Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 798
    I think you will find that the National Highway and Traffic SAFETY Administration will think tire wear issues aren't safety issues.

I suggest you try the Federal Trade Commision. They deal with breach of warranty and related issues, and this is probably closer to that, and they may be more receptive.
  • camryvibecamryvibe Posts: 1
    Just another note that not everyone is experiencing this problem. We have two '06 Pontiac Vibes, one with 23000 miles and one with 5000. Both have the original Goodyear tires and neither is showing any abnormal signs of wear. I don't routinely rotate tires since I prefer to be able to quickly detect signs of misalignment. The older of our two Vibes is showing some normal wear on the front tires, but it's even across the tread and has never had any problems with vibration, excessive tire noise, or pulling to one side. I plan to rotate the tires on that car this fall to even out the tread wear between the front and back, but at the moment all four tires have plenty of tread depth.

I also know someone with an older Pontiac Vibe who got about 40,000 miles on the original Continentals and has now put another 100,000 on a set of BFG tires.

It's disturbing to see so many reports of tire problems and even more to hear that Toyota/Pontiac and their dealers aren't addressing the problems effectively. Proper alignment shouldn't be that difficult to achieve and even if the suspension design doesn't include easy adjustment mechanisms there are alternate approaches using shims or eccentric bolts/washers. Seems like a little more effort in satisfying customers would pay off in goodwill and future vehicle purchases and recommendations.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    "Seems like a little more effort in satisfying customers would pay off in goodwill and future vehicle purchases and recommendations."

But alas, that is something a great many dealers, especially the big corporate ones, will not put in: any extra effort.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• I check the car forums on edmunds from time to time and noticed on the Corolla forum that people were having excessive tire wear/pulling with the Matrix.
    Thought I might be able to offer some insight. I used to own a 2006 Corolla S bought brand new from dealer in NOV '05. From day 1 I had a strong pull of car to left - so severe that my car wouldn't track straight no matter road condition. I took it into my dealer and they did a tire rotation and alignment with the excuse "this sometimes happens to cars when they get off the truck". This is how the story ends: After taking my car 4 times to the dealer I purchased the car from (with not fixing the problem), dealing with Toyota Customer Service, taking my car to another Toyota dealer 3 times and the car still pulling, going on test drives with the dealer service manager and dealership manager and them seeing the problem but not knowing how to fix it and again dealing with Toyota Customer Service who was no help and basically told me to do arbitration or Lemon Law. Although the dealers recognized my car had a pulling problem they weren't able to identify it - checking tires, suspension, alignment, etc, with no solution. After the stress, anger and time I spent taking my car to dealers and not wanting to go through another headache, I ended up trading in the Corolla with 5,000 miles on it for a VW Rabbit. Fortunately, I didn't lose any money on the deal and happy to report that my VW is great :)
    Whats most disappointing is I bought my Corolla b/c of Toyota history of reliability. I was so disgusted how Toyota Corp. treatment me and my car issue that getting rid of it was the only solution. Bottom line: Don't always believe the hype; just b/c a car company is known for its reliability doesn't mean that they will have any customer service after you drive the car off the lot.
  • laurakk25laurakk25 Posts: 1
    Any luck with the dealer?

I'm having a similar problem with my 06 FWD Matrix. A friend noticed a noise and I had a mechanic i know look at it and said it was no doubt the tire wear. I only have 15,500 on my car.

I had a dealer tech drive it and said he thought it was the wheel bearings. The service people at the dealer would NOT even acknowledge the possibility that the car might be wearing the tires abnormally - so I am going to the regional headquarters. Hopefully - they will be more helpful.

I bought a toyota because of the reputation...so much for that. :cry:
  • doug61doug61 Posts: 4
    Rocky:

I showed your solution to my mechanic at the local Shell station & he agreed that this was the way to go. One of his employees has an XRS with 17" wheels which he can't keep in tires. The mechanic also mentioned this was a common problem on Camry & Solara as well so Toyota really has a serious mess on their hands. This is just poor engineering coupled with lousy production quality control.

He estimated 1-2 hours @ $85/hr to install the camber adjustment bolts & do the alignment. Note this was front end only. So for something like $200-$250 the problem is fixable. What was your cost in Ridgecrest?

Thanks.

