Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Eos Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Tell us about your Eos purchase experience here.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• I have been anxiously awaiting the Eos to arrive at a local VW dealer and got the call from them this week.

I headed to David Michael VW (Freehold, NJ) to finally see it in person.

I test drove a 2.0T auto w/ luxury package.

My thoughts:
    Smaller than I expected.
    Fit/finish was as expected, but lacked the "luxury" feel I had hoped for...
    I had driven the Audi A3 with the same 2.0T engine and was expecting the same exciting engine feel - far from it! The car felt like it was towing an invisible anchor. Could be that it had 40 miles on it and wasn't broken in, but was a detractor for me.
    We had the top down - more wind noise/buffeting than expected as well. I've owned a few convertibles in the past and was slightly surprised by the wind noise. Again, expected better.

All in all, I felt like it didn't live up to the hype.
    Guess I'll need to schlep to the Volvo guys and see if the C70 is REALLY worth the extra $10K!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,285
    David Michael, huh? Hmmm... I may have to find my way over there this weekend.

I'm not expecting alot of luxury out of a $29k car with a retractable hardtop. The hardtop is complicated and expensive ... and, by the way, heavy, which may be the anchor you are referring to.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    I am going to try next week to get an Eos for the day and take my little digital video camera. Not sure that I can get the car for the whole day but even just an hour or so would be nice. I will post some videos of the ride around if I am able to get the car.
  • sobeg6sobeg6 Posts: 50
    Let me know if you really find an EOS for 29K, I think it's impossible. A few options and your up in the mid to high 30's!! good luck :surprise:
    to find one sitting on the lot at that price might be impossible. But ordering one wouldn't be.

• carraracarrara Posts: 8
    My local dealer in the Seattle area is offering me either the base or 2.0T Eos for $1,000 over INVOICE. Which is more than $1,000 off MSRP.

DO NOT PAY MORE THAN MSRP!!! RESEARCH, COMPARE, NEGOTIATE, AND HOLD YOUR GROUND!!!
    how are folks buying this car now?

i just received an email from VW yesterday about going for a test drive, and in the email, they state the EOS is not "officially available until Fall." Are dealers "unofficially" selling their test cars? Would seem silly to me if they are not expected to get any more in until Fall.

• british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Our VW dealer told me the same thing. The only model they have in stock, that is actually right outside my office now as it is being cleaned up, is on consignment and so they cannot sell it.
  • flheatflheat Posts: 46
    I live in orlando and I got a call from the dealer and they have 4 that they just got in (and are for sale) and I bought one and will pick it up tonight. I am getting a dark blue, manual, sport pkg, navigation and 18" wheels, $36,510. I had a trade and I think I am getting a pretty good deal. I am getting slightly above KBB Trade in for mine.
  • Hi,
    Where didyou find the invoice pricing? I looked on edmunds...and all over and found nothing. I really want this car and it's barely in my price range (I totaled my solara convert. - the new ones are too big). Thanks
    Jan
  • They told me the same story about not officially releasing until Fall. I told them that I was ready to buy it now and they didn't have a problem selling it to me. It's official. I bought it.(:
  • I love my new Eos and enjoy watching the roof perform its gymnastics going up and down. I am glad I got the manual--it is fun squealing the tires and I am sure I'll get a ticket in no time. The car accelerates a lot faster than I thought and I am over 60 in no time and it surely does not feel like it. Today I leave my baby Eos back in Orlando as I head to Germany for a 10 day vacation and will practice my driving skills on the autobahn.
  • if you go to local dealers sites and check inventory, in some dealers they list msrp and also invoice, if you checkthe dealers around 20036, wasahington, dc, a dealer in virgiani had the invoice price listed, which is about 2500 less than retail i think
  • Before the dealer received invoice prices, he told me that I could purchase the car for $1,000 over invoice.

Today, he quoted the following actual prices to me:

Base Manual 27,718
    2.0T Manual 29,545
    2.0T Auto 30,618

These include destination charges, but not taxes.

I hope his helps.
    So those are the $1k over invoice prices?

If WITH destination as he says, I guess that makes sense. So that would make invoice $26,718 vs the $28,620 MSRP. $1900 spread sounds a bit low, but believable for the base model, I suppose.

• Thank you so much. In NJ they are selling the 2.0 ot automatic for 34,900 out the door(tax is approx. 2000). So if I offer 33000 out the door, that wouldn't be unreasonable? I've had 2 dealerships stick to 2000 more. Maybe it's just NJ. My family has been telling me to go out of state (Delaware or Maryland-not Pa.or NY). I have cash in hand and approoval for the balance, but can't handle more (I need to get a 2nd car after this)-I really don't need the packed one (although it is nice). BTW, how are VWs on trade ins. I managed to total my Solara Convertible(2003) and got $20000 for it - wss the 4cyl.not leather too). Guess I'm a skeptic.
  • >In NJ they are selling the 2.0 ot automatic for 34,900 out >the door(tax is approx. 2000). So if I offer 33000 out the >door, that wouldn't be unreasonable? I've had 2 dealerships >stick to 2000 more. Maybe it's just NJ.

