Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Highlander Hybrid Electrical/Lighting Problems

Comments

• twnd111twnd111 Posts: 6
    .....What's a TSB?.......
  • rodonnellrodonnell Posts: 37
    A Technical Service Bulletin. Toyota issues them continuously to the Dealer service network.
  • wolfcalwolfcal Posts: 19
    for the 06, i have nothing that says they did this procedure, and have had no problems since battery replacement.. no service recall for this year on that problem either.
    chris
    ok, two tank fill ups.....91 octane.. shells new gas, and then cheveron...540 miles.....NO DIFFERECNE....24.7 to 26.7 average, same as the low grade fuel.
    conclusion..im using the regular unleaded...
    chris
    p.s. btw: no noticeable increase in power either in the hh.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    HH's primary source of power (=TORQUE) comes from the hybrid battery and electric drive motors.
  • gabs1gabs1 Posts: 1
    I have had the identical problem with my 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Every time it rains or on a cold day with excessive moisture, the Climate Control stops working and the GPS screen shuts down with a meesage that there is a connection problem. The READY light no londer displays and the hybrid electrical system no longer works. I can only control the drive side window and the dash lights up with ABS, parking brake etc. messages as well. Since October of 2008 we have been to our local Toyota dealership where we bought the car for over 6 times and they have replaced numerous parts in an attempt to fix the problem. 2 days ago it happened again right after it started raining and now it is back with them again. Has this happened to you again and how was it resolved? Any one else with similar problem. BTW, we also park it slightly nose down on a sloped driveway.
  • itsnicitsnic Posts: 4
    I am a new owner of 08 HH and now have approx. 5k on odometer. Up to now, vehicle has operated flawlessly with mpg improving. My concern is this weekend while interstate driving with dvd playing, head lights on, we came upon a traffic jam that required we idle in place for approx. 15 minutes. In that time, the battery meter showed that the battery discharged to two remaining bars. Once I noticed that, I turned all power items off and I moved to the berm of road and traveled to exit, turned around and drove to recharge battery. What would have happened if I was not able to resume driving to recharge? Is it normal for that amount of battery discharge to occur in that short a period of time? Are there any recommendations for those types of situations?
    Thanks
  • cdptrapcdptrap Posts: 485
    When it reaches two pink bars, the ICE (gas engine) should come on and run to recharge the battery pack. If the ICE does that, then all is normal. If the ICE does not start to recharge, then something is wrong.

The ICE will normally run until there are four blue bars before shutting off.

It is normal for the battery to run down to two pink bars when we have AC blasting and music playing while parked.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    Are there any recommendations for those types of situations?

Just relax and know that your vehicle is saving gas while draining the battery. The ICE will indeed kick back on and power up the battery when it needs to (assuming you are not sitting there in neutral)
    What you experienced is completely normal. Don't bother with turning everything off, your car was designed to operate just this way. For reference, when I drive over to pick my wife up from work, I will have the same symptoms. AC on, Idle, Radio playing, etc and the battery will drain down to the point there the ICE starts up after about 15 minutes.
  • I am also frustrated. My 2007 HH has failed to start 3 times in last 7 months and everytime the dealer claims that the battery was discharged probably due to my fault and all they did was charge the battery and it starts again. I know that I did not leave any lights ON. It is my wife's car and she is also terrified of driving the car now, because she feels that she can be stranded anywhere at anytime. I am so sorry that she chose the HH. Toyota is not a very responsive company to customer problems, very unlike for a Japanese company. Maybe I will send a letter to Nagoya directly.
    after replacing the small battery under the hood, which was a 3 year battery, with a 5 year battery, my 06 hh has not had a single problem. and I truely love my car....maybe spend the $80 to replace the battery under the hood and give it a go..what could it hurt....if it dies again after that,,,you have a problem
    chris
    I would bet my last dollar that a door was left adjar. Easy to do, and the interior light will burn until the battery dies.

You could also disconnect the negative battery cable and then connect an ammeter in series to see if you have a current draw, but then you would be in the position of having to reset your idle solenoid.

