Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I'm done with you and old CTS, you'll forever spin and spin things to the point of ridiculum. People have heaped criticism on the old car for years and yet when I said anything along those same lines I didn't know what I was talking about.

Just because you find a long list of American cars decent or appealing doesn't mean everyone does. You accuse me of pretending to speak for everyone yet you do the same thing. Its ridiculous. You go on and on with things that were never said, even longer lists of GM cars that everyone should like and so on. This and the uncontrollable urge to drag MB into everything GM, its really tired 1487. Nobody mentioned MB, thats your problem.

My point about the CTS was that this appears to be the most complete and competitive American sedan introduced in recent history.

And I'm telling you that such a distinction doesn't mean squat because "American sedans" aren't the benchmarks in their classes and in most cases they're bottom feeders so saying that the CTS is better than the American status quo is pointless. If American sedans set the tone for a segment or were even considered in the top part of the class this boast would mean something.

M
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Maybe some of y'all GM cheerleaders need to get out more and understand the competition better because boy, there are some false information floating around here:

1. Don't know about 330i and TL but IS350 is available with power telescoping/tilting steering wheel as an option.
    2. 335i is available in sedan form since late last year.
    3. 5-series is destined to get the twin-turbo I6.

I see someone was saying that IS350's style is too "over the top". WHAT? And this is coming from a CTS supporter? I have only 3 words to say: CTS front facial. Case dismissed. Oh, BTW, IS350's small size is exactly one of the reason I passed on the TL so not everyone in this segment is looking for a large car. Bigger isn't necessarily better.

Also, I see that someone was saying since the last gen CTS is good in handling so we can automatically assume the new one will be too. WRONG. I'll give 2 examples to back it up why:

1. Last gen Lexus IS vs. current IS
    2. Last gen Infiniti G35 vs. current G35

(In some respect, the last gen vs current gen 3-series could fall under this topic as well, just not as extreme as the previous 2)

In both cases the last generation cars handle better than their successor so there is no reason to assume one car's handling will be equal (or better) than its predecessor. However, we can use the last generation car as a "reference" to state something like: IF the new one handles like the old then blah blah blah...

BTW, for all y'all bashing on the IS350, FYI it just won a R&T comparo against G35 Sport and TL-S (both manuals). It also recieved top socres in both handling & steering department. I know this is off topic but I just couldn't help it. :P
  • topgun7topgun7 Posts: 409
    Anyone know when will the 08 CTS available? So far the car looks great. Interior is better looking than IS, G35, and TL. I test drove G35 and TL and really like the power and handling of both cars. I would certainly hope that CTS is as good driving as it look. Would love to use my GM card earning on the 08 (old GM card which I can use the earning for any brand new model without restriction).
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    Your wrong on two points. BTW, to use the term "class leading" insofar as it relates to whether a car can be had in a sedan form is inappropriate.
    (1)At any rate, the 335i sedan is alive and selling (well).
    (2)The Lexus and G might have more hp on paper. If your interested check dyno results on the above three. The 335i has well over 300 whp and leads over the G and IS.

5 series has nothing to with this is class but since you mentioned it- it is THE true luxury sport sedan in its respective segment. Check what type of power and torque the 550i gets- no where near 273hp.

On a different note- I like the pics of the upcoming CTS. It looks a lot better in and out compared to the previous generation. I would like to sit in one and drive it before passing judgment.
    "Its quite simple, the compeition is brand new. The G35, IS350 (yeah I know, but it is there) and the 335i have moved the bar. I'm waiting to see how the new CTS compares with them, thats all I'm saying here. I'm not looking for it to flop or fail, I'm honestly curious to see how it stacks up against the class leading trio."

