Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• Top Gear didn't "hate" the CTS.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    readerreader,

You and I must of read the same article. Perhaps plekto, got a alternate copy ??? :surprise:

Rocky
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    You have to take the review Clarkson did in a typical British fashion - when he goes off on it for a good chunk of the review noting small things he doesn't like - it's pretty much your or my saying "it stinks".

But they did like how it drove(The V, a whole a lot, actually), to be sure. It just needed a better interior and features. And it was overpriced compared to the competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhqkV6iRbE0

Start watching at 7 minutes ;) He isn't in love with. The Holden Monaro is the same engine for loads less money. We don't get it here... Same speed around the test track in the rain, as well - within half a second. Over and over they say in various places on the site(s) about the CTS that it is cheap inside and lacks the refinement and precision of its European counterparts. "Like a big crude hammer" sums it up exactly.

OTOH... It's a *tad* cheaper than the BMW 5 series, to be sure.

But it does appear that the 2008 fixes the "cheap" factor, so it should be a better comparison. Just... Too bad we don't get the Holden.

P.S.
    http://www.topgear.com/blogs/drives/016-smart-fortwo/
    A nice review of the one coming to the U.S. this fall. OKay, more like the "one-half" we'll get :)
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    GMID means GM in your driveway. It's a type of discount that employees can give their friends and relatives. Basically, once you receive a GMID certificate number, you call a GM dealer and see if they accept it. If they do, basically go to the lot, pick out your car and you get the supplier discount automatically- no hassle and no haggling involved. Personally, I have used the GMID certificate on 2 GM purchases and it works awesome. Especially when GM dealers were not budging off of MSRP, it's an excellent way to get an excellent deal.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    That was a funny post. I agree with your sentiments 100%. I too thought this forum was about the CTS as opposed to "Merc1 airs his grievances against GM". Interestingly enough, you wont find me in the C-class forum reminding MB loves about MB's dismal quality of late. If I dont like the car I don't see any reason to post in a forum about the car. DOes that makes sense to anyone else?
  • 1. They tested both the CTS and CTS-V.

--Don't mix up the two; and don't mix up the TV show with the website/magazine. It's a TV show.

2. They have not yet tested the 2008 CTS.
    check out the new issue of MT when you can, there is an in depth article about the CTS with many pictures. They are impressed.
  • thebugthebug Posts: 294
    ggesq: Can this certificate be used if you order a vehicle?

thebug...
    Yes, because I know people that have done it. I never knew what the program was called since I never had any personal experience with it. It's basically someone like my father giving a friend a GM discount. I think it's at GM "supplier" cost though. It's still a good deal and will save ya a buck on hot models like the new CTS.

Rocky
    I'm still waiting for mine in the mail......

Rocky

Have you heard any rumors about the CTS-V besides powertrain ????

Rocky
    Yes, I KNOW they haven't tested the 2008. Nobody has. But thye sure seem like they are chomping at the bit to find one to test when they can.

The CTS they liked how it drove - but yeah it's understandably dated compared to the competition given that it's at the end of a cycle.

Personally, though, the only things that irked me were the huge amount of plastic(give me velour or something other than tupperware!) and the lack of MP3, which, while minor, it seems as if GM and Mercedes are just years behind the trends - as if a car stereo is something they have to offer and would rather just ignore entirely.
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    This is from CTS press release on media.gm.com. Check other models and you'll see that every DI application achieves superior fuel economy given the same overall displacement and gear ratio of it's port injected counterpart (obviously, with all things being equal such as weight). People seem to be missing the entire point of direct injection which are free horsepower and lower consumption.
    Nowhere on there does it say the DI engine will have better millage than the regular engine. Yes, you'd get a millage increase if all things were the same - but there's a 50 HP diff between the engines. You get either free HP or better millage but usually not both.

See the diff between an ES350 (regular) and IS350 (DI) - they're about the same weight (3500lbs) , both have a 6AT (and basically the same engine). Granted the ES is slightly more efficient due to FWD but that is a small diff. The ES (272HP) is rated at 21/30 while the IS (306HP) at 21/28. So the IS does get 34 "free" HP but the millage is not any better.
  • You gave us the wrong link and I couldn't find it over there.
    Yeah, I thought it was just me....Glad I'm not the only one. ;)

Rocky
  • topgun7topgun7 Posts: 409
    Sorry guy to interrupt your fun of BMW vs CTS/STS discussion. But isn't this an 08 CTS forum? There are plenty of board comparing different models. Why don't you guys take the difference to one of those board or through private email? It is a big waste of everyone time to read through all your posts about who say what. By the way I don't care what you guys think about how other model perform. I am not buying one of those model and neither did you guys. If you have some CTS information to share. Please do, I love to hear about it. Otherwise, have a life instead.
  • topgun7topgun7 Posts: 409
    Sorry guy to interrupt your fun of BMW vs CTS/STS discussion. But isn't this an 08 CTS forum? There are plenty of board comparing different models. Why don't you guys take the difference to one of those board or through private email? It is a big waste of everyone time to read through all your posts about who say what. By the way I don't care what you guys think about how other model perform. I am not buying one of those model and neither did you guys. If you have some CTS information to share. Please do, I love to hear about it. Otherwise, have a life instead.
    yes we are past that if you haven't noticed. You are kind of late. There is only one ocassonal visitor to this forum who wants to discuss things other than the CTS, we he's not posting everything stays on track.
    Sorry - the url works for me. Um.. just search on youtube for "CTS Top Gear".

But yeah - the new one - I sure hope GM makes it have a nice and tactile interior. Really - an interior like a S-class isn't more than a thousand or so more to do - it's mostly replacing pastic areas with bits of chrome and leather inserts and such. If GM can figure this out and stop doing the Alitma/Civic/etc routine of making stuff that looks expensive but it hard as a rock plastic and go with old-school cloth and leather and chrome, the naysayers will evaporate - because they already make superb engines and the cars drive great for loads less than the European choices.

90% of a BMW 5 series for 2/3 the price - if they can match the 5 series interior, BMW's gong to have problems.(the 3 series - it's fine, though - no real competition, yet, though a lot of peope are trying)
  • thebugthebug Posts: 294
    Personally, though, the only things that irked me were the huge amount of plastic

plekto: So, so many poster's are talking about not liking the plastic parts of an interior, that I just have to ask, don't all cars have plastic interior parts? I mean to date I haven't seen or been in a car that didn't have plastic included in the interior design. Further, many have mentioned that the said plastics look and feel cheap. Maybe I'm just missing something here. Please explain.

thebug...