You are not alone. My VW dealer in Delaware has one on the lot for $35K.
  • I just bought my Eos-just had automatic and the stereo upgrade. I paid 30,800, add taxes, dest etc...plus a "tire tax" in NJ and I paid 32,400 out the door. I guess I did ok for our area. The one thing I missed ...there was a dealership giving tires for the life of the car with the same pricing. I wanted to go with them but they would have to cll around for the color i wanted-I found it 50 miles. I figured that tey would either make me wait (dealers here are not switching cars)or charge me for transporting it north....A bird in hand.... BTY... I love it!
  • I had a 2003 Solara-It was nice-this rides just like it. The hard top is slow but when you don't have a garage, want a convertible and can't afford the Volvo, iit's just the ticket. Head over to Berbardsville or GC Volkswagen in Burlington. Bernardsville was good with internet pricing. I bought mine at VW World in Neptune...exit 100B (Freehold) .5 miles off the GSP. Easy to work with. Honored internet pricing. I got anautomatic with the upgraded audio system-has 3 mos of satellite to start you off (I figured I could turn on my own windshield washers and really didn't like the dimming rearview mirror so the extra package wasn't worth it to me. I got it for just under 33,500-that was out the door price. When I went they had 1 silver with black interior(like the one I got) and 1 fully loaded midnight blue. Good luck :shades:
  • I'm not nearly as savvy as a lot of you out there. But since someone asked about invoice pricing and I haven't seen any info I thought I would throw in what I've found.

From carsdirect.com:
    Base 25,721 (27,990 MSRP)
    2.0T 27.548 (29,990 MSRP)
    3.2L 33,816 (36,850 MSRP)

Is it right? I don't know, but the MSRP seems to agree with other reports. The last I saw there isn't any invoice pricing information on packages or options.

In the San Jose area I have found the following at different dealerships:
    MSRP + almost $8,000 (that's right 8K$ over MSRP)
    MSRP + about $5,000 (said they might deal)
    MSRP and said they were willing to deal on the one car they had (not what I wanted) and MSRP for an order.
    MSRP - $500 for the car I wanted to order (a very loaded Eos)
    MSRP - $800 for the car I wanted to order

None of it has been pleasant, and some of it unpleasant. The big markups really make me pause. The dealer is telling me a profit of a few thousand dollars isn't enough for them. Which makes me wonder what kind of price to expect for parts and service (will they continue to try and extract ever dollar they can?). The last I saw, the cars were not moving off of their lots. All this in the midst of the Volkswagen CFO publicly concerned about the company profits. These markups certainly are not helping the factory sell more cars (nor is it helping their profit margin). In fact, the markups seem to be killing some interest and enthusiasm for the car. There may be plenty of enthusiasm left for the dealers to sell the cars the get at the inflated price. Compare this to what I see with the Toyota Camry Hybrid - the dealers are selling them at MSRP and cannot keep them on the lot (I am told this is true of Camrys in general but especially the hybrid). The Toyota dealers tell me they have waiting lists.
    But maybe it is a good thing for VW if the reliability is still poor (no sense in selling a lot of cars that need repairs - giving them a very black eye). If I got the JD Powers reports right VW is near the bottom on both the initial quality report for 2006 and the report on 3 year old models (2003). I know you can manipulate numbers and there are parts that VW does well, but they don't seem to be making the whole car with the same higher quality of some other manufacturers.

I hope this helps someone. Good luck to all you buyers. I echo the sentiments of carrara . . . shop around and hold your ground.
  • rdmanrdman Posts: 2
    Be warned: VW will not let you order Navigation ($1800) without also ordering "2.0T" ($2000) and Luxury or Sport Package ($3490/3690).

***Therefore, Navigation actually costs a minimum of $7290! ***

And if, for example, you don't want to be part of the animal trade, and prefer the "leatherette" upholstery to leather, you can't have Nav at all. Get lost! (Literally..) :P
  • Bought an EOS 2.0T msrp $36185 for $34185, luxury, DSG, and dynaudio. Price excludes trade and taxes.
  • eseireseir Posts: 26
    We are shooting high profile commercial here in South Florida next week and we were wondering if anyone owns one os these EOS. We only need you and yur car for a few hours and WE WILL PAY YOU VERY WELL for those few hours. Usually we would use the local delerships or rental car companies, but the car is not available through them. Let me know thanks
  • Lucky u!! I want one too! I want to get that same car like yrs. But the damn dealership wanted me to pay $10K more than the MSRP. Mind if I ask which dealership you got yr car from? Perhaps I might just have them shipped it to me.
  • The dealer was Mikan VW, zip 16001, Other local dealers were at msrp, But I also tried Sams club auto service, Mikan was a member and they offered $1000 off because I made contact that way. I have done business in past with this dealer and when we said we would order one without the dynaudio they said they would take the additional $1000 off. Another local dealer has the three original EOS they got, only has sold ordered cars, come north to a dealer lots of convertables here.
  • Thanks for the information. I do have Sams Club and Costco membership. I should have used that service. I hope I will get the same car soon!
  • heymjoheymjo Posts: 8
    The 3.2 Eos is about to arrive. I got a call from a dealer to tell me it would be here in 2-3 weeks. To get pricing, I went to Carsdirect.com. They sent me to a couple of dealers who told me they were selling the Eos at $1,000.00 UNDER sticker. A fairly loaded 3.2 with the nav system and the technology package (but NOT the upgraded Dynaudio system which doesn't seem to be on any of them at this point) was approx. $39.5K. So check pricing on Carsdrect.com before any of you go to a dealer and pay over sticker!
  • Yes! I got my car finally. Only very few honest and reasonable dealerships around here. I am leasing this black /beige/ sport package/ auto EOS 2.0T for 36 months, a little over $600 per month. I think it's okay since my down was VERY minumum. I am EXCITED!! Woohoo!

Other dealearships quoted me $100 per month more than this one! Woohoo.
  • Do you know of an aftermarket nav system for the eos? :shades:
  • Has any one figured out how you can open close with remote the top.? I have read discussions does anyone has the answer? :shades: