Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• Don't give a crap about what is going on with Toyota. Didn't buy a rice burner. If you think GM is paying attention and trying listen to this. The service manager at the dealership has called the area Cadillac Rep four times, still hasn't returned his phone calls. If that is paying attention and trying then I need to sell snowballs in Alaska. GM doesn't care, they have made the sale and now don't care. Went by the dealership to get some personal things out of the car. Talked to the mechanic, he says when he gets the authorization to tear into it he is betting he will find a cracked head. That is real quality.
  • As I have said before, I had no problems with my 05 CTS. If I could get it back I would. Was a great car although it was not optioned out nearly as well as the 08. I know I sound like a jerk but I am mad, my wife and I are also approaching retirement, her sooner than me and we decided to spend a little extra money on this car she said it was her retirement car. I can see her spending a lot of her retirement time taking it to the dealer for constant problems. The service manager at the dealership offered free lifetime oil changes today, said it would help makeup for making payments on a car I can't drive. While I appreciate his offer, I think Cadillac owes me a hell of a lot more for the lemon they have stuck me with and all the frustration. To show me that they really care about their cars and owners they are going to have to do something to make this mess "right". I don't know what this would be but it is a lot more than merely patching the car back together and sending me on my way. Thanks for letting me vent, now if JD Powers would only send me a survey. :lemon:
  • tntmythtntmyth Posts: 70
    I can't blame you rcantwell. If I had a car that had a bad engine, cracked block or anything like that in the first 1,800 miles BEFORE my first oil change even, I would have an attorney on it if necessary. Cadillac should give you a new car under the lemon law. I have a friend that returned not one, but two Lexus GS300 cars that had front end issues. Both cars would not align and were tearing up the tires. The first time, Lexus gave him a new car. The second time, they gave him his money back and he went and bought an Acura TL. That's the legendary Lexus customer service and it's why Lexus has a loyal customer base.
    Basically, a brand new car should not have major powertrain issues until it is well up in miles. I can understand minor problems, like sensors, power window switches or even the air conditioning compressor being replaced. But if the block is cracked...forget it. Thats unacceptable for a brand new car with 1,800. You should not have to put up with them tearing the engine apart. IMHO, you should not accept them giving you a new engine. It is highly unlikely that the technicians at the dealership can put that engine compartment back together like the factory assembles the brand new car. As I mentioned, even Lexus makes lemons occasionally. It happens. But the question is, how will the manufacturer post sales customer service deal with it? My opinion... Cadillac needs to give you a new car and use the old one for target practice.
    My 2001 Isuzu Trooper has 59,000 miles on it. I have not even had to replace brakes yet. The only things that have gone wrong were a leaky gasket on the transmission, an electric window that was rattling. Thats it.
    Also have a 2002 Mazda 626 with 53,000 miles. We had a hood latch that was rattling when car was idling. Just needed tightening. Thats it.
    Before that, I had a 1995 Mazda Millenia. No problems until over 80,000 miles. Then it was a transmission sensor switch that almost cost me $3,000. Luckily the service tech took pity and repaired the switch for me instead of making me buy the whole $3,000 switch assembly.
    Before that, my Mitsubishi Mirage went over 140,000 miles before I sold it. I only had to replace the rear wheel bearings, hoses and belts.
    I am sure that your car is the exception although I have read several posts here about people having to deal with repairs with their new Cadillacs. But I have also read posts about people having no problems at all. Its also true that I have read about Toyota people having some quality issues.
    Point is that you should not expect major engine, transmission, or any drivetrain problems in the early life of a car, let alone the first 1,800 miles!

I hate to say this, but I have noticed that any products that I have bought from cars to stereos that were actually assembled in Japan were just exceptional in reliability. My Trooper, Millenia, and Mirage were all actually assembled in Japan. I am still using my Yamaha receiver and the original remote that I bought in 1994 that were assembled in Japan. Japanese work ethic and attention to detail is amazing. You want a car with almost absolutely no problems? Look for the models that are assembled in Japan. Look at Consumer Reports ratings on the Mazda 3 and Lexus, models made in Japan.

