Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Eos New Owners' Reports

Comments

• The TBC had an in-trunk collision with a watermelon.
    But they replaced every blessed cable, hinge, screw, pulley, pump, piston and lever in the mechanism, including the entire top ($6,000 alone). Now there are continuing problems because the dealer doesn't seem to be able to set it up exactly like the factory did.
    Currently, it's spending its fourth day in the shop, and they can get the top down, but not far enough so that the trunk lid closes. Only 8,000 miles on the car.
  • Windows go partially up and down, I can hear the door locks chattering in both doors.  It's happening so much it's like driving in a clown car or as someone else mentioned - a posessed one.  Front windows also roll up in an outward manner and then you can't shut the door or lock the car because it can't close that last gap.Had it to the dealer twice now - the first time they "adjusted" the windows; this time they "can't replicate the problem".  My little EOS is sitting at the dealership until they can do so.  I can't keep driving back and forth in rush hours to drop it off and pick it up.
    Has anyone had this problem or found the solution? I think it's all computer related.
    Thanks.
  • Follow up on the top problem: after six days, finally got my car back. The problem that was so perplexing was due to an "assembly error" during the replacement of the top (from the chemical spill).
    The sensors located in the A-pillar (that sense if the forward corners of the top are in-place) were installed upside down. This caused a "sometimes works, sometimes doesn't" syndrome.
    My career in the design of commercial lighting equipment tells me that someone didn't think enough about this possibility. The rule is, if you can't design some physical "trick" into the part (so that it can't go in backwards, or upside-down) then you stamp "top" or "left" onto the part. I guess they don't teach this in engineering schools anymore.
  • I own a 2008 EOS have been fighting with volks in regards to my oil consumption,I also doing the cunsumption test , what a joke because in the end they will tell me a litre of oil per 2000 km is acceptable sorry not acceptable to me, Going to take it to the media (trouble shooters) I have a friend who also owns a 2008 eos hers does not use oil how does that work if its normal shouldnt they all use oil. I also found out it was using oil when my light went on 2 litres it was down, that is so hard on a new motor,we need to get together and fight this is rediculous we bought new cars and when the engine goes then what. :lemon:
  • I AGREE. I have to say I just got my car recently and I haven't had enough time to really experience "problems." But so far I love this car. I think it drives smooth, and in my opinion Volkswagen is a trust worth company that makes reliable cars. Sometimes I think it does take a little time to pick up speed, but once it gets going, it does go..

