Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    Tony,

No reason to get rid of your A8. Looks sharp, the one time I saw it, & if you're happy with the reliability, seems like a no-brainer to wait until something makes your jaw drop. Life is too short to compromise. :shades:

One thing I wonder about though is if you'll get hit when you sell it based on the color. I, for one, think it looks great, but you know the deal. If it's not black, silver or gray, it's not a hot commodity, so someone may try to short you. I sure hope that's not the case for you.

I've been tasked to find a car for my Mom, believe it or not. She wants a mid-size, luxury, AWD car. Wants nothing to do with Lexus, likely do to bad press. I suggested the E, but apparently not to her liking. I think it's going to come down to an A6 or the new M. Going to do research, don't want to steer her wrong. I'm thinking I may purchase it as a gift for Mother's Day if I can make a choice quickly.
    I'm enjoying the Jag for now, and patiently waiting for something very cool and environmentally friendly to come along one of these years.

If I read that you buy a plug in Prius, or something like that, I'm coming to Cali to steal your Jag. ;)
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    If I read that you buy a plug in Prius, or something like that, I'm coming to Cali to steal your Jag

HA...

Phil... You'll be one of the first to know!... but the crazy thing about this is that I seem to be in no hurry at all, and really have no idea whatsoever what I want to do regarding the next car.

I can't remember caring less about buying a car at any time in my adult life.

There's just nothing out there that interests me right now, and the Jag is providing me a supreme ride in the meantime.

But, regardless, find an excuse to come on out to California anyway. There's no shortage of fun and excitement out here, and plenty of gorgeous scenery and damned good weather. You'll have a blast.

TM
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I've been tasked to find a car for my Mom, believe it or not. She wants a mid-size, luxury, AWD car. Wants nothing to do with Lexus, likely do to bad press. I suggested the E, but apparently not to her liking. I think it's going to come down to an A6 or the new M. Going to do research, don't want to steer her wrong. I'm thinking I may purchase it as a gift for Mother's Day if I can make a choice quickly.

The GS350 AWD isn't a great choice anyway. It's been unreliable since launch, and the GS overall is a really mediocre design. The A6 3.0T is still great, but it's an old design that's due for replacement.

The M37x is probably the best choice right now. The exterior is a bit strange from some angles, but the interior is a grand slam, and not just by Infiniti standards. I think it's much nicer than the E's comparatively dry and rather cold interior styling. The previous gen M was the most reliable car in its class, and assuming that continues, that's another bullet point in the M's favor.

This time BMW will be launching the 528, 535, and 550xi only a few months after the RWD versions, sometime in the fall.
    I'm enjoying the Jag for now, and patiently waiting for something very cool and environmentally friendly to come along one of these years.

Fisker, maybe? Supposedly the Karma is not that far away from actual production, and it's certainly a lot more interesting than the Volt :)

Tag,

IMO, we are at the point where buying a brute maybe at an end for awhile. Now is the time to get a monster before we have nothing but toasters to choose from. Kind of like the old movie The Road Warrior. Get one of the last V8 Interceptors, so to speak. I think there are plenty of great choices now, that won't be around/legal later.

The next round of HP wars will probably be built around smaller engines with hybrid support. Everyone seems to realize cutting weight is a priority too. Which I agree with. However, switching to lighter weight metals like aluminum will also increase fix-it costs by a large margin.

As far as Cali goes, you sounded like an ad paid for by the state sponsoring a Law & Order Marathon. :P

I've been there many times, but haven't hit all the hot spots. I spend most of my time in Big Bear helping coach young atheletes.
    My Mom actually mentioned she like the Infinit styling the most. Now, I can't guarantee she knows the difference between the G & the M,& apparently, that's not an unusual notion.

The only thing that bothers me is the first model year tabboo. But, I believe, along with the leap I made with Audi, that Infiniti is on the right track. It's definitely her lead dog in the race, & unless I find something really negative, probably the way to go.

LG, I do really value your info/posts.

Thanks.
    Fisker, maybe?

Well... as you know, LG, I've been keeping an eye on Fisker from the beginning. Here's a recent update on Fisker for anyone else that is interested...

The U.S. Department of Energy yesterday [just recently] announced the closing of a $528.7 million loan to Fisker Automotive for the development of tow plug-in hybrid electric-vehicles. The loan will give Fisker the resources to produce the Karma plug-in hybrid sedan and a line of family oriented models being developed under the company’s Project NINA program.

