Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    I just checked it yesterday, it was 0% for 36 month; today is up to 60 months.

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/experience/summer_event_08.jsp?evar10=CTS_GA- LLERY_BOTTOMPROMO3_FCA_SUMMER_EVENT_MLP
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    It is for 08 models only, and it is still 36 months in some areas. You must enter your zip to see if the 60 months applies to you.
  • briantucsonbriantucson Member Posts: 23
    Another way to interpret it.

Since the dealers don't have any inventory on the CTS (at least in AZ), it could be that GM is simply trying to draw people into the showrooms hoping to get a deal.

"Sorry we're out, but you can order an '09...or perhaps you'd like to step up to an STS"

On the '08 CTS, I don't see the 0% financing costing the General much money.
    I saw the ad on TV last night. "08 Cts 0% for 60 months." However, not too many 08's left, and they will go fast because the price of the 09 is up 2.5%
  • nathessnathess Member Posts: 11
    What is a Homelind Transmitter?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Built in garage door opener located in the headliner just above the rear view mirror.
    You'll find hundreds of 08 CTS in California not selling as fast as GM was hoping for, and the dealers are willing to sell them for a minimum profit (at invoice minus discounts). For example, just try zip code 92807 you’ll see an abandon supply of all colors, options and trims.
    GM wouldn't spend $millions to nationally advertise the "CTS 0% for 60 months" on TV for nothing.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    California has always been a tough nut to crack for domestic automakers. Even with a product like the CTS, it will take years to change buyers' habits. (My uncle and aunt in Los Angeles have been driving Mercedes sedans for 40+ years) The CTS is a bonafide hit in most markets but California will take time.
    Here's just a dealer in Las Vegas has over 70 CTS almost half of them 2008 and the rest are 2009:

http://www.findlaycadillac-saab.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&make=Cadilla- c&model=CTS

Ironically I spent 5 days in Las Vegas strip a little over a week ago; I didn't see a single 2008/09 CTS.
  • briantucsonbriantucson Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for the update.

I knew that the People's Republic of Kalifornia was different. I had no idea that style didn't matter.

Guess I'm still living in the USA. Tough for my fellow citizens.

I'm keeping my powder dry.

-Brian
    "I knew that the People's Republic of Kalifornia was different."

Yeah they are. No new drilling allowed. No new refineries allowed. No new diesel powered cars allowed. BUT they drive luxury foreign cars, which require premium fuel, AND they complain about the price of gas.
    Just for the record, Las Vegas is in the State of Nevada and doesn't belong to the People's Republic of Kalifornia. The good news is they're both part of the USA.

May God Bless You and Bless the USA
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Nevada is now a state???...on Bonanza, it was just a territory, and that show was 1959-1973... :P ;):blush:

I'll check with Pa, Little Joe, Hoss and Adam...the one who probably really knows is Hop Sing...:):):):):):):)
    Nevada yes, but I thought Kalifornia went back to Mexico.
    Actually, Kalifornia didn't go back to Mexico "au contraire mon frère", the Mexicans came back to California.
    Either way, the good people of Ca. lose. :sick:
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    Strange, I thought this forum was about the Cadillac CTS, and not about western geography. :confuse:
    No you are wrong. The CTS is such a great car there is no problems with it so we are getting extra credit on western civilization.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Maybe so, but let's steer it back to being strictly about the CTS. :shades:
    Speaking of CTS problems, is anyone else finding the headrest a little to far forward for comfort? My head is constantly against the headrest with no room for forward and backward movement and so it feels uncomfortable.

I have had to place a pillow across my shoulders to alleviate the situation.
  • james104james104 Member Posts: 21
    At first I did, but I messed around with the electric seat controls (not just the backrest angle), and I found a position to solve the issue. If you have the upgraded seat package then:
    The seat bottom cushion has 8 adjustment positions:
    1. Forward, 2. back, 3. front of seat angle up, 4. front of seat angle down, 5. back of seat angle up, 6. back of seat angle down, 7. entire seat up, 8. entire seat down.

In addition: backrest angle up and back, and do not forget about the lumbar which might help " push" you away from the headrest if this is comfortable for you.

Good luck. :)
    It took me about ten minutes to get the seat adjusted right for me (I did it at the dealership before I signed my check), but I am very comfortable and my head position is about two fingers from the headrest.
  • jgaffney1jgaffney1 Member Posts: 41
    Ahhh the CTS headrest.....It's the little things that count. This is the first car that has the headrest positioned where it ought to be. My head never encounters it except on those days where I am dog tired I can tilt my head back a half inch and comfortably come in contact with the headrest and still drive the car normally.