Although I have not experienced this battery failure on my 07 with 102,000 miles, I do carry one of those battery jump boxes in the back. Just in case.
    BDW vehicle typically do not have an idle solenoid.
    Actually they do. the idle solenoid resetting procedure is discussed under a TSB from toyota. I dont have the number at the moment, but will post it once I find it.
    Sorry, meant DBW, E-gas, E-throttle. Those systems have a servomotor with dual/redundent feedback to position the throttle butterfly valve throughout its full range.
  • My son shut the rear door manually after I pushed the button to close it. It's been 45 minutes, all the doors are closed and the ceiling light will not go off (I suspect it thinks the rear door is still open (which it isn't)). Of course it's Sunday and no dealers are open. Suggestions?
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    Someone probably moved the light switch on the ceiling light to the on position. There should be three positions--off--on all the time and on when the doors are opened. Move the switch to the last position and this should correct the problem.
  • Does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the standard battery on the 08 HH? I have had it with someone forgetting to shut the tailgate all the way for just a short while and seeing my battery die.... I have read that the answer is to just get a larger capacity battery. Which one is best?
  • monte8monte8 Posts: 75
    "Which one is best?"

Take a look at the Nov. 2009 issue of Consumer Reports, pp. 52-55.

Possibly the Interstate MTP-24.
  • I don't see an answer to this problem, so I'll post mine. My Interior lights are also not turning off when they are supposed to. For me, though, ONLY the Front Interior lights are constantly on; the center and rear Interior ceiling lights turn on and off as they should, when I use the Main switch next to the Front Interior Lights. OFF/Door/ON positions all work for the Center and Rear lights, but not the Front Interior lights.

So, my problem is not the switch, as it can control the Center and Rear Interior lights, and it is not the door sensors/switches because opening and closing each door can control the Center and Rear Lights just fine. It's just the stupid Front Interior lights. I've taken out the bulbs so that my battery doesn't drain, but I still need to solve the problem. Anyone have any insights?
  • monte8monte8 Posts: 75
    Have you taken it in to the dealer? It sounds like a wiring problem.
    the front interior lights are also linked into a swithch that is connected to your door locking mechanism...when you hit the latch open button on your electronic key chain thing your front interior lights go on, also upon leaving the car the front lights stay on for a while and then shut off unless you hit the lock door button on the key chain thing...and then they go off immediately.....if they stay on in the later case, look for the switch that controls this.....or talk to the dealer:>
    chris
  • bamadorbamador Posts: 1
    I have an '06 HH which has been running fine until today. Went out this am and it is dead as a doornail. Any ideas?
    you can research the battery replacement on this site...
    it is usually the smallll battery in the engine compartment, especially if it hasnt been replaced yet.....
  • Yup, I had the same problem last year. I had it towed to the dealer and they replaced the battery (at my cost). I think it cost me about $230 total. I had others tell me I could have replaced the battery myself, but being a girl without any mechanical inclinations I didn't want to screw it up and make more problems. The only downer was the battery turned out to be bad and had to go through the whole process again about 2 months later. at least that time they didn't charge me for another battery. Since then it has been running great.
  • twnd111twnd111 Posts: 6
    I gave up, put in a new heavy duty battery in my HH, and it has been great... no more battery drains. Wondering though why my mileage has gone to pieces,,, shows I am getting about 18 mpg since the change.... read something about resetting the idle, can I do this myself?
    that doesnt make sense. dropping to 18mpg...my 2006hh gets 25-26 normal mountain driving....i wonder if you diconnect the battery terminals, wait a minute and then reconnect them, if that will reset the whole system like with other computers...cant hurt to try...by the way, cheveron gas is the best according to my 4 years of driving and computer readings...normal unleaded....
  • 5toyotas5toyotas Posts: 1
    I have several Toyotas and have talked several family and friends into purchasing Toyotas too. But all good things come to an end (I guess). I bought a new 2007 Highlander Hybrid with all the extras. It was supposed to be my dream car and take me into retirement. HA! The car has had countless electrical problems, and I'm on my third battery. Things in the car don't work properly or consistently. The dealer tries to blame me for every failure this car has. Now he's trying to tell me I don't drive enough and that's why I need another new battery. Come on Toyota, give me a break. I didn't come down with yesterday's rain. Eventually I'm going to be off warranty and on my own. Then what?
    Didn't come down with yesterdays rain. I love it. There is no way your on your third battery, I don't care if your care is just sitting there for two a month with no driving, that just can't happen. But if it really is: I would take your toyota to another dealership upon any next problem..Your warrenty is good at all dealerships and sounds like you have a lemon dealership Your car needs a master mechanic from toyota to work on it if it continues to have anymore problems. Keep all your records and if needed make a complaint on the toyota corporate site...
    good luck, I have the 2006 toyota and it is my dream car. I love driving again and that hasnt happened since I owned Mustangs...