Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• lc007lc007 Posts: 3
    Could you please forward the information on where do I order, what part number to order, cost, phone number, and can any shop install? I need to have tires asap installed and will have the kit installed, how many miles do you have on with the kit on? Did you need to have it realigned?
  • Actually, there are several manufacturers, and you can get them from just about any full service reputable tire shop. In fact, I learned about the kits from my locally owned tire shop. Our kits have been installed for about 8 months now, and we have had no problems at all as far as alignment. I have about 10K miles on the kit, and I just had it inspected today, everything is still with in specs. Good luck!
  • lc007lc007 Posts: 3
    Are you willing to share, part number, manufacturer? I have asked half dozen creditable tire shops and a local toyota dealer, no one has ever heard of the kit.
    I live in Upstate NY, Rochester. It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide information for all Toyota owners to use. I am willing to provide my email or phone if necessary to get the information, I am in need of new tires and would like to have the kit installed to prevent futher tire expense. Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas.
  • Check the info at message #155 (or so) of this thread. Those are the camber bolts I bought. I got them online at Rock Auto. A local auto parts place should be able to get them for you, too--Ask them for a camber kit for your model and year, and they should be able to find them. They were available locally for me, just cost a bit more, so I got mine online instead.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    I am having Goodyear Eagles put on next week but the tire dealer said there is no mileage warranty on Goodyear's, is that crap?

There is no mileage warranty on the Eagles because they are designed to be more of a performance tire, with better traction and handling than average. As a result, they are not a long-life tire - based on what I am seeing of mine, they will do about 40K miles, maybe 45K.

And I am now at 26K on mine (Eagle RSAs), no funny wear or other problems, fully expecting to get the 40-45K out of them. My Matrix is an '07 FWD.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• I bought my 2005 Matrix new and replaced the Continental tires at 30,000 miles. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires from Costco. Michelin lists them as All-Season Ultra-High Performance, rated 400/A/A . I was sure I wanted Michelins since I'm doing about 25K per year and researched different tires on Michelin.com, after I saw what I could order from Costco.com. I knew nothing about the tires before and no one had recommended them to me. I just liked what I read when comparing them and the price.

Costco does not keep them in stock, but you can order them or other Michelin or BF Goodrich tires to be delivered to your warehouse location free of charge. I just saw that Costco is featuring the newest version of my tire called Plus for the same price I paid. Costco runs rebates of $60 or $80 from time to time on Michelin, and with my $60 rebate, I paid about $450 out the door when I bought them. Something else to know about Costco is that you can't use a credit card in the warehouse, other than AX, but ordering online, you can.

Just turned 84,000 miles and still have plenty of tread left. I will easily make another 10K or maybe to 100,000 on this set. That means that I will get between 64,000 and 70,000 miles on them. They have a 45,000 mile warranty! You bet I'm happy!

I am an older driver, so I'm not driving them crazy, and I do drive plenty of highway miles. But I'm not a slow driver either, and I'm zipping in and out of traffic driving in San Diego, Orange an LA Counties usually at 75-80 mph. The tires perform very well on the Matrix and high speed maneuvering if great. I rotate and balance them every 5000-6000 (free at Costco). I aligned the wheels when I got the new tires, and that's it.

It will be interesting to see what I get, and you can bet I'll be buying another set. :)
  • Rocky,

I just purchased an '06 Matrix with AWD. It definitely has abnormal wear on the outside edge of the front left tire. I think the camber kit might help.

I wanted to see if you still conclude that the kit is working on your Matrix, after a few more months.

regards,
    John
    You DO realize that a car that is over 3 years old could just have a regular old boring, run-of-the-mill alignment problem? Plenty of opportunities in that amount of time for the former owner to run up a curb or hit some nasty potholes the wrong way.

• thoughthough Posts: 7
    will these K929 camber bolts work with my 2006 matrix xr? i just bought it on sunday and noticed that the tires were shot. found 2 nails in them too, so it's REALLY time. all 4 tires are wore out on the inside of each tire and the car pulls pretty badly to the right. i figured i would get the K929 installed, aligned, and new tires. do i just need 1 set of 2 bolts??

thanks for all the info. guys!
  • Hi,

Regarding my install of camber bolts and results, the tire wear is very even on all 4 tires, which were rotated per schedule. I originally installed the camber bolts and aligned the front, leaving the rear alone. Probably should have done a 4 wheel alignment, but the manufacturer should have aligned the thing to last more than 12,000 miles!
    I just went through the set of Yokohama Avid (60,000 Mile warranty) in just about 30,000 miles. A little disappointing considering how it is driven, mostly highway. But, no more noise, vibration and pull. No difference in the mpg either. I was glad that I installed the kit.

