Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    The CTS had to be good because the upcoming G8 is likely to be considerably cheaper and yet offer similar performance and size. Of course GM is famous for product overlap so this is nothing new but it will be interesting to see what the press has to say about the CTS when compared to the cheaper G8. Yes I know the G8 will have less features, but the press tends to overlook features and focus on price and performance.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Totally agree with you here, 1487...

One very important thing Pontiac has to do in order to distinguish G8 from CTS is not to put too much "luxury" touches into that car. High tech gadgets yes but no woodtrims, suede or any kind of those craps. If the MSRP for the CTS is around $35K then the G8 has to start at $25K and top out at $32 the most.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    I looked at Holden's website and the Commodore has a lot of available features, including bluetooth and DVD navigation. OBviously you arent going to see any woodgrain on the G8, but I suspect it will be well equipped. The CTS will have a better sound system, more upscale interior, power til/telescope wheel, panoramic roof, keyless entry/starting and HIDs. Other than that the G8 may give the CTS a run for its money IF they bring over most of the COmmodores features.
  • thebugthebug Posts: 294
    Rocky: Not wealthy, but fortunate. Not lucky, but addicted. I derive pleasure from car shopping/buying. I took a position that required that you have "A" reliable vehicle.

Turns out that the nature of the business requires that you would have to drive about 3K/mo (mostly city), and having just one car could get you in a bind because people are depending on you being there on time.

I am fortunate in that the position pays very well, I have no bills, and I like cars anyway. So I decided that a few reliable cars (which I rotate) would work better, it provides a comfort zone.

The only drawback is that you eventually run out of parking spaces, thus you have to start trading if you see something else that you really want. This is the case with the new CTS. I want to keep the 03 but, I have no (inside) place to park it.

One would think that insurance for seven cars is expensive, but it's really not. I pay less (full coverage) for seven cars than some of my friends pay for one.

The other plus is that my insurance provides a free extended warranty at 7yr/100K on any new car purchase. That's an expense that is averted during any purchase.

Can't wait until I get the 08 CTS. I think about this car all day sometimes.

thebug...
    Rocky: Through the years, I have learned that sunroofs have made the difference (in some strange cases) between surviving an accident vs not. In a convertible, one would expect to get creamed in a rollover, besides I needed one to complete the ensemble.

I now have one of everything, a SUV, lux sedan, 2 wagons, pick up, regular sedan, and a convertible which also covers the coupe department. You have to do it that way when parking is at a premium.

Nav systems aren't useful in a town that's growing rapidly. It doesn't ID construction zones (which is a major, major problem in Las Vegas), and it gives false information when it come to gated communities.

If you are familiar with gated communities (usually only two ways in or out), they tend to have streets that end at brick walls, and the nav system (city maps included) doesn't realize that, so it will in many cases, lead you to a dead end. Las Vegas has tons of gated communities. I can't afford to get lost,or trapped in a maze, drive time is crucial

Second, Las Vegas is bright and sunny 90% of the time, and in bright sunlight (as with my cell phone), I can't see the screen anyway. So for me it's a useless toy. That being said, I do like the pop up in the 08 CTS, and I may, just may get one because it looks pretty good.

I think that in cities that are fully developed, a nav system may be beneficial, but not in a city that's growing so rapidly.

I have driven so much in this city, that, during a given work day, many call me instead of using mapquest. I don't even use a map when I travel across country. I have crossed the country (while on active duty 20 yrs) so many, times that I have pretty much memorized it, and have set foot in every state in the US. Additionally, (not a good thing) I have donated to the policeman's ball in at least 28 states over the years.

thebug...
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    Actually, it's my *dad* who likes the new GM warranty. All things being the same, it's a valid reason to get a new car compared to something used(with only 2/20-something left on it)

But really - it's not a big deal. Just more icing on the cake to entice a few more buyers.

Re: the CTS-V - there's no reason to have 600HP. My cousin has a 600HP Mustang that he's um.. yeah.. slightly cusomized. And then tossed a blower the size of a mini-fridge on. ;) It's completely undriveable in city traffic since it has an on/off throttle and will go 0-60 in such a short time your eyes have a hard time focusing.

No, 300HP and a 6-speed gearbox is goign to be more than enough ;)
    readerreader: These are the type pics that are making me consider getting a nav system (it just adds to the beauty) although I don't really want or need one.

thebug...
    Do you have to be a GM employee to get the GM credit card discount?

thebug...
  • puckspucks Posts: 47
    Hey thanks for the correction. Gotta admit, I have no clue why they would show the car with 19's when that's not even an option.