On another note, the problem is, I don't live in Japan. I see our economy falling to pieces around us. Toyota has now replaced GM as the world's largest automobile manufacturer. Most everything, furniture, cars, clothes, electronics, appliances, that
    we buy is made in China, South Korea, or somewhere else but here. Thanks to VOIP, everytime I call any help desk or tech support, I am talking to India, Pakistan, the Phillipines, and the Dominican Republic. We are buying most of our oil in the middle east at almost $100 per barrel. So if all the manufacturing and jobs and MONEY are moving overseas, what do we expect will happen to the U.S.? The only successful large American corporations are those that have brought their manufacturing and customer service overseas. It's the only way they can survive. That makes the Bill Gates and Steve Jobs of us are continuing to get rich. But the rest of us are sucking wind and it will get worse. We are flushing ourselves down the toilet. What do we expect? We are reaping what we sew.

I salute GM for stepping up to the plate and building the Cadillac CTS, Buick Enclave, Chevy Malibu and GMC Acadia. I am sure there are more great models to come. And the new 2009 Lincoln MKZ from Ford looks awesome as well. I read earlier a post here that someone had a Chrysler 300C with no problems. Detroit is building these cars and giving it their best shot because they don't want to throw in the towel and they believe they have a chance to come back. They are showing that America can still build world class cars that can compete. I am drooling over the Cadillac CTS and the new Lincoln MKZ coming out looks pretty impressive.
    http://www.lincoln.com/reachhigher/?intcmp=B_MKS_LFutureVehicles_ReachHigherHome- - - - - _20080128
    I think they are now for the first time, rivaling Lexus IS350, Infiniti G35, Audi A4, BMW 328i and Mercedes C Class. If the cars are good, I for one will give them their due consideration.

Yes I am a sucker for an underdog, especially an American underdog. I hope that Ford, GM and Chrysler are able to pull a comeback out of their hat. I want to support the American car industry before it is relegated to being small cottage manufacturers just making trucks and cars for the U.S. government. I hope that I get a good trouble free car. The 2009 CTS is still the front runner. I am watching these forums closely. I am hoping that Cadillac and GM in general is not willing to give up its' gains by not taking care of customers.
  • knotemknotem Posts: 62
    You have every right to get frustrated rcantwell. I returned back to Ford a 1991 Aerostar “Eddy Bower Edition” after 11,000 miles and 10 months of driving for just a very tiny oil leak in-between the engine and transmission. The dealer unsuccessfully tried to fix the leak twice. Each repair time was about 3 to 4 days because they had to remove the transmission and reassemble it back to the engine. I was very angry, then I called Ford headquarter and they offered me my money back or a full credit toward a purchase of any new Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury car. And that was only a $22K Ford not a $40K Cadillac.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    This discussion is all about the 2008 CTS. It is NOT about what you think of another member and it especially not about name-calling and personal insults.

I do have some suggestions....

For those who are experiencing issues with their vehicle, go to the CTS Group page and look through the discussion list for an appropriate place to post the problems you're experiencing, i.e., brakes, transmission, engine, etc. Believe it or not, but there are manufacturer reps that lurk throughout our Forums. I'm not saying there is one here as I honestly do not know, but I have seen a rep or two make their presence known and offer assistance....especially in the discussions concerning mechanical issues.

If you are having a good/bad experience with the dealership, you can post a review for them via the Dealer Rater & Reviews system. This is an excellent way to inform others in your area of your experience. You can begin here: http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/drr/jump.html

And finally, you can post a review about the vehicle itself in the Consumer Ratings & Reviews. Begin here: http://www.edmunds.com/apps/ratings/ratingsIndex.jsp

Some posts have been removed and I trust that everyone is capable of keeping the personal jabs and insinuations to themselves.