I mean for the price, I think what it offers is a good deal.
  • You should have a compression test done on your EOS (you neglected to state whether yours is the 4-banger or the V6). Once in a great while, the manufacturer forgets to install one of the rings on a piston. Saw this happen on a Corvette V8 back in the 1960's . . . small chance, but a compression test would tell you very quickly if the oil is disappearing up the cylinder wall.
    FYI: my opinion . . . two litres down on the oil would be worse for the 2.0T (turbo's are much more sensitive to ANYTHING wrong with the oil). :shades:
  • I have had my 2009 for 6 months now. We got off to a rocky start with some lose bolts in the top, a couple of crimpled wires, and a rear window that seemed to have a mind of its own! All my issues were sucessfully resolved and my EOS has been living up to its promise. This car is just so much fun for the price! There are unfortunately quality control issues with these cars when they come off the assembly line. This is something VW really needs to address. The good news in my case is that my dealership has one of the highest rated VW mechanics in the country. He stays with an issue until he gets it resolved. Anyway, I am loving this car, and as of today, am pleased with the decision to purchase it.
  • Seriously considering buying a new Eos but concerned about quality issues. I want to buy from a dealer who will stand behind the product and provide quality service. Will anyone provide a recommendation?
  • My eos has oil consumption problem they are telling me a litre of oil per 1000km is acceptable, be careful ask about this issue see what they say.I am fighting with VW right now because this is nota acceptable to me. Few other problems which they never seem to fix.Good luck
  • Thanks for you reply, it is a 2.0T I will ask them to do a compression test.
  • First, realize that the EOS, Cadillac XLR, Pontiac G6 convert, and Mercedes and BMW with convertible hardtops are all mechanically similar in the fact that there's a ton of cables, pivots, pulleys, hinges, pistons, hydraulic rams, pumps, electronic sensors, and miles of wire. All these things are to some degree sensitive to corrosion, and are probably not ALL made of stainless steel. Corrosion-resistant coatings are only so good, and if you live in a salt-spray atmosphere, you may want to re-think ANY hard-top convertible.
    As for the dealer, find out what training THE convertible top technician has, and ask for customer references. The one in Evanston, IL can get the problem solved, but it has taken multiple visits and multiple days on each visit. And my EOS only has 9000 miles on it. And Lake Michigan is NOT salt-water.
  • I own a 2007 vw eos and having the same issue. My eos did not burn any oil until I hit 45k, now it is burning a quart of oil every 1400 miles. Not low enough to qualify for VW to actually do anything about it. It is troubling to know that some do and some do not burn oil and they do not see this as a problem. It really ticks me off knowing I paid 36k for a new modern automobile that burns oil so quickly. I do not recommend an eos to anyone. Hopefully more will complain and we can get a recall on these engines.
  • Well, if this is typical for the 2.0turbo, then nearly every Jetta, EOS and Audi A4 have similar issues.
    Anyone owning this engine should read up on "Recommended oil for turbos" . . . very enlightening. Basically, turbos produce lots more heat than any other engine, they like CLEAN oil, and they like the proper VOLUME of oil (they don't like even a quart low) . . . and you might re-think the 5,000 mile oil-change interval, besides using only the best 100% synthetic oil available. But you should read up on this yourselves, and don't take an old hot-rodder's word for it. :shades:
  • My experience with owing an Eos has been frustrating. Primarily at first issues at the dealership not doing their job and not having a clue how to work the stereo system or even that my system did not have a 6 disc cd changer. Getting an operational system took me multiple trips to the dealership.

My current frustration is these windows. They appear ice and snow free however they will not close (typically remain open about 1.5 inches), sometimes they will close, sometimes one will close and the other not. This car creaks and groans terribly in cold weather yet I was assured that this was a great car for winter. Also the trunk lid only opens if it is not too cold out.

Just to note, as in a few other posts, I did have leaking, quite seriously, from my windows. It took 2 trips to get it repaired however it is now winter and I cannot test their work.

I love to drive the car in the summer but it has been nothing but a pain, so far, in the winter.
  • king11king11 Posts: 7
    As I noted in my post #147, I live in the Boston area where we get plenty of snow, ice and freezing temperatures. Are you by any chance in Peterbourough N.H.? If so please contact me @ r.kingsley@comcast.net

I'm close to placing an order for a 2010 Eos.
  • The EOS is not a wet weather car either! the lack of a drip edge ensures my (driver) left leg gets soaked as the "smart" window's crack open when opening/closing the doors. No 2000 vintage vehicle should burn oil... my Saab turbo from 1980's didn't burn, neither should a 2000 VW!!

Read the owner's manual! it reminds all of us suckers to check the oil EVERY Fillup! My mom's 1965 Buick doesn't burn as much as my German beast!
  • It really is a fun car to drive... I miss mine. I would recommend that anyone buying, skip the 2.0 and get the 6 cylinder and they won't have the oil issue.
  • king11king11 Posts: 7
    I test drove a 2019 Komfort saturday. The outside temp. was 21 deg. F We went over typical winter city streets, with bumps, and potholes. Not a peep from the top. The car was as quiet as a solid foof coupe. BTW, the dealer told me that for the 2010 models, VW has extended the maintenence period from 5000mi. to 10000mi.
  • After reading the articles I've googled on oil requirements for Turbo engines, I don't even believe the 5,000 mile intervals . . . and I'm checking the oil level (dipstick) more often. If the oil level gets a quart low, you've lost over 15% of the job the oil does in COOLING the engine (yes, it does more than lubricate).
    I'd like to know what kind of roof-gasket treatment they use at your dealer. I've used Armor-all on the roof gaskets and it works well, but not perfectly (occasional peeps).
  • I am not quite sure what its called , but I bought a tube of it at the dealership. They say you should lube all the rubber everytime you wash the car.