“The story of Fisker is a story of ingenuity of an American company, a commitment to innovation by the U.S. government and the perseverance of the American auto industry,” said Vice President Joe Biden. “The Boxwood Plant is opening again, employing workers in Delaware, and is serving as a roadmap for all we can accomplish if everyone works together. Thanks to real dedication by this Administration, loans from the Department of Energy, the creativity of U.S. companies and the tenacity of great state partners like Delaware – we’re on our way to helping America’s auto industry reclaim its top position in the global market.”

Fisker said that it expects to build the Karma and Project NINA lines at a recently closed General Motors facility in Wilmington, Delaware. Fisker anticipates that it will employ 2,000 assembly workers.

The Fisker Karma is scheduled to appear in showrooms in late 2010. The Project NINA line is expected to begin rolling off the assembly line in late 2012.

Refresher: Power comes from Fisker’s Q-DRIVE system, which is made up of two 201-hp electric motors that are powered by a lithium-ion battery pack. That allows the 2010 Karma to travel up to 50 miles without the use of any gasoline. A generator attached to a 260-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter Ecotec direct injection gasoline engine by General Motors provides an extended range of up to 300 miles. 0 to 60 mph comes in 5.8 seconds with a top speed of 125 mph.

Overall, I like the appearance of the Fisker Karma, and I like what I have read about it so far, and it does seem that it is on its way to becoming a reality.

TM
    IMO, we are at the point where buying a brute maybe at an end for awhile. Now is the time to get a monster before we have nothing but toasters to choose from. Kind of like the old movie The Road Warrior. Get one of the last V8 Interceptors, so to speak. I think there are plenty of great choices now, that won't be around/legal later.

Like an RS5, maybe? Audi USA has green lit the car for our shores, and from all indications it is very good. 450 horsepower, the most advanced Quattro system ever, and unlike the R8, it uses the S-tronic DSG that actually works.

Here's a review from Autocar
    The only thing that bothers me is the first model year tabboo. But, I believe, along with the leap I made with Audi, that Infiniti is on the right track. It's definitely her lead dog in the race, & unless I find something really negative, probably the way to go.

Yeah teething issues can definitely be a concern, especially with highly complex luxury cars. Infiniti has been doing very well lately though, both the recently introduced EX and FX models were not problematic in their first years. If I had to bet on the new M or the new 5 in a reliability contest, my money would be on the Infiniti, no question.
  • kyllekylle Member Posts: 4
    wow! nice car!
    I am very seriously considering the RS5 as a purchase next year. Fits the bill perfectly of a car that we may never see the likes of again, for good or bad. My only hesitation is that my S5 has been such a superb daily driver for 18.5k miles, it might be somewhat redundant. I have no good reason to get rid of the S5, but I do want a true wolf in sheeps' clothing before we're reduced to driving eggbeaters.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Man where have you been?

I got that color as it doesn`t have to always be washed ..The last Lexus was Eggplant purple....Never again....Further I always get` shorted` now a day..Even when I go into the grocery store.....Next time the meat is two dollars cheaper that day :)....I`m tricking the whole group by keeping the car much longer than I expected, and to fill the need for change I`m getting maybe a Gator, or a Polaris 4x6....and taking Tag`s suggestion to also compare the Kobuta to the John Deere tractor.....I wonder if anyone has any thought on the Polaris 4x6?? all I know is John Deere in the large tractors are really very reliable therefore I assume the Gator would be also....I saw a video of one and it sounded rather loud so that was a turnoff...Of course I`l check both against each other personally.... Nice to hear from you again :) Tony
    I have no good reason to get rid of the S5, but I do want a true wolf in sheeps' clothing before we're reduced to driving eggbeaters.

The S5 is a very capable car and in 99% of situations the extra capabilities of the RS would most likely go unused. With the right conditions and on the right road however, that's when it all comes together. The question is, is it worth it for that 1%.

I'm not so sure that we're going to be reduced to driving eggbeaters. A Volt-style gasoline or diesel-electric drive system is probably going to become mainstream in the next two decades, but I don't think those cars will be any more or less appliance like than a 4cyl Camry you can buy right now. They'll just be more efficient.

I think the future for high performance cars is much brighter now than it was in the days when V8s went from 350hp to 150hp.

I think the future for high performance cars is much brighter now than it was in the days when V8s went from 350hp to 150hp.

