Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yup, I've driven one of my student's CTS-Vs at the track. Nice car, a bit soft/disconnected steering on-track but overall a decent on-track car. If they weren't so expensive and I lived below the Mason-Dixon line it would be on my list of cars to own. Still though, throw in just a bit of rain, and I'll run all over one at the track with my 94 Legacy.

-mike
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Yep, I suppose the Legacy, will out run one in the rain...Well until you put on 4 rain tires on the CTS-V :P

The 2009' CTS-V could have as much as 600 hp. Now that will be one impressive car and as I've said before if the car can some how maintain it's current MSRP price I might be a owner of one. ;)

Rocky
    Here is the thing, with 600hp, it's really only good for one thing, drag racing. Oh and even with rain tires the legacy would be all over a CTS-V on the road course.

If they do sell a CTS-V with 600hp you can bet with options it'll tip the price to >$50k maybe even as high as $60k or more. Look at the SLR-V that is priced >$100k, last time I checked anyway.

Can anyone guess my favorite part on the CTS-V?

-Mike
    Motorsports and Tuning Host
    Here is the thing, with 600hp, it's really only good for one thing, drag racing. Oh and even with rain tires the legacy would be all over a CTS-V on the road course.

600 hp. is useable for more than just Drag Racing. :P

I agree in a road course the Legacy would eat the CTS-V's lunch. However on a large road with moderate turns the "V" would out power your legacy with rain shoes. :blush:

If they do sell a CTS-V with 600hp you can bet with options it'll tip the price to >$50k maybe even as high as $60k or more.

Well they cost $52K now. My best guess would me in the mid to high $50K range. Ya know maybe $56-58K seems about right.

Look at the SLR-V that is priced >$100k, last time I checked anyway.

You mean the XLR-V convertible or the STS-V ? The XLR-V starts at $79K and the STS-V strts at $77K

Can anyone guess my favorite part on the CTS-V?

I would guess the manual shifter ? ;)

Rocky
    I agree in a road course the Legacy would eat the CTS-V's lunch. However on a large road with moderate turns the "V" would out power your legacy with rain shoes.

Yup like I said "Drag" racing.

You mean the XLR-V convertible or the STS-V ? The XLR-V starts at $79K and the STS-V strts at $77K

XLR-V convertible. According to Cadillac.com it starts at $98,300 Just "built" one with Silver color and Black leather, $100,000 on the nose.

I would guess the manual shifter ?
    Engine and trans are nice, but they are useless without the Brembos! :)

-mike
    My mistake I must of clicked the wrong XLR, as not the V. Regardless the CTS-V is a nice automobile but not as nice as the 09' is going to be. :shades:

Rocky
  • Rocky / Ranger:

Car & Driver 2008 CTS

According to C&D article (link above) the rear legroom is up by an inch or so. I read somewhere that this is due the new "slimline" design of front seatbacks. Rear shoulder room is also about an inch wider as overall width grows by 2" or so. Legroom difference may not mean much, though, unless there's some lateral foot room under the front seats. With all the electric motors and stuff under there, it's pretty crowded under there in my 2003. My concern is more about rear headroom, which I can't imagine will be any better due to the sleeker design of the C-pillar.

But then again, what do I care, since I'm usually in the driver's seat? :shades:

Can't wait for the GM Dealerworld site to be updated to check out the option bundling, etc. 2008 STS, SRX and XLR have been up since April 2. The suspense is killing me! Watch this link!

Online Ordering Guide
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,505
    ... is up.
    Your Local Dealer ought to now be able to answer many questions...
    - Ray
    Waiting for the CTS-v variant....
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    I was just getting ready to post that. This car has impressive equipment levels. The good thing is you can get almost all of the options on either car so you arent limited.
  • The good thing is you can get almost all of the options on either car so you arent limited.

And that's the way it should be. Give me some choice in how I configure my car. Unlike Acura which is "all or nothing."
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    With the proper technique, you could manage to ride a *motorcycle* in the snow or on ice.

That's a bit of a stretch - a properly informed rider wouldn't want to attempt something like that in the first place.

