Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    One new item for 2009 that I have not seen posted here:

KB7
    NEW! Steering wheel mounted Paddle Shift Controls
    1 - Included and only available in (Y43) 18" (45.7 cm)
    Summer Tire Performance Package and (MX0) 6-speed
    automatic transmission.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    if you havent gotten a confirm yet....I doubt it will be built...again...its not GM..but rather the allocations your dealer gets..and they knew 5 weeks ago whether they had any allocation remaining.........and remember..each dealer is an independent franchise........
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    It won't be built. The dealer returned my deposit.
  • rcantwellrcantwell Posts: 77
    The car has been doing greatsince the hassle of the engine swap at 1800 miles. That whole ordeal could have been so much better if Cadillac actually had any customer service. Their idea of customer service is we are right you are wrong and you can't do anything about it. If it weren't for my dealership's service manager I would have been royally screwed on the whole deal. I had never bought a car at this local dealership because of their bad reputation in the sales department. I made the best deal I could elsewhere and took it to them and said beat it or I am buying it there. They beat it by $500 and I am SO glad they did. If I had bought it elsewhere I can only imagine the horrors I would have gone through.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,237
    How many miles on the new motor?

Have you been back to the dealer for scheduled maintenance? If so, did you ask for "your" mechanic?
  • chrism124chrism124 Posts: 133
    MY08 CTS Owners,

What do you like about the CTS and don't like about it? I have test driven a non-DI version with AWD and the standard (FE1) suspension. If I order one, it will be a MY09 with the DI engine, AWD and FE2 suspension. I am wondering how the reliability and quality with be over time. I know that it difficult to project 2-5 years from now but perhaps the there is usually some indication based on the 1st year of ownership. Also, do you find the CTS, with the DI engine, to have enough power?

Regards,
    NHman
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    My wife has a 07 STS with the same engine you drove. IT also is AWD and I find it has plenty of power and see no need for the DI engine. If I had that engine I would be lead footing it all the time until I got in trouble (tickets) and then would revert back to babying it in order to stay on the right side of the law and also to fix the bad gas mileage I got from lead footing it. So once I get over the hotrodding on the more powerful engine than by taking it easy there is no more reason for having the bigger engine since I no longer take advantage of it. As far as being reliabile you need to remember the engine in one form or another has been around many years and the trans have been around now for a few years and yes mistakes are made and something happens but for the most part the CTS drive train is good.
  • briantucsonbriantucson Posts: 23
    I own an '08 CTS with RWD, FE2 suspension, and the DI engine. So far I've only driven 4000 miles since I picked it up in December.

Honestly, the base engine has enough scoot.

The only issue the cars's had so far was a wiring ground problem. What was good about the problem was that Caddy had a service advisory out for this issue. That means that they were monitoring their production and made a change to their process.

The car is a hoot to drive, and I'm in love with the interior. I've no rattles or squeaks, and FE2 suspension really holds the road nicely. I only wish it cleaned itself. I didn't care for the sunshade cover so I didn't order it. The nav screen looks great, but I have doubts about it's usefullness (and it's a little bit redundant with Onstar turn-by-turn directions) so I didn't order it either.

For long term reliability, Caddy makes a good product. Checkout any of the various 'consumer' reports and you'll see that it's so. I'm confident enough with this car that I'm not looking in the 2~5 year period. I'm looking at the 10-12 year period, and the vehicle is inspiring me to think it'll be there.

Having said that I do have to admit that I expect some of the fancy electronics (hard drive, for example) will likely have to be replaced in that 10 year period.

-Brian
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    It seems the V has been pushed back, too.

"Effective 4/21/2008, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

* All sections-Ordering for CTS-V model 6DN69 has been delayed until September, 2008. Temporarily deleted all reference to CTS-V from the Order Guide."
  • jpennjpenn Posts: 68
    Re: #2293 by Karen S.

Not sure I understand the post. Caddy has cancelled the convertible but as far as I am aware the coupe is still on schedule for Spring 09. Have you seen something to the contrary?
  • srynsryn Posts: 27
    For any who have the AWD version of the CTS, does that feature in any way limit/reduce/encroach on any legroom inside the CTS cabin as compared to the non-AWD version?

Thanks.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    I just replaced my '03 CTS with a new '08 CTS. I was planning to order an '09 for delivery later in the summer, but I walked into my favorite dealership and my saleslady said she had just received a new car in trade from another dealer and it outfitted exactly as I had discussed with her for the future order, and it would qualify for the $1,000 loyalty rebate, so how could I refuse. It's a great car, but I have run into two problems.

When I tried to program the garage door opener I could not get it to work, and then I discovered the process had apparently disable my other clickers, including my wife's. Now I will have to wait until monday to see about correcting the problem. Luckily my outside key and inside button still operate the door.

The other problem is that my memory seat, which moves back to the exit position when I open the car door, also moves forward to the driving position as soon as I open the door from the outside and before I have a chance to sit down, making it very hard to get into the seat. On the '03 it waited until I put the key in the ignition.

Did anyone else have either of these problems? and how did you solve them?
    The description in the original report was CTS coupe convertible. Not Coupe/convertible. Only the convertible version of the coupe was dropped, not the hard top coupe. The coupe is still in line for production.

I hope this clears it up.
  • srynsryn Posts: 27
    When is the Coupe expected to be available?
  • jpennjpenn Posts: 68
    All reports I have seen indicate Spring of 2009, some have said May 2009. It can't be soon enough for me.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    It seems to me that if you like to "lead foot" your car, you will do it with any engine. But the point of my post is to point out that performance wise, Car&Driver did not find much difference between the base engine and the DI engine. The DI engine has a bit more torque, mainly in the 4000 to 6000 RPM range. Either engine has good performance which would lead one to "lead foot" it if one is so inclined. The DI engine does make the northstar V8 less needfull, but the CTS does not offer the V8 in any case.
  • The AWD and the non-awd have the exact same interior dimensions. I will say though that unless your in extreme weather conditions the non-awd is more than you need, just get the performance package with the limited slip differential.
  • dennisa50dennisa50 Posts: 1
    I also had the problem programming the universal home link buttons to open my garage door. I haven’t resolved that issue yet, but the Memory seat problem you are having can be corrected by changing a setting in the Driver Information Center (the buttons on the dash to the left of the steering wheel). Take a look at your owner’s manual under DIC Customization. There are a lot of settings you can change to meet your specific needs and preferences.
    I resolved both problems on Sunday.

I got out the instructions for the garage door opener and found out that by holding the learn button on the opener for more than a couple of seconds I wiped out the programming for the clickers, so I had to re-program them. Then I programmed the car's button from one of the clickers as per the instructions in the car owner's manual instead of from the separate instruction sheet given to me by the sales person.

I changed the DIC setting for the seat to not respond to the door opening, so now I can get into the seat and then push the button on the door to move the seat into the driving position.

Now I would like to know if anyone knows how I can remove those ugly instruction strips that are affixed to the sun shades. On the '03 it just peeled off, but it seems to be attached much more securely on this car.