Exactly.

BTW, The Porsche is only about 100 committments shy of being produced. Porsche has about 900 probable sales and needs 1,000 to produce the car.

How 'bout you?

or Phil?

;)

TM
    Man where have you been?

Since the restraints were tightened on this forum some time back, the posting has dropped off considerably. As a result, I don't check in as often as in the past, because it doesn't take too long to catch up on, what, 25 posts in a good month? :sick:

I didn't follow the others to the stock market forum, because a dedicated forum to it is more than I care to follow. It was an example of good conversation that used to be on here before getting the axe.
    How 'bout you?

or Phil?

Beautiful car. :shades:

But count me out. That's more of a wolf in dragon's clothing. :surprise:

Besides, ingress/egress would no doubt not be to my liking. ;)
    Greetings

It has been a change , but at least we all have been able to stick together......I understand why Pat and the company did what they did, although it was abrupt, at least Pat helped me to figure the new system out, so I just t type one letter and the stock market comments come up.....All you guys know so much more than me , particularly about electronics, that I really value the occasional input I get from all of you, and for me you have been missed......Tony ps I think the Audi 6 is about to change, but I swear I haven`t been taken with anything other than the Mercedes E, so I am not doing anything...
    I think the Audi 6 is about to change, but I swear I haven`t been taken with anything other than the Mercedes E, so I am not doing anything...

Yep, they are following the same pattern as last time, when the '04 A8 preceded the '05 A6. Since we have the new A8 this year, the new A6 will be next year. It will shift to the MLP front-midship modular platform used in all of their recent models, and should get Drive Select and the QuattroSport torque vectoring system. The 3.0T engine is likely to carry over unchanged, and there will probably be a small bump in power for the V8. The S6 is supposed to drop the V10 for a twin turbo V8.
    You sure know your stuff :) Thanks Tony
    You sure know your stuff

So I've heard. :)

The new A6 is supposed to be closely related to the A7, and I expect the luxury quotient will increase by a notch or two because of that. The A6 is also a critically important car for the Chinese market, so I think Audi is going to ensure that the new one is VERY good. I'm looking forward to it.
    I swear I haven`t been taken with anything other than the Mercedes E, so I am not doing anything...

Smart.

TM
    You wouldn`t by chance broaden your knowledge , and tell me your thoughts on a Polaris 6x6 ranger vs the John deere 4x6 ?? :) Tony
    You wouldn`t by chance broaden your knowledge , and tell me your thoughts on a Polaris 6x6 ranger vs the John deere 4x6 ?

Hahaha sorry, you lost me on that one :)
    Tony,
    I have a relative that knows a whole lot about that type of stuff. Do you really need some feedback? If so, give me the details and I'll contact him tomorrow.
    TM
    Thank You

As you may recall, I have gone back to the farm to help with some of the problems, and one of them involves the dike work...The dikes are a mile or so long, and the tidal river is always encroaching....The dike material has a crust maybe eight inches ten deep then it turns to mud...A normal 4 wheeled vehicle will break through after only a couple of trips, so I need the flotation that 6x6 will provide....The JD Gator has the flotation, bit the front wheels don`t pull, where as the Polaris 6x6 does, and the bed, although small would carry either man sized stone or dirt, and I could build a small retaining wall and dump right into it.....Both have a belt driven transmission (not the best) but if used in the proper gear o k. I was hoping someone would possibly have some thoughts....Thanks again Tony
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Plus with an A8 you would never have to worry about getting home any winter night if you lived anywhere north or east of the George Washington Bridge.

The 7 Series never addressed that huge market. Sure, the 7 Series this year now has AWD for the first time (hey, I thought this was the Ultimate Drivib Machine?), but it is rare and unproven.
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    LG, what is the going price for this Porsche? It is probably not cheap.
    My LFA is going to be close to 500K big ones. I am one of the lucky 10 getting a chance to get the super Lexus in Canada.
    edited April 2010
    LG, what is the going price for this Porsche? It is probably not cheap.

I don't think Porsche has been willing to do discuss pricing yet, but assuming the 918 gets the green light for production, it would most likely slot into the top of the lineup as the replacement for the Carrera GT, so figure $450K - stratosphere.
    The Lexus is also stratosphere @ 1/2 a mil.

If I were to choose one, it'd be the Porsche, hands down.

TM
    edited April 2010

If I were to choose one, it'd be the Porsche, hands down.

