Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• james104james104 Posts: 21
    Did anybody get the optional compact spare tire? Does it just have a steel rim? Mine is on order and the dealer says he is having trouble getting one...

BTW thanks for your responses to my previous questions bingoman and jgaffney1.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    The compact spare is a black painted, cast alloy, five spoke wheel. It can be used for up to three thousand miles at up to 65 mph.

I drove on it for about two hundred miles after a mishap coming home from Vegas, and I had no problems with handling, although I drove at only 55 mph because of a misunderstanding. I had the flashers on on the freeway and no one gave me any trouble. The left rear tire was destroyed by a large piece of road debris and I would have been up the proverbial creek if I had had the inflator kit.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Posts: 486
    The previous generation CTS had this black wheel too. I had to use it once with my '03 CTS after a flat. I was surprised that someone actually bothered to style a wheel that most likely wouldn't get seen. Considering that most compact spares are about as a attractive as a utility truck, this one is actually nice to look at.
  • I have 2008 CTS DI AWD and I was told the olny thing I have is an air punp and a can of fix a flat in my trunk. The spares were eliminated.....
    I have never checked under the trunk cover....guess I should! :)
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Posts: 486
    This was a great post...thanks for your comments. As many of the regulars around here know, I've been wanting to get back to a CTS for some time since I sold my '03 to get into a '05 SRX (kids happen). But our family just hasn't been able to make the financial argument work yet.

That being said, my wife and I rented a CTS from Avis last weekend while in the Boston area visiting family. Since many of her family members were spread out over south east Massachusetts, this gave my wife and I a lot more time with the car...about 300 driving miles versus the last two times I've rented the CTS (also in Boston but only for short two day business trips). This was also the first time my wife had gotten a chance to drive the vehicle. She really really liked it...enough to offer to trade our SRX for it.

Needless to say after three years of driving the SRX kidmobile (which we like), getting back behind the wheel of a true sports sedan is extremely inviting. Our SRX is based on the old CTS, which is good and bad. Good since it's a rear drive sporty vehicle at heart. Bad since it relies on the original CTS dashboard design, which has the distinction of being expensive and looking cheap all at once. The SRX has lots of room behind the second seat and hauls lots of gear (kids bikes, Costco, Home Depot). But it's rides high like other SUVs and just doesn't have the complete sporting spirit of the '03 CTS LuxSport it replaced.

We'll keep the SRX into '09 but now Cadillac will have two vehicles we could replace it with. The first is the '10 SRX due next summer to replace our car. The new SRX will copy the CTS interior again, but this time that's not a bad thing. It'll be smaller than our SRX so I doubt it'll haul as much stuff, but I'm hoping the interior packaging is better than our car. The new pictures that got released today are promising. But this car is a FWD/AWD car and will likely never have the sporting spirit of the outgoing model.

The CTS Sport Wagon on the other hand is something that I might be able to get behind. We could get our CTS and still be able to haul things. Gas mileage would likely be about the same as the sedan. It probably would weigh in the same class as the sedan. And all practical options for the wagon have been announced as being identical for the sedan...right down to mating a 304 HP DI engine with a 6-speed manual transmission if you choose (only available elsewhere at BMW and VW I think). AWD is available and 19" wheels are standard on this car. (!!!)

There have been some occasions where the best in class hauling capabilities of the current SRX comes in real handy, and either way we'd have to give it up for either vehicle. The '10 SRX is an easy fit but may not make us any happier (unless there's a hybrid coming...my wife wants that). The CTS Sport Wagon I think is the vehicle we might end up with since we sacrifice almost nothing from the base car outside of its profile and get a new profile that will be unique, especially since the Dodge Magnum is now dead.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    The spare tire is an option and can be ordered
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    ". . .which has the distinction of being expensive and looking cheap all at once."

Well, that phrase alone is why we (or at least I) enjoy having you pipe in from time to time.

Interesting comments -- having some hauling capacity has always been an objective of mine, and it eliminates all cars without fold-down rear seats. The European Avant/Sportwagon, which comprise ~50% of what's on the road over there hasn't caught on over here, but with the recent fuel price panic, it might.

As always, continue to keep us posted on your journey.
  • knotemknotem Posts: 62
    "The upcoming discounts cover "nearly all" 2008 model-year cars and truck as well as some 2009 models. The promotion excludes 2008 medium-duty trucks but includes the 2009 Chevy Cobalt and HHR, the Pontiac Vibe and G5 and the Cadillac CTS."