Additionally- the new TL will also be available in 08 as an 09 model. That's some hefty competition IMHO for all vehicles involved.
  • thebugthebug Posts: 294
    Nice videos, thanks. Have you heard or seen anything on pricing? It seems as though the base has gone up about 2-3% with each model year.

thebug...
  • jpennjpenn Posts: 68
    When did the 2008 CTS Forum become a personal pissing contest. I'm interested in learning as many facts and, if possible, personal experiences from other people interested in the same. If you guys want to fight give each other your e mail addresses and leave the forum to the ones interested in the 2008 Cadillac CTS.
  • robbiegrobbieg Posts: 326
    I am not a Cadillac fan but from the pictures the new CTS looks like a pretty nice car and is clearly a significant improvement over original model. However, I agree that improvement must be measured in comparison with it's competitors. Back to the car, the interior, in particular, and at long last, looks to be pretty nice. I still do not understand why GM picked the design the old interior. Hopefully that designer has been fired. Anyway, what about pricing and standard features? I think whether a car is success or not will depend on the price. So GM has to think carefully about what to price it. Lastly, since we finally have some snow on the ground, what about awd pricing?
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,733
    That's the entire problem. Thinking about "price" means we get an interior that merely LOOKS the same - or we get a stripped-down car with 10K in options to make it loko like the one we all wanted.

Ie - bean-counters picking it to death a nickel here and a dime there.

Just build the best car you can and offer it with only a couple of options(simmilar strategy works well for Honda, btw).

As for the best American car ever built, that's easy. The Saleen S7. As for the best car *GM* has ever built, and one that mere mortals might be able to buy, this might be it. ;)

Also - a side note - on the Lucerne. Stop bashing it and go test drive one with the CXS package. It's not a BMW or Mercedes, but it's a darn fine car. Handles tight, gobs of low-end power, and it is befitting of the top-end Buicks(which were originally less fancy versions of the Cadillac).

A DTS for $10K less. All the meat and not much bling - exactly what GM and Buick buyers want. If you look at sales figures, the vast majority - nearly 75%, have been private sales.

As for the styling on the CTS, I like the first one better, but the rear end on it was hideous and impossible to see out of(parking when you have no clue where your rear bumper is is all too common these days). This one - I don't like the front as much, but I do like the angular effect. Say no to jellybean-mobiles! :P
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    The 335 sedan is indeed on sale and offers more torque than the CTS but the 335 is smaller than the CTS in every regard and costs more comparably equipped. The CTS is the same size as the 530 so its not out of line to compare the CTS to the 530i. The '08 530 (or whatever they call it) has just been announced with a 273hp DI 3L I-6 engine and this model would be directly comparable to the CTS with 300hp although the CTS will be much cheaper.
    your comments dont make a lot of sense. the last gen G35 and IS300 were very good handling vehicles. There was no quantum leap made in handling with the new cars, just jumps in power and interior refinement. The old IS interior was a joke, but the handling was on point. Same applies for the G35.

My point still stands, the current car is sporty, contrary to what certain MB fans would have you believe, and there is no reason to expect the new car not to be so. Other than the DTS Cadillac really doesn't make any "traditional" luxury cars that arent capable in the twisties. This is 2006, not 1996.

BTW, the IS350s styling is many things, but graceful isnt one of them. The rear end neesd a lot of work, they tried to copy the proportions of the 3 series but didn't get it quite right. The rear quarter of the GS is similarly ungainly. I dont find any awkward angles on the '08 CTS.

For those with no kids or no need to transport friends/coworkers the IS or 3 series is fine. However, there are plenty of people who like a decent backseat. This is one reason the TL and ES350 are so successful.
    I really like the interior design in the current CTS. That was one of the major selling points for me. The exterior caught my eye, and then I saw the inside (truly sharp and cockpit like)and it was on.

Ergonomically, it's dead on. I drive 100-150 miles per day (my car is my office)or about 3k/mo, and this design has proven to be the best of all my other vehicles as far as comfort and convenience. Most of the people that I encounter really like the design as well.

In fact, since my CTS hit the office parking lot, I would say that at least half of the physician's that I work with have traded their foreign models and moved over to Cadillac. I don't know if the CTS design had anything to do with it, but it makes you go HUM MM....

History has shown that when something this cutting edge/radical gets such bad reviews, it's a true sign that the idea is just ahead of its time.

thebug...
    Might as well consider the MB E350,M35, Lexus GS350 and Acura RL if you want to compare the CTS to the 5 series. CTS is still prolly going to be the cheapest amongst the group. IMHO, I don't see many buyers comparing the (future) CTS to any of the vehicles in this paragraph when they are comprising their short list- but then again- who knows.