The Porsche's drive system is really neat, but I just don't think I could spend that kind of money on a car. Then again, I wouldn't even blink at a $500K stereo, so perhaps I shouldn't talk :)

I will be paying a lot of attention though to the upcoming S6 and S7. The XK is still fine and I'm going to be keeping that for awhile longer. I'm not sure yet what I want to do next there, as I've been driving XKs for quite awhile and I'd like to go in another direction. XE maybe? Gran Turismo convertible? That's a real possibility. SL seems unlikely as MB styling isn't doing it for me.
    That makes sense, special car, special price. It is a real looker, but so is the LFA in the convertible display. However, I don't believe Lexus is going to produce it.
    With Lexus claiming publicly that it would lose money on every single LFA at 500 units production run, I wonder what P has do to make money on the 918, or this is its halo car.
    edited April 2010
    I am not surprise that you would pick the 918. It has the good looks and the specs of a supercar.
    I was walking on Ocean Drive in Miami a couple of days ago, and a fairly new vert Lambo was putting on a display of looks and 0-?MPH performance. It is one good looking automobile, but I have to say the LFA's engine sound has it beaten easily.
    An auto writer in one of the biggest newspaper in Canada has already picked the LFA as #1 collectible car amongst the crop of new cars. So that sort of confirms one of my believes towards to car, now I am keeping my fingers crossed that its value would hold up over times.
    edited April 2010
    An auto writer in one of the biggest newspaper in Canada has already picked the LFA as #1 collectible car amongst the crop of new cars. So that sort of confirms one of my believes towards to car, now I am keeping my fingers crossed that its value would hold up over times.

It would be highly unlikely that he included the Porsche in his evaluation because the production of the Porsche isn't officially announced yet. I previously posted that the car needs to have 1000 willing buyers, and there are currrently around 900. IMO, there will be 1000 any day now, but production certainly isn't official until Porsche says so.

I more frequently post in the "Stock Market and Investing" Forum lately, because we are able to enjoy greater latitude to the discussions over there than here, and if we were to discuss the "investment" value between the Lexus and the Porsche, I can tell you right now that I would be in the Porsche camp on that one, and I believe that most "investors" would agree with me. Assuming the Porsche is produced, I would predict that it will be worth more than the Lexus one day. I know that if I were to "invest" in one of them, it would be the Porsche without blinking an eye.

Let me clarify, however, that I believe that it is very risky to purchase automobiles as an "investment", although I think the workd "collectible" is more appropriate. That said, I do realize that a highly sought after collectible would have investment value, however, so there is certainly merit to the whole idea, and there are numerous people that do just that... and they can and do make a whole lot of money in the process... but it requires a lot of patience and risk.

My point here is that if you are going to spend about a half million on a car, and you are choosing between the Lexus LFA and the Porsche 918 Spyder based upon investment value, I maintain that the Porsche is the much better choice... by a whopping margin. You can always find reasons to convince yourself of what you want to believe, so if you are bent on getting the LFA, which it seems like you are, then you should get it because you love it, perhaps because its exhaust note seduces you, but don't buy it for its "investment" value. If that's your primary criteria, I strongly suggest that you buy the Porsche.

The Porsche, IMO, is a half million times sexier then the LFA, and it has a superior pedigree to go along with it.

TM
    Wow, that was a detailed reply.
    I originally picked the LFA as an investment idea, but that has changed because the more I studied it, the more I like it as a supercar.
    I am fortunate that my other investments are doing very well, so I am not worry about keeping the LFA for a long time and have some fun with it. The idea of having a rare car is growing on me by the day. I would buy the 918 too if given a chance, but that would be very unlikely since its distribution is probably aimed at previous P car owners, if it ever get produced. ;)
    edited April 2010
    Wow, that was a detailed reply.

Was warranted... you are making a big decision. No value to any BS.

I would buy the 918 too if given a chance, but that would be very unlikely since its distribution is probably aimed at previous P car owners, if it ever get produced.

Not my understanding at all... you might still have a very real chance. If you will contact your Porsche dealer right now, and can demonstrate genuine and very serious intent, then I believe you might still have a true and awesome opportunity.

TM
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    It is with great sadness that we announce that our dedicated Host, Pat, passed away just before midnight on April 29. Pat battled a rare autoimmune disease called systemic Scleroderma.