Doug
  • I have an '07 Matrix XR. I took it to the local Jeep dealer (much closer to my house and my friend says they are great) for it's first oil change/tire rotation (at 7,000 miles oops). They showed me that my rear right wheel was not aligned correctly. Negative camber. They told me to call Toyota dealer and have it checked. So I took it in and they said it was out of alignment and that they fixed it. I asked them if I took it back to Jeep and put it up on the lift would it really be fixed and asked him about all the problems other Matrix owners were having. He said that was just a few cars. So, I plan on taking it back to Jeep for my next oil change to check it out. I haven't noticed any uneven wear--yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • UPDATE:
    Since my initial post, I contacted Toyota HQ in Calif. - (800) 331-4331.
    My '05 Matrix AWD had 29k miles on it. I opened a file regarding the premature tire wear on the OE Continentals and pushed them, along with help from the dealership, to get their District Service Mgr. involved. The DSM authorized the dealer to do another 4 wheel alignment, and inspect and document the worn tires. Even told him about this forum, which, of course, he minimized. But, he did eventually agree to have Toyota Corporate pay for two tires, and the dealership owner graciously agreed to pay for the other two. After they were installed (Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S - rated #2 by Consumer Reports), there was a pronounced shimmy in the steering wheel at highway speeds. Brought the car back, and the shop foreman diagnosed it as worn front brake rotors, and replaced them....
    So far, so good, but I'm gonna watch the treadwear like a hawk....
  • Our 2005 Matrix has over 50,000 miles on the original Goodyear Eagle RS tires. We have driven on dirt Forest Service mountain roads and many miles on the Interstate highways. We have no abnormal wear. I am replacing the tires this week with Michelin Hydroedge.
  • penyokpenyok Posts: 2
    Rocky101
    Will this repair void the balance of the warranty? Is there afix for the back? I have a 2006 matrix xr fwd with 14000miles on it and have the same problem as the other folks. The dealer says continental tires are problem, but they say it is alignment problem. Thanks for your info and help.
    penyok
  • penyokpenyok Posts: 2
    Rocky101
    Will this repair void the balance of the warranty? Is there a fix for the back? I have a 2006 matrix xr fwd with 14000miles on it and have the same problem as the other folks. The dealer says continental tires are problem, but they say it is alignment problem. Thanks for your info and help.
    penyok
  • We have two 2005 Matrixes with Continental tires and both sets were replaced at less than 15k with Yokohamas. With 35 to 40k on both cars, they seem to be doing fine.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Everyone with the Continentals had problems and had to replace them super-early, everyone with the Goodyears and other replacement brands made out fine. Could it be the tires and not the car?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• skc51skc51 Posts: 4
    Similar problem to Rocky101. Have a 2006 Matrix XR and noticed noise about 7K miles. Tires were rotated at 5K miles and again at 10K miles. After second rotation noise really became obvious. Replaced tires at 11,400 miles on a car that was 14 months old. Tires wearing on the inside. Tried 3 tire dealers as well as the Toyota Dealer where I got the car. No one ever saw this problem before....as well as the this car has a sporty suspension and is hard on tires. Put a set of Continental tires back on the car and than took it to a shop that specializes in suspensions and alignments. They installed a set of camber adjusting bolts and while the car was within the factory specs, they backed off of the negative camber. Just like Rocky101 the car now needs less gas pedal to keep it moving and there is no noise. Amazing! The shop I had the work done is working with me and wants me to bring it back in later this year to see if anymore adjustments are needed. They also told me any car with this type of front suspension will be prone to these problems - sadly Toyota can not stand behind their warranty or their reputation. This was my first and last Toyota. Cost was $216 including parts and labor. Oh - and a new set of tires from America's Tire for $400. Anyway there is nothing wrong with Continental Tires, the struts or any of the other stuff folks are being told. This is just a quality control problem and while not an extreme safety issue a pain in the butt for owners who have to work with an unresponsive and uncaring automobile company and their dealerships. If anyone needs the settings where the shop set my tires, hit me up and I will send them to you. Not sure yet, if this is where they need to be however I can feel and hear the difference right now.

Steve
    You can get a shim installed on the back wheels to adjust the camber. If you do this, make sure you take it somewhere that specializes in alignments and suspensions. I had similar problems however I did the front end since the back end was okay. The shims are not expensive however you need to have someone who knows what they are doing to get this done correctly.

Steve
  • I just bought my XR Matrix 07 in December. Up to a month or so ago everything was fine with the car. Then the tire pressure light when up I tried to reset (as the manual indicates)but it kept coming back on. Finally I took it to a tire shop to get it checked out they told me that the tires were low. About 3 days later the indicator light came back up again.

This time I took it to the dealer as I was also due for maintenance so they rotated the tires. They also set they set the pressure on the tires (something like that) and reset the little light that kept going on. Well, about a week later the light comes up and I did nothing about it until my front tire became totally flat. Ok so it was due to a nail in the tire :blush: Hopefully that is it. I have less than 5K on this car.

Still, I'm going to keep a close eye on the tires because I've read too many "horror stories" (as my sister called it) regarding tires and Matrixes. :confuse:

Anyone have problems with 07 Matrix I have only read about previous models.
  • Am also having the same problem as Rocky101. 2006 Matrix XR with 17,000 miles has severe cupping on inside of all four tires. Am beginning the tedious process of trying to convince Toyota that the problem is the car and not the
    Continental Tires. Very much appreciate reading about the experiences of others and hope that it will shortcut the arguments with Toyota.

