Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Eos New Owners' Reports

Comments

• It is my understanding that only the 2.0L and 2.0L Turbo are the engines that burn oil. If you purchase the 6 cylinder you won't experience the oil consumption.

I had my EOS for 21 months and could not stand the oil consumption anymore so I traded it off. I took a big loss on it, but I was very frustrated with VW customer care.

I absolutely loved the vehicle and if I had it to do again, I would buy it again, but with the more expensive 6 cylinder engine. Hind sight is 20/20.

My VW dealer was very sympathetic, but since I was not burning 1 qt or oil per 1000 miles yet they would not do anything.

For anyone reading this, the EOS is an awesome car, just stay away from the 2.0L engine. Actually any VW with the 2.0L burns oil from what I read on the Internet, Jetta, Passat, Beatle the VW 2.0L is just bad news.

VW really needs to address this because it will give them a bad reputation.
  • ddepke1ddepke1 Posts: 1
    I LOVE this car. Just bought it last week and have had so much fun driving it. My daughters love it and enjoy comments they get from people (especially with the top down. I have the Komfort automatic model with 17" wheels. I compared this car to the BMW and Lexus convertibles and hands down...this is the best convertible out there for the price and financing. I bought my from David Rucker at the Keffer VW dealership in Huntersville, NC. He is the best sales person I have ever dealt with and I am super critical.

Pam Emerson
  • mccher74mccher74 Posts: 1
    I disagree, my clubs fit in my trunk fine. I almost thought I could fit my friends in as well but it was just too snug. So without the screen in the back I was able to fit two sets nicely. It was actually a deciding factor for me when researching. Other convertibles just didn't have the same space. Saab's convertible also had decent space.
  • The dealer told me the "jumpy" transmission in stop & go traffic is normal. However, this surging feels like it is very hard on the transmission. How much "banging" does it take to ruin the transmission. I tried to get used to it, but passengers ask me "what is wrong with my car". This surging :D is like driving a stick with someone popping the clutch all the time.
  • Just joined edmunds today to research oil consumption issue. Have a 2008 EOS (2.0 litre Turbo) and cannot go between standard maintenance intervals without running low of oil. Have started VW's 'oil consumption monitoring plan' which sounds like bull to me however want to follow the rules so when I ask for a new one they can't say I didn't oblige them. I have 2 issues, (1) I'm concerned about engine damage because I've run low on oil twice now (although I did take it in to VW as soon as the low oil light came on) and (2) it looks like an engineering problem with this type of engine which cannot be fixed. Documenting everything and will be writing to VW shortly. Any recommendations from others who have dealt with VW previously? I am not getting much help from the local dealer...they say they get their direction from Germany. :lemon:
  • I read online that if you can get them to rebuilt the motor the oil consumption stops. You are doing the right thing with the oil consumption study. Good Luck!

The EOS is such a fun car, the 2.0T is such a disappointment.
  • jws6jws6 Posts: 3
    YES - we have the same problem and same crap line from VW on the 600 mile "rule " which is bull sh_ _! In addition to this problem it leaks water very badly and grows mold and effects my wifes lungs its aweful! They have replaced all the carpet and its been in 3 times for themold and water problem but still not fixed. I have contacted my attorney as I am going to try and turn it in under the lemon law! Never again will we buy a VW because they know of these problems and will not step up and address the problem head on!

RUN RUN RUN as fast as you can away from this car its a nightmare!
    OMG stay away from the EOS! Its a nightmare! engine problems, burns oil like its going out of style and leaks water very badly! This is a problem with all of them, its all over the internet! STAY AWAY! My buddy nought the Volvo c70 for his wife and had major transmission issues at 25,000 miles then it was one thing after another so he got rid of it! Sorry for all the bad news but I had to tell you. I'd go look and find a Toyota of some kind you cannot go wrong, they run for ever with no maintenance issues. we bought 6 tundras for company they have between 120,000 and 200,000 none of them have had any issues at all! FYI----
    My wife loved hers at first also but its been a nightmare! leaks water real bad in trunk and smells like mold all the time. Burns a ton of oil which is a major problem with all of them its all over the internet! watch the oil closely the light will not come on! Just want you to be aware!! My wife loves driving the car but these problems over shadow the joy!