Typically when you try to use any headrest you are then looking down to try to see out the windshield. This one is perfect and comfortable too.....
    Topped off my tank at 171 on the odometer (about 50/50 city/highway), because I was passing a station at $3.84/gallon. It took 7.8 gallons.
    One other thing I noticed. If you raise the headrest, you get more room behind your head before it comes in contact with the headrest due to the angle of the headrest. While sitting in the drivers seat, twist right and adjust the passengers headrest, you will see what I am describing.
    I have had "The Beast" as I like to call her for 5 days. 3.6 DI engine, rear wheel drive. I have 186 Miles on the odometer (she had 8 miles on her when I picked her up). I do about 60% city, 40% highway driving and currently have an average fuel economy of 16.7 (it started at 1.4 when I left the dealer), and an average speed of around 19.7 if I remember correctly. I have not put in any gas yet. Of course, this includes idling time as I wait on people when picking them up and setting all of my driver preferences in the car!
  • tbennett70tbennett70 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I'm finally glad to see GM come out with car that can "compete" with the A4, 3-series, and C Class. I grew up in the Detroit area and drove GM cars my whole life until I moved to Los Angeles. I've had an Audi and a couple BMWs since I've been out here. I agree with those guys talking about LA people not getting on board with American cars....It's "cooler" to have an expensive German car...haha. My point is, I finally can get a GM car that I like and use these damn GM card earnings (I've always like the trucks, best hands down).

Does anyone know of a good website for aftermarket parts/kits for the CTS?
    Any chips that boost the HP?
    I've heard of some electrical problems. Anyone else?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, but I don't have time to read 2374 posts.

BTW, my wife has an 08 C300 completely loaded. It's a great car, but I'm still getting the CTS.

Thanks.
    Welcome to the forum tbennett70.

The CTS has been very popular in its new incarnation, but less popular in California where German luxury cars tend to dominate. One thing to note with the CTS is that although it is frequently compared against the C-class, A4 and 3 Series, it's really exactly the size of a BMW 5 series automobile (all important dimensions are literally within .5 inches of each other). It is expected that Cadillac will eventually introduce a smaller vehicle for the world market (the Saab-derived BLS is sold only in Europe). And although the CTS lacks a few features of the 5 series/E-class...most notably an optional V8 engine, the upcoming CTS-V with 556 HP is designed to go hunting against M5s and E63 AMGs.

Regarding your questions, I don't know of any chippers for this car but I suspect the CTS-V will get someone to tackle that since the engine is a cousin of a hot breathing Corvette engine (the previous CTS-V had chips available for that car). I'm not familiar with any widespread electrical issues with this car in monitoring this board over the last year. The most traffic was generated by a member who had a bum engine which GM eventually fixed properly. As far as aftermarket parts go, GM has a site you can start with (gmaccessorieszone.com) but I suspect that Google will be your friend on this one.

Good luck with your purchase. Let us know how it turns out.
  • tbennett70tbennett70 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

The CTS-V is impressive (engine HP), but the pics I've seen of it don't look that impressive. I think the CTS has better styling. We'll see!
    I was a little surprised too that the front clip of the '09 CTS-V looks more like the old CTS-V than the other '08-'09 CTS's. I'm sure some engineer would say it was because of airflow to the engine but we'll probably never know for sure.
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    The headrest was placed forward in 2008 to comply with a new federal mandate to prevent whip lash . The government felt that too many people kept the headrest too far back . The rule change is to help 20,000 motorists yearly prevent whip lash .
    I'm aware that the headrest was moved forward to prevent whiplash, and I agree that preventing whiplash is a good idea. I just think that some accommodation could have been made for a variety of driver sizes and postures, such as the Saab active headrest. Lets not kill the drivers in order to save them.
    Six words you NEVER want to hear from the government: "we just want to help you".
  • nathessnathess Member Posts: 11
    Yes, The Garage Door Opener option can be added to any CTS. In the upper console I had the ceiling lights, roof window controls and the shade control but NO Garage Door Opener.

The dealer tried to order it but GM said that my car ID was not designed for it and they would not sell it. I went to the GM CEO and finally got a person on his staff to talk to me. They agreed that ALL Cadillac's for the past 10 years came with them but not the new CTS. They refused to help me. WHAT A COMPANY.

My dealer finally found another dealer that had the option on ONE of their cars and they used the other cars ID to try to order the transmitter and cover plate. It's hard to believe but they would only sell the transmitter but not the cover plate. The only thing the dealer could buy with the other cars ID was a new console and remove and replace my existing console.

That's what we finally did and $400 dollars later I had the Garage Door Opener on my car. Normally it would be easier to use the control that came with my garage door but I wanted the three buttons for my three garage doors.
  • cadillacmanazcadillacmanaz Member Posts: 11
    THeres not a chip thats out currently but the CTS computer is designed to detect and run off of two fuel tables 87/91. You can through the computers tune the vehicle to run striclty on the higher table and gain an additional 60 hp. But have the dealership do this otherwise you run the risk of voiding the warentee.