Thanks for your future cooperation.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• bdingbding Posts: 13
    I think I was the one that posted about BSM's. I purchased them from http://www.brighttrim.com color matched to my 08 Thunder Grey. Very good instructions for install, because I live in cold country, I had the dealer install them for $50. They look GREAT on the car, just like they were OEM.
  • Thanks I will look into it !
  • Thank you -- bding-- I am going to order the BSM and give it a shot--- Thanks again for your reply!
    gottavio
  • Update, GM has refused to do anything except repair the car. Would not consider a new motor or anything else. Customer service kept assuring me that it would be repaired to GM standards. For my trouble and frustration they offered a certificate worth up to $200 good toward oil changes and tire roatation. Told them I could get the oil changed for $60 and they could keep their certificate. Also told them I could now see why Toyota has surpassed them as #1. This is the quality and customer service you get from GM.
  • arby1arby1 Posts: 83
    If the car is under warranty for 4 years , use it and then get rid of it if it is giving you trouble . You will have to do what they want if it is not a lemon . Don't worry about a new engine or a fixed engine - it can be put in without any problem . Try to enjoy it when it runs well and assume that it will be fixed properly .
    Don't get annoyed at trolls . BTW , I had a CTS 2005 , and I now have a CTS 2008.
  • I do feel a little bit better after going by the dealership today. I just went in the back door of the shop where I knew my car was and talked to the two mechanics that are going to be working on it. I told them upfront that I was the jerk that I was sure they had heard about. They said they had just been talking about that among themselves, not that I was a jerk but, at how upset and angry they would be if it were their car. They couldn't believe that GM was going to patch it up. Anyway, the teardown is tomorrow. Today they put a dye in the radiator and ran it till the engine got good and hot and then let it cool back off all day. They said when the special light is put on it any crack or other inperfection in the head or block will show up. Also said sometimes you can't tell that a head gasket is leaking but with this stuff they will be able too. Also reassured me that they felt my pain and they would both do everything they possibly could to put the car back right. Also told me that if GM tries to pull a fast one if the engine is damaged too bad they will let me know. Told me to just bypass the service advisors, come to their door knock on it and they would let me in. Amazing how two mechanics can give more customer satisfaction than the whole GM customer service hierarchy. We'll see what happens in the next week.
  • arby1arby1 Posts: 83
    Good luck .It is always best to be nonconfrontational .
  • I see that Cadillac has announced that they will build the CTS coupe based on the concept that was unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show. They will start production in June of 09. A convertable model is expected sometime later in the year.
  • rvothrvoth Posts: 147
    I feel your pain about the engine . I know a GM mechanic who has been in the business over twenty five years . He has told me that when these engine and heads are produced at such a mass production pace that it's common to get hairline cracks , around 30-35% are defective. The problems usually will shows up in the first couple of years not right away like yours.
    I agree that the mech's are very genuine and will do their best in repairing the problem . They are the true customer service, not the B.S. and partial truth the service center tells you.
  • 30-35% of the engines have hairline cracks? Wow! If true, that's ridiculous. How can a third of the cars coming off a line be ready to break in the first couple years? I don't see how they could stay in business.
    I was reading the lastest reviews here on Edmunds for the 2008 Cadillac CTS. One of the comments was the the "front seat cushions should be longer". I was kind of thinking the same thing when I sat inside one. Interesting that I read that here in a review. For those of you that have already purchased the 2008 CTS, do you feel or did the thought ever cross your mind that the front seat cushions seemed a little short?
  • jkr2106jkr2106 Posts: 231
    around 30-35% are defective

I don't doubt that a mechanic would say that, but c'mon--that's absurd! As a mechanic he probably only sees problemed cars, so I think he has a bit of an adverse sample selection bias.

The problems usually will shows up in the first couple of years...

So, in the first 2-4 years a full third of GMs engines will fail? Yeah...I'd take that percentage with a boatload of salt.
  • I traded my 06 STS for the new CTS. I found at first the seats were short for my longer legs, I'm 6'2". It was a serious consideration before buying the car. So, I would get in and out of each car a number of times and spent quite some time just sitting in it. What I figure is that with every car there are compromises.

I've now driven my CTS on a 450 mile trip, one way. My body has adjusted to the difference in seats, and I find the car quite comfortable on longer trips. I also realized that the entertainment I have with my CTS far outweighs the seat length.

My AWD has every option. I had a blast in the Idyllwild snow a couple of weeks ago, and felt very secure in the worst of weather which confirmed my suspicion that this was the best decision I made.

Take the time, drive the BMW and Audi. The seats are a little better, but try to figure out how to turn the radio off without having to read a book.....

Good Luck! :)
  • "around 30-35% are defective"

Ridiculous assertion. No manufacturer of any product with a defect rate like that could survive in today's competitive environment.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,311
    casting "defects" are defined.

All castings have defects, but only a very few slip through the inspection & classification processes meant to eliminate the ones that will actually fail in service. It's not too far-fetched to posit that 30-35% of automotive castings have surface indications of one size or another. So long as the defects aren't linear & beyond the length that experience has shown could allow them to grow into something significant, it's no harm/no foul.