Good point about the size of the 3er to the CTS. However, I was responding to chavis' comment about how the 3er is only better than the CTS in handling. :surprise:
    "This and the uncontrollable urge to drag MB into everything GM, its really tired 1487. Nobody mentioned MB, thats your problem."

That was the best part of your response. I just mentioned MB since you have held them up as the standard by which CAdillac and the rest of the luxury field should be judged. Hey, if you're not into MB anymore I apologize.

"People have heaped criticism on the old car for years and yet when I said anything along those same lines I didn't know what I was talking about. "

Exactly, I agree with that last part 100%. Other than the interior what major criticisms are you talking about? You continue to infer that the CTS was trashed by the press and I am in denial but you don't back that up. The media praised the CTS for its daring design, its autobahn honed handling and steering and the availability of a manual tranny. When it came out the 3.2L engine was criticized for being a little weak but that was addressed for 2004 MY with the 255hp engine. After that most complaints focused on the odd center stack design of which I have never been a fan. Please provide something other than your personal opinion if you are going to continue to say the CTS is such a bad car.

"And I'm telling you that such a distinction doesn't mean squat because "American sedans" aren't the benchmarks in their classes and in most cases they're bottom feeders "

Bottom feeders? LOL, I like that one. The Z06 is a bottom feeder? The Aura is a bottom feeder? The STS? wow.

The CTS is the best non V cadillac ever. How about that statement? Oh wait, can't say that until the magazines drive it because it may only look good "on paper" as GM pulls the wool over our eyes once again.
    chavis was correct about the 3 series. It has better handling and 30 more lb-ft of torque in its top 6 cylinder engine. However, the base CTS outguns the base 3 series.

The 3 series doesnt have more space, offer more value or have a superior interior design to the new CTS. If you want track ready handling and want a compact luxury car that costs well over $40k with options than the 3 series cant be beat. If you are more of a G35/TL kind of guy than the CTS is right in the mix.
    I agree that the current CTS interior is perfectly functional and is actually high quality. It was a little austere for my tastes but the nav screen improves things a bit, especially because its so large and replaces the large blank area in the middle of the stack.

The critics that slammed the CTS design when it came out where way off in their predictions. These are people who praised lame Lexus and tired MB designs and they thought Cadillac was being too risky by using the A&S theme. In other words they thought a "true" luxury car needed to look staid to be accepted. What they failed to realize is that Cadillac had done conservative and tried to have their products look like Americanized Lexuses and it didn't work. They had to be bold in order to draw attention to their new products. To funny part is that Lexus, Audi and BMW all revamped their stale styling (to varying degrees of success) after Cadillac launched A&S. I think Cadillac's design direction is the best out of the brands I mentioned. The Audi grille is growing on me, but I still do not like the Bangle 5 series and L-finesse has left me bored at Lexus. I have seen several LS460s and it is much more anonymous in person than it is on TV with the optional 19" rims. Its another conservative evolution of the same old LS design.
  • piasonpiason Posts: 55
    When is the 2008 CTS going to be available? It's been said from early summer to December?
    "However, the base CTS outguns the base 3 series."

The base 328i has 230hp and the base CTS has 210hp.

"The 3 series doesnt have more space, offer more value or have a superior interior design to the new CTS."

I think your spot on about space and value but the subjective opinions about exterior and interior design will never be agreed upon by everybody.
    Last Saturday, the local dealer told me that they would start taking orders early summer about June. In GM terms, that may be August or September. I want a November purchase date, so it works out for me.

He said an order will take about eight weeks, so I'm looking at September. Want everything except the sunroof and nav. I just hope they are not attached to items I really want/need.

thebug...
  • piasonpiason Posts: 55
    You are dead on with the pricing. The CTS interior/exterior design is excellent but if the price remains the same as the 2007 CTS, GM will have a winner. If the price goes up 1K most buyers will stay with the imports (Lexus IS250/IS350, G35, MB C class, BMW 3 series).