Biker, who agrees that the avg persons' driving skills are way behind the capabilities of most cars.
    About the only thing I dont like is the wheel designs. I wish more than two were offered or at least two superior designs were offered. The equipment levels are great though, the car is lacking nothing.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Posts: 250
    rayainsw,

Is the order guide for the 08 CTS on the web?

I went to the order guide link in the previous post, but could not see any of the information. It appeared to be designed to print out info, but I'm at work and don't want to use the office printer for this.

Is there any way I can just view the specifics on the 08 CTS?

Thanks
    Bruce
    Select 'Print Book'.
    Select 'Print Model'.
    Click Print & it will open a new window - in Acrobat Reader.
    You can then save the file...
    HTH
    - Ray
    A bit confused about some of the interactions \ exclusions between the new "Collections".....
    what interactions are you talking about? On GMI people were saying there were errors in the order guide but I didnt know what they were referring to. I didnt see anything major when I looked at it.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    Did not work that way for me, but I played with it for a while and I finally got the information to come up and print (including all the RPO codes).
    Ray,

Thank you very much. That worked, and I saved a copy.

A couple of things I noticed are:

- You can get a split folding rear seat

- There are 3 suspension choices. I would be interested in the middle one: Sport with 18" all season tires and AWD.

- You have to pay extra for a compact spare, an inflator kit is standard, but no mention at all of RFTs (good)

- The curb weight for the RWD car with AT (for either engine choice) is 3568 pounds. That's a bit less than a BWM 535i with Steptronic at 3703 pounds.

- No specifics on the AWD

Bruce
    I was referring to the various footnotes associated with:

PDP Luxury Collection
    PDQ Premium Luxury Collection
    PDR Performance Collection
    Y40 Luxury Level One Package
    Y41 Luxury Level Two Package
    Y42 18" (45.7 cm) All-Season Tire Performance Package
    Y43 18" (45.7 cm) Summer Tire Performance Package

For example, re: PDR:
    2 - Not available with (PDP) Luxury Collection, (PDQ) Premium Luxury Collection, (MN6)
    6-speed manual transmission or Fleet order types. Available with (Y40) Luxury Level One
    Package, (Y41) Luxury Level Two Package and (Y43) 18" (45.7 cm) Summer Tire
    Performance Package. (P75) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) aluminum wheels with premium
    multi-coat painted finish and (QKE) P235/50R18 V-rated all-season blackwall tires are
    upgradeable to (P63) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) aluminum wheels with high-polished
    finish and (QUR) P235/50ZR18 Y-rated summer only performance blackwall tires when
    (Y43) 18" (45.7 cm) summer Tire Performance Package is ordered.

I simply need to spend a little time determining exactly what can & cannot be ordered together here.

Just out of curiosity.

- Ray
    Wondering when CTS-v details will be released – and what engines \ transmissions \ equipment will be standard & available . . .
    I wouldnt expect to see anything about the CTS-V until the Detroit show next year. Most are predicting it will have the Z06 engine but we'll see. Prior to that I read it would be getting a supercharged V8.
    Yep with 515-600 hp.

Rocky
  • ral1960ral1960 Posts: 74
    All those dimensions and curb weights are the same as the 2007's ordering guide, so we know some are incorrect for 2008. IIRC, Curb weight is over 3800 lb for the RWD version, 4000 for AWD, according to the January press release.

I assume the AWD system is the same as what's currently offered on the STS. That's probably why they widened the track, so they could use the same parts.
    ral1960,

Appreciate you solving the mystery. The info appeared to be in need of some editing.

On the AWD, I'll look at the STS threads.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • rpgorman1rpgorman1 Posts: 4
    I just want to make sure I'm reading this order guide correctly. It would appear you can order the 6 speed AWD transmission with the 300hp engine. I had heard that was not going to happen?
    Could be a 6speed auto. Isn't that the same trans that's in the Escalade/Denali?