Rocky
    rocky,

i don't know much about suspension, camber kits, alignment, etc. i need to get some camber bolts for my 06 matrix. how many do i need? 1 for each tire, 4 total? 1 for each front tire, 2 total, or ??? i want to get these and have it done soon...

thanks in advance.
  • Town Toyota installed a Camber Adjustment kit K929 MOOG on my 2006 Matrix. I let them discard my old worn-out Continentals and put on the winter studs. Town's service manager acknowledged no problem with the Matrix and tire wear. He has read the forums. The problem was that not enough of us filed with Toyota about the problem. There are probably thousands of people out there who never brought the problem to the attention of the company. My old tires probably had 18,000 miles on them as I put on studs from October through April.
    While my car was in the shop I looked around the showroom and the 2009 model Matrix. A salesman snagged me. Long story short, I traded my 2006 in on a new 2009 with siped (sp) Goodyear Eagle tires on it. I financed at zero percent; Toyota paid off every penny of my old balance (about 14,000), so I also saved the interest I would have paid over the next few years. My old AWD car had 29000 miles on it. It was clean and the buyers really wanted it.
    I have the warranty pamphlet for the Eagles in front of me.I intend to have them rotated every 6000 miles or six months. There is no "mileage" guarantee, but there is a "wear" guarantee that will replace the tires free if the wear reaches a certain point in the first year. After the first year, there's a six-year prorated replacement guarantee.
    I don't like the color as much as my old car, and I have cheap plastic hubcaps, but the car has more pep and is handling beautifully, without studs, on the snow and ice.
    I solved my problem by trading for a new car. I hope that the tire problems won't recur in the 2009 model.
    sgracie
  • I have an 09 Matrix with 7,000 miles. I have not experiemced any unever wear yet. But the car does not ride well. I feel every little bump. My friend said the tires that came with car are not the best I would get a better ride with better tires. The car came with Bridgestone Turanza P215/45R17 tires. I had them rotated at 5,000. I am not a tire expert so any advice would be appreciated. Would another brand help the ride quality or maybe it is not the tires? It appears Michelin might have been a better choice. I love the car but do not like feeling every bump in the road.
    The Matrix is a moderately small light car, designed to be a little bit "sporty". As such, there will be compromises as to ride comfort. What car are you coming out of? Many midsize and large cars are optimized for ride comfort as a top priority, and you would be bound to notice the less-smooth ride of the Matrix by contrast.

• You may be right. I also have a 2002 VW Passat and the ride comfort is moch better. I am looking forward to seeing the Venza.
    I also have a 2002 VW Passat and the ride comfort is moch better

Just as I would expect it to be. Nice car, but certainly heavier than a Matrix by several hundred pounds, and designed to optimize ride comfort.

• I bought the K929 camb kit and gave it along with my car to my uncle. he is the engine instructor at a local college and they have an alignment machine there. this was the printout that he gave me when he gave me the car back.

any thought on the data??

http://rumbles.com/align.pdf
  • Though:

The alignment is much better but not perfect.

While the individual toe #'s in the rear are off a little the total toe is in spec. The rear of the car will be slightly shifted (dog track), not enough to see or worry about IMHO.

http://www.aa1car.com/align.htm
  • ok, thanks for the reply! i will run these tires for a bit longer then pony up for some new ones. it definitely handles better now and doesn't pull to either side anymore (unless there are strong winds or the road is weird!)
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 470
    2003 AWD Matrix. 64K on the odometer. Dealer says the tires (and their tread) will pass inspection in August. Running on Goodyear Eagles, which came from the factory, but tire replacement history is a bit different than normal:

* August 2005 at 27K had to replace 2 tires because the driver's side rear tire had a chunk out of the sidewall. Dealer put the new tires on the rear after telling me they would go on the front with the existing front tires moved to the rear. Two days later they switched the new ones to the front at no charge. Recommended against rotating tires; said good tires should remain on the front until tread wear was relatively even.

* August 2007 at 43K needed 2 new tires again because the two remaining factory tires were worn to the point they wouldn't pass inspection. New tires again put on front.

* Tires were then not rotated again until last week. They had planned to do so at 60K in January 2009 but decided not to because they said one of the rear tires was showing 'minor cupping.' You could definitely hear the rumbling road noise at higher speeds coming from the rear.