Something like what the meaning of "is" is. There are defects and then there are rejectable defects.
  • adnanzadnanz Posts: 10
    I highly doubt 1/3 of engines being rolled off the assembly line are defective. That is a gross exaggeration. With every manufacturer, there are manufacturing issues, some more, some less. I agree, no way a company can survive by selling 1/3 crappy engines. I'm sure the number of bad engines are more like 1%, if not less. Unless the engines are flawed, which I doubt.
  • Engine update Friday Feb 1st. Basically I still don't know anything.They have the engine torn apart and can see where the dye/water is getting in one of the cylinders. Problem is they don't know how it is getting there. No visible cracks in the head, block, or head gasket. They have the head at the machine shop now checking it out, but the service manager told me he doubts they will find anything. The dye should have shown a crack if there was one. His best guess is that the block casting is porus letting the water in that way. He is working with Cadillac technical services, trying to get authorization for a new engine, what I wanted in the first place. It's been in the shop for 8 days this time and he admitted Caddy probably wouldn't make a decision till Monday at the earliest. That means with shipping time for hopefuly the new engine, and disassembly, reassembly and installation, I am looking at it being in the shop for another week to week and a half. That probably puts me up to about 26 days or so in the shop since the first of the year. Oh, I forgot!! Caddy :lemon: offered me a free oil change. At least this time the rental isn't a Cobalt, the Grand Prix while no Caddy is certainly much better than a Cobalt. With rental car fees, all the problems the first time in the shop, and now the engine, I can take solace that GM hasn't made a penny on this vehicle. Too bad they just don't get me a new one, or money back, and take this lemon to Detroit to study how NOT to build a car. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • "The first time, Lexus gave him a new car. The second time, they gave him his money back and he went and bought an Acura TL. That's the legendary Lexus customer service and it's why Lexus has a loyal customer base."

Apparently not too loyal, since he went out and bought an Acura.
  • Lexus did not want to sell him another car after declaring two lemons. It was like, take your refund and go away!
    Alot of these castings that have defects that are not visible with the human eye. There is a series of NDT non destructive tests that can be done on these parts to find fatal cracks and imperfections. Different types of tests are Ultrasonic, Magnetic Particle and Liquid Penetrant which gm favors to find the cracks/leaks after a problem crops up. GM uses a liquid penetrant with a flourescent light to excite the particles which shows where exactly the leak is.

If GM were to do these tests on the engines before assembly, the price of your car would GO UP in price because these procedures are very time and money consuming. Usually these type of tests are done on race car engines and Aircraft parts ,sheet metal and engine turbine components . Parts like this if they fail will have disastrous results.

So some types of defects are OK and some reject able defects will get by GM . They can't and won't do these NDT's tests as they are too costly and time consuming so we as consumers get a mass produced product.
  • Seems there is a bit of a pattern with this customer.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,311
    Thanks for the education.

What is your source for stating that GM does nothing beyond visual inspection of their castings?

I've only been working aerospace castings for 27 years, so there's always more to learn.
    You do know the different types of NDT testing then. You must preform some type of testing on the cast that are used in aerospace industry. Dye Penetrant on non ferrous material like magnesium, aluminum and titanium and magnetic particle test on ferrous (iron) like crankshafts and iron heads. Ultrasonic test are used on thick castings or in areas where Magnetic or Liquid tests can not be performed. Much more portable to use and accurate to find the flaws inside of the material than liquid Penetrant.

GM probable uses other tests than visual inspections to find internal casting defects. They probably don't use any of these NDT test as they are very time consuming. Just think how many vehicles GM uses this 3.6 liter engine in.... Cadallic SRX,CTS, DTS, Malibu , Acadia ,Saturn Vue maybe one or two other vehicles.That's a very high demand for this engine so an educated guess is ther will be a few defects arising from such a high production.
  • jkr2106jkr2106 Posts: 231
    ...so an educated guess is ther will be a few defects arising from such a high production.

Agreed. a few, not a third! Plus, that post said defective...not "few defects"--two completely different ideas. I can easily see how gm would permit the sale of cars with defects if they didn't manifest in like 12 years or something, but I doubt they'd sell something that would have a 30-something percentage of failure in the first "couple" years of ownership. That was just misinformation, plain and simple.
  • first and formost i want to thank rcantwell for taking the time to inform the public of his screwed up caddy. i don't understand all the negative post . it's amazing to me how soo many people want to crank on rcantwell. the guy got a bad product . he never said all caddy's are bad, just this one and he was originally treated like crap. if more people would voice the truth about these corporate products perhaps the products would improve. he's paid over 40k he's got the right to boo or cheer. it's nice to know not everyone is a corporate schill.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I feel for him, it is all in his attitude. I don't feel like I have to listen to his 4 letter words in his posts. That was totally uncalled for. Af far as his car if it was mine I too would be raising a ruckus.