I read the 18's had 9 spokes and the 17's had 7 spokes and just figured it had to be the 18's.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,618
    if you have a 'gm' credit card, you accumulate dollars that can be used toward a purchase of a gm vehicle. this cts is the first gm vehicle i have seen that makes me wish i took them up on their offers a few years ago.
    Thank you for the information. I was offered a GM credit card as well, but I didn't realize it could be used as a discount source, so I turned it down thinking that I have too many card already. I'm going to apply for one now.

thebug...
    ok, i fell for that one.
    explorerx4: OK I fell for that one. You have to explain that one
    the cadi still looks promising. i'd like one on the dealer lot.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Rocky, I've seen you in action around August just before Acura is about to introduce the 08' TL-S at AcuraZine.

Are you sure we are talking about the same Rocky ????

So don't tell me you have never done that. It is kind of funny to see how you praise the SH-AWD back then and now bashing it just because Cadillac produced a "winner".

I'm not bashing the Acura SH-AWD system but others have made good points.... it is after all a FWD-based system isn't it ????

I do admit I like acura's products but they really did dissapoint with the current Type-S. It's a cosmetic joke !

If Acura, really does make a TL with SH-AWD and 300+ horsepower they might have a winner. I for a couple of years was jealous of the customer service people were getting. I however over the last 6-months have noticed I'm not alone in getting the shaft from honda. A guy on these forums bought what he thought was a brand new Odyssey and on closer inspection he got a repainted one and the dealer isn't fixing his problem and customer service tells him to take it up with the dealer. A guy just tonight is talking about being on his 4th transmission and the dealer told him he had a 6 yr. 100k extended warranty in his contract. He said he didn't read it because he was busy and had to leave. I can't believe how some people can look you into your eyes and lie like that. That is what happened to me and supposably that isn't what's suppose to happen when doing business with a company that preaches customer service while stabbing you in the back as you go out the door. I fell for the customer service scam... customer service honestly was the main reason why I wanted to do business with Acura/Honda. It's all B.S. lie !!!! :mad:

I like some of Acura's products but hearing these story's and many others I've read throughout my time hear on edmunds just confirms I should just find me a trustworthy GM dealership and do business with them. I do have one back home in Michigan, and I'm beginning to hear positive things about some of the new owners of some of these dealerships which is a good sign. ;)

Rocky

P.S. The TL, has a nice interior but seriously the materials aren't ground breaking and as a owner I had the "visor rattle" problem like so many others at about 1500 miles. I didn't dare get the tan leather interior because it came with Kia grade faux wood but the carbon fiber looked much better so I went with ebony. I also didn't like the plastic metal in the IS 350 and if I would of bought one those it would of been a non sport suspension model so I could of gotten the wood. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about any of those cars anymore since GM, is offering me several models I really like now. the 08' Malibu is light years ahead of the TL in interior quality and fit and finish. ;)

Rocky
    Disagree........I think the G8 can easily get away with $37K for a loaded gadget filled G8. The base CTS needs to be $35K and top out at $45K.

CTS-V with 600 hp. needs to be $55K loaded.

Rocky
    The G8 needs the bose 5.1 or a mega-watt alternative, ventilated seats, navigation, voice recognition, HIDs, bluetooth, sunroof, DVD Navigation, if it wants to be a benchmark performance sports sedan IMHO.

Rocky
    The other plus is that my insurance provides a free extended warranty at 7yr/100K on any new car purchase. That's an expense that is averted during any purchase.

WOW !!!!! I'd love to have your insurance company !!!!

Can't wait until I get the 08 CTS. I think about this car all day sometimes.

LOL, I happen to a lot now also. :blush:

Rocky
    Nav systems aren't useful in a town that's growing rapidly.

Thats why you get a new disc yearly. ;)

It doesn't ID construction zones (which is a major, major problem in Las Vegas)

That's what XM-Navitraffic is for because it gives you live updates and gives you alternative routes on your navigation. ;)

Get one (Navi) on the 08' CTS along with the "roof" ;)

Rocky
    No, 300HP and a 6-speed gearbox is goign to be more than enough

plekto, that is true for most.....The "V" I guess for me is a private part extension for me. I've always wanted a car that was so fast it scared me and the only car that ever did that was a new 2000' Camaro SS that was modified and it had 385 hp. ;)

Rocky
    Yes you do....quit saying that. :P

Rocky

P.S. It also adds to resale since most customers like the navi option anyways.
    Nope !!!

I as a elgible GMS participant can't combine my GMS and earned credit card dollars to a new GM product. It sucks because I would do just that. :cry:

Rocky
    19's might be a GM Factory/Dealer aftermarket option. We all could send in requests/demands for them to be a option. I will have to contact Cadillac, and let them know we want 19's ;)

Rocky
    explorer,

You like ? :surprise: Wow, miracles do happen. :P

Rocky
    thebug.