Pat became a member of the Forums in 1997 and was asked to become a host in 1999. Pat was diligent in her role as the Host of Sedans and while some may not always have agreed with her decisions, she always sought to make Sedans an inclusive place for automotive consumers to gain information and support. As a co-worker and friend, she will be greatly missed. At this very sad time for Pat’s family, we extend our deepest sympathy and condolences.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited April 2010
    So sorry to hear the sad news about Pat. My deepest condolences and sympathy to her family and friends, as well. I will miss her interjections and sense of humor. May she RIP.
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    edited April 2010
    I add my condolences to those of Carnaught and for sure of the other fellow posters here. I appreciated very much the comments and feelings exposed by Pat as Edmunds Host; I believe these comments showed Pat's deep and tender nature, even more now than I know what tough illness she suffered from. RIP.

Regards,
    Jose
    edited April 2010
    Absolutely horrible news.

Pat always had good intentions, and was privately very helpful to me at one time... I am so sad to learn of this.

She will be missed by many.

I will also post this in the other forum where I participate.

This was just placed on the internet within hours of Pat's departure:

An international research consortium including scientists from The University of Texas Health Science Centre at Houston (UTHealth) has identified a new genetic link to the systemic form of scleroderma. Researchers believe a thorough understanding of the genetic nature of the disease is crucial to developing a cure.

more info: link title

TM
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited April 2010
    Damn! :sick:

I first met Pat in CA back when Edmunds participated in an event having to do with the Lincoln LS in January of '01 (that was before it was pointed out that such a car wasn't really worthy). Very helpful then, and her comments in the various forums she's dealt with since were always reasonable. I didn't always agree, but she did what I considered a very professional job.

My condolences to her family & friends & my thanks to you for keeping our community aware of this sort of thing, sad though it may be.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    My Very Deepst Condolences to Pat and her family. She will exist at a higher level in the Edmund's forums forever.

She is not gone. Where would she go?

Regards,
    OW
    Just so sad, got to live life to the fullest....
    I maintain that the Porsche is the much better choice... by a whopping margin.

I would probably agree with that. The 918 is, in its own way, a bit like the 959 was when it was first released. There was just nothing else like it out there. The LFA may be Toyota's first carbon fiber V-10 super car, but its hardly the first time that has been done. 2004's Carrera GT was built much the same way, it's V-10 was more powerful, and the LFA would lose against the Porsche in a straight line fight.

If I were going to buy the LFA for investment purposes, I would buy one of the run of 50 or so "Nurburgring Edition" specials, put it in a box, and never touch it. Those are going to be worth something someday. The regular ones I'm not sure about.

In any case, I'm perfectly happy to lose money on cars, and make money with traditional investments.
    edited April 2010
    Sorry to hear that, Karen. My condolences to Pat's family.
    In any case, I'm perfectly happy to lose money on cars, and make money with traditional investments.

HA... That's a good thing... because you will definitely lose money on the vast majority of the cars you purchase, and more likely ALL the cars you purchase.

And, hopefully your traditional investments are doing well. Many of us from this forum enjoy talking about investments in the Stocks and Investments forum, in case you'd like to join us. You're a smart fellow, and you might have some good insights for us.

Anyway, from what I can tell, we are all doing very well with our investments, although this last week has been challenging, and has been more about trying to find some bargains in the rubble... but even those bargains might continue to decline next week, because there is a very good chance we are in for some nasty bleeding in the stock market next week.

TM
    All true, the only thing the LFA has is the quickest wet lap on Top Gear for now. However, I think Lexus is pulling the equivalent of the 1989 LS400 with this car in the supercar category. You will have to drive it to appreciate how good it is compare to it peers.

On the 918 Spyder, I did not know that it has a plug-in Hybrid drive system. I think that may affect its long term value since car collectors generally appreciate the more traditional setup. I think Lexus got it right by not putting a hybrid system in the LFA. They probably learned a thing or two from making the GSh that hybrid is not so hot for performance once the battery juice is drained.
    We just got a reminder that nothing is forever, so enjoy your financial successes while you can :D:D:D
    It would be a pure bonus if my LFA doubled in value one day...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If anyone would like to express their condolences directly to her family, you may do so here:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pilotonline/obituary.aspx?n=patricia-inman&pid=- 142371375
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    I'm so sorry to hear this. She brought grace, uncommonly common sense & good humor to a job that's tough to do well. She made it look easy.

We will miss her. My deepest condolences to her family & friends.