Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Eos New Owners' Reports

Comments

• cotmccotmc Posts: 1,081
    If I understand correctly, the only upholstery option for the $27,990 base model is Black Leatherette?

It seems like an oxymoron to use black vinyl seats in a category of car (convertible) that should be most popular in the warmer climates! I can't think of any surface/color combination that screams "It's hot in here!" during those sunny days more than that! :mad:
  • mjmnymjmny Posts: 3
    Wondering if anyone else has had these problems. I took delivery of my Eos one week ago. The day I got it, I noticed that this was happening:
    -- I was stopped at a red light on a not particularly steep hill. When I took my foot off the brake, the car rolled backward substantially. Enough that if I didn't stomp on the brake, I could have rolled into the car behind me. It was like driving a manual transmission and not letting out the clutch and giving it some gas when stopped on a hill. This has happened pretty consistently.
    -- Parking on an incline. After putting the car in park, turning off the ignition and taking my foot off the brake, the car rolled downhill. The parking brake did eventually grab but the roll was enough that it could have been into another car in a close parking space. Again, this happens pretty much all the time.
    -- Four days after I got the car, the "check engine" light came on along with the "gas cap open" light. I had not put gas in the car yet. I did take off the cap and then screw it back on and that made the gas warning light go off, but the check engine light stayed on.
    -- After about six days, I noticed that the driver's seat looks worn and has a blue tinge. I'm guessing it's from my jeans. However, I wore the same ones many times when driving my 2004 Accord which also had beige leather seats. The seats did not look as worn after three years as these seats are starting to look now. The passenger seat also has a mark or a stain on it and only one person has sat in it. I'm wondering if the seats were not treated with Scotch Guard or whatever they're supposed to use at the factory.
    -- Finally, yesterday was the first day it rained. When I opened the door, water poured out from the lower sill. But I didn't have any leaks inside the car. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Anyway, I have a service appointment on the day after Christmas. It would be nice to know if anyone else has had any problems like this or if it's just my particular vehicle.

Thanks.
  • mjmny,

I've experienced everything you list except for the "check engine" light. The amazing thing is - you have no leaks inside the car!
    I've had my Eos since Aug and it's been back to the service dept 5 times for leaks in the roof (drips into the back near passenger windows), leak at the driver side A pillar, and the passenger window rolling down when shutting the door. I'm happy to finally have the roof leakage fixed after 3 tries and new seals, but the A pillar leak and the passenger window seems unfixable. I love this car, but not sure if I'm going to stick with it.
  • was my exact worry about this car and is one reason why I am waiting to buy one.

I am sure once VW gets a few hundred thousand of EOSes(sp??) out in the marketplace they will come out with a good permenant fix.

You are going to have to wait a while for it though and maybe be somebody's guinea pig.
  • pbartpbart Posts: 1
    Considering purchasing an EOS or Passat. Love the EOS and for selfish reasons would choose it in a minute, however, I have 2 children (10 & 12) and as a stay at home mom I drive them everywhere. Was wondering if anyone out there owns an EOS or 2 door convertible, who also has children could share their experiences with me. The logical side of me is telling me to stay with the sedan for the obvious reasons...but whenever I look at the EOS practicality goes out the window. Any feedback on either car would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    My nine year old loves the car. She's a big kid and is able to get in and out relatively easily. I have found myself opening and closing the door and adjusting the front seat for her a lot. Mostly this is because I'm being fussy about how the doors and seat are handled. (Being a kid, she's not as careful with things as I would like.)

I will admit that, after the initial thrill of having the new convertible wore off, she did start to complain about getting out of the coupe -- but immediately said that having the convertible was worth it. I suspect there will be fewer complaints come Spring.

Will the EOS be your only car? If so, you may run into challenges with the combination of kids and groceries and the roof in the open position.
    Here's the result of the visit to the dealership.

First, of course, after driving for about a week with the check engine light on, it went off about one mile from the dealership.

However, they ran the diagnostics and did find some problems. They said they rebooted the computer. I'm guessing they did because I had to reset the information screens and the settings on the radio.

Transmission -- the service advisor said they called VW and were told that the rolling on inclines was "normal" for the EOS because it has a unique "manual/automatic" transmission. I found it hard to believe that it is "normal" for a car with an automatic transmission to roll backwards down a hill up to five feet while in drive. I asked for the phone number of the service line at VWoA so I could hear the story for myself. They wouldn't give it to me and referred me to customer service.

On the way back from the dealership and in the subsequent days, I noticed that the problem was now occasional rather than constant. Sometimes it still rolls, but about 80% of the time, the gear holds it on the hill. I'm wondering if the reboot of the computer has something to do with the improvement.

