Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Vibe Electrical/Lighting Issues

Comments

• tieratiera Posts: 3
    iam having the problem with the vibes lights turning on all by themselves, do you have any word of advice for me because the dealer has no idea what Im talking about
  • tieratiera Posts: 3
    do you think you could tell me what switch it was that had to be replaced to fix your lights coming on because mine are doing the same thing.
  • did you get a reply on what switch had to be replaced to fix your lights coming on .........ours does the same thing. It if know please reply
  • I have the same problem about headlights coming on in the cold. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • larsilarsi Posts: 2
    Hi, I purchased a 2003 Vibe last week . . . I had the same headlight problem this past Friday evening. My poor husband saw lights on the shed and thought Aliens were landing ;). I Also found there was no power sunday morning, but by the afternoon (warmed up) the electrical system worked fine. My dealer did not seem to be aware of this problem. Did you ever receive any additional information regarding this issue?
  • mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    I am suprised your dealer wasn't aware of the problem. It was very common on early 03 Vibes. He most likely didn't look very hard for an answer. I think it was the Daytime Running Module (DRL Module) that fixes the problem. Out of warranty the dealer gets over $200 to replace this or if you are handy it can be had at gmpartsdirect for about $60. Somone once said a temporary way to prevent this from happening is to put the highbeams on and turn the auto headlight switch to off. I don't know if this works but it is worth a try.
  • larsilarsi Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I printed off some of the Vibe headlight complaints I found on the internet yesterday, and brought them to the dealer. By then they had the information regarding this issue from GM. They explained that the "multi-function stick" the stick with the headlight controls and turn signal was the culprit. In really cold weather a plastic part shrinks so bad that it trips contacts and turns your headlights on. They were kind enough to fix it without charging me :) .

I did find that during the bitter cold, turning the brights on caused the daytime running lights to turn off, and because the car was turned off, the brights did as they were supposed to and remained off . . . resulting in all lights being off ;).
  • mjb56mjb56 Posts: 170
    Our 05 Vibe (Base) has had the battery die on 3 different occasions in the last month. The dealer is saying that the radio tends to draw a lot of power and that playing it while the car is off can kill the battery. I find this hard to believe that 20 minutes of radio play will kill a battery. Has anyone else had this experience?
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    '03 Matrix with the original battery. Have waited for kids at various events many times with engine off and radio on with no ill effects. Have they changed your battery, or just charged up the same one 3 times now?
  • ronald711ronald711 Posts: 44
    It sounds like you have some dead cells, and your Battery is not holding a charge very well. If you goto Sears they can test your battery by putting loads on the battery and checking the voltage drop.
  • mjb56mjb56 Posts: 170
    They finally decided to replace our battery, though the analysis showed it was fine. No problems since then. We'll be closely monitoring but I suspect the old one had some bad cells. The dealership is saying that the modern alternators do not charge unless there is a draw detected and then you must drive quite some time to re-charge fully. I still think it was a bad battery. Otherwise the car is great. Good mpg, fun to drive, versatile. Hope this ends this episode.
  • Anyone ever replace the light bulb for the gear shift selector for a automatic vibe? Before I start trying to remove the plastic cover I'd to see if anyone has an easy way.
  • Thorsham,

I heard a crunching noise in the shifter about a year ago which lasted about a week or so. Then I noticed no light in the gear shift letters. Posted are request for help then. No one has come up with a simple repair.
  • any body know how to change the fusible link for the alternator on my '03 vibe?
  • We have a 2000 Pontiac Vibe. Recently, three of four electric door locks quit working. The only one that works is the driver's door. We tried replacing the battery in the keys, but it didn't help. From inside the car, when we push the button on the door to lock the doors, again, only the driver's door works.

Any ideas?
  • ghdrtghdrt Posts: 1
    I need to replace the tag or license light on vibe. I see an access panel on the hatch but I am not sure how to remove the panel without distroying it. Does anyone have any suggestions
  • n2hon2ho Posts: 5
    I saw the description with photos of how to replace license lights on http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=21999.
    Check it out.
  • LuzerLuzer Posts: 118
    Anyone try replacing this bulb yet?
    I have the 2003 Vibe with 74k miles....

Here's what I did.
    Looked at owners manual.

Take off the black cover - you press the smaller middle part on the fasteners and the outer part come out, I learned this on my old COrolla years back, and the Vibe manual do not tell you.

I remove the two screws.

NOW, I try to take off the light asembly as shown in the manual, and I can't pry this off!!

- I used a butter knive around some of the edges, but the plastic looks like it will crack.

- I pull on both sides with equal pressure - and still think I wil crack it.

I cannot see anymore clips etc.

Please help me replace the 3rd stop light bulb aka stop light buld aka high mount on the hatch stop light bulb.

Bulb info -
    Center High Mounted Stop Light Part number = 921
  • LuzerLuzer Posts: 118
    OK - So I'll reply to my own posted question....

After taking off the black overcover, I used a screwdriver and pried up the little red tabs and voila, the red cover came off, the bulb was replaced...last step - throw out the owners manual...
  • geneva26geneva26 Posts: 1
    Has anyone had to change a fuse for the instrument panel, specifically the CD/Radio? My friend plugged her car cell phone charger into the cigarette lighter on the dash and then the cd/radio went dead. The cd player will still eject cds though and the clock lights up when a button is pressed. In my user manual it says that the fuse box for the instrument panel is below the instrument panel, but neither I or my fiancé could find it. It seems like such an easy small thing to change that I don't really want to take it to the shop unless I have to.