Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M Starting/Stalling problems

Comments

• I believe Chrysler had issues with the 300M series in 2002 and 2003 with sensors and PCs going bad. I found many posts about this and wish I would have known that when I picked up this car. Replace Cam, Crank sensors first. See if that fixes it. If not then replace the PC. Use only official Chrysler parts or your issue may not be resolved. I had to tell the Chrysler mechanics to replace my PC after they had tried everything else with no success. WILL NEVER EVER BUY CHRYSLER again. Going back to Ford
  • jdgearjdgear Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 1999 chrysler 300m. The first day i had it i drove it well over 200 miles without a problem. The next day i went 2 blocks to the store and it stalled when i put it in park. I got it started and while driving it stalled again. When i got to start it now it does not turn over at all. All interior lights and accessories work. After a couple hours it starts. I take it around the block to see how it runs and it works fine until i park it and shut it off. Then it does not turn over at all again. Can ne one help let me know what exactly it might be causing the problem?
  • I am having a similar problem (same make and model) and have had the PCM replace, the crankshaft sensor replaced, the battery and positive cable replaced, but still have starting issues. I took it to another mechanic and he is looking at it now (and I trust him more than I do Chrysler) and is scratching his head over it. I was initially asked about the alarm system and told them I thought it was stock and so they looked at other things. However, when I was looking into things, it reminded me of my daughters truck and similar issues five years ago. It was an aftermarket alarm, but the symptoms were similar, so I'm going to have them look at the alarm system because nothing else is making sense because I'm thinking the system is failing...part of that is because I have noticed the system has occasionally faulted out on me in the last year, so I'm thinking it could be the problem. I'm checking in with my mechanic tomorrow and see what happens with it...

I have been struggling with this for over a month now and it is driving me crazy...
  • omahadbomahadb Posts: 1
    Hi JDGear - I'm having the same issue with my 2001 300M. Stalls at idle and then won't start. I took it to the mechanic (after the tow truck driver started it :-( no kidding!!!) and it proceeded to die in front of the mechanic's shop. Battery tested good, lights, gauges all work (leading me to think the battery is okay) but it won't crank or solenoid click. After 30 minutes of dinking around -- it started. We're baffled. Can you tell me what the outcome was on your 300M in order to get it up and running?
    Thanks -- and I owe you a beer!
    Dale.
  • Can someone tell me what happens to these cars and how do they fix this problem. for real.
    I dont want to start hanging parts and guessing, It seems alot of 300 m folks have the same 3 starts and then NO CRANK issue. I have seen no resolution unless I missed it.
    Please help.

I replaced the evaporator core, now I have the same no start problem, It started 3 times dies quickly, now wont crank at all.

Thank you.
  • dgrams1dgrams1 Posts: 7
    A possible fix I heard on an auto talk show was when cars get old(er) they require having the intake system cleaned with a system like from your Chrysler dealer. I was beginning to experience stumbling etc. Had that done several years ago and have had no problems with my '99 300M outside of an occasional high RPM upon start-up but goes away to normal idle after a little while. Up to 1700 RPM...
  • Pardon me but my car WONT START , it worked fine before I took the dashboard apart.

It started 3 times at idle, and quit quickly. Then after 3 times restarting it will no longer even crank with hte key.
    I can get it to crank over by jumping across the start relay, but it will not run, just cranks.

This 2000 300 m will NOT TURN OVER using the ignition key.

Wont work with the remote start system either.
    Wished I could disable it to be sure ther eis no conflict.

I removed the intake a yr ago and cleaned it while doing head gaskets.

I left the battery unhooked for a couple days, could this have caused the ecm to need re programed?

help
  • I went through the same issue on my car and after much research and replacing the cam sensor crank sensor and it still happened I made them replace the PC ($600) but it did the trick. No more stalling. I will never buy a Chrysler again, but plan on driving the wheels off this one
  • hi,

Your telling me out of the blue clear sky your car developed an issue like this? It started up and would idle only for a few seconds, then would stall in park, cold, sitting still.
    Then after 3 times it would NO longer crank over with the key anymore?
    I could replace cam and crank sensors all day long that will not enguage the starter when the key is turned. This car will not crank. It seems the red light on the dash is flashing different than ever before and I do have a code P1685. Something about faulty key.

I would like to know how to rest the theft system and allow the car to start with my key I normally use. I cant help but think this is a security system issue.

Thank you
    Mike
  • Does anyone know how to bypass or rest the security system on this type car?
    Seems several have had simular isses but I see no solutions. Surely someone has had this problem and knows the proper resolution.

Car started 3 times and stalled. Then would not crank using the key. All systems seem good, The red dash light flashes differently than ever before.
    it had a code p1685, Skim,,,, How can I reset the system????????

Thank you.
  • Hi,
    I had a 3 start tries and now this car will not crank . everything is in good order but I cannot figure out why It will not turn over.
    The red light on dash is flashing much more than before.
    The code i have says It could be a key issue. YES I tried an old key as well as the normally used key.
    Now I need to know how to reset the system. So when I turn the key something happens.

Can someone help with how the security system works, and what the dealership does to reset the code/ system. Re program it so it starts.
    Thanks
  • I was just reading on the No start situation for my car - your symptom is detail specific to the cure I read than my own problem.

3 Failed start attempts can put system in "lockout mode"
    - the solution as I read it is -
    Turn ignition key to the "on" position and leave it there for 1 full hour!
    -MAKE SURE ALL interior electronics are turned off, such as blower, radio etc etc.
    If necessary - have a charger connected to battery to keep battery from discharging.
  • WOW,, nice info i truely hope it works. Thank you so much for the info. Curious to know where to find that type info.

Thanks again.
  • I left the key on for over an hour. This did NOT remedy the no start problem.
    Will not crank . Dash red saftey light flashes continously.
    Who knows how to RESET the security system on a 2000 300 M.

Tried tap the brake pedal after unhooking battery. Also unlock and lock doors with key, nothing seems to reset or disable the security system.

Thank you.

Mike
  • My 300 was doing the same thing, and my mechanic was baffled, we had a ton of things replace and one day I found a guy with the same problem that hooked up a diagnosis machine while driving and found that the EGR valve needed replacing....we replaced that and it hasn't died since and that was over a year ago....now I am having problems with it jerking when it reaches over 40mph...
  • My 4th gear on my transmission went at 98k miles, you may be having transmission slippage in 2nd or 3rd gear. (complete rebuild for $1800)
    Put the car into manual shift mode and try 2nd 3rd and 4th gear by hand
    you may find that on eof them is slipping causing the jerking motion.
  • Hi,
    Not sure where you combined your stalling issue with our "WILL NOT CRANK" or start.

I fixed the problem and the engine runs great.
    TRANSPONDER will control the security system and after three starts will lock it out and not allow starting elcetrical circuit to function.

thanks anyway.
  • I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C but had the same problem. It was the KEY.

We had already taken both of our keys to the dealership for not working....... several times. The one that is used most days and the one that is hardly ever used. They both are crap.

We took our key apart, roughed up the connections, replaced the battery and no more problems with the car not starting and or starting and then stalling.
  • Hi,

Thank you for responding in direct relevance to the problem we had. It was the TRANSPONDER to KEY relationship.

Hope the 100"S who have had the same issue dont contine to spend thousands on unrelated parts.

Thanks again.
  • blank2blank2 Posts: 1
    was going down the freeway and the car died and had it towed home would not start just turning over and it is not getting no spark ??????????????/