FYI
  • I think people need to start reporting this to the NTHSA. They have a website that you can post complaints.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

It is worth a shot, if they get enough complaints maybe they will be forced to do something. :confuse:
  • Has anyone had any issues with the Volkswagen EOS top itself? My top stopped working mid-air and wouldn't close or open! I had to call a flatbed truck via VW roadside assistance to have it taken to the Dealership. 2 weeks later, I had the car back for only 30 hours and it happened AGAIN!

I have googled stuff up and down on issues with the actual hard top, but I can't find anything! The Dealership themselves have never seen this issue before either.

I am petrified to drive the car anywhere thinking that the top will not close or open for me and I've only had the car for THREE MONTHS! It's a 2009.

Has anyone esle had similar experiences?

-Amy
  • Ours is a 2008, had it almost 2 years, no roof operational issues yet (knock on wood). In reading the manual, the only rule we try to follow is opening and closing it on level (or close to it) ground.
  • i feel your pain Amy. in fact, when i got my EOS, i leased it, figuring that roof etc issues would ultimately not be my problem.
    yours is the first i've heard, but i'm not at all surprised. if you financed your purchase or lease thru VW, make sure the finance arm knows of your misery. VW credited my lease a month's worth of payments for the 30+ days my EOS was down with transmission issues.
  • Thanks for the reply... you are the only one who has replied so far. I cannot find anyone in the whole world who has had this issue! Now VW is telling me that they need to put a BRAND new top on the car! IT'S 3 MONTHS OLD! And (this is the best part) they are telling me that because it's such a big job that I MAY BE responsible for the costs! I DON'T THINK SO! The top is $8,000! and the labor costs will probably be $2,500 - $3,000! I am so upset about all of this. I couldn't sleep all weekend.
  • dakso99dakso99 Posts: 1
    I had my 2008 1 week- was parked on a slant at work and the same thing happened! Got stuck half up with oil squirting out the top. Had to have it flat-bedded to the dealership. I called up flipping out and they finally agreed to fix it-(back seat is stained from the oil) and give me a rental car for the week it took to fix it. Had no problems since with that, but so many little problems other than that I think I will go back to the audi next time.
  • Yes, this is an issue. My EOS 2008 LUX has had top issues and transmission issues. The lurch when you take your foot off the brake while in drive is a design defect. Mine has been repaired by putting new transmission in after discovering leak at 10,000 miles. VW paid all of it.

You should not be liable for a penny on the top. Covered by warranty. INSIST.

My top issue has been resolved by installing new guide wires.
  • If car is less than 2 years old and has less than 24,000 miles on it the following applies:

Out of service for 30 days OR

Same repair done 3 times or more.

Consult a lawyer online under Lemon Law for your state.

Ask VW to buy back the car and make you whole for window tinting, licenses and any other stuff you added.
  • It's a design defect. Have dealer install new modified transmission. Problem goes away.
  • i also have a 2009 eos and although my actual top is not a problem(yet) i am having a terrible time with other things. the place where the actual top goes into the front window frame leaks like crazy. also when you put the top up the windows are all supposed to go up too except my back drivers side window always goes back down about 1/2 way and i usually don't notice it until i'm walking away from the car then have to go back inside and put it up. also i had a problem with some type of emmissions leak and the gas cap or gasket or something needs replaced. right now it's in the garage (has been for 8 days now) for them to replace some mechanism inside the back window that they say they have never had to do on an eos before so i'm hoping that does it. however, if it keeps leaking i'm going to go nuts. the last new car i bought was an impala and they needed to replace the subframe after only 10,000 miles and i'm afraid i'm in for the same thing with this car. i've only had it 2 months but unless the top is down, i'm not really loving it!
  • " unless the top is down, i'm not really loving it! "

I couldn't agree with you more!!

I have to take it to the dealship tonight to have them look at my windows and why they rattle so much. UGH.