If your dealership will not do this goto http://www.lundcadillac.com . Their performance department can and will retune the engine for you.

Also if HP is not your thing you can also reprogram it strictly for the lower octane table and boost fuel economy. However I currently do not have any information on what that expected gain would be on the CTS.
  • adnanzadnanz Member Posts: 10
    tbennett70....are you sure that the dealer will "retune" the engine??? Where did you get the 60 hp number from?? How much torque is increased?? And this doesn't void anything from GM/Caddy?? I don't think just be 're-tuning' logarithms the engine can produce 60 more HP...you need a supercharger, turbo, re-work the air intake etc to get that number....60HP increase is a lot more HP to get...that's nearly a 20% increase in HP...hey, if it possible, I am swinging by the dealer on Monday...with my RWD and FE3 set up...I will have a lot of fun with 60 more horses to play with...please let me know...THANKS
  • cadillacmanazcadillacmanaz Member Posts: 11
    I actually got the 60 hp figure from my performance dept. I'm in the sales dept. and am just repeating what I've been taught. What happens is that when GM designs an engine they purposefully do not tune the engine for maximum output (usually they leave 50-60 hp available depending on model). What my performance dept. does is simply tap into the unused potential.

Now of course there are exceptions to every rule. For example the 09 CTS-V is 558hp detuned ZR1 engine but if you change out a few items ie: blower and super charger, we are guestimating at present that we can push it to about 800Hp. Of course we have to wait and see what the reality is when we start to get them in.

Ps. if your contacting my dealership to have this done can you please let them know I refered you so I get the credit? :) ty
  • srynsryn Member Posts: 29
    AWD, DI, PDQ, Y41, FE2, White Diamond Tricoat/Cashmere, extra wood package (the additional wood truly enhances an already elegant look). Sticker 50,535; supplier discount; was going to pay cash but was happy to oblige GMAC's 60 month - 0% deal once I opened up to a 2008 model (see below).

Thoughts:

Fit and finish is first rate, electronics are functional and of high quality; more features than I can count, but they do seem to be fairly intuitive to operate. Bluetooth works very well; On-star is a plus. Seats are very firm, but once you find "your" position, are also supportive and comfortable. The steering is precise and the turning radius is decent for a car of this size. (Of course I'm coming out of an RL; Acura's have the turning radius of a battleship). I love the styling of the car; outside and in, and am now 650 miles into it.

Originally I intended to custom order an '09 because I didn't want the Ultraview Sunroof. Both the salesperson and, later, the dealership manager, sat with me and advised candidly that they'd tried on a number of occasions to order cars w/out the Ultraview Sunroof, but were unsuccessful on builds where the buyer wanted most of the other luxury features. In other words, customers who, like me, essentially wanted PDQ minus the sunroof, weren't seeing their orders filled. This is consistent with earlier posts on this site where people attempted to order a loaded CTS w/o the sunroof and their order simply never got built.

Once I relented on the sunshade, then the existing 08's came into play. It seems the only real difference between the late '08 models and the new '09s is the encased color coordinated antenna housing at the rear of the roof. The '08 antenna is black.

Concerns/disappointments:

- surprising amount of road noise from underneath the car and wind noise off the mickey-mouse-ear shaped outside mirrors

- (I'm going to struggle for words to describe this one) there is a pressure build up that you sense in your ear at around 40mph. It peaks at 45, then quickly dissipates as you accelerate beyond that. It you hold at roughly 45 (at least on my car), the pressure persists (annoying). It's the same sensation as in my previous car when I would travel at that speed with the rear passenger side widow about halfway down (dog traveling in back seat). Barely cracking either of the front widows would immediately dissipate the pressure. In the Cadillac, the pressure is there despite the fact that all 4 windows are closed. Any explanations? Can anyone put a term to the condition I'm describing?

- Unfortunately for me, I'm finding the ride joltingly harsh. I test drove a demo w/ the salesperson on two different occasions. While the suspension certainly was more stiff than the RL to which I was accustomed, 650 miles of ownership has told me it is FAR MORE rigid - unpleasantly so - than my previous RL and, surprisingly, the 3 series that preceded the Acura. I expected and wanted the CTS's ride and handling to be more rigid than the RL, but it also is noticeably more harsh than the 3 series. Forget about speedbumps and potholes (trunk cargo literally shifts on those occasions), mere dips and wrinkles in the road fully resonate through your being. And I have a FE2. I can't imagine the FE3 version. I'm hoping that I grow accustomed to it, but at the moment, I'm sadly of the opinon that I made a mistake. I chose the loaded CTS primarily over the 4.2 A6, with the M35/45 and 5 series also under consideration (the plenum shield look eliminated the "refreshed" RL from consideration).