Can you please send me the settings you ended up with? Thanks.

Carey
  • Rocky101,

I have a 06 matrix with the same tire wear issue.
    I have conties on my car
    Where can I get teh kit to fix the rears

Appreciate your help bro

Michael
  • wmconewmcone Posts: 2
    Steve Had the same problem with my 06 Matrix XR Short life with the Continental tires and very noisy after 9000 mi.I ran them to 25000. But interested in settings so I do not wear my new tires out. WmCone
  • Steve:
    Can you supply me with the settings that the shop set your tires. I also have a 06 Matrix XR FWD and I replaced my Contenentals at 18K. Thanks.

Bill
  • Hi,

I'm happy/unhappy owner of Matrix 2006 with tire/alignment problem/story. Big disappointment with Toyota Motor Company and local Toyota Dealers - they do nothing. Finally I order front&rear camber kit and I setup an appointment to next week.
    Is this solution really works?
    The factory aligment setting are ok?
    Do I need any corrections to factory settings?
    Is the Matrix still driving well after all setup?
    Could You give me answer by my email?

Thanks

Paul
    apmidura@gazeta.pl
  • Hi Guys,

Our Matrix now has 29,000+ miles, 15,000 on the Yokamaha tires. The original tires lasted less than 15,000. Yes, Toyota was ABSOLUTELY no help. Three times in the shop, no resolution.

I have rotated the tires 3x since installing the new tires, with no excessive wear or other problems. The shop used the factory camber and toe settings. I replaced only the front camber bolts. I do have a minor pull to the left. May be the rear end geometry, but I have not had the rear aligned yet.
  • Rocky: is your Matrix FWD or AWD?
    Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I do not always check this stie. Installed two 17mm EZ CAM XR adjusting bolts, one on each front wheel. Here are the results:

Initial Final

Caster Left 3.12º 2.98º
    Right 2.94º 2.93º
    Camber Left -0.91º -0.44º
    Right -0.78º -0.31º
    Toe Left -0.06º 0.00º
    Right -0.19º 0.02º
    Total -0.25º 0.02º

Not 100% sure if this has solved the problem since I only have about 2,500 miles on the new tires, no adjustments were made to the rear wheels however if I see any more wear problems, the car will go.

Steve
    Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I do not always check this stie. Installed two 17mm EZ CAM XR adjusting bolts, one on each front wheel. Here are the results:

Initial Final

Caster Left 3.12º 2.98º
    Right 2.94º 2.93º
    Camber Left -0.91º -0.44º
    Right -0.78º -0.31º
    Toe Left -0.06º 0.00º
    Right -0.19º 0.02º
    Total -0.25º 0.02º

Not 100% sure if this has solved the problem since I only have about 2,500 miles on the new tires, no adjustments were made to the rear wheels however if I see any more wear problems, the car will go.

Steve
  • careypcareyp Posts: 2
    At 15,000 miles, had severe cupping on inside of all four tires. Although Toyota has taken no responsibility for the problem, my dealer in San Bruno, CA has helped out of "good will". The front end is apparently ok. The back end has been realigned with shims. All four tires have been replaced at the dealer's expense.

Will monitor wear closely.
  • 06 Matrix with alloy wheels. (Has anyone had this problem with steel wheels?) At 5,000 slight shimmy in the steering wheel after rotation. After the 10,000 mile rotation it was a little worse. By 12,000 miles I was noticing the noise and was thinking they should insulate the car better. Took it to dealer early at 14,000 miles and they found all 4 tires cupped bad enough they needed replaced. They charged me for 2 and gave me 2 Yokahama tires checked the alignment that needed only slight adjustment. They blamed the Continental tires but I suspect the new tires will do the same. Will post again sometime after I have 5,000 miles or more on them.
  • I filed a report with nhtsa on the tires. If enough complaints get filed with the transportation department they might do something. It takes a little while to file a complaint and you need to have vehicle info at hand but worth it. (VIN number, mileage, dealer information. It is Continental tire of North America if you had Continentals,- it asks).
    Here is the web site address for filing a complaint:

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
  • louylouy Posts: 2
    Has anyone mentioned TSB DL002-07 that deals "abnormal noise from rear differential' on 06 AWD Matrix?
    Quote "The source of the noise may be damaged transmission coupling assembly and 2 ball bearing assemblies."
    Wonder this has anything to do with the premature wearing out of tires?
  • I see Toyota Matrix all over- I plan to print links to this site and to the suggested sites for retribution and leave them under the wipers of each Matrix I see. Perhaps this way we can alert others to the common issue we are having. I just found this because I plan to purchase new tires tomorrow after being told for the past year that there is no problem with my car...yada yada.. bottom line-they are in denial at the dealership service. I will re-read all of the posts and take the same action...
    I'll post my print text once its created so that you can re-create the same and pass them out too-
    Im fired up, they made me feel like I was crazy