I've since talked to VW customer service and they said they would look into it and call me back. I'll post again when I get the their response.

Seats -- they said it must have been something I did and refused to do anything. They didn't even want to tell me which leather cleaner their detailers used. I got one at an auto parts store and it did a reasonable job on the seat that was turning blue but it didn't do anything on the passenger seat stain. I don't know what caused the stain so I'm now searching the web for advice.

And PTL -- still no leaks!
  • howiebxhowiebx Posts: 20
    I like the EOS and the Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder - any opinions would be appreciated. Base price on Eos ~ 28k vs 25k on the Spyder

thx
  • Hands down on EOS all the way man! You are comparing a hardtop/moonroof convertible to a soft-top convertible! Sorry, not a big fan of Spyder!
  • They use Automagic, and Personally I use a product called Awesome. Believe its only a 1$ a bottle they sell it at the dollar store here in CA not sure where you live. But That stuff has helped me out of a lot of binds with stains and works wonder on vinyl and Carpet spots a great addition to anyones cub bard.
  • Hi all,
    New to the board. My wife took delivery of her EOS just before Halloween and, overall, she loves it! It is pretty cool. The grandkids like it and I don't mind driving it as it's quick and nimble enough (My daily driver is a Mitsu EVO). It's that grey colored sport edition with the black leather interior (no nav). Got it from the dock, so out the door with less than 25 miles on it. Now here's what we're afraid of - she had a '00 Cabrio that she also liked but a ton of problems after 3 1/2 years of owning it. First 3 years were fairly OK, but things started falling apart (interior pieces, gauge cluster died at 55K miles, convertible top mechanism died at 80K miles, all expensive fixes) so we said no more VWs. Then the EOS came out. Damn! Well, today it's at the dealer, not because of leaks but there is a "thump" that we hear from the hardtop at the rear right side. At speed it's OK and with the top down, no problemo, but backing out of a driveway or over a little raod imperfection and "thunk!". We're hoping it's just an adjustment. We've already agreed that if we start having cute little problems again, the car will have to go. I'll let you know what happens from our dealer visit. :confuse:
  • Yucks, sorry to hear that. I've been observing the quality of german automobiles lately. As a result, the only way that I would get to drive this EOS is to lease it. Hey, if there's no problem with this car after 3 years (end of the lease term), I might turned around and purchased it with extended warranty or something like that. At least I would hav a piece of mind driving the car. Keep us posted on your repairs. Good luck.
  • cb391cb391 Posts: 24
    I get that noise from time to time when I hit sharp bumps. Sounds like it might be the trunk latches
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Hi, folks,

Since there have been a number of posts concerning leaks, I've opened a new topic for it. You may notice that a few posts have been moved there:

Volkswagen Eos Water Leaks

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ttilleyttilley Posts: 1
    Driver's side window rolls half way down upon closing door... supposed to roll down 1/2/inch, then back up to seal upper window. Instead it goes halfway down and stays, until you put key in door lock and turn to right and hold..... THEN window rolls back up.

Dealership has tried twice to fix it. Now a tech coming from factory? any success stories concerning having this repaired?
  • eoslovereoslover Posts: 10
    I had the same issue. The problem was fixed only after 4 tries of removing and repositioning the window and then finally replacing the actuator (sp?). I've had my car since Aug - it took 6 mos to figure it out.
  • loose1loose1 Posts: 1
    Hi prospective buyer how's it treating you? would you still buy one? Just wondering... Any 2008 owners yet?
  • freridfrerid Posts: 4
    I have owned mine over six months, and most of that has been over the winter, when I could not put the top down. I have to report that I am very happy with the car. It drives well, is comfortable, and I have not had any problems. I am waiting impatiently for warmer weather so that I can have the top down all of the time. I would buy one again!
  • flheatflheat Posts: 46
    I have owned my Eos since 08/30/06 and have not had a single issue to report. I put my top up and down at least twice daily and had no problems. The car is great, of course I would definately buy it again. I just wish more accessories are made available so I can continue to personalize her. I just had my 5000 service and my experience exceeded by expectations.
  • dadriver1dadriver1 Posts: 2
    I have had my EOS for a week. No problems yet. I have not been in the rain enough to test the roof seals. I do hear a bit of thump in the back that appears to happen when the tranny (2.0T DSG) upshifts. Is this perhaps a normal exhaust noise? This is my first VW. If anyone is familiar with this let me know. Thanks.
  • ctmatthewctmatthew Posts: 1
    I took delivery of a 2.0T in March. At about 5500 miles I started to hear a "thumping" noise from the rear of the car. The car performed fine, but the noise was unsettling. It happened in drive, park, moving, idle, etc.

