Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• 08 CTS Light tan interior...dark brown dash:

Well with only 12,000 miles and a year and 5 months my drivers seat already has a wear rub crease on the drivers seat back part nearest to drivers door....yes I use cleaner and I have a job where I am dressed all the time so it wasn't a matter of getting in the car dirty. The seat leather seems thin and obviously "has issues" when it begins to show wear marks that cleaners and conditioners cant prevent. (not too happy about that) The dark brown dash still looks great (naturally no one is sitting on it ) and conditioners seem to keep it soft and colorfast. I use TANNERS leather conditioner.

I dont "know" but I would bet that the car will long be gone before this dash board turns from the sun. The seat leather however is pissing me off. I'm 220 lbs 6 foot. Later folks...
  • I didn't say I heard it, I said I read it in an article. It was on yahoo, a week or so back. As for whether the writer had his facts right or not, then we will indeed have to wait and see.
  • I believe the dash material is man made material instead of real leather like the seats and door panels. We are very careful with ours, keep a towel on the seat most of the time, but I have also noticed a crease beginning to develop. I have also had the black from the door weatherstripping wearing off on the cover on the door post. Luckily this cleans off the fabric very easily. Haven't figured out how my wife is doing this yet, either rubbbing the weather stripping and door post while getting in and out, or maybe when pulling the seat belt on. My 04 CTS had the ebony interior, and while not as pretty as the cashmere and cocoa, it was easier to maintain. However it wouldn't have looked good with the goldmist exterior, IMHO.
  • Hello All,

Just wanted the thoughts of others regarding the very poor gas mileage I am getting with my 2008 AWD CTS with the direct injection engine with currently around 5,500 miles. My daily commute is around 8.5 miles broken-down by 15% city driving and 85% highway driving. I wish my actual MPG was as simple as taking the weighted average of the vehicle’s estimated MPG (18 city/26 highway), given the break-down of my daily commute, but its not nearly that simple. In fact, I am consistently getting 15.5 to 16.3 MPG on a tank of gas. Are other members getting around the same?

Because it’s not cool just getting around 240 miles to a tank, I have really tried to watch my driving habits. I can reach the high end of my range (16.6 MPG) when I accelerate from a stop very slowly and keep my highway speed between 60 and 65 MPH. However, if I drive like a bat out of hell on a tank of gas I get the low end of my range (15.5 MPG), only about 7% less. This seems very puzzling to me as well. I wouldn't expect the two ends of the range to be so close.

Perhaps the most troubling aspect of this problem comes from the poor customer service that I have received from my dealer, Cadillac and GM regarding this issue. None of them seem to care, not even after I filed a complaint with the BBB. As we all know, GM is not doing very well and I guess, given their other problems, them caring about my MPG issues is like a waiter on the Titanic giving a damn about my displeasure with the location of my table. Bottom line: I think something is seriously wrong with my ’08 CTS’ MPG and they could care less. Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    What part of the country are you in. What is the weather. Is the route hilly or flat. Is the trip 8 miles one way or there and back. Lots of variables. If the trip is only 4 miles each way the engine is hardly getting warmed up. Even eight miles is not a long trip. How much idling do you do. How much waiting at stop lights. How much stop and go traffic. 304 hp is an awful lot of power for just short commuting, not that I do much more and I have not checked but I suspect my mileage is not any better, and I have RWD.
  • I have the 2 wheel drive DI. I have been averaging a little better then 20 MPG. I am happy with that result. My prior car only averaged about 18 MPG.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    I've just done some arithmetic on my gas log. I am getting 15.0 mpg city driving. On a trip in June from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and back I got 24.0 mpg.
  • arby1arby1 Posts: 83
    You do not want to accelerate too slowly from a stop . You do not want to accelerate like a drag racer , but you should quickly get to cruising speed . By being a too slow accelerator , you get a lower MPG .
  • 2008 Non di engine. My wife is getting anywhere from 14 to 17 city driving and it has gotten as good as 27 on the highway, but probably averages around 25. This is the MPG for the second engine, the first engine that was trying to burn water and anti-freeze didn't do anywhere near as well.
  • Thanks for the reply......
  • I have an 08 DI AWD and I get about 16 City...26 when I take a long trip on a flat road on the NJ Parkway.

