Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• I hadn't read your message when I posted mine today and am particularly interested in what you've done. Did you find satisfaction anywhere.
  • tygetyge Posts: 1
    hello S.G. you spoke with one of my service advisors today about a tire concern. we recommended the 800 # because of the lack of history and information on your vehicle.I understand it is a long drive but we would need to look at the vehicle before we can authorize any repairs under warranty. if we can get it covered for you we will. any new vehicle purchase is a joint venture between the owner and the servicing dealership-thats why they have an owners manual to help the customer keep up on the sometimes confusing maintenance schedule.-the manufacturer knows the most cost effective way to keep your vehicle in tip top condition.
  • I have an 08 matrix with 14,600 miles on it. I bought it certified at 10500 miles and began to notice a pretty constant leftward drift at highway speeds from the get go. Last weekend was the third visit to the dealer (first two, at another dealer, thrid at the deler I bought it from).

Alignment specs are all within spec, but not perfectly symmetrical. They tried to tweak the toe a bit but it is still drifting. Not sure if the Moog camber bolts would help or what....or pehaps shims in the rear.

I HAVE NOT noticed tire wear....but for all I know, they put new tires on it before they put it for sale....they look pretty newish. At any rate...I am now wondering if this car was a big mistake....I love it but for this drift. This is something I would expect from one of the many junkers I've driven over the years...not an $18K relatively newish Toyota. And it doesn't take a wild imagination to envision a scenario whereby the car drifts into the oncoming lane...or God forbid oncoming traffic.

Will be contacting the dealer again....service manager mentioned something about contacting someone further up the chain (regional/district rep, factory service tech??)

PS- we had the same issue on a low mileage (5000) certified corolla....it was fixed in two attempts...I recall the sm talking about longer camber bolts or something?

Signed...
    Losing faith in the Toyota Marque
  • I'm taking my Matrix to Town Toyota in Wenatchee on Nov. 7. Service will include alighment and installation of a "camb kit" before putting on the studded winter tires. Doesn't change the fact that the Continentals on the car are worn out with fewer than 20 thousand miles.
    I filed a report at Toyota, which you can do by calling the 800 number in your sales or service papers. I intend to call them back to tell them that the cost of the new tires that I'll have to buy in the spring as well as the "camb kit" (I put this in quotes because I don't know what it does). The service mgr at my dealerl read my posting on Edmunds, and he found the kit would resolve the alignment problem. If the kit fixes it, it seems to me that Toyota should have a recall and put the kit on all the Matrixes.
    To sum up: file a report with Toyota; refer your dealer to Edmunds (send him the link to Matrix tire problems). Dealers need to know that we're not the only ones with this problem.
    Let me know what happens.
  • Thanks S. Good Luck with this. Is the Camb Kit a Toyota thing or the aftermarket Moog kit mentioned (here?). If a toyota kit...can you get the part number of the invoice (and if not on there...have them right specifically what they used?) If they are going to use the Moog kit, I have that number. Thanks!
  • Hey Guys wondering if anyone has any information on the Cooper CS4 all season touring tire. I have an '07 Matrix FWD and am looking for a decent set of all season tires. Any information on these tires or any tire for that matter for my car would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Cujostheman
  • Hi folks,

I was just censored on that other forum because I included a link to this thread in a discussion about Corolla tire problems.

Would I get censored on this forum for pointing to a discussion on "CarTalk"?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Yes, I believe so. Fora in general don't like you linking to other fora. They want theirs to be the ONLY spot you post!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• It's in the membership agreement to not solicit or promote so yes posts with link backs are deleted unless the link is a direct relation to the topic and helps answer a specific question and isn't a general link back.
  • bark1bark1 Posts: 1
    I need snowtires for my '08 Matrix XR. It has 215 50R 17's on it - I've been quoted higher than average prices for that size tire, I'm told that it's a "specialty" size. Do I need that exact size in a snowtire, or will another size fit? I could use some feedback please, it's gettin' cold out there...
  • I haven't looked at the membership agreement of that other group, but I was not soliciting or promoting. Also, the thread I linked to here was relevent to the thread over there. It all seems pretty arbitrary to me, especially in groups that allow alot of insults and irrelevent chit-chat.
  • If it's specifically relevant and it's obvious it's not just a solicitation then we leave it be, and this forum doesn't allow the insults and try to keep posts OT. If you have a link to share that is helpful to a member who has a question please do post it. :)
  • Just finished reading the long history of problems with Matrix tires. I am looking at an 09 AWD. The dealer offered lifetime tire replacement at no cost as long as I can show I have maintained according to specs. Sounds like they can't eliminate the problem so they are willing to chase after individual problems. It is making me rethink my decision to consider Matrix. The Subaru might be a better option to get my AWD. Is anyone who owns a Matrix 08 or 09 AWD happy with their car? I understand they are great in snow but there is more to owning a car than driving in snow.
  • Wow! That sure is pretty strong evidence that they KNOW there is a problem that they can't solve! Of course...I am sure they are not going to give you Michelins or other top rated tire as replacement...but who cares!

My 08 XR is not awd...so I can't offer anything there....I do remember looking at the 09 AWD Matrix and the mpg steered me away. Perhaps if I could have found a super low mileage 08 AWD I would have gone that route (believe the earlier awd had the 1.8 sonce that was the only motor offered then besides the turbo'd xrs)

Good luck with you decision....(definetely give some other brands serious consideration, toyota is not what is was only a few short years ago)
  • The 2.4L is a must for AWD. The 1st generation AWD was terribly slow with 1.8. And there was never turbo XRS. It was naturally aspirated 1.8L with 170hp.
    and going strong, for my original equipment Goodyear Eagle RSAs, my Matrix is an '07 FWD. I am fairly sure now they will make 40K without a problem, still hoping for even more, and there is no uneven or unusual tire wear at all.

I rotate them every 10K miles, same as I have with every car I have ever had.

• Thanks nippononly. Exactly the information I need exactly when I need it.
    You're welcome! :-)

• lc007lc007 Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2005 Matrix at the beginning of 2006, with 20,000 miles on it. The dealership had put new tires on it when I bought the car. I drove it till 54,000 miles and needed to replace the tires, now it has 70,000 miles and it needs tires again. I bought Pirelli's and made the tire shop take them off because of the rough ride, they put Mastercraft on it and I got 16,000 miles on them and they are wore to 4/32 already. I have read every article, but no one mentioned a brand tire other than Goodyear Eagles or the Yokohama that somewhat held up, how did the chamber kits installed help with tire wear? Is there a Toyota recall yet or any information I am not aware of? I am having Goodyear Eagles put on next week but the tire dealer said there is no mileage warranty on Goodyear's, is that crap?
    Any additional information would be appreciated.

lc
  • The camber kits work! I am using a relative no-name tire (cant remember the brand right now) b ut I have had NO problems with tire wear after getting the kits installed. Toyota has never recalled the Matrix, nor have they admitted any flaw. And no, they have not paid for any of the tires that mine ate before the kits were installed. I wish you luck...