One day I went to gas up and there was considerable back-pressure when I removed the gas cap. Then the car wouldn't take any fuel. I brought the car to my dealer, Riverbank Volkswagen, in Stamford, CT.

That was a month ago. I still do not have the car. The dealer replaced a pump in the gas tank, then part of an "EVAP" system, then the entire fuel tank explaining that the tank was "imploding.". They gave me the car back and the problem started again one block away from the dealership. I returned the car the next morning.

After waiting for "VW Engineers" to see the car, the dealer determined that "wires were crossed" at the factory. The dealer then told me that when they fixed the wiring issue, the thumping stopped, but a check engine light was on indicating a problem with the EVAP system. Hence, I still do not have my brand new EOS.

Volkswagen Customer Relations has been useless. I am growing progressively more frustrated with both the dealer and VW, and have recently demanded the car be replaced. I now have to initiate lemon law proceedings in hopes of encouraging VW to do the right thing.

The sad part is I loved the car. Yes, there were tiny leaks, the car rolled backward and held gallons of water in the door wells, but the car looked great and ran like hell. I've never received more compliments and thumbs-up about a car. It's a head turner and with the 2.0 is nimble and exciting to drive. At least that's what I can recall. It has been a month since I drove the car. Has anyone had this problem?
  • I've had my 2008 2.0T for one week. I was told by the dealer to avoid high-pressure car washes. "She" had her first (hand) car wash on Tuesday at a local establishment. I checked for leaks (b/c I've read on the boards that this is a common issue). I didn't see any. I'm not quite sure that I was looking in the "right" places. Also, regarding the sealant ... I also was told by the dealer that the product through the dealer is pretty expensive and to just buy a product at a local establishment (basically to save on the cost).

Anyhow, about this thump noise ... is it distinctively loud? I'm wondering if I'd be able to hear it over the stereo. I do have a tendency to listen to loud-er music :o)

I'm wondering if these (most talked-about) issues have been resolved on the 2008 models (crosses fingers).

Anyhow, any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • I love my EOS but have a serious safety issue that VW says they've never heard of from anyone else.

Sometimes when I come to a full stop on a steep grade and then try to get moving again, I can take my foot off the brake and push down on the accelerator and nothing happens except I roll back in the opposite direction. The engine does not rev up and the gear does not engage. I have to roll down to the bottom of the grade and stop before I can get anything to happen. This has happened to me on several occasions and I have ended up trying to avoid steep grades. I do rolling stops when I can't avoid it.

VW has been unable to duplicate this when I've taken it in to them and tell me no one else has reported this issue. Am I all alone out there?

I also have minor leaking around the window but typically only when I take it thru a high pressure car wash.
  • freridfrerid Posts: 4
    Hi, I have a similar problem, but not nearly as bad. If I am on the very steep hill the car will roll backward when I take the foot off the break, but I can usually "catch" it by gently pushing the accelerator. If I push it gently, the engine engages and kind of spurts forward. Perhaps you are pushing down on the accelerator too abbruptly? It does freak me out that a car with an automatic transmission would roll backward on a hill at all. I would think it shouldn't do that. I have had my Eos over a year, and have just gotten used to this, I guess. The only problem is in the winter, when the road is icy, the tires spin when the engine engages. That's not good. I do love my Eos, but this thing with the transmission allowing it to roll backward on a hill I do not like.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,613
    I've had this on many automatic transmission vehicles, although usually more of a problem on heavier vehicles than the EOS. I suggest, if needing to stop on a hill, holding the brake with your left foot and start giving it gas with your right before lifting off the brake.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• The EOS is really a DSG though so I can see a little bit of hesitation as the tranny ECU flutters the outer clutch to try and start on a hill. I noticed it when I tried backing a EOS out of a steep incline a few weeks ago.
  • I have exactly the same problem with VW Eos 2008 2.0T.
    It happens even on the not-so-steep hills and it's like a nightmare to drive in San Francisco. I read the owner's manual and it suggests using the hand brake which is like going back to the manual shift car made decades ago and I don't even know how to drive a stick. Even though this car has DSG, I feel it is not acceptable when I am driving it as an automatic. I didn't pay $$$ to downgrade to manual shift car! I contacted the service department at dealership and I was told that they have never heard of this problem. Looks like many owners are having the same issue here. I spoke with other car owners who drive Tiptronic or similar, and it does not seem to happen to other makes. I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow.
  • I want to start off by saying I love my 2007 EOS and would buy it again! I will even buy another one if they come out with the TDI in the US.