The CTS is a wonderful car and I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one. If I can offer any advice, however, make sure you include parking lot speedbumps and a stretch of road with less than ideal pavement on your test drive itinerary.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    "In the Cadillac, the pressure is there despite the fact that all 4 windows are closed. Any explanations? Can anyone put a term to the condition I'm describing?"

There is a term of physics that describes it, as the air pressure of the moving vehicle as it relates to the motion...mine was just the opposite on my Crown Vic...open just a rear windows and the ear pressure was painful...but opening both windows on the passenger isde, drivers side closed, caused a whirlwind effect inside the car that is quite nice and has quite a cooling effect under 80 degrees...plus, I like the wind feeling without actually having it slam into my face...

Does it go away with your windows closed if you simply turn on the vent like breaking a vacuum, and you can direct the air vents any way you want...
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "I'm finding the ride joltingly harsh."
    What tire pressures are you running?
    2022 X3 M40i
    Per my onstar report of 5 days ago, 3 of the 4 are at 37psi, the 4th is at 38psi.

P235/50R18 All Season (97V) Michelin.

I'm really not comparing the car to softer riding competitors (Acura and, obviously, Lexus). I don't and didn't expect that level of insulation. But even compared to competitors that handle as well (Audi, Infiniti) and better (BMW 3 & 5), the ride is harsh and frankly disruptive; especially the back end - it bounces particularly hard.
    marsha,

No, air conditioner has been on at all times. I'm in Texas. What you described w/ your Crown Vic is the same experience I had w/ the RL (described above). Opening either front window even a hair solved the problem. I'm not physicist but guessed that having only the back window open actually created a vacuum effect of sorts. Opening a front window restored air flow and normalized the pressure. I don't understand why it's now happening (to some extent) with all windows closed on the CTS.
    Per my onstar report of 5 days ago, 3 of the 4 are at 37psi, the 4th is at 38psi

My 07 AWD calls for 30 cold, all the way around. You should be checking them at least monthy. The on star report is worthless as who knows when they did their readout, it could have been while you were going down the road on a hot day. First thing in the morning using your display and the car is either in the garage or shade check them and look at the sticker on the drivers side door post and it will tell you what is needed.
  • ctshadafloodctshadaflood Member Posts: 21
    Just about one year later, The $ 48900 loaded CTS had two leaks in the sunroof making water run into the car though the A frame. The Fuel Pump went the 1st week with 400 mile on the car. Since then all is ok except the hard ride has created more rattles than a NYC Gypsy cab. Im Very disapointed. Craftmanship is still crap. No wonder GM is hurting
  • badhugobadhugo Member Posts: 10
    After trying the car out over the weekend, I bought a new 2008 STS on Monday. It's equipped identically to the CTS you bought, even down to the colors. The dealer knocked nearly $10,000 off the MSRP and it wound up a little over $600 less than a similar CTS. They wouldn't deal at all on a CTS.

Anyway, I have not experienced the cabin pressure problem you are having but the ride over RR tracks and road strips is definitely more harsh than my Sable was. The dash readout for the tires says 37 PSI all around which agrees with my pressure gauge. The door sticker calls for 30 PSI all around but the first status E-mail from OnStar that came yesterday recommends 30 PSI in front and 32 PSI in back. I sent an E-mail to Cadillac Contact Us for clarification and I will report back when I get a response. As soon as I find out, I will bleed the pressure down to Specs to see if that helps.
    "My 07 AWD calls for 30 cold"

37 \ 38 does seem high -
    what does the "Tire Loading Information label" show?
    2022 X3 M40i
    "The door sticker calls for 30 PSI all around"

Dropping from 37 \ 38 to 32 or 30
    will likely change the ride quite noticeably...

Good luck!
    2022 X3 M40i
    Your tire pressure is way too high. Adjust it to the recommendation on the door sill, and you will find the FE2 suspension quite comfortable.
    The sticker as yours says calls for 30 and that is what I have used for 2 years now and mine rides great and tire wear is even. I don't understand why you have to wait when the answer was right in front of you. On-Star is nice but it isn't the book as they are used on many many different kinds of vehicles. The sticker was put there for a reason, why can't people believe it.
    Apparently not. I was most hopeful when I read your response that the solution was at hand. I examined my door sill sticker and, to my chagrin, it reads 35psi for these tires. I measured each and all four were in the 36-37psi range; this only 2 hours or so after highway driving on a particularly hot day in Texas. Unfortunately for me, the car is apparently riding as it is intended.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your response.