* They told me when I checked in last week at 64K that they wouldn't rotate the tires, but then they did. Said the technician this time felt they could be rotated. Now the rumbling noise is definitely coming from the front, but it is most noticeable between 15 and 30 or 35 mph.

My wife drives the care much more than I do. She thinks we shouldn't buying new tires until it becomes a tread issue. Questions:

(1) Assuming it is the tire and not the alignment, is cupping of one tire really not a safety issue if the tread depth is good?

(2) I have had better luck in the past with Yokohama tires than any other brand as far as grip, ride, noise level, and wear. Does anyone have a suggestion other than Yokohama in the same price range?

Thanks.
  • 124spider124spider Posts: 5
    After noticing the front tires were really worn (no wonder the leftward drift seemed to have lessened in the last several thousand miles) I decided to go to a Goodyear store and get two new front tires. Well they suggested puttin the rear tires on the front and the new ones on the back (themplan being that I would replave them down the road as I wasn't ready buy four tires sine I really had my doubts the new rubber would fix anything). Well...the drift was as bad as it ever was so I took it back and had them put the new tires on the front and it finally drove straight!!!!! I immediately HD them put two new ones on th rear so I have a ll new rubber and can now rotate normally

I guess on my situation the tires were defective. I'm amazed that at mo time did the dealers suggest this. The very most I would have insisted on was that they give a me a super discounted price on new tires or split the cost with me. I went throfuh so much grief with them over this I finally gave ip and just drove the car with the drift (the front tires wore because I didn't rotate them as I didn't want to risk alterring it once the dealer got it pulling slightly less last year). Anyhow I guess it is possible for the tires to have been bad from the get go.
  • :cry: :cry: I HAVE READ THE POST AND TOOK A LOOK AT MY Continentals AND LOW AND BEHOLD ALL 4 TIRES ARE CUPED ! LOOKS LIKE I WILL BE BRINGING THE TOYOTA TO THE DEALER AND SEE WHAT HE HAS TO SAY, ONLY 13,500 MILES ON THEM. I HOPE I DON'T GET THE RUN AROUND .
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Posts: 117
    My 2006 base Matrix 5-speed wears the inside edges of its Continental tires. The alignment is good, camber is modest, regular rotations etc. A couple days ago I thought of a stop-gap solution to do before the edges are too far gone.

I just went to a tire shop and had them remove the tires from the rims, flip 'em over, remount and balance. So now the worn edges are on the outside. Cost $109. The tire tech was skeptical, but hey, I'm paying...

I haven't had her up to highway speed yet but the handling feels OK and the tires are much quieter at 30mph. I got 16K miles out of one set of edges and if I can get another 16K I'll be satisfied.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 470
    Today I replaced the Goodyear Eagles on our 2003 AWD with Yokohama AVID / V4s. Tread wasn't shot on the Eagles, but I could see that all the tires were showing wear. The technician confirmed that only one of the tires was cupped. They checked the alignment and said it was exactly on target. Unless there was a significant problem with alignment at some point in the past (not that I'm aware of), it was a problem with the tire.
  • Three weeks later the tires are working fine. The $109 was for flipping all 4 tires on their rims.
    this seems like a "band-aid" approach to the problem, not a fix. i posted my fix previously in the thread and don't know for sure if it works 100% yet. i'll find out when i put new tires on in a couple months and drive on them....
  • It's a "band-aid" that should just about double the life of my tires. Yes, I've seen your previous posts and we had an exchange before. The difference is I don't have the camber problem you had, so your fix does not help me.
    are you 100% sure it's not a chamber problem? you have to get your car checked out by someone very knowledgeable and isn't trying to make a ton of $$ off of you...
  • doodedoode Posts: 18
    just going through some old posts since I am having similar problems.
    It's definitely not a tire issue, but an alignment issue.
    What I need to know is, why is the rear going out of alignment so easily after only 6000k.

The first time my rear alignment was out (toe in) it chewed my Bridgestone serenity's with only 30,000k down to slick. After realignment at 6000 kms it's happening again with mainly highway driving. The outside tread is wearing faster.
    Any ideas what's causing the alignment to go out? Dealership has inspected the rear suspension and sees no indicators.
  • I guess I am not alone with the tire problems that I encountered. Went for an inspection and my mechanic showed me wear on the inside of the front tire after 34,000. I had rotated bur maybe not enough. I still thought that tires lasted longer than that. Should I call the dealer or just get the tires and alignment and call it a day ?