Ya got to remember that these MPG stats are given by GM under ideal circumstances. I think your MPH will improve as you break in more but 16 MPG is about what I see. And my driving habbits are leadfooted. :)
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    For the person who posted that there was a hold placed on the CTS coupe due to the economy that I said was most likely false, I was right. In my Lansing paper today it was stated by GM that both the couple and wagon are on schedule to be released as planned. It said they were to far along to put a hold on. :shades:
  • I was that person that reported it. I didn't say that they were definetly postponing production, just that it was reported on Yahoo finance that they were delaying it and the Buick Lacrosse. Read the posts carefully, and maybe you won't start any misunderstandings on the board.
    You made it appear that I just decided to make up the report, which I did not. It was in an article on Yahoo finance. Evidently they were wrong. If you don't want information reported on here that others may not see elsewhere, then I guess you are out of luck.
    If I remember right you were the one of the people that attacked me when I reported my engine problems last year. At the time you and others tried to make it seem that I was making that up also.
    I will pay better attentions to your posts but only if you do the same. Here is the first part of my post: For the person who posted that there was a hold placed on the CTS coupe due to the economy No where did I say or even make it think you made of the post. All I did was say that your post turned out wrong. Since these are posts and really isn't time to write a whole 3 page letter covering every possible meaning I guess we both need to be a little more forgiving of other peoples meaning. The intent of my post was someone else was very upset after reading your post as he had his heart set on a coupe. My post was to let him and everyone else know that the coupe is a go. Yes I an others attacked (maybe your wording is a little strong) but I did come back and tell you a number of times I was glad everything worked out.
  • Go back and re read your post. "So far all we have is one person saying he heard____________________. " Lets wait for facts. No where did I say I heard, I said I read it. I didn't initially say that it came from Yahoo finance, but surely they are a fairly reputable source. it isn't as though I was quoting it from some blog. I personally don't give a rat's A** if they introduce the coupe or not, I was just reporting something that I had seen that wasn't mentioned on the board. This will be my last comment on this matter.
  • traderjtraderj Posts: 39
    Among all of the factors that affect mileage that have been mentioned here, the one that is probably affecting you the most has not been mentioned. That is weight! You have AWD which adds about 200 lbs, you may have a sunroof which adds over 100 lbs, and you may have several other options which in total could add even more weight. I have the base model with the base engine and I am getting about 16-17 city and about 28-30 on the hwy. My car weighs about 400 lbs less than yours. Thats like you carrying 2 adults with you wherever you go. This will greatly affect your mileage and is not taken into consideration in the EPA estimates. Now, I also live in Florida, which is at sea level, all roads are flat and the weather is nice all year round. So, everything works in my favor. BTW, you might also try a different gas station, I read an article recently which stated that there was a bigger difference in mileage among different brands of gas than is commonly believed.
  • Saddle soap and a soft cloth is far superior to dish soap and a paper towel.
  • I have a 2009 RWD with the standard engine and automatic (6100 on the odometer). I drove from Indiana to New Mexico and back (cruise set at 5 to 8 mph over the posted limits all the way), and I got 26.3 mpg for the trip using the miles driven divided by fuel used pencil and paper calculation method. Incidently the onboard computer gave me the same result as my pencil and paper.

I would suggest that 8.5 miles is a very short commute. My onboard computer always registers my worst mileage for the first 3 to 5 miles of any trip.
  • I had a chance to see the CTS Sport Wagon tonight at the South Florida Auto Show. I have to say it is the best looking wagon I have ever seen. My only concern is that the blind spot by the D pillars is enormous!
    I've had numerous cars with big blind spots, think old days when fastbacks like the Mustang were the rage and you learned to live with it and work around it with your mirrors and common sense. Think about the guy in the 18 wheeler, now there is a huge blindspot but they learn how to drive and have a lot less crashes per mile than the average joe six pack :P