Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    2.5% price increase from 08 to 09 and no incentives (yet) for the 09. If you can find an 08 you like, be as coy as you can be with the dealer, but buy it.

As far as the engine is concerned, you will need timing lights or a stopwatch to tell the difference in performance. Fuel economy--is $1000 price differential worth a 3% (less than 1 mpg) differential?
    This topic is slowly morphing into a discussion (comparison) of both model years. Any way to change the topic title to 2008/2009 Cadillac CTS?
    I just drove identically equipped CTS, except for the engine. (automatic, pdw, pdr) The one with DI might have been quicker side by side, but I could not tell the difference on my drives, which were about ten miles each.

For 3 to 4 snows a year, I think traction control is sufficient. In my younger years I lived in PA and owned several Chrysler 300 letter series (300 to 400 hp) with traction control. I never had a problem in the snow.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    From what I have read the DI engine is noisy, mainly at high power. At cruise the engine is quiet. This may be worth checking on test drives.
  • cafpafcafpaf Posts: 65
    Here are a few comments from Car & Driver in an article dated April 2008 written by John Philips comparing the base V-6 and the DI engine.

"Around town, the base V-6 emits a charming growl right to is 7000-rpm redline. At full whack, it is 2dBA noisier than the DI. On the other hand, it's quieter at idle and at a 70mph cruise. Both engines offer smooth throttle tip-in and excellent idle quality." Speaking of both engines he goes on to say, "...in terms of engineering, value, and dynamic charm---(they) likely represent the finest effort in Cadillac's 106 year history." I hope that helps. Also for what it is worth, my new CST with the standard V-6 is a quiet as a tomb.
  • james104james104 Posts: 21
    I ordered a DI without these two options, but my dealer can get one quicker with these 2 additional options. I posted prior that I did not like the "cheesecloth" sunroof cover. Thinking some more about it, I might be able to live with it.

Survey: I usually keep a car for about 7 years. Do you think resale would be any better (or worse) with or without these 2 additional options?

Thanks for your opinions.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Went to NADA bluebook and a 2002 STS (no CTS back then) they allowed $500 each for the nav. and roof. If I was to guess I figured they wouldn't be worth any extra but was really wrong. Sounds like a good investment to me a useful. I have both in the wifes STS and I'm surprised just how much we use them The Nav I find I just love when on a trip somewhere else. We just drive around looking at the sights not worrying where we are or which way we went. When we decide on its time to go back to the motel or to eat we punch in what kind of food we want, it takes us there and after eating tell us to take us back to the motel without an arguement on we're lost and that man thiing about having to ask for directions. :shades:
    Thanks for the reply and doing the homework dmathews3, I did not think of doing that. Saving family arguments is worth it alone!
    With the Nav unit to get full use there is a slight learning curve sometimes but it is easy to use. I have found for example I had to go down by Detroit for a DR. to look at my hearing and he was on West Twelve Mile Road in Southfield. It took a while to find it on the Nav. as the Dr. letter had Twelve Mile different ways in 2 parts of the letter. 12 Mile and as Twelve Mile. Then there was W for West and of course West. When it was over and done West Twelve Mile was W `12 Mile. But we find the hardest thing is believing it sometimes after using it around home. It will get you where you want to go, but not always the way you are used to going. I know the shortcuts but it don't. You must learn to trust it.
    Yes, I understand about different street spellings as I use google maps on my phone to do the same thing. Some additional questions if you would be so kind to answer:

1. Can a route be programmed into the unit while driving, or does the vehicle have to be in park, or stopped?
    2. Does the screen always rise out of the dash when starting the car, or can it be programmed to stay down until called for?
    3. How is the database for the POI and streets updated? Can you download from Cadillac and enter via a USB, or do you have to buy new DVD's, or via OnStar, or?

Thanks! :confuse:
    1. No, GM has it setup so only limited functions work while the car is moving faster than about 2mph to stop you from playing with it while driving and having your eyes off the road. Don't know about the CTS but someone has made a plug in device that will over ride the safety GM has built into the STS.
    2. Don't know I have a STS
    3. You must buy the DVD's but GM gives you the first 3 years worth for free. I find that things don't really change that much except for new sub divisions and maybe new malls. A road always stays the same and the same McDonalds doesn't move either :-)
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    The screen only rises if it was up when the ignition was last turned off.

I was told a navigation upgrade could be downloaded from OnStar, but I believe that was ended when GM discontinued the three year free navigation upgrade earlier this year.
    Bought it last week. 2009, 1SA, radiant silver/ebony leather, automatic, PDW, PDR.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    Ordered it? or took deliver?

If ordered, when do you expect delivery?

In any case, congratulations and use it well. :)
    Programmed it and drove it home.
  • badhugobadhugo Posts: 10
    That's exactly what I'm thinking of. None of my business question. How much did you pay for it?
    Thanks.
    DAM, that's just a few hundred over invoice if you believe Edmunds.
    That is why I snapped it up. I could not foresee a better deal, unless Cadillac starts throwing rebates/incentives around. If they do--my loss. However, I still got exactly what I was looking for.
    Good stuff! Maybe I'll start looking around a bit.