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/correct-gm-brings-back-employee-pricing/st- ory.aspx?guid=%7B12636C54%2D6191%2D408B%2DACD7%2D4A0D0DA6BFC2%7D&dist=hplatest
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    "The upcoming discounts cover "nearly all" 2008 model-year cars and truck as well as some 2009 models. The promotion excludes 2008 medium-duty trucks but includes the 2009 Chevy Cobalt and HHR, the Pontiac Vibe and G5 and the Cadillac CTS."

The fact that the 2009 CTS is included, I find VERY interesting.....
    - Ray
    Not surprised that most every 'left-over' 2008 is included.....
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    You are very welcome everyone. This is probably a direct result of my already having purchased my 2009 CTS. It is certainly surprising, because 2009 CTS sales have been very good.
  • knotemknotem Posts: 62
    I need and advice, please!

I knew that I can nock down $3k to $4k from the MSRP price, or pay from $0 to $500 above invoice and get the 2008 CTS, but I don’t know how to deal on the Employee Purchase plan.

A dealer has RWD CTS with all options on his website:
    MSRP $48,420. After Employee Purchase Plan $42,812 - $2,000 Manufacturing rebate for 2008 model = $40,812. It’ll cost me $37,312 + tax and license when I take off the $3,500 GM MasterCard credit discount.

All dealers in California have similar price deal on their websites

I believe it’s a great price. My question is can I still make a deal with the dealer below the GM Employee Purchase Plan?

Does anyone on this board bought any GM car in the past with an Employee Purchase Plan below the Plan price.

Thanks
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    You can't.

Read all the fine print on your GM Mastercard. I do not believe your credits can be used with the Employee Purchase Plan.

I also believe the Employee Purchase Plan is in lieu of all rebates.

In other words--the Employee Purchase Plan IS the rock bottom price.

If anyone knows differently, please cite your sources when you reply.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Thats not true. Can't get through to the Caddy site but at the Chevy site for example the Trailblazer is $28490, employee price is $26005 minus $6000 total cash back for a price of $20005 plus options. Also I am a GM retired and I always use my GM Mastercard monies on a new GM purchase. Look here: http://www.cadillac.com/currentoffers/?zip=48911 So I would recheck your facts before posting.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    "Does anyone on this board bought any GM car in the past with an Employee Purchase Plan below the Plan price. "

I bought a GM vehicle in 2005, the last time they offered a
    "Employee Price To All" program".

The dealer a ( $49 over invoice ) fixed price dealer in NC took
    an additional $300 off the employee price - that was approx $23K,
    as I recall.

Good luck!
    - Ray
    Drove a 2009 CTS this week, loaded, still not sufficiently impressed,
    even at Employee Price - of over $6K off.....
  • As someone who is a current GM 'family' employee, I qualify for the GM employee pricing, and purchased my 2008 CTS in this fashion.

I don't believe it's possible to negotiate a price lower than this. It is possible to use rebate dollars from your GM Card to get additional $$ off, but....this is not the result of any negotiations you can do.

GM also offers low financing rates, and those can be combined with the lower purchase price to reduce your monthly payments (for those of us who purchase).
  • is there any aftermarket headrests for the new CTS with adjustment other than up down? :D
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    If you are a GM employee or family member who is entitled to the GMS price it is best to buy in the first part of the model run giving a month or two for the rebates to come into being. Why because the car costs the same in sept. as it does the following Aug. It's possible a bigger rebate may come along at the end of the run but in most cases it won't match what you have been paying for those 10 or 11 months plus you are driving a brand new current model car, not a year old one. As in any case there can be exceptions to the rule.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    I don't know of anyone making a replacement headrest, but my solution is a small pillow or bolster that hangs from the headrest posts and sits behind my shoulders. This moves my head forward about two inches away from the headrest. I am much more comfortable this way.
  • sandy25sandy25 Posts: 65
    In addition to the employee discount on both the 2008 and 2009, Cadillac is offering a $2000 rebate on the 2008. Since this is the end of the model year does it make more sense to spend the extra $2k and get the 2009 when you cosnider the eventual trade-in value?
  • traderjtraderj Posts: 39
    I am also currently shopping the CTS and I asked the manger at the Cadillac dealership that exact question. He told me that you also have to take into account that there has been a price increase for the "09 of approx $1100-, so in effect, you are actually paying $3,000- less for the '08. If you trade it in 3-4 years what will the difference in value be? I don't know. Is $3000- reasonable? Maybe!
    Does anyone else have an opinion on this?