Dude you are killing me........I however do think it's a good idea just in case you want a new CTS-V and you can turn your 08' CTS into your winter beater. :P

Rocky
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Exactly, I agree with that last part 100%. Other than the interior what major criticisms are you talking about? You continue to infer that the CTS was trashed by the press and I am in denial but you don't back that up. The media praised the CTS for its daring design, its autobahn honed handling and steering and the availability of a manual tranny. When it came out the 3.2L engine was criticized for being a little weak but that was addressed for 2004 MY with the 255hp engine. After that most complaints focused on the odd center stack design of which I have never been a fan. Please provide something other than your personal opinion if you are going to continue to say the CTS is such a bad car.

The car was trashed by the press. Car and Driver said that it matched the dynamics of a early 90's 7-Series not the 3-Series of the time. The complaints about the interior were from everyone, not to mention the 4 main U.S. mags. The complaints focused on cheap materials, poor fit and finish. I already gave the proof of this in the other thread a while back and yet you continued to deny it. That is classic denial.

Bottom feeders? LOL, I like that one. The Z06 is a bottom feeder? The Aura is a bottom feeder? The STS? wow.

Apparently you don't know what an "American Sedan" is. The Z06 is not a sedan. I said that in the past American sedans were bottom feeders and you bring up the brand new Aura. The STS isn't a class leader is it? It isn't even close so my comment still stands.

The CTS is the best non V cadillac ever. How about that statement? Oh wait, can't say that until the magazines drive it because it may only look good "on paper" as GM pulls the wool over our eyes once again.

Makes no sense, whatever it is you're trying to say here.

M
    Who determines what makes a benchmark?

In part the auto writers and the market. Now when they praise a GM car they're right on the money, but when they trash one they're clueless right?

I would drive the old FWD Seville, new STS or current DTS any day of the week over any non AMG/M E class or 5 series (old or new). Are those Cadillacs considered benchmarks by anyone?

Exactly, what you'd drive doesn't mean it is a benchmark, especially those old FWD heaps. Cadillac wasted so much time trying to make FWD work in RWD market its hilarious.

Probably not but they are EXCELLENT vehicles and in 80% of driving situations that we might encounter, you'll never miss the razor sharp handling of a sport package equipped BMW.

True, because the average consumer doesn't care, heck some don't know which set of wheels propel their car. Problem is that Cadillac wasn't competitive with those FWD cars. They were lame and sticking out in a RWD class.

I was once told by Mr. Merc that the old Caddy's couldn't compete (because FWD) and need electronic "crutches" just to drive down the road. I guess that's why everyone uses an alphabet soup of electronic damping nowadays, right?

Yep they did and ultimately they caved in an went RWD like everyone else. All the CVRSS nonsense was the most ridiculous spectacle possible. Everyone does it now to keep up with the Joneses.

This new CTS will hopefully have all the good that the Europeans offer yet still be American and not some "Me too" car like some of the competition.

That would be nice, too bad the cars that it is trying to compete with are of the Euro-thinking slant, not that 1-5 "Benchmark" nonsense. I especially love the one about the identity crisis. I guess the V series Cadillacs suffer from this too right? Cadillac is steadily chasing the Euros because that is whats in, not a DTS or ES350 type car. Deal with it. I'll give you that they're doing it with their own style and not being a styling copycat like some Japanese brand. BTW, I like the new CTS a lot, just having got back from Detroit. Its a gorgeous car inside and out.

M
    P.S. Admit that GM was building and designing junk until a couple of years ago.

He'll never, ever admit that. The outgoing CTS had a wonderful interior of quality materials, so did the pre-07 SRX.

M
    Here we go again... Boy, do people have short memories. Does anyone remember the original G35 interior, first gen IS300's interior, or any generation C-class interior? Let's not pretend that the competition has been all it was cracked up to be in the press. While I didn't like the design on the old CTS interior the quality in my opinion was equal if not better than the G35's interior.

I'm going to try to make a point here Chavis. Those interiors which did suck (no argument from me there), but they were not the norm from those brands, especially Mercedes and Lexus. That is the difference and it why people rag on GM interiors, cheap interiors are what they've done for years and years, 10 out of 10 times so yes people do forget that certain MB, Lexus and other imports have turned up stinky interiors from time to time. Don't you see that when Cadillac does cars like the new CTS on a consistent basis the criticism will go away? If GM could quit introducing half-baked cars like the Kappa twins no would could say anything.

M