I also wanted to let you know that my back window goes down half way as well, so you're not alone in that aspect!
  • I've been freaking out too. My Eos is a lease as well. I've had it for a year and a half, and in the last year the top has worked maybe 60% of the time. Mine freezes when it says the "boot lid swings out." And I guess I'm fortunate that at least it'll go back down so I don't have to get it towed. But the obnoxious thing is it seems like whenever I take it in because the top freezes, it works for them. So then they tell me there's nothing they can do because it works fine, which is so frustrating! I really don't know what to do because it seems ridiculous to pay what I'm paying for a convertible that doesn't always work. What are our options?
  • I have a 3 month old 2009 EOS. Replying to several message here, my back windows also go up and then back down when the top is put back up. It is now in the shop for the third time. Of course, the windows behaves perfectly when I take it in for service making it difficult to diagnose the problem. Has anyone out there found a solution to this issue?
  • on 5/5/09 purchased new eos at a hefty price as we all know - have had continual problems with leaking roof - 3 repairs later i still take a bath when running car through car wash - was told today not to run it through a car wash - i work 6 days a week and if i knew i had to hand wash this car would not have bought it!!!! also asked (cause I can't find it) where disclaimer is in owners manual that says car has to be handwashed only - no answer. also asked the dealership why they did not tell me and was told that i should know this because of the type of car. EXCUSE ME previously owned a Mercedes SLK230 which is same retractable top and NEVER had a problem. Now am stuck with a $31,000.00 piece of junk - anyone got any ideas for me?
  • Stop everything you are doing and call VWUSA and COMPLAIN! I have had a few problems with my new eos, but I think they have all been taken care of. I placed that call to VWUSA and told them that for $31,000, I expected a quality car, and would not be satified until I got one. They could either fix my car or get me a new one. My car is now fixed, and I am totally enjoying driving it.
    Hang in there!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,431
    The mere fact that they tried to repair it 3 times means it is NOT supposed to do that. Contact a lemon lawyer.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• Have you had the sealant procedure done? There was plenty of talk on edmunds about roof leaks and this VW product. Some kind of non-silicone glop they apply to the rubber gaskets wherever the roof meets the body. I've had the stuff applied twice a year since I bought my 2.0 T in '07 which, because the economy was a lot better, I paid close to $40K for. My top doesn't leak but I wouldn't use a drivethrough carwash in any case. The water pressure is too high. The handwash I go to, at $19.95, knows how to train the water properly for any kind of convertible. I read up on the Eos prior to purchasing it and, despite all the many complaints and talks of lemon laws, I bought it anyway because it's just so cool.
  • Could not say enough GREAT COOL AWESOME GRAND STUPENDOUS HOT TOTALLY SUPERB things about my Eos. Previous owner LOVED this car and kept it in tip top shape. I praise god for babies,she got pregnant and needed a mommy car, so i was able to adopt my new baby the Eos. Not a single problem with it's functionality. I'm looking the improve the Navi/Stereo in it. :)
  • That's great news, we get so used to negative posts in this forum. As with you, we have an 07 that has been a flawless car. We also keep it in top shape and have never had a problem with 25,000+ on the odometer. Keep it up.
  • Starting to have similar problems with my 2008.
    This started with an "accident in the trunk". Transporting toilet bowl cleaner (and groceries) home, and some of the tbc spilled. I cleaned it up as best I could the next day, but the leftover vapors corroded every hinge, cable, lever, etc inside the trunk (where all the conv-top mechanism lives). One day a few weeks later, the top went half way down and stopped. VW dealer assessed the damage and gave me an estimate of "$15,000 plus" . . . fortunately, State Farm covered this under my comprehensive policy. Four weeks later, I got the car back.
    Four weeks after that, the top failed to work: "Convertible Top Fault: Workshop" appears in the message center. Dealer has had it four days now.
    moral to the story: don't spill any chemicals in the trunk!
  • What a story! The issues with my top were sucessfully resolved. I had a nasty rattle coming from the top. The bolts in the top assembly just needed tightening. It sounds like your issue here is with the toilet bowl cleaner, not the Eos. Vapors that are that corrosive will eat through anything. Let us know what product did the damage so we can all stay away from it. Did you think you might have a law suit against the manufacturer of the toilet bowl cleaner? If the stuff leaked in your trunk, then the packaging must have been faulty. Something that nasty should be packaged accordingly, don't you think?

Anyway, I will be extra careful not to put anything in my Eos that can cause that kind of damage. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.