really don't want to get rid of this car (we can't afford to) but just want to get this problem fixed. Will keep you all informed if we find any further developments. Thanks Guys!!!!!
    Humbug
  • bzedbzed Posts: 2
    Our Matrix is AWD.
    Our snow tires are stored at the garage, so I'll have to arrange to have them checked.
  • possoopossoo Posts: 1
    Greetings:

I'm not experiencing uneven tire wear, but I do have an annoying noise. The car and tires have 20,000 miles on them. They are the Continental originals. The noise started at around 12-15,000 miles and it's a rotational humming sort of noise that increases and decreases with speed. The noise level stays constant and so you can't hear it at highway speeds with all the other noise. It sounds most like a wheel bearing gone bad or an axle joint AKA old Subarus. The car is not AWD. The frequency of the noise is like a dull humming and very annoying. Dealer says it's the rough wear on the edges of the rear tires. They say they have checked every other possibility.

Is this the same problem you all are having?
  • humbughumbug Posts: 4
    Hi Posso,
    Couldn't explain our noise any better than you just did!
    Exactly the same. Our noise was so unbearable at 6800 miles that Toyota took off the Continental (which they said was the problem) and replaced them with 4 CHEAP Goodyear.
    Now we almost have 7000 miles on these tires and the noise is coming back. Wonder if they will spring for a new set of tires every 7000 miles??????? We plan on going back to the dealer if the noise continues and see if they will give us a decent trade in on a new car. It seems like it was originally blamed on the Continental Tires - they wear off on one side even with a re-alignment by the dealer. We are wondering what the fix will be this time!!!!! Will post if we get any new developments. We really like the MATRIX and hope they will treat us right on this problem. Good luck on your problem and for all of our problems. We hope it is not just on WHITE cars. Humbug
  • Possoo,

If the tires are "feathering" which is rough wear on the edges then you have the same problem. The noise is caused by the action of the tire scrapping the rubber somewhat sideways to the travel direction of the vehicle. As the tread becomes more uneven it makes more noise. The Continental tires have five tire tread bands - the inside band was noticeable more worn any other on ours. If you had a driveshaft bearing problem the noise would diminish some as you take your foot off your the gas.

-M
  • Humbug,

I sent an e-mail to Toyota about a month ago. The dealership replaced our tires with Michelins' this past week. We have challenged them with the Lemon Law - This means they have three tries to fix the cronic wear problem(non-conformity). The Michelins (attempt #3) should go 100,000 miles on a normal car but the service manager said he doubts we will get 60K out of them. We took a base measurement so we can show them the wear pattern as soon as possible and request they buy the car back under the Lemon Law - they will then get one final chance to fix it again within 40 days. Of course they will try to say the wear is conforming and "normal" and therefore not subject to the Lemon Law - I think they could change the alignment specifications and make the whole problem go away - it is either that or they have a bigger engineering problem.
  • I have a 2004 FWD Matrix XR with the same problem. The inside edge is bald and the outside edge looks new. I rotate every 5000 miles, balance every 10,000 and now I started checking the alignment every 5000. NTB says its the Continental tires on the car. Toyota says I don't take care of the tires properly. I contacted Toyota in CA and filed a complaint. I have to replace the tires by Thanksgiving (any suggestions?). I did get over 51,000 miles on the Continentals although the majority of the miles have been a rough ride. I told Toyota that the local dealer WILL monitor the tires so that if the problem IS with the car it can be documented from the day the tires were purchased. (I found this web site looking for tire suggestions. I had no idea that the uneven wear and the unpleasant ride were experienced by others. I thought it was the tires and not the car.)
  • Start taking documented action for the Lemon Law application for your state(if it is not too late). The dealership can not do this for you. The dealership can only check the car to specifications (i.e. alignment and such) things they will find in tolerance despite the obvious wear.

Good Luck. :lemon:
  • I just took my '04 Matrix in because the tires are cupped- barely 20,000 miles. In fact, it was pointed out to me at only 15,000 miles. The dealership doesn't want to do anything. They say there are no bulletins out on this problem. Suggestions please. How do I document, do I get new tires and monitor for wear?
  • I had to replace tires at 15,000 in August...they were noisy, so we had them checked out somewhere other than a Toyota dealer.
    They were all chewed up...and needed to be replaced.
    Dealer wouldn't even present the problem to Toyota. After 5,000 miles the noise was coming back again...Dealer claiming it's the first they've heard of it being a returning issue.
    I traded it in and said "So Long" to Toyota. :lemon:
  • gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    Sorry for your troubles, but I don't agree... We have over 33K miles on our 4WD Matrix. The OEM tires were replaced with Michelin Hydro Edge tires when we purchased it. These tires are noisey, but they sure aren't worn.
  • I have a 2006 toyota matrix XR 2wd. I took my car to sears to get my tires rotated and balanced since I purchased new wheels from sears. they refused to rotate my tires since one had 2/32 tread and another had the belts showing on the inside of tire. So I mad an appt with dealership. what will I expect? The car only has 14000 miles. will they give me new tires or will I have to pay something. Other then replacing tires does toyota have an answer for this problem?