I have experienced a total loss of power when I step on it. I have 4600 miles on it and a couple of times I have turned out into traffic, which the pedal down and BAM it is like the car stalls and then it picks back up and goes like hell! Anyone else experience this. The RPMs just drop. It sometimes happens when I back out of a parking space and put it in drive, I press the accelerator and it starts to move forward but then hesitates really bad and then gets moving...

Does this sound familiar?
  • Is there a way to reset the maintenance warning on the message center myself.

I didn't feel like making an appointment a week in advance with the dealer for a simple oil change, so I bought the VW oil filters for the parts department and had a local mechanic do my oil change with synthetic oil at about 3500 miles, but now that I am approaching 5000 miles, the warning keeps popping up that maintenance is due.

Do I have to take this to the dealer to have it reset? I looked in the manual, but could find anything related to this.

STEVE
  • 2007 VW Eos
    2.0T w/DSG
    Dynaudio/Nav
    18" wheels
    Black on black

1. Top leaked. Dealership fixed w/VW product after pretending to have never heard of the problem (why do these idiots insist on humiliating themselves when there's so much anecdotal evidence online?)
    2. Rattle in dash fixed by dealership (or fixed itself as the dealership claimed they couldn't find the source of the rattle. I read an industry review that refers to the rattle as ubiquitous suggesting the rattle is a hallmark of VWs.
    3. Inside trunk release didn't give enough time to exit the vehicle and open the trunk before the trunk lid closed again. The original dealership claimed to have fixed it but when it happened again I took it to a different dealer and, so far so good. I did get a lot of laughs showing this to my friends.
    4. A few minor missing nuts and bolts the original dealership claimed to have put back but didn't. The second dealership also said they would take care it of but didn't. (They said they ignored this because I didn't pay the $3.00 for the part which I told them was missing from the getgo and should be under warranty. My car has 3K miles on it. Are all the VW dealerships this inept?) Now they say they are ordering the part.
    5. The body must be made of silly putty because I have 2 dings on the doors caused by the most miniscule of bumps. I try to park as far from other cars as possible and usually look for parallel spots. I've found I can park in the most remote part of a parking lot with no cars around for hundreds of feet and still, some [non-permissible content removed] parks right next to me. Maybe the car's magnetic.
    6. By far the most frustrating problem and one that has revealed the shortsightedness of those I've dealt with is the satellite radio. I got the 3 free months of SIRIUS signal and it promptly screwed up cutting in and out and flashing "linking.." on the nav screen. I immediately contacted the original dealership where the guy who sold me the car said he'd heard of this problem and, in fact, the dealership had replace several reception "boxes" located in the trunks. When I brought the car in for service they circled their wagons and claimed to have never heard of the problem (which, again, is all over the net for anyone to verify). Before I dropped the car off I contacted VWUSA and told them of the situation. As my 3 free months were drawing to a close I requested VW underwrite another free trial period since I hadn't had the opportunity to really gauge the quality of their programming. I was told they would review the problem after the dealership found the problem. The dealership claimed there was nothing wrong with the setup and VWUSA refused to cover another trial period. Now my 3 free months are over and I am being besieged by SIRIUS' sales in the form of daily phone calls and eMails, to renew my subscription. I told SIRIUS my Catch 22 problem explaining that their marketing plan to whet our SIRIUS appetites was being wasted and suggested they go online where a lively discussion is waging about the incompatibility of SIRIUS and VW which SIRIUS admits is an issue (VW claims they've never heard of the problem). I am currently waiting for SIRIUS to get back to me having asked them for an additional 3 free months to accurately assess their product however if the incompatibility issue isn't fixed what good is another 3 months of poor signal? Haven't heard back from them.
    7. The side bolsters on the front seats are so big there's precious little space to get in and out of the car without banging your butt into it and the constant butt banging has scratched the cheap leather. I've tried to use the EZ access button on the seat to motor it back enough to enter and exit the car without banging into the side bolster but it seams this only works with the door open making it difficult to impossible to use for this purpose. The problem here is exacerbated by the fact that, although the seats are quite articulate, there's no memory. My wife drives the car too and we are quite different in size and with all the directions the seat is capable of motoring it's nearly impossible to find the same, comfortable position.

My question is Do the Bears have a chance at next year's Superbowl? No, SIRIUSly...is anyone else having these issues and what has been done about them?

Even with all these problems I love the car. I've experienced the rolling back problem in Park but I'm dealing with it. The trunk is a joke. The windshield washers spray over the glass and into the cabin when the sunroof's open. I've seen a great looking aftermarket rear valance that accommodates a dual exhaust which I've got to have