Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES Solving Rattles and Noises

2»

Comments

• ronv4ronv4 Posts: 6
    I agree its strange and I'm a bit skeptical but the guy seemed like pretty sure that they solved the problem. Although I do agree with you we need some really cold weather before I can confirm that the problem has been rectified. Fingers crossed.
    More to follow.
    Take Care
  • don90don90 Posts: 14
    I have just purchased a new ES350 and I notice that when the wiper switch is left in the auto position the wipers will make one swipe across a dry windshield as soon as I push the start button. I can not predict when this will happen, it may happen two or three times in one day and then it has gone more then a week with out happening. this happens always on a dry windshield, car could be in the garage for a couple of days and when I push the start button as the car is starting the windshild wipers will make one swipe. Have been back to the dealer but they say they can't get it to fail and that they need to see it fail before Lexus will authorize any parts to fix the problem. I was wondering if any other owner has experienced this problem and if your dealer was able to stop this from happening. Any help would be very much appreciated.
  • We are making progress. We drove from Missouri to Michigan for the holiday. While in Michigan, we took my car to the Lexus dealer here for an oil change and described the rattle problem to them, thinking a fresh set of eyes and ears might see what others had missed. These guys listened to what I was saying instead of just looking at tech bulletins and addressing what they expected to find instead of what was actually there. I might be a woman, but I knew what I heard and I knew where it seemed to originate. When I said the noise was coming from the wheelwell or undercarriage, that's where they looked instead of the dash or the sunroof. And guess what..... they found a broken strut mount, which they replaced. What they replaced is called the Front Suspension Support Assembly. The car sat out in the cold last night. I drove it this morning and it's quiet....no rattle; no thumping. I hope this is the end of that issue. I am pretty confident that they have finally gotten to the source of the problem. I'll know for sure in the next day or so, after driving it multiple times. It's been nice chatting with you ronv4, but on this issue, frankly, I hope we never meet again!!!!!
  • Back to square one Ronv4. It still rattles. How did your door pillar fix work?
    I had the strut mount fixed as well along with all of the other fixes previously described and they didn't correct the problem. However its been a week since the roof pillar fix on the driver side was done and so far NO rattles. It hasn't been that cold (around 40 degress) so I can't totally confirm the problem has been rectified however this time I really feel they go it right (i.e clips in the roof pillar - requires roof liner to be dropped and roof pilar cover removed). The car is very quiet and I can't detect the noise anymore. Cold weather is predicted later in the week and that will be the real test but so far No Rattle. I hope this helps and I'll advise you more later in the week.
    Update - Good news - It got real cold in the NE, down to around 18 degrees and averaging around 25 degrees for the past few days and still No rattle at all. I'm almost totally convinced that the problem was in fact in the roof pillar - drivers side. Although like you I was skeptical and felt the noise was coming from under the drivers side wheel well, I think I may have been wrong. So far so good.
    Why don't you give it a try and have your dealer check it out. What do you have to lose? I really hope it works out.
    Let me know.
    Ron
  • I wondered where you are located. (but is "the NE" ,mentioned in your message Nebraska or New England?) On January 2, it was 9 degrees here (MO). I drove to the dealer at the crack of dawn to be there when they opened at 7. I arrived in the area at 6:15. The car was nice and warmed up and quiet. But I wanted it noisy, so I went to a coffee shop a block away from the dealership and sat with the paper and a cup of coffee for 45 minutes while the car sat out in the frigid wind. When I left there, it rattled. When the automatic garage door opened at the dealer's reception area, I left my car outside and walked in. The service writer said, "Pull your car in." I said, "Not a chance. That car is staying out in the cold until someone drives it and hears it in freezing weather." They have had the car for 2 full cold days now. Yesterday the service writer told me they heard it and had isolated it, and could reproduce it. She said the tech had not told her what they had found. But if it's sitting in the shop, where it's toasty, I don't know how they will be able to see if their remedy is effective. The weather is over freezing now, and expected to be very mild for several days. I have no idea when I'l get my car back, but I have their loaner 350, and I don't have to replace the gas, so they can keep mine until they fix it. If this doesn't work, believe me I will relate your successful pillar experience. Actually I had printed out this entire previous conversation between you and me, and gave it to them along with a spreadsheet that documented the date, the temperature, and whether the noise was evident or not. I'm nothing if not organized. Will keep you posted.
    I actually live in New York (I referred to NE as the NorthEast). It hasn't been as cold as what you experienced recently and I'm sure if the dealer keeps your car for a week or so they should hear and locate the problem. Mine was at the dealership at least a week on a few occasions before they pinpointed the problem. I hope they act on the experience i had and check the roof pillar. Like you i enjoyed the loaner and was in no rush to get my car back some . Let me know.
    Ron
  • Car is still at dealer.....and it's 72 degrees. It might be a while before I know if whatever they are doing is effective.
  • Ron, can you please e-mail me direct at moeandmo@hotmail.com? My car spent a week at the dealer. They called me on a 50 degree day and said it was ABSOLUTELY fixed becuase they had not heard it for 3 days. Funny....those three days were the days that it warmed up. It's cold today. Husband and I just drove it. It rattles as badly as ever.
  • prazpraz Posts: 163
    I had rattles from dash (not in summer) and rear (not in winter). From last month, I had rattles from dash and rear as it was cold and warm in Phoenix. Last week, I got my car from the dealer and have not heard a rattle from the dash but hear rear rattle only later in the day when the temperature is warm. There is a TSB to fix both the issues, will take my car back if the rear rattle becomes unbearable.
  • home123home123 Posts: 7
    My car started to have another rattling noise in the dashboard/passenger side, and I finally pin pointed the source: the big black Sirius Radio Box attched to the front windshield! It's making a metal vibrating sound whenever I change lane on the freeway or when the road is slightly bumpy. You can reproduced the rattling by simply tapping on the box. I took the car to Longo Lexus and pointed it out to them, and they were skeptical at first, but as soon as I demonstrated it to them, they finally agreed to replace the whole sirius radio box for me. Ever since then, the metal vibrating sound is gone! Hope this helps some of you guys who have suffered from this irratating rattleing noise.
  • I've had my 2008 ES350 for six months. I notice a rattle in the console area somewhere between the shifter and the NAV system. It is a heavy metal clunking sound when the car encounters moderately rough roads. I have not taken it to the dealer yet as I am quite far from one. Has anyone experienced anything similar, and know what it might be?
  • Sounds like something loose in dash. Most noticeable when cold, but also occurs once in a while when car is warm. Have taken back to dealer five times. Is anyone aware of a service bulletin in regard to this problem or better yet has anyone found a solution? If a service bulletin is available, how can I get a copy of it?
2»
This discussion has been closed.