Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• 1. Which audio do you have, and do you have navigation?

2. The door is a large mass and has a tendency to rebound. If you hold it for a moment at full open you will absorb or neutralize the rebound and it should stay open.
  • Have had my 08 for almost a yearnow, andI don't have the wind noise you speak of. In fact the car is very quiet.
  • All of the ones I tested were at the very end of model year '08 run or very beginning of '09. I don't know how long the sales manager had his. So maybe this is a recent problem. Now, you can easily drown out the wind noise with the radio, but I always test drive the cars with the radio off or low in order to check for wind noise. Even a low level wind noise would bother me over a long drive. I remember I had a '91 Acura Legend, which at the time was the most expensive car I had ever owned. It had wind noise. I kept bringing it back to the dealer, and they kept returning it in worse condition. It bothered the hell out of me. Fortunately for me, the car was destroyed by Hurricane Andrew so I was able to get out of my lease.
  • I have the audio with the hard drive and the navigation.
  • Just bought this new 08 CTS V6 Std Suspension and noticed the above problem on the way home! It sounds like the noise you hear at highway speed when a rear window is rolled down. Sounds like it's in the rear of the car. The vibration can be felt in the gearshift. It starts at 45, gets worse at 50, then dies out at 55. It happens when there is forward pressure on the drivetrain. It stops when I let up on the accelerator. I've taken it back and they have called Detroit. Anyone else experienced this problem?
  • I took a 30 minute test drive in a 2009 CTS w/DI and PDR & PDW. I noticed exactly what you described. The 2009 I bought (exactly the same car, but non-DI engine) did not exhibit the condition you describe, not has it for the 3500 miles I have put on it.

I have no idea if the vibration/noise had anything to do with the DI engine, I just know the engine was the only difference between the two cars.
  • Well, my biggest concern with the CTS has come home to roost. I complained about the fact that both the 2003 and the 2008 (in fact all new CTS's) have no security for the contents of the car when given to a valet or other person.

My Ipod Nano is gone. It was in the center console the last time I looked, but that was several weeks ago. I have given the car to the car wash attendant several times since I last looked, and yesterday to the dealers service department. I have no way to determine who took it. :mad:

Thanks Cadillac. I can now continue to worry every time I give the car to an attendant at a hotel, car wash, parking lot or any where I need to have someone else move the car. I cannot check every time I get the car back to make sure the console, the glove compartment and my luggage in the trunk is intact. I have replaced the gas tank cap with a locking cap, but I don't know how to secure the various internal compartments.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I know what you mean, that would take all of 30 to 45 sec. I too can't be bothered taking up that much time as I got to use that time to figure out how to screw those jerks on Wall Street that have been screwing me all week. :P
  • Its really strange, Honda has set up my wife's car so that you can lock the folding seatback, the trunk, the glovebox and the gas tank door so you can lock them with a key (the valet key) separate from the ignition and the door. But Cadillac can't do it. You would think that for an extra $20,000 they could find a way. Thanks Cadillac.
  • What you are hearing may not be wind noise! It could be a harmonic vibration like I have on my new 08 CTS (which can be felt in the gearshift knob) .... which the dealer is still trying to determine where it's coming from! So far, they have balanced the drive shaft & installed a new differential .... now they have a Engr Tech coming to look at it and they are going to perform a Electronic Vibration Test. It has 300 miles on it and I told them I don't want a new car that's been disassemblembled and reassembled. Sure has dampened our spirits on our deam car!
  • What you are hearing may not be wind noise! It could be a harmonic vibration like I have on my new 08 CTS (which can be felt in the gearshift knob) .... which the dealer is still trying to determine where it's coming from! So far, they have balanced the drive shaft & installed a new differential .... now they have a Engr Tech coming to look at it and they are going to perform a Electronic Vibration Test. It has 300 miles on it and I told them I don't want a new car that's been disassemblembled and reassembled. Sure has dampened our spirits on our deam car ... car of the year!
  • No, what I heard was wind noise, however, the car also had vibration which could be felt in the gear shift, and the brake pedal. But, I only noticed this when I was at a full stop. I have read so many reviews on this car, both customer and professional, and I had never seen any complain about this until a couple weeks ago. I honestly can't remember the publication, but there was a professional review where they drove both engines and made a comment about liking both engines, however, if you choose the DI, you should expect some vibration that is not present in the other engine. So, unfortunately for you, I don't think your dealer will be able to fix this. I think it is just a characteristic of the engine. You will drive yourself crazy trying to fix this, and the dealer will probably just make things worse by ripping things apart.
  • It's funny that the vibration in the gear shift is now being mentioned. That is what actually killed my interest in the car when I drove it several months ago. Vibration is obviously OK in a manual trans but most people have learned to expect isolation from an automatic.
  • Man o man...I hear (actually read this alot) I have an 08 AWD DI and I have to say that I have none of this stuff. Car rides like a dream, quiet, fast, etc...Makes you wonder what can possibly happen on the assembly line that would make mine turn out perfect and so many others have all these issues.

The ONLY thing I do feel, and hear is occasionally when I tun the wheel all the way to one side, sometimes I get some sort of a 4WD resistance noice briefly while in that turn. I almost expect that cause every 4 wd truck I ever had made the same noise while in 4 wd in a full over turn. Other than that....This car rules!
    Hope you work all that out.
  • arby1arby1 Posts: 83
    Usually the satisfied people don't write comments . Also there can always be trolls writing . But many owners with problems turn to the forum for answers .
  • Ur right....I'm satisfied and not a troll:) I have this forum sent to my email cause I want to keep up on the car and the issues. I also have been able to help quite a few people with different things in the past too.

I'm not gloating that my car is perfect...I'm just thankfull and also wish those with problems the best in figuring them out. Your right..this is a great forum for all.
  • I think you are in the vast majority. I have several thousand miles on my '08 CTS and the only problem I've had was a sticky lock rod. While the dealer could not get to it immediately they gave me a brand new 2009 CTS loaner with 55 miles on it so I wouldn't have to sit in the waiting room while they fixed it.
  • All my problems came in the first 3 months and 1800 miles. Bad ABS sensor, leaking rear axle seal, and oh yeah, the complete replacement of the engine with a new one at 1800 miles. I will say, while knocking on wood, that since then the car has been trouble free and I don't have the wind and vibration issues that others are reporting.
  • richw5richw5 Posts: 152
    You are correct about the trolls. For the most part, I've stopped posting in Edmunds because of the trolls. This thread hasn't been to bad, but the "Standard of the World" thread thread is full of trolls who ruin it for those of us who enjoy car discussions.

For the record, my 03 CTS has been almost perfect. Other than a few sensor problems, which were fixed under warranty, the car has been exceptional.
    Recently the trunk struts failed and replacement costs were high due to a design change in the trunk hinges. I e-mailed Cadillac and they got the dealer to replace the struts and hinges, which were out of warranty, for half price. When I had the work done, the dealer picked up the other half of the cost, due to the fact that I was a "good" customer. I didn't buy the CTS from that dealer, but always take it there for oil changes and tire rotation. Now thats a great dealer and a great response from Cadillac. Thanks Cadillac.
  • I have had my 08 CTS for about 1 month. I noted a vibration coming from the back behind the rear seats. The sound occurs when a low vibration occurs. It can be heard when the speaker is playing low sounds and it has even occurred with the radio off and an outside vibration like in a parking garage. I am going to take the car over to the dealer for them to look at. Has anyone else had something like this?