-mike
  • rpgorman1rpgorman1 Posts: 4
    Don't know. But that set up sounds fine to me. I don't know why but I really like what they did here. I've owned a lot of vehicles including BMW but didn't go luxury with the last few. This may be the reason to go luxury again. I hope it drives as advertised...
  • len00len00 Posts: 22
    Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but I want to say I'm very excited about this car. I currently own a 2005 G35x. The car is great but I am disappointed in the interior. This new CTS appears beautiful inside and out. My only concern is the price of this car. In a few months you will be able to get a 2007 G35x (306hp) loaded (premium, navigation, tech. package w/ bluetooth, for about $38,500 (purchase price). It seems that the comparable CTS will cost closer to $45,000 MSRP. For those of us on the edge of being able to afford this type of car the difference between 38.5 purchase price and say 43-45 purchase price for the CTS is tremendous. I hope the CTS is competitive in price because sign me up if it is. I qualify for the GMS price so I hope I can get an '08 CTS, 300 hp, AWD, luxury package for close to 40. I'm keeping my fingers crossed... From what I can tell if this thing is priced right it's going to be huge.

Len
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    I would imagine that in a couple of months a fully loaded 2007 CTS will be available for substantially less than $38,500. You can't compare an end of the model year sale price with a new model year price.

The question is how will the 08 CTS price compare with a similarly equipped 08 G35.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,071
    While my wife was checking out an FX35, I looked at a loaded G35x. The interior was much better than the previous gen. Not quite up to Audi but certainly nothing to be ashamed of when compared to a BMW.

Fully equipped at MSRP? $40K.

Content?

Apparently more than the upcoming CTS.

Warranty?

60,000 miles, CTS 100,000.

Reviews?

The G is the Japanese Bimmer?

I have no personal reason to buy into or reject this notion.

I want to buy into the notion of the American Car is "at least" the equal of its competition.

I hope you are right about the price.

There is, other than patriotism, nothing at all that suggests the CTS is worth more than $40K FULLY equipped -- based on this brief and eye opening shopping experience.

Indeed, at $40K, the Cadillac is, other than its slightly longer wheelbase, difficult to cost justify when the G35x is so, er, reasonable.

Oh yea, the lease on an FX35 for 21 months 12K per year was $299 (MSRP $45K.)

Lots of competition, apparently.

This may make the pressure on the CTS good for us consumers.

I hope it is good for GM.

Maybe we need a merger. Too many divorces going on perhaps?

Just a thought.
  • len00len00 Posts: 22
    I agree on the comparison of '07 models to '08 models. I apologize for not being more clear. We have to keep in mind that the '08 CTS is being debuted "early" but it still is an '08. If the '08 G35 sedan remains the G35 and does not upgrade to the G37 then I don't think there will be any significant increase in MSRP or invoice. The '08 will essentially be a cary-over. What I was mostly comparing were the engines/options between the two vehicles.

2007 G35X :
    306 hp engine
    navigation system
    9.5 GB hard drive
    back-up camera
    adaptive headlights
    bluetooth
    all-wheel drive
    5-speed automatic transmission
    of course: leather, Bose, heated seats, moonroof
    all for about $38,500

2008 CTS
    300 hp engine (presumably)
    bluetooth (maybe)
    all wheel drive
    six speed automatic (one ups the G)
    navigation
    real wood trim
    of course leather, heated seats, Bose, moonroof (better view)

From what I've read on this forum and other places it seems as though this CTS may go MSRP for $45. Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for the CTS as I would have already purchased a new G if it were not for this car but GM does not appear to be breaking any new ground here other than being able to use 87 octane. If the CTS can be close to the G ('07 or '08) then with any luck the CTS will be in my driveway this fall... Many of the "features" being touted in this CTS are already in the competition's '07 cars. I have to admit though, the CTS looks beautiful.

Also, I think the 300hp engine should be standard rather than an upgrade from the 258hp engine.
    Mark,

One area where the G35 may not compete well with the 08 CTS is interior room, if that is a factor. On paper, the 08 CTS is a near clone of the 5 series size wise, and I found the 5 series noticeably roomier than the G35.

Thanks
    Bruce